To-Do's

Soundless

 

(A/N) Unbetaed, for now!

 

You were interrupted mid-bite by a subtle rapping at the door. You blinked at the large object; it seemed so far away. With a groan, you stood up from the ground, placing your food gingerly on a plate, and made your way for the door. Your adrenaline was wearing off and you were starting to feel the full impact of the day’s events.

“Hello?” You opened the door and a smile instantly appeared on your face at the sight of the smiling old man before you.

“Hello, Eunmi. I’ve brought your bags up for you.” The landlord said. He sounded tired, as if he had just run a marathon. He gestured towards the suitcases clustered in front of his legs and asked, “Is this everything?”

You scanned the bunch of suitcases and nodded as you counted them each one at a time. Once you were sure they were all accounted for, you looked back at the landlord with an appreciative smile. “Yes, they’re all here, but you really didn’t need to bring them all the way up here.” You shook your head and looked at him apologetically. “I could’ve done it, myself.”

“Nonsense,” the old man chuckled, waving away your comment with his hand. “I was happy to do it. Are you settling in alright?”

“Better than alright, thank you. The apartment is everything I could’ve asked for!” You threw a glance over your shoulder back into your quaint apartment overlooking the city. Yup, it was definitely better than alright.

The other’s eyes crinkled into little half-moons at your answer and your heart nearly melted at the adorable expression. “I’m glad,” he declared with a firm nod. “Well, have a good night, Eunmi.”

“Goodnight!” You bowed deeply and waved as he headed down the hall to the elevator.

Once the man was gone, you began the process of dragging in your suitcases. There weren’t many of them at all, but you were already tired from the day and didn’t really feel much like dragging heavy bags through your home.

After what seemed like forever, all of your bags were lined up neatly underneath the window in your bedroom. You quickly finished your supper and cleaned the dishes before letting out a large, not very ladylike yawn. You shook your head in an attempt to rid yourself of the drowsy feeling, but there was no use. You thought that if you were so sit down on the hard floor right then, you would instantly fall asleep.

You flicked out each light in the apartment as you headed for the bedroom, only stopping once to stare out the large window in the main room that looked out over the city. The nighttime view of Seoul from high up had to be the most beautiful thing you had ever seen. You smiled to yourself and turned away from the window, fearing you would stand there for hours just staring at the city if you didn’t move soon.

You stumbled into the master bathroom and took care of your nighttime beauty rituals at what seemed to you like a snail’s pace. Boy, were you tired. With another wide, loud yawn you spread your light blue sleeping mat out on the floor and plopped down, staring at the ceiling with an awed look on your face. Your first night in your new home; the home you had worked so hard to obtain. It was beyond anything you could have dreamed of.

The sounds of the city touched your ears softly as you lay there. To most people, the sounds of cars and music and people at night would prove disturbing, but for you they melded together into one long, peaceful hum. It was like your own, personal lullaby. You drifted into a deep, comfortable sleep, the shadow of a smile still lingering on your face.

--------------------

Accustomed to waking up early, considering you grew up on a farm where rising with the sun was practically part of the job description, you had no problem getting up the next morning. The warm, subtle light of dawn crept in through the large window and the shadows of the sheer, white curtains played across the floor.

You let out a satisfied hum as you stretched your arms high above your head. You could barely even remember falling asleep, and you were completely shocked that you hadn’t woken up in the middle of the night like usual. You had never gotten a full night’s sleep, from what you could remember, until that first night in your apartment.

“Time to get up!” you told yourself. You sprung up from the mat and got right into doing your morning exercises. “You’ve got a lot to do, Kim Eunmi, a lot to do!”

You rattled off your list of to-do’s as you did some jumping jacks: you had to eat breakfast; unload your suitcases; head out and find a job, not coming home until you had applied to practically every shop, café and restaurant in the area;  go check out furniture shops; and, quite possibly the most important thing of all, sample all the cheap street food you could get your hands on. It was going to be a busy day.

After your morning exercise, you hopped into the shower and cleaned yourself up. You then proceeded to unload all of your suitcases, excluding the one that held your clothes. You stacked your collection of stuffed animals along the windowsill in your bedroom and placed your sports trophies and family photos on the window in the main room. You folded up the sleeping mat and blanket and tucked them neatly into the compartment beneath the bedroom window.

Feeling the morning slipping away, you glanced at your watch and a pained expression crossed your face. “It’s already seven thirty!” you screeched, streaking across the apartment and into the kitchen to grab something to eat.

You stuffed some leftover kimbap into your mouth and downed a cup of banana milk before spinning back around and running into the bedroom. You threw on a blue, long-sleeved shirt and shimmied your way into a pair of skinny jeans. You tied your hair up while simultaneously swishing mouthwash through your mouth.

In record time, you were fully dressed and ready to go. At the door, you threw a quick look around the place to make sure everything was in order before tossing your backpack over your left shoulder and exiting the apartment.

--------------------

“One, please,” you sighed as you stalked up to the counter of a small bubble tea shop you found on some quiet street. “Green tea flavor.”

“I’m sorry,” the guy behind the counter began, biting his lip, “but we’re out of green tea flavor. Is there another flavor I can get for you?”

You slowly lifted your eyes from the counter to stare blankly at the cashier’s face. You were so exhausted, hot, and thirsty that he could have given you spoiled milk and you’d be thrilled.

“Miss?” he pressed, raising an eyebrow.

You swallowed dryly and shrugged. “Just get me any flavor, then. I don’t care.”

Sensing that you really meant for him to just grab you whatever, the guy nodded and got to work at the machines immediately.

The streets of Seoul were so dangerous! You couldn’t even count the number of times you’d nearly been run over by careless scooter delivery boys. For the crazy number of cafés and shops all over the city, there weren’t many looking to hire anybody at the moment. It made sense, though; most places had already hired their summertime employees. To top it all off, furniture cost practically an arm and a leg!

Your inner ranting was interrupted by the clearing of someone’s throat. You shook your head and looked over at the large, plastic cup of chocolate bubble tea and then up at the guy behind the counter. He wore a concerned expression, but there was also mild curiosity held in it.

“How much?” you muttered, reaching for your backpack and pulling the zipper open. You extracted your Big Bang wallet and leafed through the measly amount of money you had remaining.

“Two thousand won.”

You grimaced and painfully removed two, thousand-won bills from the wallet, handing them over to the cashier sadly. You watched as he slammed on the keyboard and shoved the bills into the drawer of the cash register as it sprang open.

“Thanks,” you grumbled, shoving your wallet back inside the now burdensome backpack.

“Hey,” the guy said quickly as you turned to walk out the door, “wait a minute.”

You raised an eyebrow and waited for him to say something. Instead, he walked out from behind the counter and grabbed a paper off a bulletin board on the wall. He scanned the paper swiftly before closing the distance between you and offering you the sheet.

“What’s this?” You took a loud sip from your drink, nearly choking on about thirty tapioca pearls, and took the paper from his hand. A quick look revealed to you that it was an application. You cocked a brow and gave the other a hopeful look. “Are you guys hiring?”

A small smirk turned up the corner of his mouth and he nodded. “Yeah, we’re hiring.” He bit his lip once again and tilted his head to the side. “Do you need a job?”

You let out a burst of birdlike laughter and smiled. “More than you know. When can I start?”

The guy chuckled and tapped his index finger against the application. “After you fill this out.” He took his hand back and crossed his arms over his chest. Raising a teasing eyebrow he said, “You’re really that confident you’ll get the job? It’s hard work, you know.”

You rolled your eyes while reading over the contents of the application. “I grew up on a farm,” you scoffed, “this is nothing.”

The boy cracked a smile and nodded. “You from Busan?”

“What gave me away?” you teased. Your accent was, admittedly, pretty thick.

“Oh, I dunno. I’m Woohyun, by the way.”

You finished reading the application, a feeling of confidence restored in you. Your eyes flashed up to meet Woohyun’s smiling ones and you nodded. “Kim Eunmi.”

He smiled and you observed that his mouth never really closed completely. “Well, Eunmi-ssi, I look forward to working with you.”

“Same to you, Woohyun-ssi,” you said. The other returned to his position behind the counter and you sat down at a table to fill out the application.

Well, you could say you accomplished at least some of your to-do list.

 

 


 

Sorry for the wait! But here's chapter two, and a new character. It's Woohyun from Infinite! I just love him so much ;A;

Anyway, please comment, upvote, and subscribe

I'll put out a new chappie ASAP, so look forward to it!

Annyeong~