V: First Date Aftermath

The Western Couple

 

{Chapter 5}

 

Nattie snorted into her food. “Oh, gosh, Livia. That would happen to you.”

 

“Shut up,” Livia grumbled, stabbing at some of the chicken on her plate. She knew Nattie was teasing, and honestly, Livia couldn’t have expected anything different, seeing that if their positions were reversed, Livia would be laughing too.

 

Nattie sighed, regaining composure. “Seriously. You guys walked into another filming?! What show was it?”

 

Guerilla Date,” Livia answered quietly, a small smile on her face. She kept her face down though, not wanting Nattie to see how amused she was with the memory of last night’s events.

 

Nattie barked out a laugh. “Oh, I will definitely be watching that show then. Who was filming?”

 

Livia took a bite of chicken. “SHINee’s Minho and Onew.”

 

Livia dropped her spoon in shock. “Seriously? And you thought the crowd was for you?”

 

“Hey!” Livia hissed. “We didn’t know SHINee was even in the same area, and we were being followed around by cameras. Don’t tell me that the first thought that came into your head if you had been in my place would be ‘Oh, SHINee’s Onew and Minho must be around filming Guerilla Date,’ because I know that’d be a lie.”

 

“I’m not saying I would think that specific thought,” Nattie told her older sister with a shrug. “But I wouldn’t automatically assume that the crowd was there for me.”

 

Livia snorted as she reached across the table to serve Nattie more food. “Please. You’re more self-centered than I am. You would have been asking people if they wanted your autograph.”

 

Nattie didn’t respond, which confirmed Livia’s comment in the elder’s eyes.

 

After a little while, Livia decided trying to have a conversation again, so she asked, “Do you know what a ‘Bbangkku’ is?”

 

Nattie sighed. “Liv, just because I’ve been speaking Korean for a few years longer than you doesn’t mean I’m an expert.”

 

“But you know more than I do,” Livia pointed out.

 

Nattie looked up at her older sister, chewing her food slowly, trying to decide whether or not to continue talking. She made up her mind, swallowed, and said, “I have no idea what a Bbangkku is. Why?”

 

“I don’t know what ‘Bbangkku means, but apparently, Day Day has one,” Livia said with a shrug.

 

“Hm,” Nattie said, thinking. “Maybe it’s some kind of code for something….Maybe it’s  treasured item that his mom gave him just before she died…” Nattie sighed, thinking of all the tragic or romantic possibilities.

 

Livia was positive her sister had gone crazy. “You watch too many dramas,” the elder said, tossing a piece of lettuce across the small table that separated them. “Besides, when I met him, I was supposed to ask ‘How is Bbangkku?’ I think it’s a living thing.”

 

A LOVE CHILD!” Nattie cried, so loud that even the cooks, barely visible from where they sat across from the kitchen, looked over at her.

 

“Shut up!” Livia hissed. She quickly bowed to the other patrons and workers as an apology for her sister’s cry.

 

“Sorry…” Nattie sighed, obviously embarrassed. She began moving the food on her plate around a little, trying to make herself invisible. “At least….At least I said it in English…”

 

Livia sighed. She couldn’t ever stay angry at Nattie, no matter what she did. Nattie never did anything to spite someone, she just had trouble using her head to sift through what things she should say…and what things she shouldn’t. Though it often got her and others in trouble, it was occasionally funny.

 

Livia was the quiet, perpetually polite sister. Nattie was the outgoing, sometimes a little to honest sister. Between them, things worked.

 

I doubt it’s a love child,” Livia said, continuing the conversation in English in the hopes that at least some of the other people in the restaurant weren’t privy to the conversation. She was obviously well aware that a lot of Koreans understood a lot of English, or were even completely fluent, but speaking in English seemed to give them some privacy. “Don’t you think that the media would have found out about that by now?

 

Maybe…but it’s not like he’s a part of Super Junior,” Nattie said. “He isn’t all that well-known. Yet. He really only just got started, but still. Between his lack of fame, age, and nationality, I don’t think the media would pay attention.

 

Livia countered, “His nationality may be one of the reasons that they would look, though. Think about it. Jay Park was scrutinized so much that it got him kicked out of 2PM. And remember when it was announced that I would debut? I had to live in a hotel for a month outside of the city in order to avoid reporters.

 

That’s because you obviously have no Asian heritage at all. You’re the first ‘Westerner’ to make it here,” Nattie pointed out as she ate.

 

“Can I get you ladies anything?” a waiter asked, suddenly appearing at their table.

 

“No, thank you,” Livia told him with a smile.

 

The waiter nodded, but didn’t move, which made Nattie look up. “Could we get you anything?” she asked, full of food.

 

The waiter looked sheepish and turned a slight shade of pink. “I’m really sorry, but aren’t you Livia Jung?” he asked quietly, looking at Livia.

 

Nattie squealed a little and kicked Livia under the table, as though Livia hadn’t heard what the waiter had asked.

 

After shooting her younger sister a glare, Livia answered, “Yes…” and turned slightly red herself. She wasn’t often recognized in public, and it was the first time anyone had approached her while she was with family. Honestly, Livia had hoped that no one would ever talk to her while she was with Nattie, only because Livia knew that things like kicks under the table would happen, and all that would lead to were a lot of bruises.

 

The waiter shifted uncomfortably and said, “I’m really sorry, but could I bother you for an autograph. My family really likes your song.” He held up a piece of paper and a pen.

 

“Do you like her song?” Nattie asked sharply, making Livia return the kick. The last thing Livia needed or wanted was a bunch of people thinking she was rude.

 

“Of course!” the waiter cried. “I like it. My sisters like you a lot,” he said. “We took them in them after their parents died, but they were born in America. They like knowing that someone who isn’t of some Asian descent can become a singer here in South Korea.”

 

“Aw,” Nattie sighed.

 

“How old are they?” Livia asked, taking the piece of paper from the waiter.

 

“Twelve and ten,” he said, his voice raising a little, happy to be on a comfortable topic.

 

“And their names?”

 

“Annie and Sarah.”

 

“Your name?”

 

“Lee Woosung,” the waiter answered, blushing a little more.

 

Livia finished writing her note and handed the pen and paper back.

 

“Thank you so much,” he said, bowing. “This means a lot.”

 

“No problem,” Livia said, being completely honest.

 

The waiter walked away, obviously pleased.

 

“I believe you just made his day,” Nattie said with a little smile. After thinking for a second, she added, “Maybe we should have asked him what a Bbangkku is…”

 

-           -           -           -

 

You took her on a walk?!

 

Yeah…What’s so bad about that?

 

Come on, man. A walk?!

 

Dude, why are you yelling?

 

Both of you!” Inati cried, interrupting Day Day and Daniel’s argument. “Shut up. Daniel, Day Day can do whatever he wants with his wife. Go back to writing.” Inati looked back to where Jisu and Youngwon were sitting and added, “And speak Korean. You two should know as well as anyone that an argument seems a lot worse if you don’t understand the language.”

 

Day Day and Daniel both answered with a glum “Okay,” but that didn’t stop them from glaring at each other.

 

The band were all in one room, as they had been for almost three hours, working on their writing skills, and, as was the truth with almost any group of people in tight quarters, patience was always tested.

 

Jisu, sensing that there was still tension in the room, but down the notebook he had been writing in and asked quietly, “How is Livia, Day Day?”

 

Day Day, a little taken aback by Jisu’s soft question, stared at the young singer. “Um…do you mean her health? Or her personality?”

 

Youngwon, hearing the conversation, looked up, not bothering to pretend like he wasn’t listening.

 

“Both,” Jisu answered.

 

Day day first answered, “As far as I know, her health is good. She seemed fine last night. As for her personality…” Now Daniel and Inati were looking at Day day, intent on knowing more about their “sister-in-law.” “She’s quiet, but I think because we’re both coming from America, she’s a little more comfortable around me than she would be around you guys. And she has a good sense of humor.”

 

Youngwon entered the conversation, asking, “If she would feel uncomfortable around us….does this mean that we won’t meet her?”

 

Day Day chuckled, seeing everyone’s reaction. They were all making it very obvious that they wanted to meet Livia. In the younger one’s case, Day Day found it cute. For Inati, however, his eagerness unsettled Day Day. Day day knew that in terms of looks and professionalism, Inati had him outdone by a lot. But Day Day pushed back those feelings and said, “No, you’ll still meet her. I just don’t think she’d be comfortable alone with you guys.”

 

Everyone nodded understandingly.

 

“Oh! Aren’t you supposed to get a newlywed house, or something?” Inati asked excitedly. “When are you getting that?”

 

Day Day shrugged and picked up his pencil again. “I don’t know. Soon, I guess.”

 

Sensing that the conversation was over, everyone went back to writing.

 

After a while though, Day Day suddenly announced, “Oh, and I’ll be taking Bbangkku out with me on one of our dates soon.”



 

Thanks for reading/subscribing~!

 

 

Have a date idea?

Let me know!