FINAL

The Date at Midnight

 

‘They were on about seeing a film, later.’ You’re mumbling since you know your father’s not really listening. He’s too busy checking his phone, looking at his calendar. It surprises you when he actually replies.

‘Who?’

‘Uh, Junhong and – and the others.’

‘Oh, cool.’

You can’t really be bothered saying anymore, as you think the message has gotten through. Your father leaves for a while, and it’s nearly time to close down the bar. You wait for the drunkards to drown out of the place, leaving a quieter environment in which you can work in. Your phone starts to vibrate in your pocket.

‘Hey, Dad.’

‘Hey. Listen, what shall we eat when you get home?’ You sigh a little at his words. This is slightly awkward since you thought you had told him about the film.

‘Uh, I’m not going to be home later… I’m going to see a film, remember?’

‘Oh. Ok. With Junhong and the others.’

He cuts the call after you confirm. You carry on cleaning down the table tops, mopping up any spillages but then, your phone vibrates once more.

‘Dad?’

‘Hang on just a moment, why didn’t you ask me properly about this film?’

‘Uh…’ You’re almost stuck to say anything. This isn’t even a big deal, right?

‘I mean, you didn’t even clarify you wanted to go. You – you kind of did a catch 22, hoping I wouldn’t realise? Like, I don’t know… In a way, you lied to me.’

‘Dad… I..’ You can’t believe he’s just accused you of lying. You were plainly too tired and sick of his voice to even say anything.

‘Did the person on the other line die? You know, you could just say ‘dad, I’m sorry if you misunderstood.’ But I guess …’

‘Dad. I’m sorry.’ You mumble, taking a deep breath.

‘Yeah.’

You place your phone on the table you just cleaned and stand for a second, taking in the words he just said. Catch 22? Honestly, you felt so ill today since you started your period, which was the worst way to start your bloody week, and he’s insinuating you’re lying? Truth is, you just couldn’t be bothered explaining all the details. It was only going to be you and Junhong, not the others. You never said that since your father doesn’t even seem to care about Junhong’s existence, which pisses you off to the core. Well, he can go himself.

You don’t know why but his words keep replaying in your mind. Catch 22. Like I’m even that clever.

The door to the kitchen creaks open and you jump a little, looking over your shoulder. You sigh in relief as you can hear the rumbling draft, from the cellar. You turn back around and you don’t realise it, but you’re crying. You don’t even feel like going anywhere, not now.

As you shut your eyes, wiping them with your sleeve, you feel a hand on your shoulder.

‘.’ You mumble as Junhong frightens you. He’s laughing as you glare. But his expression turns dull. He frowns, eye brows furrowed as he catches sight of your half-dried tears, and your watery eyes which are ready to release more.

‘Hey, what’s up?’ He asks, pulling you into his chest. You sigh a little, taking in his scent. You feel totally idiotic for even crying but your emotions are driving you crazy. You started the day off acting completely y at your brother since he was being the usual annoyance he is, taking his time in the bathroom. And you even argued with your mother over the stupidest thing. It was stupid, really, and you hated this time of the month because you could never really tell how you would feel, and it wasn’t like you couldn’t control, but sometimes, you just didn’t have the strength, or you were too lazy, to sort your emotions out.

You step away from Junhong and begin wiping your eyes. But he steps closer and you allow him to wipe them instead. You hate how wonderful the person stood in front of you is, and how your father just doesn’t accept him. It hurts so much, and even Junhong knows it, too.

‘Is it your dad?’

You nod at his words, sighing once more. ‘Look, I’m not really in the mood tonight. Can we go another night?’

‘But you know this is my only free night, in a long while.’

You start to shudder, feeling slightly cold as the draft from the cellar enters the bar with force. Junhong is looking directly at you, aware something has really upset you.

‘I mean, sure. If you don’t feel like it, then fine. We can spend that time here, alone.’ He says, taking your hand in his. You look at him, he who is moving his face closer to yours. You clasp your eyes shut, lips perked. But Junhong feels like playing with you. He leaves a little peck on your cheek whilst you stand there dumbfounded.

‘Hey.’ You whine, playfully nudging him. Junhong shrugs, with a small smirk. ‘Let me just get my bag.’ You say, deciding that since you’ve already argued with your father over this, there’s no point in ruining your plans.

‘You still want to go? But what about – ‘

‘Forget it. This is the only night, in a while that I can spend with you. I’m sick of having to explain why I want to spend time with you, Junhong. If he can’t see that I’m your girlfriend, then that’s his problem.’

‘He doesn’t really like me.’ Junhong mumbles, grabbing your coat from the cloakroom.

‘He will, in time.’

‘I guess.’

‘I’ll buy the tickets, you just wait somewhere quiet.’ You say, smiling at Junhong.

‘But, there’s hardly anyone here.’ He whines, ‘It doesn’t matter. We can go together.’

‘We can’t risk making a careless mistake.’ You protest. ‘Imagine if we got caught. You do realise the effect that would have on your – ‘

‘I get it, I get it.’ He mumbles trailing off towards the almost empty arcades.

You finally meet up with Junhong and both walk into the almost deserted cinema hall. Whenever you decide to go see a film, you always make sure you enter and leave whilst the lights are switch off, or else you both know what could occur.

Junhong grabs your free hand, since you’re holding your drink in your left hand, and leads you to the back row. You both take a seat and relax.

‘I’ve missed you.’ You whisper into his ear as he takes a sip of your drink. ‘I’ve really, really missed you.’

‘Me too.’ He replies, turning to face you. ‘You know, I’ll come see your dad sometime. I’ll talk to him.’

‘Can we not talk about him, right now? He’s annoyed me so much.’

‘It’s fine. But you’re okay, right? I mean, you’re happy with me, right?’

‘Of course I am. I love you.’

‘I love you, too.’ Junhong whispers, kissing your cheek. He looks at you with a smile and turns to watch the remains of the trailers. ‘I’m saving your kiss for last.’ He sniggers as you slap his thigh in annoyance. He knows you’ve wanted to kiss him ever since he got you from work.

Junhong walks you home. Your arms are intertwined, and you’ve buried your neck into the crevice of his collar bone. He doesn’t want to let you go, but he has to. He looks so damn tired, and so do you.

‘Would you like to come in, for coffee?’

‘You know I don’t drink that stuff.’ Junhong chuckles, seeing how bad you’ll miss him.

‘I know.’ You sigh. ‘Well, text me when you’re next free.’

He kisses you, finally. That kiss you have awaited for the six weeks in which you haven’t seen him. You forget your troubles and delve into the depth of the kiss, wanting to make this moment last. After a few moments, he releases you and smiles, ‘I will. Good night.’

‘Good night.’