Phone Call

Phone Call

Phone Call

by: theninjaghost

 

Would you ever realize that you’ve been waiting for someone, that someone that you love the most and the one you want to spend your life with? But the thing is, she will never be coming back. In just one phone call, the time becomes so fast. 

We are on junior high school, me and her we’re really a great friend, more than just a friend actually. We’re an item for almost of a month, but the both of us denying the ‘rumor’ but it’s all true, we want to have our own privacy. But there was a time that I really want to shout that ‘she’s my girl, so dare to steal her away from me or be dead’. It was break time already, I’ve decided to talk about it to her, I saw her lying on the grass with the big tree shading her. “Dara?” I called her, she opens her one eye and smiled at me, I was mesmerized by her beauty; she was indeed really the girl that I want to spend my life with. She sit up straight, lean on my shoulder, “How is your morning Ji? Sorry I could join you going here, something urgent happened at the house” she said, I glance at her a little bit so that she won’t fall at my shoulder, her glittering skin that was being reflected by the sun, her beautiful brown eyes and her kissable lips, what can I say? I was really stunned, “Ji?” she called me so softly but with a bit of worry “Hmmm? Oh yeah… Dara” I called her name again, “what is it my dear Ji Yong?” she said as she closes her eyes, “what do you think of…” but before I could finish it “I was thinking about it too Ji” she suddenly said it, I was being caught off guard.

“Are you sure about it Dara? I was little bit not sure to suggest that to you but, you already made up your mind” I said to her, “Well, secret never be forever a secret Ji, and there’s nothing wrong about saying the truth, since we are already graduating within 1 month now Ji” she said. 

The truth was being revealed, people were not really shocked on our revelation since they already can see through their eyes that we are already dating for 2 years now, and we are inseparable. “I knew you guys we’re already dating! What took so long to admit it though?” our friend, Bom scolding us, Dara we’re just giggling at her.

We are the most popular couple in our junior high school days; most people will just be appearing in front of us, asking for our autographs and photos, we really looks like a celebrity couple, it’s nice to have “fan” in our school, every time that I want to have some private moment with my girl, fans we’re always popping in front of us, “It can be helped Dara, I regret that I admit that we are dating” I frustratedly said to her that made her smile disappear, I was lost, I don’t know why, her precious smile became a weak curve on her lips, I cupped her “hey, I really didn’t mean to say that, it’s just that, I just want to have some private moment to you… but they keep on popping in front of us” I said as I hugged her, I hush her to me her calm, it’s bad to make Dara angry, she was so fragile, fragile as a glass, that if you suddenly dropped it will break into small pieces.

Weeks after weeks, Dara become so weak, I always asking her if she’s okay, but she keeps on saying she is but I can see to her eyes that she’s not, but I guess she doesn’t want me to worry. “Dara, I’ll walk you home alright?” after visiting her in the infirmary, our friend Seung hyun hyung told me that Dara was being brought to the infirmary because she collapsed during her gymnastic period. “Are you okay, Dara?” I was so dead serious and worried about her, I never seen her like this, so pale and susceptible. I held her hands and say to her “I’m always here beside you Dara, remember that” then a tear flows on her eyes.

After I walk her home, I remember her face, the face that it suddenly cries, a silent cry; it tells me something that, she is sorry for something, it didn’t let me sleep that night, I was so bothered about it, that I can’t even call her, I’m afraid on what will she say to me. I sit up straight at my bed, I heaved a sigh, then I looked at a small picture frame at my side table, “Dara… don’t do this to me, it’s making me insane” I said as I tightly hugs it.

Morning came, I didn’t get that much sleep last night, I was thinking about her, I looked at the window, imagining my girl, “Dara, are you really okay?” I asked myself. I face palm, I really don’t know what to do now. I begin to feel something is really not right at the moment when I saw her lying on the bed in infirmary, it’s not her, and it’s not my girl.

I was in the school, searching for her, but no sign of Dara, weeks after weeks after weeks, there’s still no sign of Dara, I was so worried about her, “Did something bad happened?” I asked my not knowing that our classmate is already looking at me, when I felt that they we’re looking at me my instinct tells me to look at my side, my instinct was right they we’re all looking at me but they immediately looked away.

It’s weird because Dara’s phone was off, there’s no one in their house, “why did Dara left without me knowing it?” I wonder, at that I decide to go home, I was tired. At my room, I was staring blankly at my phone, waiting for someone calls me, but there’s no one called me. It made me crazy at the point that I couldn’t go to my school, why? I was so dead crazy about Dara not calling me and not showing her up for almost a month, our graduation was near then, my parent we’re worried about me “Ji, are you okay? You haven’t showed yourself for almost 3 days. Your graduation is next week” but I couldn't answer them; I was still waiting for her.

That night, I was still staring at my phone, minute after minute I will check it, I became paranoid about it, as I put down my phone, it rings, I immediately looked at it and as soon as I see the caller, I immediately answer it, “hello! Dara? Are you okay? Dara! Where are you? Are you hurt? Hey! Why are you not answering me!? Dara! I told you that I’ll be on your side no matter what happened right? I love you! Dara, answer me! Where are you?!” but then I heard in her background, people crying, some apparatus, doctors and nurses shouting and most of all, a long tone. 

I dropped my phone unknowingly, running so fast to get on the hospital, trying to see her, I really don’t care if I already bumping to anyone, I just want to go to the hospital and see her. My parents we’re surprised at me, they caught me crying while I was running away, they we’re worried about they followed me.

“Where is Park Sandara?” I immediately asked the nurse, “she is in room 317 but—“before the nurse finished I ran towards the room 317, I ran fast as I can, slowly I heard the people crying, I slowed down, I was staring straight at her room, really don’t know what to do, then I saw her parents, especially her mom, then her eyes, telling me that she’s sorry, for not telling it, I really can’t believe it, “D—dara” I called her, but all I can hear was crying people “where is she?” I asked, I went inside the room, at that time, the doctors and the nurses went outside, then I heard “I am really sorry mrs. Park… but she’s in peace now” at that, I hysterically shout, shout her name saying to wake up, she can’t leave me, she can’t. They were stopping me, but I was too strong, I hold her and hugged her so tight, “why… why dara.. You could have told me…” I said.

At that time, I couldn’t believe every moment, she was already dead, I learned that she have leukemia, but she didn’t tell me, she was afraid, but I love her, at that phone call, in just one phone call, she wanted to hear my voice, she wanted to hear it, but she don’t want me seeing her in that state, she loves me that she don’t want me to hurt because of her illness, she don’t want me getting hurt.

I looked at the sky, imagining that she’s looking at me, “It’s been 1 year Dara, I hope you are okay there. Remember I love you; you are my everything….. ‘Till we meet again”