Strays

Alone

Heading towards her house, she can still feel the adrenaline pumping in her veins. There’s rarely a chance that she can flex her muscles in a proper fight. “Tired.” Sighing contently, she decides on a nice hot bath and a simple dinner. The bags are knocked out if her hands when a group of boys knock into her. Turning to look in the alley, she finds a boy with a metal pipe standing over an unconscious figure. “Freeze.”

Terrified, the boy turn to run, but falls victim to her can of soda as it slams into his back. The next thing he knows is being handcuffed.

She pulls out her phone and calls a familiar number. She kicks the chair of the grumbling teen. “Pick up, you moron.” She glances over to the ambulance as the medical team helps the injured teen inside, checking his injuries.

“Miss me?”

“Meet me at the convenience store you buy those lousy beers at. Hurry.” She hangs up right after, smirking when her partner rushes over to her half an hour later. His hair tousled and wet, his clothes messy and ed, luckily his pants is both bottomed and zipped, she can conclude that he was just taking his shower when she called.

“What’s the problem? Are you hurt?” With his hands on her shoulders, he looks for injuries, shocked at the blood. “Yah, speak to me.” He turns to the group of boys. “Are they the ones who hurt you?” He releases her and turns towards the startled group. “You little…”

“Bryan.”

“What? What is it? Do you feel dizzy? Are you in pain?”

“The blood isn’t mine.”

“What? It isn’t?” He sighs in relief. “You scared me.” Anger replaces relief. “Yah, can you give me a call without scaring me half to death?”

“Where’s the fun in that?”

“Miss.” The medical officer walks over, greeting Bryan with a nod. “It’s just a few scratches on his arms and face, but he received a blow to the head. You should have him checked out.”

“Thank you.” She turns towards the boys, smacking the closest one on the head. “Yah, you crazy? Fighting is okay. Punching and kicking is fine, but to bring in a metal pipe, are you trying to go to jail?”

“YAH!!!” The boy stands up with a glare, looking down at her.

“What? You gonna hit me in front of the police?” She asks, smirking at his bravery. “You’re really brave, aren’t you?”

“Hold on. He had a pipe?!?” Bryan blows and he reaches for the youngster. “You little…” He blinks as his world spins and the sky stare down at him. “Ow.”

“I didn’t call you here to have you beat him up, doofus.”

“I guess that means you called me here to beat me up then.” He reaches for the outstretched hand and pulls himself up. “What you want, then.”

“Take the boys home.” She turns to the puzzled boys.

“If I catch you, I won’t throw you in jail. I’ll throw you into the Han River with both feet tied to a cement lock, understand?”

“Are you a gangster?” One of the boys asks, flinching when she turns towards him, afraid to be hit again.

“I’m worse than a gangster. Gangsters are afraid of me, okay?”

The five boys shifts nervously, debating on whether or not to run and if they can really outrun her. In the end, they decide not to take that chance.

“I hope by gangsters you mean these idiots here.” Bryan points his thumb towards the bunch if delinquents.

She scoffs and shoves one of the boys down. “Take off your shirt.”

“W-what?” He shouts, wanting to run but fails. He looks nervously towards her as she grabs another plastic chair and sits down.

“ your shirt.” She orders, pulling down the back of his uniform.

“Y-yah, you can’t do that here. He’s underage.” Bryan whispers, earning a look from her. “What?”

“So what? I’m underage too.” She tugs the shirt down frowning at the bruise forming. “Does it hurt?” She pulls back her finger as the boy flinches. “Come on. Get up.” She tugs him up. “Bryan, get the two boys home. I’ll take care of this trio. After you’re done with them, check on the one going to the hospital. Take him to my place when you’re done.”

“WHAT?” Shocked, he becomes speechless until his brain can form words properly. “Are you crazy?”

“Not as crazy as you are.” She motions for the trio. “Grab my stuff. If you drop them, I’ll crack your skull on the pavement, got it?”

Bryan bites his lips thinking about the incident a month ago. Despite his partner’s skills, he knows how clueless she can be. Worried, he grabs his jacket and heads over to her house. His fears increase at the opened door. Pulling his gun out, he carefully walks in.

“STOP!!”

Her scream causes him to panic and he finds two of the delinquents on top of her. “You little piece of shi…” Once again, he finds himself admiring his partner’s ceiling. “Did you do something to your ceiling?”

“Painted it two days ago.”

“Looks nice.” Tilting up, he glares at the delinquents.

“You’re going to burn a hole in their heads.” She heads to the kitchen, turning off the stove. “Eat before you leave.”

“You’re taking care of them now? They’re not strays. You can’t take them in like homeless ahhhh….!”

Hissing with his fur up, the cat runs off, turning around and glaring at the man. It growls and walks away calmly.

“He doesn’t like you at all.”

“Ji Hoon, be nice to the ahjusshi. He’s old and grumpy.”

“I thought you picked him up not too long ago.” Bryan grabs a bowl of clam chowder. “Was it three years? Four?”

“I wasn’t talking about the cat.” With a tray, she carries the food to the coffee table pushing them towards the three boys. “Yi Kyung, you’re in charge if the dishes.” She says, ignoring Byran’s outburst at being called old.

“What?” The boy looks up innocently from his food in disbelief.

“I’m tired of Jung Ho breaking them. He needs outlet for his aggression.” She turns to the boy in question, watching as he eats with a scowl on his face. “Bryan, take care of Jung Ho when he’s done. He needs to get of all that energy of his out. Then send them home.”

“Why me?” Bryan turns to her in surprise and puzzlement.

“I’m busy.” She grabs another bowl and heads up the stairs.

Bryan is fuming. After sending the three boys on their way home, he had head up the stairs, thinking his partner is sleeping, but NO! She’s being lovely-dovey with a man. Granted, it her business, but to have him in her house? It’s unacceptable. “Yah, who is he?” He questions as she walks down the stairs.

“If you wake him, I’ll kill you. Understand? No exceptions. I mean it.”

“Do you have any idea what you’re doing? This can ruin your future!”

“I have no intentions of joining the team, I told you that.” She reminds, running her fingers through her hair. “I’m here to learn, not catch criminals. I’m just doing this because you asked me to. And the pay is really good.”

“Why? You’re so good at it! You’re a great fighter and catch criminals better than the others. Why aren’t you doing this?”

“I don’t want to put my life on the line. I like the rush, the adrenaline, and the fights, but that’s it. I’m not good in solving cases or learn other things that’s required of me.”

“You can learn.”

“I’m more interested in keeping student off the streets and out of trouble.” She admits. “It’s my way I’d preventing crimes from happening.”

“Is that why you’re letting them into your house?”

“Shut up.”

 

 


So...Jung Ho and his buddies. Can't you three stay out of trouble? Gosh! She's going ot beat you up! Why hasn't she anyways?