So much for a normal first day

Friday Nights

 

I was walking thru the deserted hall behind the school's principal.

 

 

My dad was promoted and relocated from work so we had to move to make it more convenient for him. I'm fine with it since I didn't have many friends at my former school. I wasn't bullied or anything it’s just that I didn't bother to hang-out much with anybody there and I'd always go straight home.

 

 

We stopped in front of a door with a '2-D' sign at the top of it.

 

 

I heard a cough and turned to the principal who was smiling warmly at me. "This will be your class for this school year. Are you ready young man?"

 

 

I visibly gulped but nodded vigorously.

 

 

He chuckled slightly and gave my shoulder a gentle pat. "Don't worry son, I'm sure you'll have friends at the end of the day. So shall we proceed?"

 

 

Feeling a bit more confident, I gave my strap one last hard squeeze before answering a yes.

 

 

The principal gave 3 knocks and waited for the door to open. When it did, we were greeted by a man in his 30's looking back and forth between me and the principal.

 

 

"Is this the new student sir?" The man gestured towards me.

 

 

"Yes, he is. I shall leave him to your care, please treat him well." The principal said, putting a hand on my shoulder.

 

 

"Yes of course sir."

 

 

With that the principal gave me a few more gentle pats and went off.

 

 

"So, hello there. I'm Mr. Jung and I'll be your adviser for this year. Let's get inside so you can meet your classmate, shall we?" He gestured toward the room.

 

 

I nodded and Mr. Jung opened the door. As we start to walk inside I can feel the stares and heard some whispers, full of curiosity and judging. I didn't mind it much though; it's a normal thing at any school. Those first impressions; how they see you for the first time is how they see you for the entire time, how they would approach and treat you, if you’re worthy enough to be left alone, have friends or bullied and have a miserable school life. How they’d categorize you; if you’re handsome, pretty or ugly. If you’d fit in with heir clique. Just the typical first impression thing for the new student.

 

 

We stopped at the front with Mr. Jung stood at my back and placed both hands on my shoulders.

 

 

"Everyone, this is your new classmate. Please introduce yourself."

 

 

I surveyed the room for a few seconds and waved a little.

 

 

"Hey! I'm Park Channel. Please treat me well." I finished off with a sheepish grin.

 

 

I heard gasps after my introduction, obviously shocked to hear my voice that doesn't fit with my 'flower boy face' and taller than the average height at least that’s what people from my former school says. It really isn't my fault though; blame my growth spurt and puberty.

 

 

"Okay, now for your seat. You can take the one at the last row 2 seats from the window."

 

 

I nodded and took my seat still feeling the stares as I walk along.

 

 

After the first two periods, I was fixing my notes while waiting for the next teacher when I felt a poke on my arm. Turning my head to the source I was met with a boy wearing thick framed glasses with shard facial angles, his cheekbones were high and his chin was kind of pointy. He had on a smile and I immediately like him.

 

 

"Park Chanyeol, right? Hi, I'm Kim Jongdae but some call me Chen. Put it there." Jongdae said extending his right hand.

 

 

I looked at him weirdly wondering what he meant by the last statement. "Uhh. Put what where?"

 

 

"Your hand. It's like a cowboy greeting or something like that." He chuckled.

 

 

"Oh, you like cowboys?" I said, extending my hand for a shake.

 

 

"Nah, I was watching Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knights the other day and it kind of stuck to me. Besides its lame getting the same greeting every time you meet someone new, so I thought I'd do something differently cool for once you know? Like giving of a 'howdy partner' or 'hey there sheriff’ or something like that." He said, taking back his hand.

 

 

I just nodded making it look like I understood him and deeming him a bit weird.

 

 

"So any who, enjoying your day so far?"

 

 

"Well, it's only third period but I guess its fine. Teacher's are nice but it's kind of boring."

 

 

"You'll get used to it. If you ever have any questions or need anything just tell me, I'll do what I can to help out. You savvy?" Jongdae said, adjusting his somewhat imaginary cowboy hat.

 

 

"Err. Okay. Thanks, I guess."

 

 

"Any time, buckaroo." He answered tipping his imaginary hat.

 

 

Oh boy, he IS weird.

 

 

"So want to have lunch with me and my friend?" He asked, looking expectantly at me. Like I have no choice but to say yes and daring me to say no.

 

 

"Yeah, sure." I gulped visibly and look back in front, waiting for the next teacher to arrive.

 

 

"So is your voice like really that deep? I mean, yeah were dudes but yours is weirdly deep and like it doesn't even fit your face because you look like you have the moderate deep voice not the deep deep kind. But it's the good kind of weird, you know? And wow you're so tall, I feel like a middle schooler next to you but then again if I feel like that then I bet my friends would feel like their dwarfs or something." Jongdae started.

 

 

I turned to him again and gave him a weird look. He was fixing his uniform and his imaginary cowboy hat making faces as he did so. And doing some weird gun movements using his hands like he's having some kind of one on one shooting and blowing his 'guns' acting as if he didn't just talked at all. I couldn't help but laugh loudly at his weirdness.

 

 

He stops what he was doing and this time looking at me weirdly.

 

 

"Are you this weird when laughing Chanyeol?"

 

 

Immediately stopping myself from laughing, I raised an eyebrow at him. "What do you mean?"

 

 

"Like you twitch and stuff." He said mimicking my laugh.

 

 

I huffed and crossed my arms. "Well, you're one to talk Mr. Cowboy with an imaginary hat and guns."

 

 

"Tss. You're just jealous I pull off the cowboy style well. And , I'm fabulous." Jongdae sassily replied.

 

 

"Yeah, whatever cowboy."

 

 

"I have a feeling we're going to get along well, peasant." He said while tapping my arm.

 

 

Before I could retort about calling me a peasant the teacher walked in.

 

 

After class, Jongdae waited for me outside while the teacher gave me notes on their past lessons that I've missed.

 

 

"So why did you suddenly transferred schools? I mean, you're like a few weeks late already." Jongdae started as we're making our way to the cafeteria.

 

 

"My dad got promoted and we had to move so it would be easier for him." I shrugged.

 

 

"I know how you feel sheriff. My parents and I had to move a few times before settling here."

 

 

I hummed in reply and we were quiet the whole way.

 

 

When we got to the cafeteria we got in line, got our food and Jongdae lead the way to a table in a corner. A red head guy with his back facing us was already sitting there.

 

 

As we got to our sit, Jongdae tapped the red head bring his attention to us.

 

 

"Hey Jongdae. Who's your new friend?" Red head gestured towards me.

 

 

"He's Chanyeol, the new sheriff in town." Jongdae said.

 

 

"Well, nice to meet you Chanyeol. I'm Kim Junmyeon but they call me Suho. I'm from 3- A." Junmyeon said flashing me an angelic bright smile.

 

 

"Nice to meet you too." I said smiling as well trying to beat his.

 

 

Jongdae, who seemed to notice my attempt, turned to me.

 

 

"Don't even try. No one can beat Junmyeon's bright smile. Heaven knows how many people tried but they always fail. And honestly, your smile kind of makes me flinch."

 

 

I frowned at that, feeling deflated by the sudden remark.

 

 

"Jongdae, watch your mouth." Junmyeon said, sternly looking at Jongdae.

 

 

Jongdae just waved him off. "Whatever. Anyways, Chanyeol. Junmyeon here is one of the big bugs. The school's head prefect so try not to break any rules nor do anything bad when he's around okay?"

 

 

"Hey! What do you mean when I'm not around? Are you implying that you break the rules when I'm not around, Kim Jongdae?" Jumyeon gave a disapproving look at Jongdae while shaking his head.

 

 

"What? Noooo. No, I don't. I mean. Pfffft. I always follow the rules. ALWAYS." Jongdae said while fixing his imaginary cowboy hat.

 

 

"I've got my eyes on you, cowboy." Junmyeon retorted, pointing his fore and middle finger at his eyes then at Jongdae.

 

 

Jongdae just swatted the hand away and resumed eating while Junmyeon turned to me.

 

 

"I apologize for Jongdae's rude behavior and sassiness, he's really like that. So don't let it get to you." He said, smiling brightly again.

 

 

Jongdae huffed while I just nod and started eating.

 

 

After lunch, Junmyeon went with us back to our room and took the opportunity to lash out students.

 

 

"Oi, no running in the halls!"

 

 

"Alright, break it up you two. Stop eating each other's faces. You can do that somewhere else. We don't want you getting pregnant here do we? Naaaaw."

 

 

"Giiiirl, you better fix your blouse 'cos you look like you a stripper not a student and it's not a pleasant site to see your crack thank you very much."

 

 

I looked at Jongdae silently asking if Junmyeon's really like that. He just sighed and gave my back a pat, clearly he can't explain anything.

 

 

When we got to our room, we turned to Junmyeon who was busy pointing out to a girl her uniform violation and how she looks like she had her make-up done by a drag queen.

 

 

"Though I know she broke the rules, I kinda feel sorry for her. Junmyeon may look like he's nice and all but when it comes to school rules he's really a monster. Look, the girl looks like she's about to pee." Jongdae said looking sympathetically at the girl.

 

 

"So, I'll see you guys after school?" Junmyeon asked after he let the girl go.

 

 

"Yeah sure. We should show Chanyeol around too."

 

 

"Okay, I'll see you guys later then."

 

 

And with that, Jongdae and I turn around. But before we took our first step I felt a slap on my , a squeeze and an enthusiastic 'bye'.

 

 

"Did he just . . .?" I asked slowly turning to Jongdae looking baffled by what happened.

 

 

He just sighed, tipped his imaginary hat and started to walk to his chair leaving me standing at the door figuring out if it really happened.

 

 

What strange people I got to befriend.

 

 

The rest of the day went by pretty slow. I introduce myself over and over again to the teachers. Lessons here and there. Writing notes. So when classes ended I was pretty drained and my throat feels like I just ate a cactus from all that introduction.

 

 

When Jongdae and I got near the gate of the school, we were greeted by a smiling Junmyeon waving at us to hurry like he got all the energy in the world. Ugh, he's like one of those energizer rabbit thingy.

 

 

"So how about-"

 

 

Before Junmyeon could finish, a black Mercedes S600 Guard suddenly stopped in front of us and the driver with an all black suit stepped out and opened the door of the back seat.

 

 

“Young master, your mother and father seeks for your presence.” The driver bowed 90 degrees.

 

 

I looked at the two silently questioning who the ‘young master’ is. Junmyeon gave off a look of indifference and Jongdae just sigh and turned to us.

 

 

“Big bug Junmyeon and sheriff Chanyeol I’m going to have to reschedule our agenda for today, seems I’m suddenly busy. I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” And with that he entered the car.

 

 

As the car started, the back door window opened and Jongdae’s head popped up. “So long, slims! Hasta luego!” He tipped his imaginary hat and the car drove off.

 

 

I stood there still dazed of what happened when Junmyeon suddenly turned to me.

 

 

“Well, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then Chanyeol-ssi.” He said suddenly smacking by resulting to me letting out a manly shriek.

 

 

“Ciao!” Junmyeon said when he was a few feet away waving then winked at me.

 

 

I stood there for who knows how long holding my . Trying to get over the fact that the first friends that I made is a weird sassy guy who likes to pretend that he’s a cowboy and a school prefect who likes to smack butts.

 

 

Sigh. So much for a normal first day.

 

 

~~~***~~~

So what do you guys think? :)

 

Oh yeah, for those who have a Twitter account you can follow me here if you want. I follow back don't worry.  Hihihi. <3