Lull

「The Last Lullaby」
Who could be getting in and messing up my sketches like this every night as I sleep?
 
     
 
      It was a freezing winter when we got together. Outside was cold, yet cozy warmth followed us around wherever we went.

 

      We were both secretly artists; I used to draw sketches of everything I liked- especially Jonghyun’s adorable features, while he used to create sweet, enchanting tunes with an incredible ease. There was an unspoken deal between us, a ritual of me showing him all of my drawings to win myself a lovely lullaby from him in exchange. Jonghyun loved to look through my still unfinished work and find a profile sketch of him, his stumpy fingers holding a familiar notebook or his uneven nostrils in there, my talent hardly reflecting the perfection from their original form. In return he used to lull me into dreams full of him with his muted hums, tender as the butterfly kisses he placed on my lips before falling asleep. 
 
      One day, even before the first snowdrop’s bloom, Jonghyun’s voice suddenly started to fade, slowly taking his breath away as well. Soon enough he wasn’t able to sing the easiest notes and I could hardly ever catch the beautiful smile on his rosy lips into my drawings anymore. The warm, chestnut brown eyes which used to give me playful glimpses over even my worst sketches got drowned in tears, with pain and sadness rolling down his hollow cheeks every time I tried to picture them.
“I’m sorry,” he used to say with painful whispers at moments like these, “For not being able to sing you lullabies in return.” 
 
      I met the strongest cold I could ever feel on a hot summer day, when they told me I’d never hear his voice again. All of a sudden I was left with an empty side of our bed, with unfinished drawings, with notebooks full of songs written for me and Jonghyun’s softest, last lullaby echoing in my already deaf ears every time I thought about him- the one who used to sing his love only for me.
 

 

But still, who could be getting in and messing my sketches up like this every night as I sleep?