01

Epitome of Eternity

               I look around the empty garden and take small steps toward one of the mirrors; it’s pure white, made from porcelain with gilded edge and perfectly shining glass. There are millions of mirror in this garden, and all of them belonged to all human on earth. Angels or guardians are able to come here and watching them by looking on the mirrors; whether they are doing good or bad, right or wrong…

              A man is walking into a tall, modern looking apartment. He was tall, with grayish hair and blaring eyes that distinguished his expensive appearance. He, doubtlessly, is a man of a stature. Upon entering the elevator, the man hastily pressed the button and fretfully waited until the elevator stopped with loud ‘ding’; I couldn’t comprehend the expression on his stoned face, but I sensed that he’s up to no good when he immediately made his way to the VIP section as soon as he arrived on his intended floor…

             Her eyes rounded in surprise when the man appeared in front of her; terrified look is evident on her face. Burned with lust, he wastes no time, as he roughly pushes her down and kisses her like a hungry beast, his hands roamed around her body; rubbing and touching her like there’s no tomorrow. My eyes are quickly shut; I didn’t want to see more. Seeing her like this always give me weird feelings, no matter how much situations like this had happened. I just feel the urge to embrace her, to comfort her, and to take care of her.

            Few minutes passed, and the apartment filled with nothing but moans, erratic breathes, and piercing wails. I don’t have to open my eyes to know what’s going on. It’s one of those days where she’s treated inhumanely by those demons; whether it’s with whips, cuffs, or other properties that make me looked away in terror…

            Slowly, painfully slowly, the noises finally faded away after another heart-wrenching wail and loud bang of slammed door. The apartment that was clean and tidy is now in a mess. Shattered pieces of glass spread up on the cold, tiled ground; a broken wooden frame and a photo are beside it, followed with the cushions, and torn, designer labeled fabrics. Her layer of eyeliner has washed away since last two hours, staining her pale cheeks with black stream of tears. Fresh blood drips from her lips, hinting a purple-bluish mark behind it.

            I see her grabbing the photo and weakly dragging herself to the corner of the room as she pressing her bruised body against the hard wall. She hugged her knees, without loosening her grip at the photo which shows her smiling together with a boy. She looks really different, really innocent and happy; and although I couldn’t see the boy, I have these familiar feelings creep up in my mind …

            “Oh, there you are,”

            A voice pulled me out of my thoughts in a snap. I immediately turned around and bowed toward The Messenger. “I see that you’ve been spending almost every day in Mirrors of Mortals,” He softly said, also standing beside me and looking at the mirror.

            “It’s been ten years,” He commented, “You’ve done great, watching someone for that amount of time is not an easy task,” I bowed as a gratitude to the compliment, and shifted my gaze back to the mirror. I’ve never thought that it’s been that long since I firstly tasked to watch this girl named Hwang Joo Yeon.

            She has been facing many obstacles since she was a kid. In a young age of five years old, she already lost her parents and her right as the solitary heiress of her parents’ wealth due to an air crash when they were on their way to Beijing. It was tragic, though I knew that she’s more than blessed to be the only survival after falling down from hundreds of meter height.

           After she was saved by the Security Team, she was hospitalized and was in coma for two years, and then stayed in an orphanage. According to The Reaper, she was once having a best friend for five years, but her best friend left due to an acute heart disease. One year after her best friend’s death, she was adopted by a rich man; who then led her to a hole of demolition, and abusing her for next three years

            Two years after she lived a harsh live in street, with no money, no places to stay, and most important, no family, she was adopted once again by a woman who acted as a Saint by offering her a place to live. Later, she was abused by the mulatto woman, until today. I wonder how long this situation will take; ions, abuses, Human Rights violations, those aren’t good at all. I felt bad for her who spends her day with pains and tears, swallowing the bitterness of life for fifteen years. On the other hand, I’m disappointed, since she didn’t try to stop them, she didn’t try to protect herself; but again, I kept on asking, how she could protect her pride when she’s already lost it since long, long time ago.

            “Is there anything I suppose to know?” I turned to The Messenger after a long thought, breaking the silence between us.

            “Ah, yes,” He chuckled, “The Reaper wants to see you,”

            “Did The Reaper tell you why?”

            He was silent for few minutes until he replied, “Every attempt has its own reason, but only the rightful soul could tell,” And with a wave of hand, a mist suddenly appeared, blocking my eyes from The Messenger, who had gone as soon as the grayish air disappeared.

***

            “Is there anything I can do for you?” The Reaper looked at me with expression I couldn’t fathom.

            “Don’t you remember what day is it today?” “No, I don’t,” This really sounded bizarre to me. Why’d she’s still asking me about the days since she must’ve known that Guardians only allowed to count the time passed in their guarded ones’ life, not their own.

            “Byun Baek Hyun,”

            I frowned. What did she call me? Byun Baek Hyun? Who is that? She never mention that name before, is that someone that I have to guard after Jooyeon?

            “I’m sorry, but―”

            A light me in a zap, cutting my words, and blinding my eyes momentarily. Screens of memory flew around me; all painted with my face, make me feels like watching a movie where I become the main actor.

            “Hey, stop running, I’m tired!” A little boy’s voice echoing in my ears, my eyes capture a view of two little kids chasing each other in a sea of flowers, and ended up falling on top of the grassy field. Laughs emitted from their lips, loading the crisp air with happiness… The kids were kneeling on the beach; a hole was dug between them, as she put down a small, round object inside the hole. “Will you promise me that we’re going to dig it together when we’re grown up?” She happily chirped, looking at him with twinkling eyes

            “No, I won’t” He muttered with mischievous smile, making her pouted in response, “Oppa~” She looked at him with puppy eyes, “Of course I will, you silly,” He pinched her cheek, as they continued to bury the box and ended up laughing all night long…

            “Wake up, please wake up, don’t leave me alone!” The moment ran across my brain clearly, as if it was programmed in a slow motion, the boy was lied down on the bed, pale-faced, pale-lipped, and unmoved like ice statue. The girl kept shaking his lifeless figure, her tears fell endlessly…

            “Byun Baek Hyun, died on Thursday, 25 December 2003, age 13… You’re now given 12 hours on earth to clear your unfinished task; this is your one and only chance…”

            My eyes snapped open upon hearing The Reaper’s voice echoing in my ears. Without much effort, I already arrived in a place that looked so strange yet so familiar. I rubbed my eyes in disbelief at my changing surroundings. I looked up and am greeted with clear sky and tall buildings which blocked the sun from reaching my eyes… So I’m back… on earth… on the world I once left when I was thirteen, and now I’m standing  in front of the building that I always see from Heaven…

            I still couldn't believe everything. Even after I finally opened the door of her apartment and see the view that I used to see from the Mirror of Mortals beforeme. I couldn’t believe I finally come here, finally see her after ten years. So this is why I always feel the urge to comfort her, to take care of her whenever I see her from above. I used to be her best friend, her sanctuary, and her first love for five years. Unconsciously, my body is drawn closer to her. My knees weaken at the heart-breaking sight. The wet substance dwells in my eyes as my fingertips found their way to her bleeding lips and her tears-stained cheeks.

            She looked up, her eyes fell into mine.

            Oh God…

            “No… No, no, you’re not him!” She suddenly burst out in choked voice, as she repeatedly hits my chest, grabbing the fabric of my shirt roughly, “Stop ghosting my mind, You are dead! You already dead!”

            “Jooyeon,” I try to hold her hands, but she kept writhing under my grip and buried her face into her hands, shaking her head vigorously. “You must be lying! You're just my imagination! You must be disappeared when I open my eyes!!”

            With much effort, I gently took her hands in mine and kissed them. Her trembling fingers felt extremely cold against my lips. She slowly gave in; the scared look in her eyes changed into yearns. Loneliness traced along the perfect lines of her pupils, stabbing me right at heart. It’s indifferent with the feel of death which attacked me ten years ago; though this one is so much hurting, and agonizing rather than feeling your blood pulses being cut one by one. Our eyes met for another while, finding our own presences in each other’s eyes, seeking comforts among the silence. Without further words, I dared myself to pull her into my arms. I could feel her body relaxed in my embrace. Her breathing is getting more and more controlled…I wonder if one day is enough for me to cure her ten years of woe.