고마워

고마워 고마워(Thank You)

 

“He’s like he never knows me. I know we did break up, but the way he treats me now like we never had that kind of relationship.” Your friend told you when you two were hanging out together on this Sunday in a mall. You two were separated in different class in this semester and you two barely met each other. Since it was weekend, you two decided to meet and hang out like you usually did. It was so relaxing. Some weekends before you spent to do your assignments and reports, no time to hang out like this. You felt relief that this weekend you would spend it for fun.

“How did you know that?” You asked as you two waiting the elevator to open. You were really concerned about this because your friend has told you about this problem long time ago.

“Oh, one of his friends told me. He had forgotten what had happened between us.” Your friend looked pissed. “I met him last Thursday in library. He didn’t even see me.” She frowned even more.

You chuckled at your friend. “So, you still want him to come back to you?” You joked around.

She shook her head. The elevator then opened. There was no one inside so she continued her story as you two walked in. “I never say that. But doesn’t it piss you off? He pretends that me no exist. We broke up because this was all we wanted. We can’t get over the problems between us. It’s too complicated. I always think that after we broke up, we could be good friends. But now he treats me like stranger.” She sounded disappointed and irritated.

“Maybe he has other problems that day so he didn’t get the chance to greet you properly.” you said to her. You patted her back to give some comfort.

“I bet he doesn’t even want to greet me.” she said. She then presses the button and the door slightly closed.

“Yah, don’t say that.” You patted her back again. “You will never know what actually happens.” You just heard your friend let out a sigh.

“Really, it’s frustrating.” She complained as she rubbed her temple.

You smiled slightly. Having that kind of relationship was confusing, wasn’t it? You always thought it because of what your friend always said. Sometimes it was really nice to have a date. You could have someone who loved you and cared about you. You could share many happy times together.  It seemed very nice to be heard. And to you, you never felt those kind of feelings. You never experienced something like that. You just could feel and imagine from what you saw and what you heard from people. You thought having someone special, having a boyfriend, was kind of happy and frustrating at the same time. Was it really?

You wish you could feel that feeling, too. But, you were not type of person who could easily get a date. No, it was not like you were not interested in having a relationship with someone. It was just, yeah, you haven’t found someone who liked you the way you were. No one had a crush on you. You have thought about it deeply, thinking that perhaps you were really not that attractive. You never knew what kind of reasons to make someone falling in love with you.

You were about to forget what was bothering you as your friend brought it up. “How about you? Have you gotten a date recently?”

You blinked your eyes in confusion. “What are you saying?” You were freaked out since your friend was like reading your mind.

“A date.” She emphasized every word. The elevator’s door opened and you both walked out. “You never tell me anything.” She stared at you with such a concern.

“Ah…” you were confused to answer this kind of question. You rubbed the back of your head awkwardly. Your friend just laughed slightly at you. Seemed like she knew your answer.

“I know some of noisy kind-hearted guys. They live next to my apartment. Two of them go to same college with us.” she informed you.

“Oh, really?” you were bit surprised. You didn’t even imagine she would recommend some guys to you. Noisy, she meant that? Why should she recommend noisy guys to you?

“So, you want me to introduce you to them?” she teased.

You laughed. “No need to do that.” You shook your hand.

“Oh, come on. They’re good boys. They’re funny, too. Especially the one named Park Chanyeol.” She nudged you. “He’s tall and always smiles widely. His voice is very deep, but overall he’s such a cute guy.” She giggled.

“Are they really noisy?” you smiled, not answering her question right away.

“Sometimes. They always fight over unimportant things.” she chuckled. She then coughed and looked at you with a serious expression. “So?” she elbowed you.

You shook your head. “I don’t think it’s good idea to introduce me to them.” you laughed.

“I don’t really understand your type.” She shook her head in confusion but she laughed anyway. “I have been through the days with you but I still cannot understand how your type is.” They both laughed hard.

“Do you really want to know my type?” you teased as you tried to stop laughing.

She nodded enthusiastically . “Yeah, tell me!” she beamed.

You smiled sheepishly. You really didn’t know how to tell her because actually you didn’t have that ideal or dream type of guy. You never thought about it yet now you lied to your friend. You thought hard, thinking the possible type of guy to be told to your friend. You two were passing a big clothing store and the poster caught your attention. There was only a male model in black suit. He didn’t smile widely, he just smiled a little, almost like a smirk. He’s got sparkling eyes. His stare was really something but not frightening. He looked around your age. He’s got fair skin and brown hair. His hair was not combed really neatly, but it still made him look attractive.

There was something on him that made you thought that he was attractive. Yes, he was. He really was.

“This is my type.” You stopped walking and hit the wall, the poster. A confident smile curled on your lips. Finally you could describe your type of guy to your friend, even it was completely a lie. But, this guy looked attractive anyways. It’s okay to make him your type, right?

“Wow, is your type is kind of serious guy?” she looked amazed by your choosing. She drooled to see the poster. Seemed like this guy was her type, too. You couldn’t help but laughed slightly to see your friend looking at the poster admiringly, without even realized some people passing by who stared at her in strange, confusion and curiosity.

“Probably.” You shrugged. “But, this guy is really my type.” You said once again, to make sure she believed in what you’ve said.

“He’s extremely handsome.” She mumbled as she touched the poster slowly.

“Yeah, yeah, he really is.” You glanced at the poster. You wonder what if he didn’t plaster that serious expression. Is he still attractive? You thought.

“Do you plan to find a guy like this one?” she turned her head and stared at you.

“P-perhaps.” You answered, stuttering. Did you really plan to find a guy like him? Of course not. You just found this poster today and strangely admitted that he was your type. You seriously did something silly.

“It’s kinda hard, because no one is like him in our college.” She chuckled.

“I can find him in… other place? Not in our college..?” you replied her weirdly.

She laughed. “Good luck on finding him!” She patted your shoulder. After some times talking about this poster guy, you two remembered that you had to head to the cinemas or you two would miss the movie.

 

 

The movie was ended. You and your friend headed out the cinemas as you two talked about the movie. It was so interesting since you two couldn’t stop praising. Your friend then went to toilet for a while. You didn’t have business in there so you didn’t follow her and waited outside. You looked around the mall. It was very crowded since it was Sunday. There were many people in line to pay their cake and breads. There was also a big discount in the one of the clothing store, so many people came there and picked clothes. Some people stopped in watch store and looked at the watches in the display window. Some little girl went to a shoe store and tried on some shoes. You saw a big family gathered and finally went to a pizza restaurant. And at last, you saw a couple intertwining their hands and walked pass you. They looked very happy. They talked about something and it made them laughed. They laughed together, it looked so cute. You smiled bitterly, thinking about yourself who still hadn’t had a date.

Then your eyes caught that poster again. The poster remained there, of course, in front of the big clothing store. Without you knew, your legs moved and you walked toward it. You stared at the poster for some minutes. You admired the model’s facial feature. You gave a full attention to him who just had little smile on his lips. You smiled to yourself. How could you be interested in a guy in a random poster? He probably didn’t live here, and you probably wouldn’t ever meet him and get know him.

But, maybe… you’re wrong?

“Hey.” You heard a soft voice behind your back. Before you could turn around and saw who called you, you felt hands covered your eyes. You were shocked. You quickly touched those hands. Even the fingers were long and bit slender, those hands were not a woman’s. So, it was not your friend’s. You gulped. You quickly tried to release those hand which were still covering your eyes, but it was quite difficult. You were panicked. After some seconds, the owner of those hand released you and you could turn around in a fast move. You hoped you would find your classmate or your high school friend standing right in front of you. But, it was not like what you predicted.

No, it was beyond your expectation.

Your jaw dropped as you recognized the guy in front of you was the guy from the poster. You weren’t wrong this time because it was really him. You had looked at the poster for some minutes ago and you were sure this guy was really the guy in the poster. But, right then you were afraid your eyes playing tricks on you so you rubbed your eyes and looked at him, then looked at the poster once again.

No way.

This guy was really the guy in the poster.

Oh, God.

That guy smiled warmly. He was not in suit and just wore a white t-shirt and brown jacket. He had his hair bit messy. He didn’t look so serious like in the poster, but now he looked very young, young and handsome.

You were still in shock as you tried to ask him. “D-Do I know you?” you found yourself stuttering. He surprisingly chuckled at your action. Hey, what is this guy laughing at? You blinked and bit frowned.

“Don’t say you don’t know me. You have stared at the poster for long long time.” He pointed at the poster behind you.

You gulped. So, he was really the poster guy. And he knows you have stared at his poster long time? How embarrassing. You cursed to yourself. You looked away and blushed. For your surprise, he stepped closer. When you looked up, you were shocked to find your face was an inch away from his. He had that beautiful smile on his lips.

“Would you like to be my date?”

WHAT?

“Yah!” you heard your friend called your name. You pushed him slightly and turned around to see your friend. Your friend looked totally confused to see you with a guy. She was shocked even more to realize that this guy was the same guy from the poster. She widened her eyes.

“Who is he?” she asked you. Before you could explain, he cut you off.

“You’re her friend, right? I’m so sorry. I have to take her with me. We have a date.” he winked and held your right hand. This was another shocking action from him. It was really shocking and he’s definitely crazy!

“We have a what?” you said as your voice raising.

He smiled at you. “A date, you and me, two of us, right now.”

“B-but… Wait!”

You two left your friend dumbfounded as he pulled your hand and dragged you to an elevator before he waved at your friend.

 

 

You looked down worriedly to your hand which was held by him. You really wanted to release from his grip but he didn’t let you to. He just smiled and talked about some nice restaurants, talking to you like you were one of his old friends. You felt uncomfortable. You were in a date with a complete stranger. You didn’t even know his name. He just appeared suddenly in front of you.

Why should he appear suddenly in front of you?

Strange.

“You’re so quiet.” He commented simply as you two were already in a Chinese restaurant. You stared at him for some seconds. He really treats me like he knows me, you thought.

“It’s just weird for me..” you started to speak.

He raised an eyebrow. “What?”

“To be here with you. I don’t even know you, I don’t know your name.” you said as a waitress coming with the menu.

He smiled widely. “I’ve said to you there’s no way you don’t know me.” he got you puzzled. “You looked at my poster.” He added and chuckled.

He said that again, you thought. “But, yeah, I still don’t know you, in person, I mean.” You added. “I just saw that poster today anyways.”

“That’s enough. At least you know me.” he giggled. He mentioned what he wanted to order to the waitress and he ordered for you too, and then the waitress left. He put his elbows on the table and he used his palms of his hands to support his chin. He was definitely staring at you. He had that huge smile on his face. Still, his action made you uncomfortable. You looked away to avoid his stare.

“I’m Baekhyun, Byun Baekhyun.” He answered what you asked earlier. You started to look up at him in hesitation. He still smiled at you. “Being a model is my part time job. The poster you saw is one of my posters for clothing advertisement.”

“Oh…” that’s what you could say for now. So, his name is Byun Baekhyun? And he’s a model?

“That’s all you wanted to hear, right?” he giggled like a little boy. He looked so adorable and your heart beat faster for no reason.

Yes, perhaps that’s all you wanted to hear from him. But, still, there was something bothering you.

“How could you find me?”

His smile was gone slowly. He looked serious but he right then laughed. You wrinkled your forehead to see his action. He’s weird, you thought. He’s totally weird. He brought a stranger girl like you to a big and expensive Chinese restaurant, ordered you a dish which the name you hardly remembered. He treated you like an old friend, smiled to you like he knew you for years. Smiled with those warm smiles. You didn’t understand why you really liked this stranger’s smiles. You did admire his facial features and to have him this close to you, you just realized he’s more handsome that he actually was in the poster.

Your heart beat faster and it was not normal.

It was not normal.

He smiled deeply. He stared at you right in the eyes. “I just found you.”

What does he mean by saying that? You thought. You looked at him in confusion but he seemed didn’t understand. He didn’t say anything and after some seconds, he spoke up

“You like me, don’t you?”

“W-what?” you choked. What did he say? Is he trying to joke around with me? you thought. He gazed at you by his sparkling eyes. He smiled widely, looked so happy. He really said that, he really meant that, because the next words were

“I know you like me.” He smiled slightly.

O-oh.

It’s just strange to have this kind of conversation with a stranger guy who was way too confident to conclude someone’s feeling. He’s really annoying.

“How could you say that?” you asked him back after you could hold your shock. “I don’t even say anything.” You shot.

“Just admit it. I found you stared at my poster twice. What does it mean? It means you like me, so you stared at me.” he got you.

“NOOOO! I don’t like you!” you refused to admit what he had said. You said it way too loud and made some people turning their heads to face you two. Aish, embarrassing, embarrassing! Your cheeks got redden like tomatoes. Byun Baekhyun just laughed at you. You just realized that this guy really liked to laugh at you. You narrowed your eyes at him.

You coughed and continued. “Listen. I just stared at your poster. Is there any problem? Many people who passing the store stared at that poster like I did.” You said and shrugged.

“Yes,” he nodded. “But, no one ever stared at it for a long long time like you did.” he chuckled. You frowned. You didn’t get it how he knew what you’ve done. Did he see what you did all the time? “I heard your conversation with your friend anyways.” He added evilly.

“WHAT?”

He heard that? Really? You widened your eyes in shock with your mouth wide open. He laughed harder to see your expression. He even hid his mouth with his palm to hold his laughter. Oh, this guy…

“You’re so hilarious!”

“Stop laughing at me!” you yelled.

“Okay, okay.” He slowly stopped laughing. He wiped away tears from his eyes. “I can’t forget it. I heard you said ‘This is my type’, ‘This guy is really my type’.” He mimicked you.

Your face turned red. “YAH!” you started to hit his arm.

He still laughed while you were still hitting his arm. He looked so happy to laugh at you. “When your friend said ‘He’s extremely handsome’, you said ‘Yeah, he really is.’ PUHAAHAHAHAAAA” He still mimicked you annoyingly. “Am I really that handsome?”

“YAHHH!” you still were hitting his arm. You were so embarrassed right now. How could he remember those lines? Was he really around us when we talked about the poster? You thought. That thought just made you hitting his arm many times. You were really embarrassed. You felt your cheeks got burned.

“Yah, yah, stop it. It hurts.” He was still laughing hard.

The food came and served on your table and he still laughed at you. You frowned as you stopped hitting him.

 

 

After eating, you two headed out the restaurant. You didn’t talk to each other since the food came. You wandered around the mall and you knew that he followed your clumsy steps. He followed everywhere you went. He was right behind you, but you pretended that he was not there. You felt bad but it was like he was okay with this. He only plastered warm smiles on his face as he followed you everywhere. You sighed. It was the first time for you to face an annoying stranger like this dude. All this time you pretended yourself busy, so you didn’t have to face him. You were bit mad at him because all the time in the restaurant, he kept mocking you and laughing at you.

You were still thinking why you could meet him. This was all just like a dream. Who knew he would come and meet you? Oh, God. This’ hard to believe, you mumbled to yourself.

You looked for your friend but she was nowhere to be seen. She must be leaving first, you thought. You had your phone on your ear as you gave her a call.

“YAH! Who’s that guy!?” your friend blurted out as she got your call. She was kind of damaging your ears.

“Calm down, calm down.” You said to her as you glanced at your back. He was still behind you, but he was not that close. You were afraid he was listening all you said like before. "Where are you anyway?”

“I’m going home, you left me for him.” your friend sounded irritated. Then she changed her voice into an enthusiastic one. “So, who’s that guy?”

“He’s the guy in the poster.” You whispered. “He said he’s a model.”

“For real!? Oh, My God~!” she squalled. “How could he find you? and why was it he took you with him? Does he really want you to be his date?” she bombarded you with questions. You got dizzy to get many questions from her.

“I don’t know how he could find me.” You kept whispering. “If it’s not because I stared at his poster for twice, there’s no way he has to take me with him like now.”

There was a silence between them. She then spoke again. “Does he like you?”

You were shocked. “No way. He doesn’t like me.”

“And why did he take you with him then? Why did he say he had a date with you?”

You blushed. You still didn’t understand that and then your friend made you more confused. You stopped on your tracks and thought hard. That couldn’t happen, right? That he liked you. No way, no way he liked you. It’s the first time you two met each other. You also saw him in the poster today. There was no such possibility.

“He probably just said it randomly, and he didn’t mean that for real.” You replied after some seconds silence.

“Is that so? It’ll be no fun.”

What does this girl mean? You got confused.

Finally you hang up the phone. You sighed. Thinking about all this made you crazy. All you could think was going home immediately. Even you didn’t like this confusing situation, you had to thank that guy. He was so kind that he had treated you lunch. You turned around to face him, but you were confused to find him not there. You looked around restlessly, to find him. He’s gone, you thought. With his sudden disappearing, you thought that he was not real and he was only a piece of your imagination.

You were not supposed to feel this, but you were bit disappointed. You sighed once again.

“Looking for me?”

You turned around to hear that nice voice. Byun Baekhyun had two cones of ice creams on his hands. He smiled as he gave you one. You took it awkwardly as you tried to make your heart beat normally. He caught you looking for him yet you pretended him no exist. It was so silly of you.

“I thought you have left.” You said awkwardly, starting the conversation. He just smiled slightly.

“Why should I leave you? I have no reasons to leave you alone anyway.” He chuckled.

Have no reasons to leave. You wondered why he said that. Did he plan not to leave you? Did it mean he will stick with you? Did it mean he will follow you still?

“Why are you following me?” you directly asked him.

He blinked. “Why you said?” he chuckled. “We are still in a date, remember?” he reminded you to the fact.

This is not what I mean, you mumbled. “Why do you want to be in a date with someone you just met today?” you asked him again.

“Do you want to know why?” he teased you. He started to eat his ice cream but he glued his eyes on you.

You nodded innocently. It was all a reverse. At first you felt sad since you haven’t dated anyone. But suddenly someone appeared in front of you, asking you to a date, treating you like someone special. It just happened. Finally you felt the feeling when someone held your hand. Finally you felt the feeling when someone stared straight into your eyes. But, all what happened today just made you confused, because this guy was like a genie which made your wish come true.

And the fact was he wasn’t a genie. He appeared in front of you suddenly and asked you to a date. There must be reasons. There must be reasons for him to do this, to treat you nicely like this.

“I know you won’t believe this, but yeah,” he shrugged. “When I saw you, I just felt you’re the one for me. I just felt you’re the only one who would always by my side in the future.” He chuckled. “I just got those feelings, okay? And after that, I saw you looking at my poster, saying those words. That’s why I felt this was a fate. At first, I didn’t follow you so I didn’t know where you went. I wandered around this mall to find you. But, you were nowhere to be seen. You disappeared.

“I waited for two hours, then it’s like my wish came true. You appeared once again in front of my eyes. I then walked up to you. I finally got the courage to ask you to a date.”

You widened your eyes in shock. You couldn’t believe what you have heard. Did he really mean that? You blinked your eyes many times. No, this is not real… not even…

“Hey, I wanna have you answering my question.” He snapped you back to your senses. You blinked.

“Question?”

“Am I really your type? Do you like me?” he asked.

You were confused to have his question. Is he your type? You even just concluded your type of guy today and actually it was completely a lie. You didn’t even know how your type was. Do you like him? You just saw him from the poster today and the fact was you thought he was really attractive. So, it meant that you liked him? You didn’t want to be too honest, but you didn’t get used to tell lies. But at last, you didn’t say anything. You couldn’t say anything.

“I ask you like this because I already liked you.”

Oh God, this guy was confessing, right now.

Your heart beat faster as you also looked straight into his eyes. His eyes reflected sincerity. He was not lying when he said those words to you. And he was not kidding. He looked simply serious. Without you knowing, you got your eyes teary. So, this is the feeling when having someone liking you? You thought. This guy, this stranger guy, made you feel those feelings you never felt before. There’s nothing you could say.

“Thank you.”

He raised an eyebrow as he heard you saying. “For what?”

You smiled a little. “Thank you.”

Thank you for everything.

Even this guy looked clueless, he took your hand and held it tight. You two stared at each other eyes and smiled. Your date today wasn’t over yet, and there would be other dates in the future. You hoped so.

 

 

fin

April 13th 2013