A Chance Encounter

Dongwoo, You, and Sasaengs

All I could do was stare at him. I couldn't believe my luck. I never expected to meet Dongwoo again, let alone so quickly. He gave me that smile again, and winked. I nudged Minkyung.

"M-minkyung. It's him," I stuttered, my eyes never leaving him. She gasped and nearly tripped on her neon pink shoelaces. Her dark red hair was pulled into a ponytail, and she was wearing a bright pink tank top. 

"I knew it! After class, you are going to talk to him and get his number," she demanded. 

Dongwoo glanced at me again. He was wearing a green t-shirt and baggy pants. He stood at the front of the class.

"We're going to start with some basic combos," he stated, and we began with some basic footwork. Class passed by, and before I knew it, it was already ending.

"Great job, guys! I hope I see you at class next week," he said.

While Minykung chatted with one of her friends, I went to my bag to get a water bottle. I took a big gulp. I never knew dancing could be so tiring. As I put my bottle back in the bag, Dongwoo came up behind me.

"Oh!" I exclaimed, jumping a little. 

"Sorry, sorry! I didn't mean to scare you," he apologized, "______, right?" 

"Yup. Hey. I didn't think we would meet again," I remarked. He beamed.

"Me neither. Sorry if this may seem a bit forward but can I have your number?" he asked, putting his hands in his pockets. 

"Sure!" I never thought this would happen, and I gladly offered it to him.

"So listen," he later said, "do you want to go to a restaurant with me later? I mean, if you don't have any plans."

I cheerfully accepted his invitation. We chatted for a bit, and I later left with Minkyung. She was more than excited to find out that he asked for my number.

"I can't believe it!!! I'm so proud of you!! Little ______, growing up so fast!" she whooped, pinching my cheek. I waved her hand away. Minkyung can be so rambunctious sometimes.

"Yeah, and he asked me to go to a restaurant with him today," I added. At this, her eyes widened and she hugged me. Hard. She screamed in my ear. 

"You're coming over again, and I'm going to put makeup on you, and dress you up... Oh my gosh, this is going to be so much FUN!" she shrieked.

I tried escaping from her suffocating constraint without success. Despite being only five feet tall, Minkyung had the death grip of a wrestler. 

A few hours later, I was at Minkyung's apartment again. She sat me down in a chair in front of her vanity, and she went to work.

"Open your eyes really wide," she said, wielding a mascara wand in front of my eyeball.

"That thing is not going anywhere near my eye. I forbit it," I flinched.

"Think of Dongwoo's reaction when he sees you," she lilted. I gave in. 

"But only for Dongwoo," I said.

"Dongwooooooo," she echoed. 

The next hour seemed like hell. The curling iron nearly burned my skin. An eyeliner pen almost became lodged in my eye. I sneezed when Minkyung applied face powder. When she was done, I looked in the mirror and gawked. The girl in the mirror looked like me, only ten times hotter. Her hair was in soft waves. Expertly applied eye makeup enhanced her almond-shaped eyes. She was wearing a light green dress that showed off her figure. I don't think I've ever looked this good.

"Holy ," I breathed, "Minkyung. You're a miracle worker."

She gave me a smug smile. 

"Yeah. You owe me one, babe," she retorted, "now go on your dinner date with Dongwoo!" 

Minkyung shoved me out the door, leaving me to walk to the restaurant. I looked back, and she waved cheerfully.

"Have fun!" she called out before closing her front door. 

As I walked to the restaurant, a few men turned to look at me.  A guy even wolf whistled at me. I've never had this type of reaction from guys before. Is this how Kim Tae Hee feels when she's out and about?

After a quick five minute walk, I arrive at the location, La Madeline, a nice French restaurant located in the outskirts of Seoul. It's not too fancy, which is perfect for me. I go up to the hostess and tell her my name.

"_______? Yes, your table is right outside," she informs me, leading me to my area, "your date is already there."

My heart skips a beat. What would Dongwoo think of me in this getup? Would he think it's too much? Ugh, I knew I shouldn't have worn a dress. I'm probably wearing too much makeup too. 

The hostess points to the table situated right in front of a window.

"Right there," she instructs, "Enjoy!"

I take a deep breath and go.