chapter 1

Fanboy



Kwon Yuri. The goddess, the goddess of his dreams. Kyungsoo would spend days and nights wondering when he would meet her. Every training session meant another possibility of him being ranked up in the 'high'. High Trainees were those that were pretty much destined to debut one day. Kyungsoo had done his best and he'd waited for the fateful day when he'd get the chance to meet Girls Generation. Ever since he first laid eyes on the dark haired girl on a television screen, he'd done nothing but dream of the day that he would have the chance to talk to her. He hadn't pictured anything more than that. He was a bit too shy to imagine anything more than that - a bit too much of a gentleman. While the other boys around him at the time were talking crudely about the nation's sweethearts (conversations about who'd they'd like to bed, and who could), Kyungsoo was sort of in this little world where he and Yuri could be together.
A cafe date. He'd ask her out for coffee and she'd magically, to his surprise, agree to it. They'd get to know one another, few weeks go by and Kyungsoo and Yuri were an item.
It was a dream but it didn't mean it wasn't possible. Kyungsoo was a dreamer and he was pretty sure people like him could achieve their dreams. His first and most important dream was to sing. He had a voice and he'd always known it since a child when he was often pointed out.

''what an amazing voice your son has. wow. have you thought of putting him into an entertainment company?''

It was only after seeing Girls Generation singing and dancing on his tv screen one lazy summer morning, that he wanted to audition. He had a crush and he was a little boy and kids do weird things - one of those happened to be chasing after an idol. He wasn't much different from the fangirls he had now, who adored him and wanted to meet him at fan signings and have the chance to marry him. He wasn't much different, not really. Except he had a better chance.

There was a buzz going around one day in the practice rooms. A group of boys and girls were running about trying to look presentable. Breath mints were popped into their mouths and hair were tousled and gelled. Boys wanted to make a big impact on their seniors while the girls were in awe and admiration of the women they wanted to be some day.

''So nyuh shi dae! soh nyu shi dae!! I can't believe they are coming here. Oh, I hope I can impress them, especially Yoona unnie.''

Kyungsoo had almost fell of the chair he was positioned on at the girl's words.

They were coming here? Girls Generation? which ones? was Yuri going to be coming as well?

suddenly, in such a long time, Kyungsoo had felt himself grow insecure. He looked around at the other boys who were much more handsome. There was Kim Jong In, who had already been considered a 'high trainee' since the day he was first picked to join the company. Park Chan Yeol in another corner, tall and confident - another 'high'.

At the sound of the door opening, Kyungsoo's hands grew sweaty and his throat dried up. Here was the moment - the moment where he had been waiting for since he was a small boy. Now, he stood as a teenage boy ready to come face-to-face with his idol.

He watched them walk in and noticed that Yuri was tucked behind a tall Sooyoung. He'd been worried for a second that she wouldn't make an appearance. Kyungsoo told himself to breathe.

Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. She's human, just like you. She's a person. Don't treat her too much like an idol otherwise she will treat you like a crazy fan boy.

The girls introduced themselves and the trainees bowed in response. Kyungsoo's eyes never left Yuri. Yuri with her long dark hair cascading around her shoulders. She smiled while staring into thin air. Kyungsoo tried to follow her eyes to see what she was gazing..

It was one of the chinese trainees. Zitao or something. Kyungsoo wasn't too familiar with him. Zitao winked at Yuri and the woman gave a small smile. Kyungsoo felt as if the floor beneath him had opened up and he was falling. He hadn't expected one of the chinese trainees to gain the interest of SNSD.
Everyone knew that the chinese trainees were treated pretty badly by most people. They were a threat. Fights broke out all the time when one of the korean trainees would throw out a slur towards one of them.

and here Yuri was, his Yuri, smiling and making eye contact with one of them. One of the trainees that most of the other trainees ignored unless they were dubbed as a 'high'. Zitao was dubbed as a high, just like the other trainees in the room. While staring at Zitao for so long ,Kyungsoo came to the conclusion that Zitao was definitely a better man than him. For starters, he was tall. He was also good-looking. It was no wonder that Yuri was interested in him.
Kyungsoo was short and average-looking, at least to most people, he reckoned. He was never the type to get a lot of girls running after him like Kim Jong in or Oh Sehun.

Kyungsoo had continued watching the interaction between Yuri and Zitao until he noticed that Yuri was looking at him. She quickly looked away and he felt a pinch. He wasn't good enough for a smile. All he deserved was a look. It didn't matter that he was a high and that he had talent, he was lacking elsewhere.


*

Over the course of more sessions, Kyungsoo continued to bump into other seniors of the company. He'd be polite and bow and have a chat here and there but he'd rarely come across Yuri.
He bumped into Krystal from f(x) a lot - who happened to be Jong In's girlfriend at the time. On one occurence Kyungsoo had been lying about in the practice room after an intense choreography. He'd looked over to the other side of the hall to find Jong In texting on his phone. Jong In had looked up at him and then sauntered over.

''what's up?''

Kyungsoo had shrugged his shoulders in response.

''what are you doing?'' Kyungsoo questioned, not really caring. He wasn't very close to the boy but sometimes they have conversations here and there, mostly about Jongin's girlfriend and his best friend Taemin from SHINee.

''uh, just thinking about meeting up with Soojung. She's been a bit busy with promotions and you know, we're trying to get together.''

Kim Jong In loved to talk. He could talk for the whole of South Korea if permitted. His favourite topic was of course, Krystal. Kyungsoo nodded his head, feigning interest until something caught his attention. A certain name-drop made him stutter,

''w-what?''

''Well, it's almost Sooyeon's birthday, so Soojung will be celebrating her birthday. She asked me to come along as well.''

That only meant one thing to Kyungsoo -

Soh nyu shi dae. Girls Generation.

''uh, who else will be at that party?''

He hoped he didn't sound too eager. Jongin, oblivious, looked up at the ceiling of the practice room. He had his mouth open and he seemed to be counting.

''I think most of the girls from Girls Generation, to be honest.''

That sold it. Kyungsoo had to go there - he had to go there. He was a 'high' and so it wasn't like he'd be told to keep his distance from his seniors.

''Hey, you wanna come along?''

Kyungsoo could have hugged and smacked a kiss on the boy's lips, he was that excited. He tried not to let it show and shrugged his shoulders, as if he couldn't care less if he was invited or not.

''Sure, why not?''

 

 

That was one night, the only night he experienced the dreaded 'insomnia'. All types of scenarios wherein Yuri and he would  converse and how he would woo her.

It was only a few days before Jessica's birthday and Kyungsoo was once again ready for his love attack!