-

Silence

In an old, large house shared by many in an old part of town there was a boy. A boy who had been plagued by many troubles throughout his short life. His name was Choi Junhong.

Junhong didn't do much in life. He had rented out this apartment from a nice older man named Yongguk who compromised a price with him so he could afford it during college, for the dorms were far too expensive and Junhong's knowledge was far too low for a scholarship. And the young boy fell in love with the landlord, and would watch him return home from work everyday from his bedroom window. And the landlord fell in love with the young boy, and would watch him leave to school every morning from his kitchen, with a mug of plain black coffee in his hand. He could not see what was troubling the boy.
The house was silent now. Not a soul was left except Junhong. The bad thoughts had completely consumed his brain and there was nothing left now. Nobody could stop him now, but it wouldn't matter anyway since nobody knew. He stood in his room, every window wide open letting in the fresh summer breeze. The evening had painted everything a light shade of orange and pink. Outside he could hear school children's backpacks being dragged home by kids rushing home for dinner, and the drone of husbands returning home from work to their families. A swish of leaves, a swoosh of a car. The quiet city never really was completely quiet.

Junhong emptied his medicine cabinet and made himself a cocktail of antidepressants and painkillers. Taking a deep breath he popped them in like candy and downed a bottle of water. Breathing heavily he walked in a perfectly straight line out into the empty hall, lined with the front doors of his neighbors and friends.
Himchan was still at work, and wouldn't be home for another hour, just like every day. Jongup was out buying supplies to fix his leaky shower head. He had moved in only a year ago, after the old lady with a loud yapping poodle left angrily. She always complained how the pipes were too loud. Youngjae hadn't come home since last Saturday, and Daehyun was getting worried, so he left early again to search for him. But Junhong wasn't worried about him; he knew where he was. And Yongguk; oh Yongguk. The only thing that made Junhong believe that there was something worth living for, had left for the bank on the other side of town and gave Junhong a peck on the lips and a promise to return in an hour. That was two hours ago.
Feeling dizzy, Junhong lay down on the floor in the middle of the empty hall. It reminded him of the time he had gotten the flu and tried to reach for his water bottle lying on the desk, but had failed and fallen out of bed. Sick to his stomach and consumed with nothing but hopelessness, he lay there, listening to the sound of the pipes under the floorboards as Jongup started to shower. He waited until Yongguk came rushing in, and pushed him back into bed, asking again and again if he was okay. And again and again Junhong assured his lover he was fine, and had just fallen trying to reach for his water bottle.
The pipes were silent now, and Junhong's vision was beginning to be clouded with black spots. A light breeze from an open window ruffled his hair as the spark of life inside him began to fade away. And for the first time in his life, Junhong heard nothing but silence.