II.

Little Things

 

Nobody knew what kind those trees were, since they never got to see their flowers, let alone fruit. Everyone just shrugged it off, not even bothering to try and satiate their curiosity; admitting it was only a kind of ornamental tree, just to make that old, cracked sidewalk look somewhat 'brighter'. Only that most of the time, it just made it look worse by melting into the background and almost becoming the same shade of dull gray. 
 
"Life."
 
A soft breeze shook the branches gently, Narae's eyes remaining glued to the small white buds that started to adorn even the smallest twigs. From afar, it would look like the people living nearby only wanted to paint the trunks in white up to their half to avoid the insects and accidentally sprinkled a few drops here and there - but none of the trees had any, since they were already known for not having bloomed for several years. The locals even wanted to have them replaced at some point so they could have healthy trees to make the view nicer. Yet, it would've costed too much, so they only relied on hope. 
 
"It... Finds its way."
 
The upper branches shook more with the wind that was blowing through them. They had more buds, and some of them were even opened. A few petals dropping on the ground before letting themselves being carried even further away. Sometimes, even after people lose hope, Nature still holds it and time seems to have enough patience for it.
 
"Eventually..."
 
The seemingly lifeless tree was brought to life. After years of having been deemed ugly and useless. The beauty lingering over each inch of every branch was enough to cover up for all the other trees next to it, that were still deprived of any sign of life. Only a glance was enough to stun Narae and stop her in her tracks just to take a few moments and admit that miracles were, indeed, possible. Nature had no limits.
 
A wide smile grew over Narae's lips with every moment she spent looking at the tree that seemed to be on the point of blooming completely. A quick image of a tree covered in white, full flowers emerged in Narae's mind, making her turn and face the tree, taking in the ever so soft scent of the Spring that was just around the corner.
 
Of course, not everyone is gentle enough to stop their routine just to take in anything that stands out even slightly. Their own selfish interests primed in front of the taste for beauty, letting them blindly chase their goal until they've got no time to lift their gaze and take a glimpse of what they've been losing up until then. It happens to everyone - from children too preoccupied to play to students, who are only minding their studies - or nightlife, thereof. From aspiring lawyers to adults engrossed in their daily routine of going to work and take the role of a mercenary just to know that they have what to feed and educate their family with. From rich employers and company owners to old people who don't have enough time left to catch up on what they've been looking past.
 
The same happens to Jung Daehyun, an aspiring singer who takes additional vocal classes next to his already packed University schedule. He walks down the exact same path a few times a day, too busy and preoccupied with completely other things to notice what's around. Not only did the newly blooming tree not catch his interest, but even the standing figure in front of him was left unnoticed, the whole situation resulting in a short bump that almost violently threw Narae back into the real World. 
 
"If only you wouldn't of been staying in the middle of the path, it's already narrow as it is!"