What A Mess

Trouble

After being scolded by my parents for being late I helped my Dad empty sacks of potatos and sort through them for bad ones. I still after all this time couldn't grasp what differenciated a good potato from a bad one. There were of course the obvious ones. They had fuzz on them or had gone soft but my Dad seemed to be throwing away what I deemed perfectly good ones. It was all so confusing but for the most part I didn't care. I helped my parents becaused I wanted to, because I had to but not because I enjoyed what I did. They still didn't quite understand why I wanted a further education, they never said it but I think they wanted me to live the same life they did. Marry young and work in a factory till I died.
 
It was about half past ten when I retired to my bedroom. Our house was small and my bedroom the smallest room in the house. There was enough room for my bed, a small dresser and a collapsable closet. There was a book shelf attached to the wall by the door where I kept my CDs, DVDs and Manhwa. Above that an old poster of Girls' Generation was stuck to the wall with pins. I didn't like Girls' Generation all that much but my Mom found it on the market one day and thought I'd appreciate having their long slender legs on my wall. How she was wrong.
 
I lay on my bed wth my hands behind my head. I'd been texting Changsub all night but he wasn't replying and I couldn't stop thinking about Minhyuk's invitation. I wondered if I could still make it to the party. The address was a little smudged on my hand but I could still make it out. My stomach flip flopped and I bit my lip. I recognised the address, it was just a few blocks away from Changsub's place. Then an idea came to me. I leapt from my bed and went to the kitchen where my Dad was reading the newspaper and drinking tea.
 
"Dad?"
 
"Yeah?" He said and closed the paper to give me his undivided attention. I smiled.
 
"Changsub has asked if I want to go to his place to study." I lied through my teeth. It felt wrong lying to him like this but there was no other way and I couldn't sleep not knowing why Minhyuk wanted me at the party. I was taking my own advice just like I told Peniel earlier. It's better to know where you stand than never knowing at all.
 
"When?"
 
"Tonight? I mean just think, he lives closer to college so it will be so much easier for me and you like Changsub. You know when I say I'm studying at Changsub's I'm definately... studying." Okay, so lying didn't come easy to me. I was over explaining things now and I was surprised he believed me at all. I laughed nervously.
 
"I suppose you want me to take you?" He said, already reaching for his car keys.
 
By the time I was showered, dressed and outside Changsub's home it was half eleven. I'd never really been to a party so I wasn't even sure if it would still be happening. Luckily my Dad asked no questions and he wished me good night before driving away. It felt strange sneaking around.
 
I was wearing a nice shirt and jeans. The kinda thing I only wore for special occasions. Only problem was I had my backpack hanging loosley over my shoulders. I couldn't really leave the house without it considering the story I made up. Still, they probably expected me to turn up wearing something odd but this time it wasn't my cap or goggles.
 
Using the address I had scrawled on a piece of paper - I showered so I wrote it down before I cleaned it off entirely - I managed to find the house. The lights were still on and I could hear music blasting out into the street. At least the party was still going on but I still didn't know if Minhyuk was still there. However I'd soon find out.
 
As I approached the house I began to hear shouting, a guys voice, followed by a girls I could have sworn it was Gayoon screaming things I couldn't quite make out what. I then heard him before I saw him. Minhyuk's distinctive tone before seeing him being pushed from the house by a bigger guy, Minhyuk was pushing back and yelling in the guys face. I kept my distance, I definately hadn't come for any trouble but it looked like the party was over for Minhyuk as the next thing I knew the bigger guy punched him and he was on the floor. The door was closed behind him with a slam and he was  left holding his mouth in the dirt.
 
I made sure no one else was about and I quickly went to him. I knelt down by him and he looked up at me. From the look in his eyes it was safe to say he was either drunk, high or both. He just smiled a big drunken smile despite the blood trickling from the corner of his mouth. "Hyunsik you came!" He said.
 
After picking him up  we walked away from the house. He was walking a little ahead of me with his hands in his pockets. He was like bambi on ice, wabbling to and fro and nearly hitting the pavement on more than one occasion. I just watched him carefully to make sure he didn't injure himself. I didn't even know where we were going, I just followed him idiotically until he stopped in the middle of the empty road.
 
"Are you okay?" I asked as I neared him. It was late but that didn't mean there'd be no one driving at this hour. I didn't like how he just stood there as if he didn't care if a car came out of no where and took him out.
 
"Yeah. I'm fine." He spun around to face me and he fell forward. I managed to catch him in my arms and I held him up. Holding tightly on to the sleeve of his shirt for leverage.
 
"Why did that guy hit you?" I asked. I was curious and he probably deserved it.
 
He tugged his arm from my grip and shrugged. "He's a ." he slurred.
 
"Did you have a fight with Gayoon?"
 
"Forget her." He said emoting dramatically with his arms. "She's a ." He stumbled forward again and this time he grabbed hold of my arms to keep himself from falling. He looked at me still smiling a toothy, drunken smile. His breathe reeked of alcohol but still I couldn't help but feel aroused by how close he was to me and no matter how I tried to hold my breath my heart just kept on racing.
 
"Why did you invite me to the party?" Since he was in the mood for answering questions I thought I'd at least ask the big one I'd been wanting to know the answer to in the first place and he just kept staring at me. He pushed himself against me and moved his hands to my waist where he gripped tightly to the hem of my shirt. "Minhyuk?"
 
"You're so nice and y.. and stuff." He mumbled as his face neared mine and he kissed my lips. I m oved my head back to avoid his advances. I just looked at him my eyebrows furrowed with bemusement. "Don't you want to kiss me? Is it because I'm drunk or is it because you're still pissed at me for not calling?" He laughed. "Don't be such a girl Hyunsik." He said and he moved closer to kiss me again but this time I let him. My arms fell heavy by side and I stood there with my eyes closed as we kissed. I then felt one of his hands traveling below my shirt and sneaking into the waist of my pants. I felt my knees shaking and I didn't know wether it was the night cold or nerves.
 
"Wait, stop." I said. Pushing him gently back and he just looked at me in dissapointment. "What are you doing?"
 
Before he had a chance to answer me he turned quickly away and threw up on the pavement.
 
I stood for a moment, patting his back and holding him up until the vomitting subsided. I helped him stand up straight again and he just fell weakily against me gripping my shirt at my chest. I wrapped my arms tightly around him to stop him from slipping down to the floor. It was all so confusing. The rush of having him near me, the confusion at his behaviour, not knowing what I meant to him or even why he invited me in the first place but at that moment as he held tightly to me and closed his eyes I felt as though I wanted this forever.