Our Friendship

Our Friendship

 

**NOTE**: Please do ignore any grammatical errors. I did all fo this last minute.
And yes, the underlines words are mathematical words.

 


 

 

                Jerome shifted uncomfortably in his seat for a moment, waiting for the time he had promised he would meet up with Marcus at the park so they could hang out around the street of stores that ran adjacent to Marcus’s house. His sighed and drummed his small fingers on the surface of the counter as he also waited for his toast to pop up from the toaster since he hasn’t eaten breakfast either yet, waking up so late in the morning. He glanced at the clock, but couldn’t read the time when the sun rays left a bright glare on the face of the clock. He got up to grab the toast that had just popped up, but his legs happened to not be cooperating with him at that moment, causing him to trip over the base of the chair that was inconveniently set.

                He cursed inwardly at his unfortunate state and quickly scrambled up from the floor, slightly embarrassed about what he had just did even though there was nobody around to actually see his clumsiness. His mother was busy upstairs painting red horizontal lines and black vertical lines that intersect  on the wall. Jerome dusted himself off sheepishly before looking up at the clock to see that he was actually late by five minutes, after tripping and taking so long to get up from the floor. He quickly jammed on one of his converses while half stumbling through his front door and calling his goodbye out to his mother, leaving the door with the burnt toast clamped between his teeth.

                The area of where the park is located is where Marcus’s and Jerome’s street bisect, so he quickly made his way there while munching quickly on the toast, earning a few odd glances from some joggers and an old couple. He’d have to agree that he looked quite ridiculous at the moment; a young boy running with one shoe on while the other was tucked under his arm and jamming a burnt piece of toast to his face. Not to mention that he had forgotten to run a comb through his messy black hair before leaving. Jerome never thought much about his appearance and how other’s view him, but right then, the stares he was earning was making him feel quite self-conscious.

                “You’re late. By 10 minutes.” Marcus declared, giving the Jerome a cold stare who was trying to catch his breath after choking on the piece of toast. Jerome just made a face at the other and put his shoe back on properly, having enough with the judging stares.

“What? Did you pull out a calculator to calculate how long it’ll take me to wake up, shower, eat breakfast and then run out here?” Jerome retorted back after a minute.

“That took you a long time to come up with a comeback.” Marcus said with sneer. “Is your brain too small to even strike up an average conversation? The data that your brain holds is probably less than a gold fishes. The rate of speed you are thinking right now could be compared to a snail’s, Jerome.”

“I have a memory that lasts longer than three seconds!” Jerome said with an offended expression as they began to walk down the street together. Sometimes, he really doubts why he hangs out with the snarky, evil, and mean Marcus. The combination of the two of them as friends was just plain insane. Jerome is the kingka of the school, known for his handsome looks and timidness, causing people to label him as the “Cold Prince” of the school since he doesn’t socialize much, making the students think he’s actually a snob and choose not to talk to the “unpopular” students. Marcus on the other hand, is just a lanky boy that is on the lower end of the social ranking, only known for his ingenious mind and a brain that could be compared to Einstein’s, putting him in Calculus already when he was only in 8th grade. The two of them together was something quite unexpected, considering how rude Marcus is while Jerome is shy and timid around others but his friends.  But yet again, Marcus could be quite the charming and caring boy, not to mention he also saves the weak and vulnerable Jerome from getting bullied once in awhile. (Only to be bullied again by Marcus.)

“Your intellect is equivalent to one.”

Jerome shoved the other roughly to get his point across that he was currently angry at the boy, but Marcus just smirked at how easily affected Jerome is. The probability of Jerome actually winning this argument is low, considering that Jerome is not the type to fight much.  Jerome looked away from Marcus, still trying to act mad as he watched a plane fly across the clear sky, ignoring Marcus’s constant nags, trying to get his attention again. But when Jerome saw his reflection in a store window, he stopped. His hair was a complete mess, similar to the appearance of the rats nest he saw when he was younger. He quickly ran his fingers through the messy strands to fix it hastily.

“You’ll always look like a mess. Just shave your head down to the root.” Marcus sniggered, watching the other trying to fix his hair, only to fail like a complete fool with the messy strands popped straight back up again.
              “If you don’t shut up, I will give your hair a complete transformation.” Jerome snapped with a glare. Marcus grinned and walked a circle around the smaller boy, his eyes scanning over Jerome’s hair.

“Yup, most definitely impossible to fix.” Marcus said, only to have Jerome swing a might kick towards him.
             “I don’t even understand why I’m friends with you.” Jerome muttered under his breath, discovering that he had actually inflicted more pain upon himself rather than Marcus when his foot barely grazed the other’s long legs and made contact with the brick wall behind Marcus.
               “Because our attitudes are compatible with each other to be friends!” Marcus said happily, his childish side finally appearing.

“Compatible my—“

“Let’s go get some Ice cream right now! It’s hot out today!” Marcus said before running ahead, leaving Jerome behind to find the ice cream shop alone in the crowded street, knowing very well that Jerome would get lost easily.