Chapter 30 - Disappearance

Beyond the Clouds

Raymond dashed through the hospital doors and approached Macy immediately.

“Is Miss Tavia Yeung here today?” Raymond asked, impatiently.

Startled by his sudden outburst, Macy glanced up from typing her files. Before she could answer, Bosco appeared before her and replied in a dark tone, “She just left.”

“Darn it.” Raymond mumbled to himself. He hasn’t been able to reach Tavia for a whole week, now.

For the past few days he had been so caught up with Kevin Cheng’s case. He thought that the case would soon come to a close. That day when a witness called to confirm Kevin’s appearance; they arrived at the rundown apartment as a group, and kicked down the door of his flat. Kevin Cheng was no where to be seen, but two of his gang members were seated around the table.

As soon as the two saw Raymond and his teammates, they hastily got up from their seats, and dashed towards the balcony window. One reacted slower than the other, whom was caught be Raymond, while the other slid the window opened and climbed over the balcony.

Together, Jack and Shirley caught hold of his leg, but the guy kicked Jack and struggled out of Shirley’s reach. Jumping off from the balcony, he landed onto a large bin full of garbage bags. Getting up, he rushed out of the bin, and just then, Raymond dashed out to the balcony, glancing down below.

He saw another figure beside the guy who fell into the garbage bags. It was Kevin Cheng. Although his sunglasses hid his face, Raymond could tell it was him, because he was yelling at the guy some kind of instructions and pointed him to a direction, behaving as the gang leader.

As Raymond was climbing his way down from the balcony, Kevin glanced up to see Raymond. Just as Raymond landed onto the smelly garbage bags, Kevin had already ran off. Raymond and his teammates had spent a good half hour around the area, trying to catch a glimpse of Kevin or any of his other gang members.

Even though Kevin had gotten away, Raymond had arrested one of his gang members and brought him back to the station. However, after spending a couple of hours in the interview room, the guy said nothing. It seemed hopeless.

Raymond and his teammates schedule at the station was more flexible after the incident with Kevin. Raymond has tried all he can to reach Tavia, he called her but she wouldn’t answer him. After work he would wait for her to finish work at the clothing store, but every time Sharonwould tell him that Tavia had left already. He tried calling Selena and Patrick, but they too seem to be up to something and either wouldn’t answer him, or would say that Tavia was out somewhere and they didn’t know where.

“Please…” Raymond begged, “Do you know where Tavia is, Bosco?” Raymond asked.

Bosco shook his head, his eyes throwing daggers at Raymond. “Why won’t you leave her alone? Go back to your girlfriend Linda, would you?” He shouted, not caring to be loud and disruptive in the hospital.

Raymond stared at Bosco for a minute or two, wondering how Bosco knew of Linda. “Is there something I don’t know about? Did Tavia tell you anything –“

“She told me everything. She told me that you and Linda are back together.” Bosco interrupted.

Raymond’s mind whirled. She must’ve been there when Linda and I were at the harbor!  She must’ve heard and witnessed everything!

“Oh no…Please Bosco! This is all just a misunderstanding. I do love Tavia. Linda and I are over! Please…Tell me, where is she?”

Bosco was stunned as he stared at Raymond in the eyes. He suddenly looked so pained, and vulnerable. “I really don’t know…” Bosco mumbled.

Overwhelmed, Raymond turned around, walking away.

“Wait!” Bosco cried, as Raymond whirled around.

“I’ll help you.” Bosco mumbled, taking out his phone. He didn’t know why, but he believed Raymond, and he didn’t want to see Tavia upset anymore.

---

Waiting by the harbor, Raymond took a deep breath and thought of how he was going to explain all this to Tavia. For the past couple of nights after his encounter with Linda, he had thought about a lot of things. His mind flashed back to the times he had spent with Linda, and the times he had spent with Tavia.

Although he had been through so much with Linda, not all of their memories were blissful. He remembered all the times that they had fought, their arguments where Linda would always bring up how he didn’t spend enough time with her, but mostly their arguments involved her father, and collecting money to pay off his debts. Somehow, even if Linda hasn’t broke it off with him, he did realize that their relationship was gradually falling apart…

But deep down, he knew that although Linda is his first love, and he would always care for her, he loved Tavia dearly…For the past week, his mind was constantly thinking about Tavia…and not Linda. He no longer loved her as much as he did before; it didn’t bring him joy to see her again like it would before…

Upon hearing a light footstep on the cement floor, Raymond turned around swiftly, to see Tavia running off.

“Tavia!” Raymond yelled, chasing after her and grabbing a hold of her arm.

“Let go of me!” Tavia cried in a hostile tone.

“Taiva, listen to me! It’s not what it seems! It’s you that I love, not Linda!” He cried, trying to get her attention.

He was holding onto Tavia’s wrists, staring at her face while she her gaze was fixed onto the floor.

“Don’t lie to yourself, Mr. Lam. I saw with my very own eyes – she needs you, and you love her.” Tavia shouted, completely in denial.

She shrugged her wrists off, and just then, Raymond reached into his pants pocket and pulled something shiny and silver out.

Dangling the item in front of Tavia’ face, Tavia gasped at the sight of it. It was a Swarovski heart locket necklace, the one she had admired at first sight, when she was at the mall months ago. The little diamonds on the locket sparkled.

“I wanted to give you this…” Raymond began, his voice trembling. “I wanted to give you this the night of our first date. Trust me; I wouldn’t ever lie to you…”

Tavia wanted to give in right there and then and fall into his embrace. She believed him alright, her heart was telling her that he was true to her. But as soon as her arms dropped and she was prepared to embrace him, an image of Ron flashed into her mind. How could she be happy with Raymond, when Ron would be nothing but heartbroken? The guilt overwhelmed her.

Shaking her head, Tavia whispered, “I’m sorry Raymond. I need time…”  She started to dash off again.

“Wait Tavia! I don’t understand!” Raymond cried, while he tried to stuff the locket onto Tavia’s palm. While Tavia released her grip on it, it unknowingly slipped into her cardigan pocket.

Raymond had tried to pull Tavia into his embrace, while she struggled out of his reach. With all her strength, Tavia shrugged off Raymond’s arms, and ran away...

---

Running down the streets, Tavia stopped as the pedestrian sign turned red. Leaning down, she panted heavily, her hands on her knees. Her head was spinning, she couldn’t breathe, and she couldn’t stop crying.

Suddenly, a white van speeded its way toward the street Tavia was at, screeching to a stop at the side of the street, right beside Tavia. Turning her head at the sound, the door slid open, and out came four men. Their hair slicked to the side, their muscular arms displaying dragon tattoos, their hands carrying large knives, Tavia was frightened at the sight before her.

Before she could scream, a hand clamped over , and then everything went black.