Promise Me We Won't Cry

Promise Me We Won't Cry

There was a knock on the door.

Yesung bleary eyed stumbled out of bed and to the door. He missed the knob by inches, blinked, and then tried again.

“Hello?”

“Hyung.”

“Youngwoon?” What was Kangin doing? It was the middle of the night. Was he mental? But if he called Yesung ‘hyung’ that meant he was serious. Had something happened?

“What’s wrong?”

Kangin with a duck plushie shuffled past Yesung and into the room.

“Youngwoon?”

Kangin climbed into Yesung’s bed taking over half the space in the small bed. He gave his shaven head a scratch.

“Youngwoon?” Yesung repeated for a third time.

Kangin patted the space beside him, still not saying a word. Yesung raised an eyebrow but walked over.

He got in and awkwardly pressed against Kangin in order to fit.

“So why are you--”

Kangin made him lay down with his strength and wrapped his arms around Yesung’s waist.

“Youngwoon what--”

“Sh.”

“What?”

“Sh.”

Yesung attempted to turn around. “Don’t ‘sh’ me! Why are you--”

He turned and saw Kangin’s eyes full of tears.

“Are you—you’re crying?!”

Kangin wiped at his face with the duck plushie.

“I’m not—I’m just frustrated that you won’t shut up.”

“Youngwoon.” Yesung laughed, not believing the manliest guy after himself (of course) was crying.

Kangin punched his side. “Stop it!”

Yesung laughed pained and Kangin gave him a knee to the side then burst out crying. And Yesung meant cry. As in a heart wrenching cry. The kind that made you want to cry as well.

And Yesung did.

They both started crying and crying. All the memories of them wrestling, teasing each other, beating each other up, watching kung fu movies until 5 in the morning: all the memories of a friendship shared thoughout the years came pouring out through the tears.

Kangin finally broke the sobs. “You have to promise me we won’t cry at my enlistment okay?”

He made Yesung pinky swear.

Yesung nodded mutely.

“I love you Big Head.” Kangin said as he gave Yesung one last punch to the arm. He then got up and walked to the door. He still had more members to visit.

“I love you too, friend.” Yesung said.

Kangin turned nearly out the doorway and gave Yesung the stupid crescent eyed smile, the one Yesung would make fun of.

Now, it made his heart ache as he uncrossed his fingers underneath the sheets.


5 years later...


There was a fast knock on the door followed by a kick.

Kangin grumbled under his breath and staggered over to open it.

This had better not be a prank! He though moodily.

He opened the door to see Yesung looking half asleep, clutching a giraffe plushie.

“Hyung?” Kangin only seemed to use ‘hyung’ when it was serious. And for Yesung to be knocking at this hour it seemed pretty serious.

“Hyung?” He repeated when Yesung shouldered past him and got into his bed.

Still not saying anything Yesung patted the spot beside him with a smile. Kangin got in turning to him.

“Hyung, what’s this?”

Yesung made him turn and lay beside him.

That’s when Kangin realized what was happening. And as Yesung raised his fist to punch him he started to cry and just like 5 years ago Yesung began to cry with him.

“P-Promise we won’t cry at my enlistment tomorrow.” Yesung sobbed, offering his pinky.

Kangin held his hand instead. “I can’t promise anything, hyung.”  He said honestly.

Yesung managed a half-sob half-chuckle and gave him a punch.

“I love you stupid Raccoon.”

As he left towards the door he heard a faint, “I love you too, friend.”

He turned and Kangin gave him the same crescent eyed smile.

The one that made his heart ache once again as he uncrossed his fingers to open the door.