Chapter One

Remember Me

 

AUTUMN

Chanyeol unwraps the towel from his body, and steps into the bathtub.

"You're missing from me," he whispers before finally closing his eyes. He smiles at the precious image in his mind and wishes all his memories of yesterday fade in his slumber.

 

 

 

SUMMER

Chanyeol groans as he tries to push away the heavy object lying above him, with eyes still closed. He opens his left eye to look at the window across the room. It's still dark, ugh. Please.

"Baekhyun," he says, and repeats it over and over and over again, until Baekhyun finally opens his eyes, and moves away from him, and lies flat on the small bed.

"At last," Chanyeol sighs heavily as if a real heavy weight just got away from him, "you are ing heavy, you know."

"I know," Baekhyun says, unconsciously. Chanyeol snorts, laughing at his partner's known stupidity. He turns to face him, and stayed like that for a while, staring at Baekhyun's peaceful face, smiling even while he's sleeping.

Chanyeol's smile suddenly slip off his face. A familiar memory crosses his mind; like a déjà vu of some sort. His face turns red in just seconds. The longer the memory lingers, the tighter his chest goes. He lies down on his back, sweat forming on his forehead.

"I already forgot you," he clenches his jaw and closes his eyes tight, trying to wash away his thoughts. He shakes his head to force it out of his mind. But he can't. He's there. Kris never actually left from his spot inside Chanyeol.


==========  
==========


Chanyeol wakes up as Baekhyun plants kisses on his cheek, his lips, his neck, his collarbone, and his jaw, tickling the other in the process. His head's hovering above him, staring at him with intent eyes.

"Oh," Baekhyun moves away and fakes a smile, "did I wake you up?"

"uh, n-no," Chanyeol reaches out and pulls the other in a warm embrace, "you were just right on time for my morning kiss."

"Whose?" Baekhyun asks.

"What do you mean 'whose'?" Chanyeol tilts his head cutely.

Baekhyun's stomach growls just in time. "Oops, you hungry? Let's eat!" he grins and basically drags the giant Chanyeol to the kitchen.

He prepared sandwiches for breakfast while Chanyeol sat at the counter, swinging his feet and kicking Baekhyun's lightly once in a while and laughing at his own childish actions. Baekhyun finds this amusing. They finally sat at the small table across each other, and started eating their hearty breakfast, laughing every now and then with their silly jokes that only they could relate to.

"You were talking in your sleep earlier. It was rather amusing, you know," Baekhyun says after a while as he reaches out his hand across the table to feed Chanyeol his sandwich, "and you called out... names." His voice became faint.

He happily takes a bite then says, "names? Whose names?" His left eye twitches as he smiles widely, cheeks fully stuffed with food.

"Hey, you're gonna choke if you continue on eating like that. Chew your food more before swallowing it, okay?" Baekhyun replies, escaping the topic. Chanyeol didn't notice.

Baekhyun stands up and opens the fridge to grab a carton of milk. He shows it up 'round his shoulder and asks Chanyeol, "want some milk, Channie?"

Chanyeol eyes widen. The sudden mention of his nickname sent another wave of memories crashing through his mind, it's hurting him. It's hurting everything in him.

"Stop it," he said, voice suddenly firm. Cold. It startled Baekhyun.

Baekhyun turns and finds Chanyeol with both his legs up close his chest on his seat, head bowed down, and grabbing his hair with both hands, as if he's in so much pain. He quickly takes the seat beside him and shakes Chanyeol to get him back to his senses.

"Chanyeol," he calls out, eyes wide, "what happened? is something wrong? hey..."

After a couple of minutes with Baekhyun panicking and Chanyeol seemingly asleep on his seat, motionless, lost in the present time, he finally looks up and faces Baekhyun. He smiles his usual Happy Virus smile at his partner beside him as if nothing actually happened just minutes ago. What a bipolar kid.

"Have you... lost your mind? What's happening?" Baekhyun grabs Chanyeol's face, in the verge of crying.

"I'm fine. It's just ... flashbacks. It messes up my mind sometimes," he assures him.

"Does flashbacks often happen to you?" Baekhyun moves closer to him, eyes clearly troubled.

"Increasingly. Today," Chanyeol smiles widely, but his eyes say otherwise, "don't worry about it."

He winks at him creepily, making Baekhyun want to punch him. Lovingly, of course. Or not.

They continue eating happily like that, forgetting what just happened in between. It's easier this way. They both know it.



========== ♥ ==========


Later that afternoon, Chanyeol decides to go to the store just around the block to buy some ice cream. It's extremely hot today. The weather report says the temperature could reach up till 35 degrees Celsius. With hands in his pocket, and his favorite song playing in his earphones, Chanyeol walked seemingly carefree to the store. He comes back just after ten minutes and faces a situation he has yet to imagine even in his wildest dreams.

As he entered the front door, he sees two silhouettes of people talking out in the terrace. The one was an average sized guy, Baekhyun obviously, and the other one looked like he's as tall as him.

"You promised you won't go looking for him anymore," Chanyeol hears Baekhyun cry, faintly.

"I did. I know that. But I can't keep it. I'm sorry," Kris replies, voice trembling. His head is bowed down, shoulders stooped low.

"You can't be doing this, Kris. You--"

"What's happening?" Chanyeol opens the door, troubled. "Kris..."

Kris suddenly pulls him in a tight hug and buries his face by the nook of Chanyeol's neck. Baekhyun grabs his hand and drags him away from this person who's trying to take Chanyeol away from him. Kris' eyes widen, taken aback.

"This is not right, Kris," Baekhyun says, grinding his teeth.

Kris sighs deeply, and shakes his head. "I know that. But Chanyeol... it's hard to keep it all inside. Everytime I try to abrogate these feelings I have for you, it only makes me remember you more. We had memories, Chanyeol. We spent lots of time together. Can't you remember those?"

"Memories? It's a good place to visit, Kris. But not a good place to stay." Chanyeol says, looking straight in Kris' dark eyes. He clenches his right fist hard and grasps Baekhyun's hand tighter in the other, trying to not make himself take back what he said.

With hands shaking, and tears threatening to fall, Kris says, "Chanyeol, I miss you. Come back to me. Please."

Chanyeol breathes in one deep breath, and says, "The more you draw me closer to you, the more you make me sick of wanting you, Kris."

Kris wipes away the tears that fell from his eyes right after they fell. He bows his head down, then grabs something from his bag in a flash; something he wasn't expecting to see.

 

 

==========  ==========

 

 

"Remembering you... I don't know if it's going to make me better, because I think it's only killing me too," Chanyeol cries at the empty space surrounding him.


The silence is deafening him. His tears fall down his cheeks blending in with his dripping sweat. He's never felt so alone before. To hit two birds with one stone is something, but to lose two treasures in one day leaves you with nothing. If that even makes sense. Nothing actually makes sense to Chanyeol; not now.

The sound of two gunshots and incoherent screams echo in Chanyeol's ears. It was all too fast, all too cruel.  And now, it stays in his memories, hidden in the part where he can never remove it.








SPRING

Baekhyun squints his eyes as he tries to recognize the blurry figure walking towards him. He has an eyesight as good as a Gaussian blur effect in Photoshop.

The figure is running toward him fast. Baekhyun's instincts is telling him to run away, but something is forcing him to stand his ground. He fists both his hands, and curses under his breath, before finally deciding to run away from the figure. He breaks out into a sprint, bumping everyone or everything that blocks his way, gaining him judging stares.

"Aaaah!" he shrieks in pain as a huge guy knocks him off his feet, "sorry." His elbows got scraped by the rough pavement. It starts to bleed profusely, and his knees start to hurt so bad. He attempts to stand up, but before he does so, he feels a tight grip on his right shoulder, holding him down. He was frozen in his place.

"What do you need from me?" Baekhyun's voice shocks himself. His voice was firm, cold, frightening. He clenches his fist, then prepares to fight the person behind him. Just as he swings his left arm to hit the person, his body fails and he falls on his back harshly. He then catches a familiar scent. Too familiar.

The person catches his right hand before he might make another mini epic fail.

"Hey! Why on earth did you run away from me?" the person says, angry. Baekhyun can't still make out his face. His vision is getting more blurry. He got dizzy from all the bumping and falling.

The person continues, "what were you thinking?" His voice now seems much tender. The sound of concern is evident in his husky voice. He holds Baekhyun up in his arms slowly, as to not hurt him even further. All this to no avail for every inch of Baekhyun's body totally hurts now. He's already been sick for a week beforehand, then all of this had to happen. He winces as the person adjusts him on his arms. Baekhyun looks like a fragile child in the person's arms now.

Baekhyun looks up and finally recognizes the owner of the familiar voice, and the familiar scent. It's Chanyeol.

"Oh, darn. It's you." Baekhyun giggles softly.

Chanyeol chuckles, amused by Baekhyun's stupidity. He begins to walk slowly, effortlessly even. It's as if he was carrying something as light as a baby.

"Well, yes. Who else could it be?"

"A robber? An obssessive fan? Who knows? I'm a real beauty so someone like me should always be careful, you know," Baekhyun says with a straight face. Chanyeol snorts at his narcissism.

"Actually, I ran after you 'cause I forgot to give you something. I didn't expect you to run away like that. You're quite fast too, for a sick person, that is," he explains after chuckling a little.


Baekhyun closes his eyes and buries his already blushing face by the crook of Chanyeol's neck. Chanyeol was simply amused by how fast Baekhyun gets shy around him. A narcissistic brat still knows how to get embarrassed, after all.

Just like that, they walked silently back to Chanyeol's apartment to treat his day's injuries.

As they were just a block away from Chanyeol's apartment, Baekhyun looks up at the other's face and smiles.

"Hey," he waits before Chanyeol finally looks at him, "before I forget, what actually were you trying to give me?"

Chanyeol's smiles and looks straight at Baekhyun's imperfect eyes.

"You have such small eyes, don't you?" he teases, gaining a cute pout form Baekhyun, "and defective ones, on top of that."

"Sheesh, no need to say it out loud," he rolls his eyes at Chanyeol. "Just tell me what it is."

"I got you glasses, okay?" he chuckles happily, showing his pearly white teeth, "I knew you lost your contacts, love."

"Love?" Baekhyun stares at him, dumbfounded.

Chanyeol smiles.








WINTER

Over his cup of hot chocolate and cookies, Chanyeol wraps himself in a thick blanket on his couch at the corner of his living room. He puts down his cup down and started scanning through channels, mindlessly.

He's in a rather bad mood that afternoon. It must be negative seriously-ing-low degrees Celsius today.  And what rotten luck he has, for his heater's broken and the technician's not coming till next week.

Chanyeol hates winter the most. His whole body's cold and everything outside's surrounded in snow which makes him love his room more. Just not today. His room feels colder than ever, he fears he might suffer from hypothermia anytime soon. He's about to turn blue.

The sudden loud knock on the door alerts all of Chanyeol's senses. His left eye twitches as it usually does when he's shocked, curious, thinking, smiling, or even just talking. It has become one of his charms, actually. He takes a sip from his cup of chocolate before basically dragging his whole body covered in 5 layers of clothing, making him look like a half asleep teddy bear walking.

He takes a peek at the door scope to see an average sized man with pink lips, ruffled hair, and milky white skin. Chanyeol suddenly takes a little step back, startled, as the stranger looked through the door scope from the opposite side the same time he did.

"Wow, he must have such small eyes," he snickers as he notices the thick eyeliner around the stranger's eye. "Hmm, haven't seen this guy before."

He then fixes up his thick blanket over his shoulders, unlocks all three latches on his door, and opens it slowly.

"Hi," the stranger remarks as Chanyeol finally opens the door wide. An awkward silence follows his greeting.

"Uhh," he feels his throat suddenly dry up making it sound deeper and huskier. "Who... are you?"

"Oh, yes. Sorry for not introducing myself," the stranger's smile is pretty. "I'm Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun."

Baekhyun stretches his hand out, as to offer a handshake. Chanyeol stood frozen in his position. His eyes widen, staring at the other's extended hand. Baekhyun fists and withdraws his hand, then laughs awkwardly by himself when he notices Chanyeol feeling uncomfortable just by his mere presence. Chanyeol just stands there, eyes wide and questioning Baekhyun's intention.

"Well, you see," Baekhyun bites his lower lip. His hands are now starting to sweat. "I'm Kris' friend. Wu Fan. You know him, right?"

Chanyeol's eyes go wider at the mention of Kris' name. He's his childhood friend who, apparently, he hasn't seen since 3 years ago. What does this stranger have to do with me? Did Kris send him?

Baekhyun looks straight at Chanyeol's clear eyes. It's as if he's talking with them; as if he's telling Baekhyun to continue explaining everything to him.

Baekhyun clears his throat, and curves up the sides of his lips, giving out a soft smile. I bet he's had lots of girls fall for him, Chanyeol thought.

"I met Kris when I was in China three years ago. He's a good friend," his voice sounds tender and more relaxed now. "I actually come from Bucheon in the Gyeonggi Province, and I just went here to Seoul for some urgent matters. And unfortunately, I have no place to sleep at tonight. So..."

Chanyeol finally notices the huge luggage by Baekhyun's side.

"You must be missing something from your story. How did you find me?" Chanyeol finally speaks up after what seemed like hours to Baekhyun.

"Oh," Baekhyun smiles sheepishly, "Kris gave me your address. So can I sleep with you tonight?"

Chanyeol's eyes became wide, taken aback by the other's choice of words.

"Sleep... with me?" Chanyeol speaks in a rather cold tone, eyebrows completely furrowed.

"Yes-- I mean no!" he chuckles rather awkwardly as he scratches the back of his head. "Can I stay with you tonight?"

"How long?" his body finally softens up.

"I don't know. As long as you let me."

Chanyeol smiles his Totoro-like smile, and takes a step back, extends his hand forward, welcoming his new temporary roommate.

"Chanyeol. I'm Park Chanyeol."