The Blue Boy and The Red Girl

The Blue Boy and The Red Girl

 

The sound of cars outside. People passing by, holding hands. The same warm laughters coming from that table occupied by a high school couple at the corner of the cafe. Dim lights painting over the smiles of nearly everyone inside the coffee house tonight. Key could only feel smaller and smaller as the clock ticked forward. Choosing a 'melancholy' spot by the window was only the start of this gloomy Saturday. But the rest of the night was a pure torture for him. 

Usually, he came here to find inspirations, or as he liked to call, 'fishing for a muse'. But tonight he didn't come to feel inspired. Tonight he was just plain dull and in need of a cup of coffee to bring himself to life, which didn't work at all so far. Every sip threw him back to the sketches he made, along with the letter clipped on top of it. "...for the time being your designs are not what we're looking for.." and everytime he remembered the words, he took another sip of his coffee and there would be a slight pause after that where he took his breath, before the cycle repeated itself. Heavier each time.

Key sunk to the sofa seat, leaning his head to face the window. Same Saturday night feel out there, same warm colors, and he knew it was useless to try making himself feel better by staring at all the happy people. Couples were seen almost everywhere, so many that he nearly scoffed at all the too-cute-to-be-true love scenes. But the thought lingered on his mind now, wondering if things would be different with someone by his side. A girlfriend. Maybe this rejection wouldn't be so bitter if there was someone cheering him up, and not Jonghyun taking him out for bottles of soju. Pathetic, he said to himself. One should be able to rise back on his feet with or without anyone's help, he replayed his father's voice. 

He sighed, taking his last sip of Americano. Asking for the bill, he waved to one of the waiter across the room before his head limped back to the cushion of the seat. The street was filled with more and more people as lights floating across the dark night sky. Tonight he wouldn't be around his desk, for it only going to irritate him more about the rejection. He was thinking of renting some DVDs, but the thought of walking all the way to the video store was tiring already. 

Then, just like a mirror, he saw his own expression on the cold window. The girl was sitting on a pet cafe across the street, looking out of the window, feeling blue. Well, it wasn't like he could read her mind or anything, but somehow he could tell. Smiling, he waved his hand, "Hi there. You, who look just as terrible as I am." 

Chuckling at his desperate action, he shrugged and was startled when the waiter showed up with his bill. Key dugged for his wallet, didn't forget to leave some tips for the waiter. "Thanks for coming, have a good night sir." the waiter said politely, taking the bill away with him.

Key nodded to him and heavily lifted himself up from the comfortable seat. Some titles of the dramas airing on TV acrossed his mind as he made his way out of the cafe. He wasn't usually interested in melodrama and such, but tonight he was out of options. 

"Hey. You, who waved to me earlier."

Looking up, he found the girl who, just as she mentioned, he waved to earlier. She had one of those quirky faces with a reddish-brown hair. Semi-permanent color, Key could tell. She smiled at him, and he awkwardly smiled back at her, the surprise was a bit overwhelming. Quietly he glanced toward the pet cafe, to the spot where this girl was spacing out by the window. It was empty. The girl across the street was really there, standing before him between all the crowds passing by. A little dramatic, Key had to admit, but something inside him was excited about it.

"I didn't think you'd see me waving like that. Tch, it was stupid. Sorry." he said, trying to brush it off. The girl couldn't stop smiling, completely different from her sulky look a few moments ago. 

"It's okay." she simply replied, somewhat staring at him in amusement.

The girl pulled out her smartphone and captured his puzzled expression before he could even tell what was going on. Then she moved to his side quickly, touching the button once again to capture the two of them, with her smiling wide.

"Hey.. Wait, what's the picture for?" Key said fast, while the girl busy adding stickers to their photo. 

"To celebrate us meeting today~" she chirped, showing him the photo she just took of them, decorated with silly emoticon stickers. Key laughed, still trying to figure out what was exactly going on. They were both strangers, that's for sure. Secondly, he didn't expect her to come to him and do.. whatever she was doing at the moment.

"You looked like you were going to die earlier." she let out a small chuckle, "I think I could almost see myself when I saw you leaning by that cafe window."

"Wow. Exactly what I thought when I saw you across the street! So, what now? Should we call this fate or something?" he joked. He himself didn't believe in superstitious and such nonlogical things.

The red-haired girl laughed, "Nah. Let's not call this fate. No drama on Saturday nights, please." she smiled. Key nodded in agreement. 

"Your turn. Now grab your phone, take a picture of us." she said, positioning herself by his side one more time. Key wasn't sure, but he liked to go along with the idea so he fished his smartphone out and said, "Pout. We should pout." he said, and both of them pouted together for the camera. Click!

The girl peeked at the result and was happy to see their silly faces on his phone. She was about to comment when Key explained the photo, "It's a reminder of us, two random people feeling blue on a cruel Saturday night. Well, at least it's cruel for me."

She giggled, and it was not girly at all. Rather weird, he thought. "No, you're right. It's also cruel for me."

Key wanted to come up with something to reply, but he ended up mute. Same for the girl, who was still standing next to him, unsure what to say. This is awkward. This is awkward. This is awkward. 

"Feeling better?"

Key turned to her, finding a sincere smile on her thin face. "Uh, magically, yes. Yes I am. You?"

She nodded strongly, "Way better. Amazingly without any help from soju."

On this, Key laughed, "Wow, you're like a mind reader or something. I thought the same thing! Usually my friends would drag me for some shots, but tonight I just ran for a coffee."

"..and with the help of our not-so-fateful-meeting." she added playfully.

"True, true." he said, smiling at her. 

"Thanks for the picture." she slipped her smartphone back into her jacket and bowed a little to him. Key did the same, "Same goes to you, lady. Thank you."

Hearing the word lady, the girl chuckled. She waved at him and made her way back to the pet cafe. Didn't want to be awkward, Key started walking past the cafe, contunuing his way home. But his eyes were still following the red-haired girl until she sat back on her spot by the window. There, the sulky-looking girl was back, only this time she looked a lot more happier, pretty much a reflection of himself. 

He kept walking, leaving the people on the streets behind, finishing the night with a smile on his face. That wasn't a fate, or destiny, he repeated to himself. That was just how nature works, pulling two humans with similarity together. 

 

***

 

"There." he said, clipping their printed photos together along with the rejection letter and his fashion portfolio. He slipped them all under the glass of his desk, as a reminder for him. As long as he didn't stop, he could make it to the top someday. Days like this would come, but when that time come, he'll know where to go.

The coffee shop.

 

***

Hi, thanks for reading :D

I was just having a massive writer's block and came up with this story after seeing this pic:

It felt good to write a short one like this XD

and though it's not my favorite pairing, but I found them really cute on the pic, so I can't help it kekeke~

Hope you all have a nice weekend~^^

Leave your comments below and tell me what you think :D

It would be a huge help for me!

Critics and suggestions are very very welcome!