On Rainy Days

On Rainy Days [ONE-SHOT]

 

Title: On Rainy Days
Character(s): Kim Jae joong, Kwon Yuri
Rating: G
Summary: Those Days, Jae joong doesn't know what he's doing. She who brings nothing but smiles on his face, Jae joong only made her cry. His sweet angel knows only how to love him endlessly, Jae joong just took her for granted.
The rain is falling, Jae joong watches that woman walk away with tears in her eyes, he wants to cry and steal his beloved back in his arms yet he finds himself doing nothing.
He waits for the rain to stop. His heart full of regrets. He knows its too late for everything now.
Rain always falls, so the memories will repeat again.
 

Not like any other concerts, DBSK renders their most powerful performace for their debut. Jae joong, then, seems to be the most tired after the last performance. And although he's merely staggering his way back into the SM Entertainment's van, luck mischievously draws him into an inevitable situation of running onto a bunch of avid and most dangerous fangirls.
 

The night is gravely wet with rain and it isn't a completely comfortable position for Jae joong to hide behind dark corners of the street. But his fans can be too rough from time to time and he's left with no choice. The cold wall obviously isn't going to lay down for him. He rubs his hands together, trying to ease its numbness from the breeze. There isn't any porch or roof to cover him from the surging storm and he's awfully soaked. He curses the rain for it.
 

"The rain isn't so bad, you know?"

A sudden but gentle voice behind him makes him flinch. He turns and gets blinded by a flash from a camera. He tries to rub off a violet box floating from his eyes and fails on the attempt.

"I think its the most wonderful creation here on earth!"
 

He blinks and sees a woman in front of him. Her head is tilting to her shoulders; an umbrella is stuck in between. Laces hang below her knees from the ivory dress she's wearing. She holds a camera with both of her hands. The lady is obviously a fan and he knows instantly that he should be running away and trying to escape.
 

"No its not." He stands completely idle, burrowing his gaze deeper in her eyes. Jae joong's definitely seeing a more wonderful creation right there.

"Yeah it is!"

"I've seen better"

"But the rain is the best!"

 
She's relentless and not long after a brief battle of "No, its not" and "Yes, it is.", Jae joong's reminded of how loosing feels.
 
 
 
Many days, Jae joong's induced to bore himself attending a seminar on how fans can be delicately terrifying if you were to debut in an idol group. He'll soon end up knocked to sleep on his chair shortly before the speaker arrives.

When they finally get home, the hotel's parking lot isn't so much still as Jae joong sees it. His car is parked high from the ground; maybe on the fourth floor at the least. Some nights he stalks the view of the city from the lot's open walls while sipping on his cup of iced coffee. Its the only time Jae joong finds time to be alone and free from his typical, public world.

He's feeling the cool of the wind when a flash of light blinks on his peripheral.
 
 
"So the magazine was right about your favorite spot then?"
 
There's a woman walking almost hesitantly towards him. She hides a camera behind her back, making Jae joong smile in a strange amusement. He recognize the lady in just an instant: the same girl he met by the street when he was hiding from his fans.
 
 
"Hi." He greets with an awkward smile. It isn't everyday that Jae joong encounters a fan as persisntent as her, but he just couldn't bring himself to name her a 'stalker'. She's too beautiful to be a stalker-- He thinks.
 
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't be here." There's a hint of joy behind her apologetic smile.
 
"No!--" Jae joong suddenly sounds defensive. He blinks and wets his lips in search for the right words to make the woman stay. He fails and offers a spare coffee instead. The lady's sweet smile unnerves him even more.
 
 
"I'm Yuri." She says and his heart starts thudding unevenly.
 
 
 
 
*****
 
The parking lot, indeed, is Jae joong's favorite place. It's more like a hide out from everything that keeps him befuddled, including: the press, his fans, rehearsals, photoshoots, and especially his hyungs. However if there's one thing Jae joong really loves that place for, it is because Yuri's always there.  Meeting with her has become a daily basis for Kim Jae joong, his day won't seem complete in any case of ditching her on a date (which is gravely rare as for his currently very lousy schedule due to the constant storm).

 
Jae joong woudn't seem to fit under the bed sheets as he squeezes his palms over his ears, trying to deflate the noise from the thundering rain.
 
It's this type of day that Jae joong only wants to lay on his bed and listen to his music. He often sleeps on the couch and do nothing before Yuri comes in and starts dragging him through the unusually empty streets. He never knew the neighborhood becomes very still when it rains.
 
"Where have all the people gone?" Jae joong asks, watching Yuri spontaneously play with the drizzle of water.
 
"They're all home, Escaping the fun just like you do!"
 
Jae joong gives off a pleased smile and joins Yuri under the rain.
 
 
 
 
 
Those, though,  weren't everyday occurences for the both of them. After his group's debut, Jae joong has been very busy with more work and less fun. He barely sees Yuri once in a week let alone returns her frequent calls. "I'm busy" is forever his lame excuse.
 
The time he decides to show up in the parking lot, he's tormented by the media. He sees Yuri, helplessly trying to flee from the crowd of cameras. Jae joong struggles to hold on his last drops of politeness until one reporter yanks her recklessly. Jae joong loses it and starts jostling his way to her.
 
"YA AJUSSHI! Get your hands off her!"
 
"I- I just want to ask a few question--"
 
"Can't you see she doesn't want to answer? NOW BACK OFF!"
 
His voice fills the room and everthing abruptly turns silent. He pulls Yuri in his arms and not for long, he hears the rushing security.
 
 
The next day, Jae joong fills the news.

 
 
 
*****
 
 
Everything's dark. Jae joong listens to every drop of water falling from the sky as he sit behind a black ford parked next to his car. He doesn't peer from the walls nor sip on a coffee anymore-- He can't. Tons of ruthless reporters and fans come to the place day by day, hoping to catch another issue.
Jae joong can never see the place the way he used to. He now hides behind cars, watching that his breath won't make a sound, and waits for His beloved to save him from the cold of the rain. His heroine doesn't come to the place anymore.
 
"This place's a bit different now." He says.
 
His phone suddenly rings, making all the people turn to his direction. At that moment, he breaks into a run and forgets answering the call.
 
The day flew past him and soon, the frost of the night envelopes him as he squirms deeper under his blanket. He grips his phone in his right hand and waits for Yuri to call again after he missed answering the first. He doesn't think of calling her first-- his pride won't let him. He figures Yuri loves him too much and won't let the night pass without his 'goodnight'. After all, she's still his fan.
 
 
Yuri left no calls that night and in the morning, Jae joong finds out why:

 
 
 
The streets are still wet from the last night's storm and little droplets of rain drizzle over his head as he drag himself to the Seoul Hospital. He doesn't mind the line of screaming fans tailing from his back. He reckons they won't have a chance past the hospital's guards anyway.
In a room, he finds Yuri covered with bandage on several parts of her body. She sits on one side of the bed, mindlessly drawing a circle around bruises.

 
"She's attacked by a couple of your fans, you know." The doctor says. Jae joong ignores the man and slides beside Yuri.
 
"What happened?" He asks.
 
"The parking lot," Yuri looks up to him with tears in her eyes. "Why was there so many people--"
 
"Now why the hell would you go there!?"
 
"I was hoping you'll--"
 
"I thought we talked this over!?"
 
 
They did. And abiding on Jae joong's made up laws, Yuri isn't allowed to go there anymore. He regards it to be extremely dangerous for the circumstance but the way Yuri sees it; she's being forbid to the only way she could meet his one love.
 
"I know but I miss my oppa."
 
"Yuri-ya, you could've just called me!"
 
"You wont answer."
 
"Only on those times I'm busy."
 
"That would be all the time."
 
"Don't be ridiculous!"
 
"I love you Jae joong-ah"
 
"I know. But still, don't go around and do stuffs the way you want to. Don't forget; I'm an idol and you're just you. Things work differently between us, okay?"
 
 
Yuri surpresses a sob and nods slowly in reply. Jae joong then moves to pay off the bills.
 
"I'm just me." She repeats under her breath as tears make their way from her eyes. The sentence tears on her heart as much, dealing with the fact that it came from the lips of the man he loves.
 
 
 
*****

At the day of a press conference, Jae joong's caught in a decision he has to make.
 
"So, can you now tell us who's the girl at the parking lot?" One reporter asks.
Jae joong tries to weigh the consequences. What happens if he denies it? What happens if he don't? The reporter repeats his question and Jae joong instantly knew he's not given much time to think. So he goes for what he guesses is right.

 
 
"She's a fan." He says.

 
 
 
*****
 
It's twelve midnight and the parking lot is surprisingly empty. The rustling of the leaves and the sound of the rain's the only noise. Jae joong holds a cup in one hand and curls the other around Yuri. Both of them staring at the quiet city. Jae joong smiles at one of his billboards and finds Yuri gazing at something farther than they both can see. He brushes a bundle of hair from her face and the moment their eyes lock, his heart broke.
 
 
"Yuri-ya, what's wrong?" He asks, taking her shoulders in his hands, cup of coffee abandoned.
She doesn't say anything. Jae joong's frustrated and not for long, he realizes:

 
"Was this about the thing I said at the interview?"
Yuri remains silent.

 
"You know I have to say it."
 
"Jae joong-ah, You didn't have to." She says, her voice breaking with every phrase.
 
"Look, I had no choice, okay? I considered many things before saying that."
 
"Did you consider thinking about how I might feel?"
 
Jae joong's taken back. "Don't be too selfish, Yuri."
 
"You're the one being selfish! You could've just told them I was your friend!"
 
"That makes no difference, I don't understand why you're getting too upset about this!"
 
"Kim Jae joong, I'm your girlfriend, aren't I? That makes everything different!"
 
"Well you know what? Why don't we just make everything true then?"
 
"What do you mean?"
 
"I think you should just stay being my fan and stalk me around like you used to."
 
"Jae joong-ah..."
 
"You're not even good for me anyway."
 
"Stop it. You're just saying that because you're mad."
 
"I mean it. Let's break up."
 
 
Jae joong doesn't know what he's doing.

 
 
The rain is falling, Jae joong watches that woman walk away with tears in her eyes, he wants to cry and steal his beloved back in his arms yet he finds himself doing nothing.
 
Yuri leaves everything and she has taken Jae joong's heart with her.

 
 
Jae joong doesn't realize what he's done until he's alone. He begins missing Yuri and his longing is inexcusable. He finds escape in alcohol every night, drowning in his own tears. His friends can't do anything.
 
 
The world turns dark, the rain quietly falls and everything is still.
 
 
Jae joong opens his eyes and feels in the warmth of the stage lights as it flash through him and four other godly men by his side. His every move is in harmony with their serene voices and the mellow music. He looks down to the crowd before him, a young lady in a white dress catches his eyes. He knows right then; he has to sing every note with flawless perfection. His heart beats once again and all of a sudden, the world around them disappears. He watches that woman smile under the small drops of water from the sky.
 
The next thing he feels is the pounding in his chest. Painful, too painful. Jae joong reaches for her but ends up drowning in a sea of dark water. He hears the thunders of the rain, fighting for the tides. He could no longer breathe, his heart burning.
 
 
 
 
Once again, he opens his eyes, catches his breath and for a second, he sighs in relief to see pillows around him. And even though everything's cold, the sheets are warm over him. He touches his face and feels water running from the corners of his eyes. He then realizes the pain in his chest. It remains burning even after the dream.

 
"Its all a dream. Everything's over now."

 
Jae joong feels the familiar breeze of the storm, listens to the sound of the rainfall and closes his eyes. Water runs from his eyes as he looked through the window.

 
“The rain really is not wonderful at all, Yuri.”

He waits for the rain to stop. His heart full of regrets. He knows its too late for everything now.
Rain always falls, so the memories will repeat again.
 
 
End