3/3

Behind the Mask

The clock was ticking in the book store. Hoya put down his book and looked at the time. It read a quarter to seven. It was probably time for dinner soon. He closed his book, put it in his bag and walked over to the door only to see it pouring down outside.

I knew it. He knew it would rain today. He searched his bag without luck.

No umbrella.

With a sigh, he opened the front door and looked for his bike. It wasn't there.

"Damn it!" he cursed quietly and looked at the sky. It was dark and the rain was getting heavier. There was no other choice but to run all the way home. This was going to be fun...

He ran out of the safe haven of the warm store and into the freezing rain. It quickly soaked his clothes and dampened his hair. He clutched his bag and looked for the closest shelter.

Eventually, after what seemed like an eternity, he reached the park. There were public toilets there with a roof that stretched out over dry ground. Excellent, was his only thought. He ran towards it, but stopped again all of a sudden. Under the roof of the public toilets stood Sunny herself, a satchel clutched in her arms.

He quickly walked up beside her and placed himself under the roof. The lack of rain on his face felt like a relief and he inhaled and exhaled slowly.

"Why are you here?" he asked.

"What?" Sunny responded.

"Why are you," he pointed at her, "here?"

Sunny huffed. "You don't want me to be here?"

Hoya chuckled weakly. "It's called a public toilet for a reason."

She didn't answer. Instead she took out a lighter and a pack of cigarettes, lighting up one of them, shoving the rest back into the pocket of her jacket.

"Those aren't good for you, you know," Hoya commented.

Sunny exhaled a ring of smoke. "Don't care."

There was a pregnant silence. Hoya broke it. "You're actually bearable without all that aegyo stuff going on."

No sound.

"What is up with that, really?" he asked. "You act more childish than those Japanese cartoon girls."

"Maybe it's because I want be like them," Sunny answered.

"Huh?"

She looked at him for a moement, before inhaling more smoke. "They are cute and well-dressed," she began, smoke exiting as she spoke. "Guys like them a lot. They are admired and have fans. Lots of them."

"What does that have to do with–"

No sound came after that as Sunny got up on her toes and pushed her lips towards his in a short, heavy kiss. Before he could say anything, she pulled away.

"In my family," she said, a hint of annoyance or sadness in her voice, "I am the youngest. I have two older sisters. One of them has a child. Being the youngest would usually mean being spoiled, I've been told. To me, it's the opposite. To me, being the youngest means being ignored."

Hoya looked at her. He said nothing.

"I act cute because my size is right for it. Being cute means getting attention. You could say I'm an attention-seeker."

Hoya stared. Sunny stared back. There was a weird staring contest.

He started laughing, out loud and more than he had ever before. He clutched his stomach, finding it hard to breathe.

Sunny stared at him in disbelief. "I can't believe you!"

"S-sorry..." Hoya chuckled, sounding more like a giggle to him. "I... I never would've thought that we could be so much alike!"

Sunny smiled and did chuckle a little herself. "So you do have the capability to smile. This whole scary guy thing..." she said, waving her hand up and down his body.

"And that whole cutesy little girl stuff..." he added.

"It's just a mask," they both said. They laughed. Then it was quiet.

Sunny threw her cigarette on the ground and stomped on it with her leather-clad boot. "I guess people are better once you get to know the person behind the mask." She turned to him, opened her satchel and pulled out a green umbrella. "Wanna share?"

Hoya grinned. "I thought you'd never ask." He grabbed the umbrella and put it between them as they walked down the park towards the streets. The rain had calmed down slightly, a rainbow appearing faintly in the sky somewhere.

Oscar Wilde once said: Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.