The Mr. Kims and the Directors

Press: RELEASE

 

“Honestly, Ms. Lao, how many times have we been to this restaurant? I can’t believe you still get lost!” Mr. Cho complained after the elevator doors have shut. Lily secretly rolled her eyes at her boss. If he knew so well, then why didn’t he just drag her to the right place? All he did was exhale irritatedly like a brat while she walked up and down the ground floor corridors of the compound at City Hall. There was another restaurant called Maxim’s in the east block, but it was fast food-style rather than luxury dining.

 

After checking the address once more and carefully looking at the buildings’ names, they finally found the famous Maxim’s Palace. As the address stated, they made their way to the second floor, hoping that they were the first to arrive.

 

Straight ahead and around a corner after the elevators, the familiar bright and airy atmosphere of the Chinese restaurant greeted them. Lily, despite being irritated at her boss, smiled at the floor-to-ceiling windows framed by wispy, dark brown drapes that let in the beautiful mid-morning sunlight. The silver chandeliers caught the light and twinkled high above their heads. The tables were covered with crisp, white linens and adorned with equally white napkins, polished silverware, and at the center, a small vase of flowers and a silver pot filled with hot tea. The attendants, after a warm greeting, led them to a table where three men in suits sat. Upon seeing them, the men stood up and formed a rough line in front of the table to meet them.

 

Lily recognized one of them as Mobit Corporation’s Senior Executive Vice President, Mr. Kim, but she wasn’t sure, since she’s only seen him in the executive flowchart and never in the office. He had the same bob-like haircut that’s parted to the right and tucked neatly under both ears. Lily knew he was a pretty guy based on the pictures, but in person he was - for a lack of a better term - fabulous. His skin was paler and more flawless than most women’s, and even though he was wearing a suit, Lily could swear he’d be more beautiful as well.

 

Lily gave a waist-deep bow in unison with Mr. Cho as he said, “Good morning, gentleman. We apologize for being late. We… ah… got turned around a bit.”

 

“Oh, Kyuhyun, it’s alright,” Mr. Kim said, casually waving the apology off. “We’re not a bunch of stiff old dudes, right, gentlemen?”

 

The two men that flanked him smiled, albeit a little awkwardly. The one to his right wore a light gray suit, had his hair neatly coiffed into a pile on top of his head like the latest trend, and looked smart behind his rimless glasses. The man to Mr. Kim’s left was wearing white on white - white shirt under a white jacket, deep blue slacks, and white boat shoes. There was an air of smugness about him, the typical aura of someone who had his faith in his money.


 

~~~


 

“You guys know my baby cousin, Kibum,” Mr. Kim said, placing a hand on the shoulder of the man to his right. “He is, after all, part of our company’s board of directors.”

 

“Heechul hyung, please,” Mr. Kim Kibum said, his controlled expression thinly veiling a bubbling annoyance. He stretched his hand out to receive Mr. Cho’s outstretched one. “It’s nice to see you again, Mr. Cho.”

 

“Likewise, sir,” Mr. Cho said, shaking the younger Mr. Kim’s hand. “Or should I say, Director Kim? Congratulations on being appointed as one of Mobit Corp’s directors. I’m sure you’ll bring our company into the future.”

 

“Thank you,” Mr. Kim Kibum replied, a little more at ease. “And Director Kim, I still feel, is something people call my father. But I guess I’d have to get used to it now.” He returned Lily’s greeting bow with one of his own.

 

The man to Mr. Kim Heechul’s left cleared his throat.

 

“Oh, Jungsoo, I didn’t forget about you,” Mr. Kim chuckled, patting his companion’s back reassuringly. “PR team, this is Park Jungsoo, the Executive Director of Kona Industries, and also member of our board. As you know, Kona Industries is one of our major shareholders, and as such, we will be working with them to fix the solar panel factory issue.”

 

Kyuhyun couldn’t help but observe Mr. Park from the corner of his eyes while Mr.Kim introduced him. He wasn't sure what it was, but the way this guy's eyes scanned Ms. Lao from head to foot made him take a step forward, partially blocking her from his view.

 

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Park," Kyuhyun said as cordially as he could, offering his hand for a shake.

 

Mr. Park raised an eyebrow, a telltale smirk on his lips. "That's Director Park, Mister...?" he corrected, shaking Kyuhyun's hand briefly.

 

Kyuhyun mentally rolled his eyes. Pah! Who insists on being called director? He was deputy chief of PR, but never really corrected people when they failed to address him as "Deputy Chief Cho", especially ones who aren’t in his department and wouldn’t really be aware of his proper title. Besides, it made him sound so... old.

 

"Ah, yes, Director Park, my apologies," Kyuhyun apologized nonetheless, handing his business card over. They needed to be on the good side of these people so a certain amount of up is required. “I’m Cho Kyuhyun, Mobit Corporation PR.”

 

But even before he finished speaking, Director Park’s eyes have already flicked towards the person behind him. “And this is…?” He asked casually, not even sparing a glance at the card he just received.

 

Hesitating for a heartbeat, Kyuhyun replastered the cordial expression on his face as he gave in and stepped aside, revealing Ms. Lao. Maintaining his tone, he introduced, “This is Ms. Lilian Lao, my subordinate.”

 

“It’s an honor to meet you, Mr. P - I mean, Director Park, I’m so sorry-” Ms. Lao amended, flustered by her mistake. She fumbled at her card holder as Director Park stretched out his hand for a shake. Not sure what to do, Ms. Lao pressed her business card, which she successfully got from her case, into his palm, and clasped his hand with both of hers in an awkward handshake-bow.

 

In any other circumstance, he would’ve been laughing on the inside at her by now, planning his witty teasing remarks for later. He didn’t know what, but something really bothered him about that man…

 

“Okay, enough bowing. Let’s get to business!” Mr. Kim Heechul said, clapping his hands once. “First order of importance: what do you guys want to eat?”


The staff on standby came alive and went into full service mode, pulling out chairs and refilling water goblets with pleasant smiles, but Kyuhyun barely noticed all these. He was busy watching Director Park’s pleased smirk as he thoroughly read Ms. Lao’s business card, before shifting his gaze back to her, the glint in his eyes as he looked at her making Kyuhyun’s stomach unsettled.

 

~ ~ ~

 

The week he’s been dreading all month finally arrived. He even spent a good thirty minutes trying out that anti-panic breathing meditation thing that Lily taught him before.

 

Focus on breathing. Just breathing. Count the breaths. Don’t think of anything else. Just count your breaths.

 

But he could never get past 10. That arrogant rapper’s face always popped up before his closed eyes, which sends him imagining multiple, morbid ways of the guy’s untimely demise.

 

He remembered that last one - pricked by a thousand needles and left to bleed slowly to death. Imagine those perpetually lined eyes of his enlarge with terror as a giant needle came closer and closer to his cornea, and his struggling only makes it-

 

“Donghae! Nice to see you again!”

 

A tiny smirk of pleasure left on his face, Donghae turned around to see one of the rapper duo enter the practice room.

 

“Shindong hyung!” Donghae greeted back, rising from his seat on the floor and grasping the guy’s hand before exchanging claps on the back.

 

“It’s nice to be working with you again,” Shindong said with a genuinely pleased smile. Donghae smiled back, already feeling at ease. "I already have a couple of moves in mind for the beginning of the song, but I can sure use your help with the bridge part."

 

They settled against the table, Donghae sitting half of his at the edge as Shindong unpacked his backpack. “I found that part a little problematic, too,” the latter admitted. “Spent all last night in the practice room. I did everything, man, was practically doing Cirque du Soleil stuff but nothing clicked.”

 

Donghae nodded in sympathy. If writers had writer’s block, then dancers have dancer’s block as well. There’s nothing more frustrating than being at a standstill with the music. “Did you record your session? Maybe we could pull something out from there and mix in some of mine,” he suggested.

 

“Of course,” Shindong said, pulling out his phone. “But thank goodness, when I was ready to pack up, Hyuk came in and-”

 

“Saved your from another waste of a night.”

 

Donghae tensed at the voice. He’s here. He discreetly took a deep, steadying breath and turned to look at the speaker.

 

 _____________________________________

 

Hello my lovely readers! 

How have you been? Did you have a good... few months? T_T I'm sorry, what I thought would only be a couple of weeks turned into months. Last semester of school really took away my social life, and this current semester is threatening to do the same. But while it's still manageable, I'm doing my best to write little pieces, and hopefully finish the next two chapters soon so I can post quickly.

Not gonna make promises anymore, I've disappointed you enough. I'm really sorry. :( But here, I hope you enjoy this new chapter!^^ Thank you so so much for sticking with me.