Damn.

Chocolate Milk, Bread, and Innuendos

 

There’s a boy singing on one of the park’s benches. He’s got a guitar case out, but no instrument. Either he’s singing for himself or for a few hopeful dollars from some passersby; but it’s one in the morning and the only people around are people like Youngjae looking for a midnight snack. Youngjae doesn’t know his intentions, neither does he want to particularly. The guy’s singing voice is good, though, and maybe that’s why Youngjae buys an extra bun at the convenience store and a cup of warm coffee.

 

(it’s one of those japanese brands wrapped up in plastic. youngjae can’t read the flavors on the packaging, but he thinks he grabs a maple and a brown sugar one. they’re both brown. who knows)

 

Youngjae walks back towards the boy who’s still belting out the high note of some American song. His voice is loud and breaks through the crack of the wind. Youngjae’s kind of awkward about it and he drops the bread into the guitar case when he’s fumbling to get it out of his bag. There’s a loud smack when it falls. The boy stops his note short (well he’s been at it for a good thirty seconds already) and stares at the lone bread sitting atop of a few colorful bills and coins, and Youngjae accompanies him. He then bashfully sets the cup of coffee down, along with a handful of creamers and sugars he stuffed into his pocket, before hastily power walking away. He makes sure not to kick over the coffee while he’s at it.

 

He’s a couple feet away when he hears a quick “thank you!” He keeps walking cause his face is still red with embarrassment. He hears a new melody being sung but it sounds muffled, like someone’s got a mouthful of bread.

 

When Youngjae arrives home, his mother is still asleep. No one appears to have noticed his absence. He settles himself in his room, his desk lamp washing everything in an orange color. He takes a bite of his bread. He accidentally bought chocolate. Damn.

 

 

 

Youngjae’s back at the convenience store, he tried going through the shortcut in the park without the singer noticing him and he was successful for the most part. The boy had his eyes closed as he sang a love song. Youngjae just has to worry about going back now.

 

This time he meticulously picks out his bread, reading the korean translated logos to the side of the aisle. He definitely picks out maple this time (or maybe it’s brown sugar). The cashier has his face against his palm, a line of drool trailing down his chin. His eyes are open, but Youngjae doubts he’s awake. He gently taps the worker’s shoulder and the guy jerks violently to life. He quickly wipes away his spit and stares at Youngjae as he tries to keep them open.

 

“Weren’t you here earlier?” The guy drawls, still a bit dazed.

 

Youngjae hums a response but it’s blocked by the pop music playing over the speakers. It doesn’t matter. The guy rings his purchase up and Youngjae’s out the the door in a minute with the sound of ‘Bubble Pop’ falling behind his steps.

 

The night’s freezing and Youngjae’s insides are even colder. He stuffs his hands into the deep pockets of his ratty sweatshirt, his bag hanging off of his thin wrist. The plastic hits his side with each step. It’s annoying but a necessary evil if he wants to get home without becoming a frozen icicle. A gust blows past his person and it’s like he can feel every individual goosebump on his body. Chills run through him and it’s the painful kind.

 

Youngjae nears the park and hears that familiar velvety voice that runs through notes with ease. Youngjae wonders if the guy ever goes home. It must be around two am now. Regardless, the homeward bound boy tries to pass without notice. He thinks he’s almost accomplished his stealthy task when the boy calls to him.

 

His swift footing falters and Youngjae finds himself toppling over on his feet. His wheat product kind of breaks his fall, though, at the cost of its shape.

 

 

 

The cashier eyes the two boys. He blinks the sleep away and this time he’s sure this is the same teen that was in there earlier. He scans the barcode of the cheap bread and watches the two of them leave.

 

Gangnam Style is playing.

 

 

 

They’re sitting on a park bench, Youngjae’s finally getting to eat his snack (it’s coffee flavored), and the guy (Jung Daehyun) is singing. Youngjae doesn’t know if it’s the song he likes or the voice singing it or maybe the boy. Nonetheless, it’s smooth and nice, especially the soft climbing of notes.

 

 

 

Daehyun’s a senior at Youngjae’s high school.

 

It’s a small world.

 

 

 

Daehyun pouts, sticking his fat lips out. Apparently he’s noticed Youngjae around and it’s not fair that someone as beautiful as himself could be so easily overlooked. He rambles on about Youngjae’s apparent blindness, to which Youngjae inserts the fact he wears contacts. Daehyun dismisses him. They talk for a long time.

 

 

 

Daehyun convinces Youngjae to sing. His voice is shaky at first and when he opens his mouth, cold air seeps in but its a wonderful pain. Their voices mesh well together and the rustling of the trees sound like tambourines. They have a wonderful fluctuating harmony.

 

 

 

Daehyun makes some stupid innuendo that hints at something far too much for strangers. And before Youngjae has time to reply, Daehyun saves himself by singing some song. He thinks it’s from Maroon Five. Daehyun has a nice falsetto, although his english pronunciation still needs work. Youngjae forgets about the joke and sings, too.

 

 

 

“Thanks for the coffee earlier.” Daehyun says during the middle of a chorus. “I mean, my voice was really sore then and I needed it. Thanks.” He tugs at the hem of his shirt and his other hand is rubbing the back of his neck.

 

Youngjae laughs and doesn’t offer much of a reply other than a smile.

 

 

 

“Do you think we would have ever talked to each other if you didn’t buy the wrong bread?”

 

Youngjae thinks for a moment and then shakes his head.

 

The corner of Daehyun’s lips lift up, “I’m glad you don’t like the chocolate flavored kind.”

 

 

 

Four am is awfully late for anyone to be in a park. However, Daehyun doesn’t want to go home and neither does Youngjae. So there’s really not much that they can do.

 

 

 

Daehyun gets a bit too comfortable with Youngjae’s presence, making several more innuendos and some blatant statements:

 

“Want some help to see how high your voice can really go?”

 

“Wanna warm up your throat in some other way?”

 

“You know what would be fun? Going behind those bushes over there.”

 

“We could keep each other warm.”

 

“Wanna slip your hands into somewhere other than your pockets? Promise it’ll be just as warm, if not more.”

 

“My voice isn’t the only things that’s big.”

 

“I can do a lot more with my mouth than just sing.”

 

“We should have .”  

 

 

 

The cashier is wide awake as he scans the box of condoms and bottle of lube.

 

 

 

Daehyun whines, es, and moans. “Why did we buy these if we’re not even gonna use them? Youngjae, why do you make me waste my money. Ahhhh...” he groans as they’re watching tv in Youngjae’s living room. Daehyun’s gotten way too comfortable way too fast with him, but then again so has Youngjae.

 

“I don’t believe in on the first date.” he replies as he lazily flips through channels.

 

“Oh,” Daehyun perks up, “we’re dating now?” the boy teases as he plays with Youngjae’s fingers. His face is dangerously close to his and his lips puckered up for no particular reason.

 

Youngjae slaps his hand away and pushes Daehyun back while he’s at it, his hand against his cheek. He clicks his tongue in disapproval, “Look at this boy. One night in the park and he already wants to be my boyfriend.”

 

“That’s cause we have great chemistry together. Wait, no. Even better! We have harmony!” His breath brushes against Youngjae’s fingers as he speaks. His lips purposely try to make contact with his skin.

 

Daehyun grabs Youngjae’s hand and places a kiss on his palm and then promptly a wet stripe up it, causing the boy to scowl in disgust.

 

“You taste salty. I wonder what the rest of you tastes li-” Daehyun gets a face full of cushion.

 

No one in the house seems to notice the quarreling couple.

 

 

 

“Hey, Daehyun, what are you doing here?” The cashier asks from his register.

 

“Youngjae’s hungry for bread again.” Daehyun shouts over the aisle as he places a couple of the packages into his basket. “I swear, Junhong, he’s dating me for the convenience!”

 

“Well, I wouldn’t blame him, seeing as all you ever do is talk and talk and talk.”

 

Daehyun rolls his eyes, “You just don’t know a good thing when you see it. Have you seen my face?” He rounds the corner and places his items on the checkout counter.

 

“Unfortunately, yes.”

 

“Whatever.” Daehyun huffs, “My existence is just simply wasted on you.”

 

Junhong shakes his blue little head, “Yeah, yeah. Take your stuff and go kiss your boyfriend or whatever.”

 

“I will.” Daehyun jumps happily, snatching away the goods. He’s out the door in a second.

 

 

 

It’s a lovely Sunday afternoon. There are two boys sitting on a park bench singing.