Talking To the Moon

Talking To the Moon

 

"I know you're somewhere out there, 

Somewhere far away,

I want you back..."

 

He held her tightly refusing to let her go, she cried in his arms not wanting to leave. They stood in each other's warm embrace for comfort and for strength.  Fighting against all odds and against everyone they loved only to be with each other forever.

 
He loved her; this she knew for she loved him too, yet she couldn't hold onto that love. The love that brought her happiness, joy and the best thing she could ever ask for: Him. But the fates didn't want her to keep what she wanted. No, they set a different fate for her. A fate no one would ever want to wish upon her.
 

"I want you back."

 

He shouted and fought against them with everything he had, but their walls and their barricades prevented her from hearing him. His heart breaking echoing louder than his shouts and pleads, yet she couldn't hear him. 

And she never will, for her own heart was shattering as she took another step further from him. Each passing stride heavier than the last with a piece of her heart being left behind along with it, in far hopes of him being able to follow them and find her once again.

But the path she was walking to is a path he couldn't follow. 

 

"My neighbors think I'm crazy, 

But they don't understand,

You're all I had..."

 

He cursed and cursed. Nothing filled the open gap in his chest that was filled to the brim by her and her alone.

She was his sunrise, she was his sunset and she was his everything. But every passing moment seemed very much like the last:

all alone and missing her. 

 

"You're all I had."

 

His life dragged on and on, it was a broken record playing over and over again; never-ending. For until he could be with her again it will go on. 

He regretted not fighting hard enough. He regretted not holding onto her longer. He regretted a lot of things. But the truth is, he is only missing her. He missed the feeling of living, he missed the feeling of being joyful and happy. He missed everything she had brought to his life that's why he regrets.

 

"At night when the stars light up my room,

I sit by myself, 

Talking to the Moon,"

 

He looks up at the sky with wide eyes, admiring how peaceful the stars float in the dark smooth canvas of the atmosphere; wishing he could feel as free as them too. Swimming above the hell-like reality they both once lived in, watching people from above and never bothered about anything at all. 

His eyes swept the large expanse of the dark night sky until they reached the magnificently glowing orb in the distance. It lit up the sky 10 times better than any star, it was prettier than any priceless piece of art and it soothed him better than any medication he was given. He reached out to nothing in an attempt to hold in his hand the heavenly object but to no avail.

 

"Trying to get to You.

In hopes you're on the other side 

Talking to me too,"

 

He smiled.

Every night he would look up and speak to her like this. Tell her stories he wouldn't say to anyone else, express to her his problems he never mentioned before and worries that he never dared to reveal. He felt safer talking to her than anyone.

Sometimes, he could feel her answering back. A small gush of wind or a stray scent of perfume would reach him. That alone was enough to convince him that she was still there, that she will always be listening. She will always be there.

 

"Or Am I a fool?

Who sits alone,

Talking to the moon?"

 

Like any other night he looked up at her and spoke, but today unlike before, he questioned.

"Where are you now?"

He knew she wouldn't answer to such a question; everyone knew where she was. In a better place as they called it. But if it was better why couldn't she take him with her? Why couldn't he be with her in a place where they claim that she would be happier in?

"Can't I be with you?"

He stared up at the sky, waiting for something, but nothing came. He dejectedly bowed his head down, tears slowly forming in the rims of his eyes for he was tired of waiting for answers.

His eyes wandered and set on a lone flower, knowing fully well how it feels; as an act of sympathy he plucked it from its hard dusty wake, lifting it high enough for him to see clearly. But before he could memorize every shape and size of the petals,, his eyes formed small crescents and the corner of his lips turned up as he looked beyond the flower.

....

 

That night the moon shined brighter than ever, the flowers bloomed in pairs all around and two star-crossed lovers reunited once again.