The Finale

The Sensitive Art

 

                                                                                                                                                             The Finale~

 

“So, is this the record you are asking me to look into, Doctor” Krystal asked out of rather intriguing curiosity while checking out the ruffled front page of the dark book which read only one thing…the name “Kim Myungsoo”.

“Yes, but the thing is that you can say it’s more of a dairy than a record.”

“Hm?” Krystal looked puzzled with a frown as her eyes checked out the person in front of her.

“Because it’s written by the patient himself.”

“Aahh!” Krystal gaped open while shaking her head in agreement as if she completely grasped the situation.

“So you made him write this in order to keep a tab on his psychological state, huh…Wait a minute, or is this the only way…”

“Yes, looks like you got the point there, it’s the only way. So, it seems as if you learned about SID”

“SID, Sensory Impairment Disorder. It happens due to the damage taken by nerve during some accident or shock which ultimately leads to disruptance in the data carrier shock waves. So, is it related to hearing and speaking?”

“hmmm….Yes. Though at the moment he’s only mute and his hearing ability is still intact we do think that he is highly vulnerable to any other shock. That’s the reason we are currently depending on him writing this dairy. The fact that he can’t speak and can’t express what he needs makes him more special and require more care. So as far as you are concerned, you are not allowed to handle the patient until you completely analyse it. And remember the main point, do not reveal or share the information in it. It’s our job to protect the patient’s privacy as well. Hmm..Well, that’s it for now, you can leave and when I see you back on Monday, I expect you to be thoroughly prepared.”

Krystal took the opportunity as she hurriedly packed the dairy into her bag. Then she took leave from the person in front of her and left the room closing the door a bit fiercely which made the board which read Dr.Woohyun tremble a little.

The fierce rain dripping down made her choose a cab instead of bus as she was sure that she would be drenched in rain before she even reaches the bus stop. As soon as she reached her house her first destination happened to be her bed as her body ached from all the running around in the hospital. Being a medical intern was always going to be a laboured and breath taking one, but it was somehow proving nightmarish to Krystal so far. For all the effort throughout the day she felt sleep was more preferable than reading a dairy and a decision was made…Sleep.

                                                          <>

Sunday-The only day Krystal gets a day off during her reign as a medical intern. But, this Sunday the words “day off” are only confined to words as she still has to learn about something or someone.

She jumped onto bed leaning against the wall, finally decided to open the black binded dairy. But she clearly understood that she was on no common ride as she read through the first few lines.

12th October 2011

I was still naïve when I first saw her as she shifted into our neighbour’s house,

I was still rude when I first greeted her as she politely bowed her head,

I was still cold when I first felt her as she warmly congratulated me for a football win,

I was still frail when I first cursed her as she consoled me on my father’s death,

But here I am, feeling weakest of all times when I first heard that she broke our marriage as she heard about my accident and its effects.

                                                                 I still can’t believe it, Suzy.

 

30th October 2011

Some People can really be obnoxious at times.    

All I asked was to see Suzy for once and they said Suzy flew far away.    

All I asked was to talk to Suzy for once and they went as far as “Suzy died”.

Some People can really be obnoxious at times.

                                                             I am waiting for you, Suzy.

 

1st November 2011

You are just fooled if one person lies to you.

But you are really a helpless doll when every person lies to you.  

Are they thinking that I am helpless because I am mute?    

Or are they thinking that I am helpless as I am fixated in this hospital?  

But all in all, even if I am a helpless doll I still have one thing intact…my eyesight.    

So, I decided to believe in my eyesight rather than being a helpless doll.

                                                             I can see you, Suzy.

 

1st December 2011

I felt like drowning when you don’t come to see me.        

I felt like flying when you are here blabbering all your events to me.

Even though you are present right in front my eyes.        

Some still try to lie to me.

But I am just happy that you are here for me.

                                                             I can feel you, Suzy.

25th December 2011

I still clearly remember our first Christmas which finally led us here.  

I still clearly remember how my pathetic me destroyed your castle out of jealousy.

I still clearly remember how the angelic you still helped me with my snowman.      

I still clearly remember how we became real friends at that time.

I still clearly remember our first promise, to build snowmen and castles together for long long time.

But today, here I am making them myself as you rejected my notions of making them together.

Looks like something is bothering you and that too because of me. All I can say is

                                                             I am sorry, Suzy.

 

1st January 2012

The memory when you threatened me for my underage drinking.      

The memory when you cussed me for secretly eating the cake before the celebration.

The memory when you stomped on my foot when I was checking out your friend.  

All these beautiful little memories are shrouding my mind.  

But here you are, leaving me alone on this New Year day.

                                                          I am waiting for you, Suzy.

 

14th March 2012

It’s been a day since my birthday, here I am with my lungs forgetting how to breathe.   

It’s been a month since Valentine’s Day, here I am with my heart tugging my chest.  

It’s been 75 days since the start of New Year, here I am with my mind and body going numb.

All these days there is only one thing I am doing, waiting for you.

                                                          I am missing you, Suzy.

                                                                     

13th March 2013

Here I am just opening my eyes, I am happy to hear you

Here I am just turning my head, I am happy to see you.

Here I am just waking up, I am happy that this room is filled with your warmth.  

All in all thanks for coming back and being here for me.

                                                         I Love You, SUZY.

                                                              <>

The sturdiness in Krystal’s steps completely contrasts the weariness in her mind. It’s would be a  complete bluff if she says that she completely got hold of the story as she feels that the story itself is incomplete. Yet, no matter what she is adamantly confident that she has to hear some vulnerable profanities early in the morning.

Her watch showed that its eight twenty five in the morning which allowed her to heave a heavy sigh for the fact that she is at least not late today. She slowly knocked the door and went inside as soon as she got the permission.

The atmosphere inside the room felt heavy as Woohyun didn’t raise his head until his paper work was completed. He finally looked at Krystal after sorting everything on his table with a look that didn’t bore any emotions.

“So…How did it go?”

“Hmm….I kind of can’t understand if the story is complete or not. There are too many doubts to be honest.”

“Like?” Woohyun questioned with a frown on his forehead.

“Like….hmmmm…Why didn’t she visit him right after the accident? Are there some problems at home? Are her parents against the marriage when they found that he became mute?                                                                                                                                                              And what exactly happened in the gap between 2011 and 2012? How did they end being together again?                                                       All these things are just too unclear and blurry for me to exactly know what is going on in the patient’s mind” Krystal kind of blurted out as if she was venting all her emotion out.

“Why didn’t she visit him right after accident?....Hmmm, that’s a ridiculous question actually. How can a dead person visit a person in the hospital?” Woohyun leaned forward to his desk while saying all those words calmly and collectively.

 “Hmm..?” Krystal was completely embarked with vicious confusion.

“She’s dead” Woohyun slowly said while lowering his head and rubbing his temple.

“She died when she saved Myungsoo by pushing him away from the car.But the incident came as a shock to him due to which he erased all of the memories related to the accident. The SID he is currently suffering from is from that shock.”

“So you mean, all this while Myungsoo is ..”

“Hallucinating” Woohyun completed her sentence.

“Though, I actually think hallucinating is such a strong and a harsh word to use for Myungsoo. I would say he dreamt of Suzy rather than hallucinated her image. Because all he did was to break the barriers of reality and continued on his adventure of love. Some actually called him retard when he made notions in the air with no one around. Some actually wanted to admit him in mental rehabilitation centre when they observed his actions. But just loving someone makes you a retard means, then I have no words to describe such visious rock hearted people. To be frank he actually mastered the most sensitive and hardest art, LOVE and I respect him for that.”

“And if you ask about how exactly he gets all this hallucinations, we still have no answer for that. May be it's just like dreaming, where you don't know how those actions takes place. But the only thing we know is his mental stability actually depends on those day dreams.”

“And as far your second question is concerned, he was actually in vegetative state during that one year due to a nerve impairment.”  Woohyun explained.

All this talk came as a surprise and mind boggling for Krystal as she never expected Myungsoo's story to be so heart breaking.

But the talk also thaught her something else, that the person infront of her who always shows off his petrified image was actually quite lonely inside contrary to the outside and all he is unknowingly searching for:

                                                The Sensitive Art, LOVE.