Chapter 1: The First Everything

The Stand

 

 
"So you are from Seoul?"  I ask the handsome man before me.  
 
"Yeah, I am a dancer with SM Entertainment."    
 
"That's awesome!"  We are practically yelling at each other due to the music volume in the club.  "Why are you in Macao?"
 
"I tour with one of the major solo artist named BoA.  We are staying at this hotel."
 
"Nice!  You want another drink?"
 
"Sure.  Chocolate milk, this time."  He winks at me.  Adorable.  
 
 
It's not something I do, I've never done this before in fact.   My family owns this hotel and being bored that night I decided to walk to the club and I bumped into this guy.  Have you experienced love at first sight?  I think that's what we felt for each other that night.  We weren't drinking at all so ending up in his bed cannot be blamed by alcohol.  I was a before meeting him.  And I am pretty sure he was too considering the awkwardness of the first time we made love on the hotel bed.  It started in the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom and ended in the jacuzzi tub out in the balcony in the back drop of the tropical Macao night breeze.  The first time was awkward, the second time was heaven.  Of course I can't compare it to anything else except the first time with him that night.  
 
I woke up in his arms with his broad chest next to my .  He places kisses all over my neck and shoulders and his hands splay everywhere especially over my s and between my legs.  He got confident as the early morning progressed and his hands and tongue did most of the talking.  I fall asleep again in his arms after round three at 5 in the morning.  When I woke up though, he was gone.  There was no trace of him except for crumpled sheets on his side of the bed.  He just disappeared.  No number, no note, no goodbye kiss.  One night stand.  .  I can't believe I felt for it.
 
I honestly thought it was love.  I wouldn't have continued if deep in my heart I didn't feel it.  We talked all evening and it seemed like we were friends for life.  Lesson learned to say the least.  Don't trust a handsome face, especially one with kind eyes and a pleasant smile.  This one night stand broke me.  I had one name, Choi Minho.  He works for SM Entertainment and he's from Seoul, South Korea.  He's a bastard to say the least, even though he made me feel like I was completely in love for the first time in my life, but after the night and morning I spent with him I would never allow myself to fall in love again.  Choi Minho, my first and my last.
 
 
~4 years later in London~
 
"Happy birthday Baekhyunnie!"
 
"Yay!  Can I eat the cake now, mummy?"
 
"Of course you can."  It's my son's fourth birthday.  My family is smiling brightly at how much Baekhyun has grown.  They all tell me how he's such a handsome and polite child.  
 
"I'm telling you, Evey, you need to find Baekhyun's dad and ask for child support."
 
"Why Tiffany?  My parents are very well off financially, I don't need his money."
 
"Don't you want to shove Baek in his face, show him that he's got a child?"
 
"What for?  For breaking my heart?  A revenge tactic?  I am not going to put my son in that kind of drama."
 
"I know.  I just hate the fact that he played you."  Tiffany always brings up Minho during Baekhyun's birthdays and around holidays.  Times when families are together celebrating.  
 
"But look at what he left me?  My sweet, beautiful boy.  A piano prodigy at that."
 
"Your mom and dad said they are moving back to Seoul, are you going with them?"
 
"They sold their hotel in Macao, and London is great, but my mom misses her parents.  We can start a new life there just in time for Baekhyun to attend pre-school."
 
"Didn't you say that Minho guy lived in Seoul?  Aren't you a little curious?"
 
"Don't you have packing to do?  You are also moving to Seoul to attend university."  I am curious, but Seoul is a city like London, you can be walking along the streets and not realize that a person you know from grade school is walking past you hurrying to get to wherever they need to be.
 
"Yeah I do.  Tell you what though, I wish I could have seen his face.  Looking at how handsome Baekhyun is I can only imagine how good looking his dad is."  I shove Tiffany at her bipolar thoughts.  First she wants revenge on Minho now she is imagining his good looks.  Damn it, thoughts of him fill my head.  Everything about him was handsome.
 
~8 months later in Seoul~
 
"Mom, why did you and dad decide to invest in the Cafe' rather than continue to build and run hotels?"
 
"We don't have to worry about the large staff.  Besides, when dad and I retire, we will sell our real estate and you can narrow the cafe' to one or two so it becomes much easier for you and Baekhyun to manage."  My parents have been very supportive of me ever since they heard the news about my pregnancy.  At 20, I was going to attend university and study business management in order to run the hotels.  That was put on hold when Baekhyun was born.  They knew having him changed me.  And they tried to set me up with potential marriage partners but no one wants to deal with a single mom with a toddler.  I have given up the idea of love anyways.  I have Baekhyun, he's all I need.  
 
I still have dreams about Minho.  Wondering what he's up to, wondering if he became a singer or actor like he wanted.  Wondering if he remembers me.  It's a pathetic state I am in, still thinking about my child's father, the one man I gave my heart and body to, and the one man who broke it into a million pieces.  
 
 
"Listen to this song!" Tiffany shows me on her IPhone a music video.  
 
"That's great Tiff."  I push it out of the way as I prepare Baekhyun's lunch.  
 
"The group is called SHINee, the song is called Dream Girl.  KPop is my new obsession."
 
"Mine is the show Running Man."  We both laugh and say stress at the same time.
 
"So this is nice.  Your parents have us set up in this luxury apartment building and they are next door right?"
 
"The floor above us.  But yeah, it's great."
 
"Any marriage potentials?"
 
"Nope, I think they realize I am not into it."
 
"Looking at these idols remind me of the manga we read, beautiful and unreal men."  Tiffany's mind is sporadic at times.  
 
"Lunch is ready. I am going upstairs to get Baekhyun from my parents."
 
 
I exit my large apartment and wait for the elevator to open.  I enter it and press the 10th floor.  I arrive at my parents and gather Baek's things.  We say our goodbyes and head back down.  
 
"Did you have a good day with grandma and grandpa?"
 
"Yup!"  I carry Baek in my arms and give him a kiss.  When we enter the elevator, I see 6 men arguing about pressing the wrong button.  They bow to me and we enter the elevator.  I press the 9th floor and one man makes like he is about to as well but realizes I pressed it already.  The door opens and we trickle out.  The men are following us and they are conversing nonchalantly.  
 
"Hello."  Says a kind looking one with a sweet smile and soft eyes.  "You are our new neighbors?"
 
"Oh, yes.  We just moved here from London."
 
"London!?"  A vibrant looking boy with blonde hair asks excitedly.  
 
"Is this your brother?"  The soft spoken one asks.
 
"Ani, my son, Baekhyun.  Say hi."
 
"Annyeonghaseyo."  Baekhyun bows politely from my arms.
 
"Oh, he's so cute!"
 
"Taemin, Bummie, time for lunch."  A voice behind him says, before I can see the owner of the voice the door closes.  
 
"Oh, that was Minho-hyung."  Minho?  It's a popular Korean name, not the same Minho.  "My name is Taemin, this is Kibum.  And there is also Jinki and Jonghyun and our manager-"
 
"Manager?"  I interrupt him.
 
"We are SHINee."
 
"You are what?"
 
"Who, you mean?  We are the group, SHINee."
 
"Ah, an idol group, KPop!  Sorry, I just moved here.  My roommate she likes KPop.  And a song called Dream Girl."
 
"That's our song!"
 
"Jjinja?"  We start laughing.  Key, or Kibum, is playing with Baekhyunnie on his iPad mini the piano app.  
 
"Man this kid is good," he says.  Their door swings open and a taller boy comes out.
 
"Ya!  Aren't you two going to eat?"  I take a step back and bump into the wall.  
 
"Kenchana?" 
 
"Kenchanayo."  I pick up Baekhyun and unlock our door.  "It was nice meeting you guys," I say with my back turned.
 
"Wait, this is Minho-hyung…"  I slam the door right away.  Fate has a mean sense of humor.  My neighbor is Baekhyun's biological father, and my first, well, first everything.  
 
"Omma, I want chocolate milk."  Of course you do.