Tao

Overcoming Difficulties

Walking into the hallways, I take a look around the huge place. My first day at Exotic High, the most exquisite high school that only rich people attend. Me? Scholarship.

I searched for my locker, which is pretty hard because all I can pay attention to is how everyone is wearing designer clothings, while I'm still in my hoodie and jeans. A bit embarrassed, I lift the lid of my hoodie, and just my luck, I bumped into someone.

"Hey!" the guy said. "Watch where you're—" he stopped.

We looked at each other, and I realized that he was a hot guy, blonde hair and pretty face, wearing possibly a Gucci shirt. His eyes widened when we locked eyes.

"...I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to—" he stuttered, bending down awkwardly to pick up his books. I bent down to help him, and I could feel his eyes on me. After we gathered all his book we stood up, facing each other.

"Hi, I'm Tao." I said, holding out my hand. He looked at the hand as if it was a virus. Then he shook it.

"Kris..." he replied, taking his hand back as soon as I let go. Weird kid.

"Well, it was nice to meet you." I said, smiling at him to make the moment less awkward. He looked away, blushing. 

Wait, blushing??

"Back at 'cha." he said, then hurried away. I looked at him as he ran down the hall as if running for his life. Well, that went well.

...

I went into the homeroom, and told the teacher I was new here. He asked me if I needed to introduce myself. Of course,I said no. He told me to sit beside the window, behind a cheerleader.

"Hi! I'm Jessica! You must be new here!" the cheerleader said. She grinned widely at me, and I was a bit flattered that a cheerleader flirted with me on the first day.

"Yeah, I'm Tao." I smiled back at her, and she started to tell me about what kind of person everyone is.

"There's Lee Donghae, he's the quarterback, and my boyfriend ;  Huang Tiffany, my BFF ; Siwon Choi, the drama king ;....." rattled Jessica on and on. I listened with great patience, satisfied by the fact that I didn't encounter a snobby cheerleader, but quiet a nice(talkative)one. When class ended, Jessica even offered to show me around. He liked Jessica, and I felt that we could actually be good friends, and—

"Step away from the girl, dude." said  a voice. I turned around to see who it was.

"Donghae..." said Jessica. Oh, so he was Donghae. He glared at me and grabbed Jessica's hand. 

"What do you think you're doing, Jess?" demande Donghae. "Flirting with another guy while I'm not around?" 

Jessica heaved a sigh. "Donghae, I was just being nice." then she smirked. "You are so cute when you're jealous."

Donghae looked on the verge of punching someone, and I figured it was time for me leave. "Well, thanks, Jessica, but I'll figure out the rest on my own." I said. She pouted a bit but wished me luck.

...

The rest of the day went pretty well. I sat with a couple of guys I met in PE(Luhan, Sehun, Baekhyun, Chanyeol) during lunch. I got to know them pretty well: Luhan and Sehun were a couple, like the cutest couple I have ever met, and Luhan's mother is a famous anchorwoman, Sehun comes from a family of doctors; Baekhyun and Chanyeol seem to be crushing on each other, but I don't know for sure, Baekhyun's dad is a manager at a big corp., while Chanyeol is a scholarship student, like me.

We were talking for a while, and a question popped inside my mind.

"Hey, guys, do you know any Kris around here?" I asked. The guys looked at me with a strange look.

"Why do you ask?" said Luhan, looking rather nervous.

"Just asking." I shrugged. They looked at each other and nodded.

"The only Kris around here is Kris Wu." said Chanyeol. I gestured for them to go on.

"And his father owns the school." said Baekhyun.

"And we heard he's quite....violent." whispered Sehun.

"He beats up whoever gets in his way." said Luhan.

"And the worst part is...." said Chanyeol.

"The person who gets beat up can't do a thing about it." said Baekhyun.

"Because Kris's father will use his money to...deal with it." said Sehun. I don't get why they're making poor little Sehun to say all the harsh words.

"So that's about it. We barely talk about him because it's kind of dangerous..." said Luhan, shivering a bit, and comforting little Sehun who looks like he's about to cry.

"Why do you ask anyway, Tao?" asked Baekhyun.

"I...kinda got in his way this morning." I muttered. I feel four pairs of eyes staring at me in shock.

"What the hell did you do?" gasped Chanyeol. Sehun cried.

"I...kinda bumped into him..." I said under my breath, staring at my lap. I could hear Baekhyun click his tongue, Luhan's uneven breathing, Chanyeol's gulp, and Sehun's sobs.

"Did he beat you?" whispered Luhan. I shook my head.

"He actually looked...nervous. I thought he was autistic." I whispered. I don't know why we're whispering. 

"You are in deep, deep trouble Tao." said Baekhyun.

"Don't worry, Tao-ie, we can protect you." said Sehun. Poor little Sehun, I wonder if he really is 16, because he is so much like a baby. I feel encouraged that he said so, becuase if Kris is violent, then as Baekhyun said, I'm doomed.

...