You Remembered My Name

Stories About You

I still remember how cute you looked the first day of middle school. You had just moved to the area and had no friends. I watched you awkwardly walk around the court yard at lunch.
“Jongin! What are you staring at?” my best friend Taemin threw a piece of an orange at my head.
“Yah! Nothing” I said, throwing it back at him, laughing.
I tried to smoothly glace at you whenever Taemin wasn’t looking but he always caught me. By the end of lunch he had figured out what had my grasped my attention so tightly. He never did stop teasing me over that. After lunch I walked with Taemin to our English class. I stopped in the doorway, my mouth falling open just slightly when I spotted you sitting in the front of the class. Taemin noticed and laughed, calling me over to where he was sitting. I took a seat, my eyes barely leaving you the entire class. As the year went on I tried to talk to you on many occasions but you were extremely shy. Half way through the semester, the teacher assigned us a project. Much to Taemin’s dismay, I was paired with you.
“Hi Yuri” I said, walking over.
“Oh...hello Jongin” you looked up at me and smiled a little.
I was so shocked you knew my name. It made me smile. We spent weeks on the project, getting fairly close. We got an ‘A’. Right after that you moved away for the remainder of middle school. I missed you a lot. I had gotten used to eating lunch with you, I had even started sitting with you in English--Taemin was fine, he had other friends in that class--
------------------------
I moved the summer before I started high school. When I walked into my first period I froze in the doorway, the kid behind me grumbling as he walked into me. It was you. Sitting in the front row. You looked so pretty. Your hair--previously short and black-- had gotten longer and was dyed strawberry blonde. Of course you had gotten taller as well. I walked right up to you and tapped your shoulder lightly. Turning your attention from your friend you looked at me, your eyes getting bigger.
“Jongin?!”
I grinned. “you remembered my name”
“Of course!” you smiled
We became best friends after that.
------------------------
 Junior year I decided I wanted to be a dancer and changed my name to Kai. You were the only one who remembered to call me that. You stayed up late with me every weekend, helping me perfect dance moves. You joined me to every audition and clapped and screamed loudly when I won the school talent show.
-----------------------
I asked you to prom senior year. You said yes without hesitation. My job didn’t pay much so I had to pick you up in my shabby car. You said you didn’t mind but I wished I could have gotten a limo just to make you feel special. When you opened your front door my mouth dropped. You stood there smirking as I took in your long light blue dress. Your golden brown hair flowing down your shoulders perfectly. You looked beautiful. I took you hand, mine shaking a bit, and walked you to the car, opening the door for you. We headed straight for the dance floor when we got to the prom since you were so excited to show me the moves you had been working on. During a slow song I held you close to me, your head resting on my shoulder. We stayed like that despite the fast songs that followed, slowly rocking back and forth, forgetting where we were. When there were just a few couples left on the dance floor, we headed out. We went to a park and just talked. Without realizing we had been holding hands. Noticing this, I leaned in and kissed you, breaking the story you were telling. We started dating after that.
----------------------
When we graduated we moved in together. A year later I proposed. We’ve been married for 22 years. Now here I am, sitting with you. I know I haven’t visited as much lately. I’m sorry dear. You probably don’t want to hear these old stories anymore. I bet you’re tired of the purple flowers I bring you every time I visit but they were your favorite and the owner removes them every Sunday. Sometimes I wish you could tell a story or two but I don’t mind you just listening, you always liked hearing me tell you stories. I miss you a lot. I often wonder what it would be like if we would have had a child. You always wished for a little girl. She would have loved hearing stories about you.