`〈 ✧ why are you in my house? 〉

Elderly Appreciation

“Hey Minseok, I like your sweatshirt. It looks nice.”

Minseok nodded, not even lifting his head from the notebook he was busily scribbling notes in. He had an AP Calculus test to take the next day and he was not planning on getting any marks lower than an A. Of course, he knew that his professor hated him to the bone and that he was going to get points taken off just because.

“You wouldn’t happen to know what size that shirt is, do you?”

What the actual…? Annoyed, Minseok put his pen down to attend to the irritating boy who was oblivious to the fact that he was doing homework. He ruffled his own hair as he spun his chair to face the unwanted company, “What do you mean, ‘you wouldn’t happen to know’? Of course I know my shirt size! You of all people should know my shirt size since your nose is always in my dresser!"

Expecting to see his over-attached apartment mate, Luhan, Minseok was taken back when he saw the heavily darkened eyes of Baekhyun. He had to admit, this whole, ‘guyliner’ business Baekhyun had been sporting since he started freshman year of high school creeped Minseok out especially since Baekhyun overdid it. They stared at each other for a while, none of them doing anything to break the awkward air lingering in the room. Minseok wasn’t sure how Baekhyun could keep smiling given the circumstances they were in right now; two guys, alone in the room, in an empty apartment. Immediately, he disregarded any inappropriate thoughts forming in in his head. That was Luhan’s job.

“Is there something wrong?” Baekhyun asked, seeing the uneasy look plastered on Minseok’s face that he was actually putting effort in to hide. Minseok thought that Baekhyun resembled one of those labradoodles that he always wanted to have as a child; petite with a heap of curly hair atop its head.

Shaking his head no, Minseok stood up from his office chair to the bright red bean bag in front of his mini-television. He figured that he might as well make himself feel more comfortable if Baekhyun was going to take a while; which, as Minseok has heard, Baekhyun likes to take his time. Baekhyun and him never really talked, especially since Baekhyun was in the grade below him. Most of all, Minseok hasn’t seen him since he graduated senior year last year. He reached over to turn the TV on so they could at least have something in the back playing while they talked, “Nope, nothing’s wrong. I just thought you were someone else.”

“Oh sorry about that.” Baekhyun apologized, bottom lip pushing out in a slight pout, “I hope I didn’t bother you.”

Sighing, Minseok leaned further back into the bean bag, feeling the indirect effects of Baekhyun’s pout hitting him in the feels, “No, you didn’t bother me. I actually finished taking my notes just before you came. Also, if you don’t mind my asking, how did you even get inside my house?”

“I’d rather we not talk about that.”

Is he for real? Minseok grew uneasy at the thought of having a potential burglar in his house. Maybe he should have gotten the locks changed like Luhan suggested the first time they rented out the place. That, or Baekhyun was able to figure out that the spare key was hidden underneath the stair railing leading towards their apartment. He crossed his arms over his chest, “So remind me, what are you doing here again?

“Chanyeol’s in Busan today because he of the basketball championship game and Kyungsoo went with him so there’s like, no one at our dorm.” Baekhyun explained.

“Why didn’t you go with them?”

“I might have forgotten.”

“Oh,” Minseok stared at him, still slightly confused as to why Baekhyun went to him, “What about Jongin or maybe even Sehun?”

“Jongin’s got himself a new girlfriend and Sehun…well, he’s no fun.” Baekhyun complained, “Besides, I’ve already told you before, I don’t like hanging out with people younger than me.”

Right, how could I forget.

Jongin was their high school’s biggest stud; every week he had a new girl on his arm knowing that they would be dumped in less than a week. Minseok guessed they did it for bragging rights but he doesn’t understand if that was something to be bragging about, being dumped. He never really talked to Sehun but if there was something Minseok remembered about him when he was still in high school, it was that his face never changed. Ever. That was probably why he earned the reputation of having a .jpg face.

He tried to remember if Baekhyun had ever told him that he didn’t like hanging out with younger people before but he decided that it was better not to ask. He continued on his journey of worming out of the situation, “Joonmyeon then?”

“No, I don’t hang out with old people.”

Minseok was pushed further into the state of confusion because, wasn’t he older than Joonmyeon? Maybe Baekhyun didn’t realize this. He couldn’t really blame Baekhyun either because Minseok looks ten years younger than he actually was. Baekhyun must have noticed  Minseok’s eyebrow raised because he then followed with, “Oh, don’t worry, I know you’re the eldest in our group of friends.”

Creepy. The elder then cleared his throat, “So what makes me so special that you’d want to hang out with me?”

“I actually wasn’t considering you.”

Ouch.

“I came here looking for Luhan.”

Roundhouse kick to the face.

“But then I figured that since we’ve never really talked before, it would be a good opportunity to get to know each other more.” Baekhyun chirped as he made himself comfy on Minseok’s carpeted floor, “You know, because our friends hang out a lot.”

Baekhyun was right about their friends getting together quite often, despite the from him to Sehun, but he was never present for those ‘Bro Days’ anyway so why did it even matter? It’s not like Minseok ever saved Baekhyun’s life or made some sort of lasting impact. At least, no heroic actions that he was aware of. He wasn’t sure if Baekhyun was up to something but he didn’t like where this was going, “So what you’re saying is, you want to spend the rest of the day with me, correct?”

“Exactly.”