one-shot

Never trust... (April Fools) Sequel to "A day for the hunter, a day for the prey"

 

 


She had to keep her eyes open… Yongguk would probably try to prank her. She couldn’t believe a word he said.

He had to be aware of her every move… Jieun would probably try to prank him. He had to keep his eyes open.

 

They sat by the kitchen table, having breakfast.
Each one had prepared its own.
“She’ll put laxative in my coffee…” – Yonggul had thought
“He’ll put rocks in my cereals…” – Jieun had thought.

They we so suspicious…

 

“We’re playing today…” – Yongguk spoke first.

Playing? What was he talking about? Was it a hint?
Jieun was suspicious…
“What are we playing?”- she asked.
Their eyes never leaving each other’s.

“Bowling” – he answered.

Was he planning anything on the bowling?
Suspicious…

They took her car.
Yongguk didn’t have one.

They drove in absolute silence.

Yongguk was tense, Jieun could say… he hadn’t tried anything yet, but she couldn’t let her guard down. He was Yongguk after all, and they were even!
He could try anything, anytime… Yongguk hated losing.

Jieun was so calm… she was definitely planning something! She was Song Jieun, and Song Jieun hates losing!

They parked the car, and entered the shopping mall, heading straight to the bowling.
Both silent.

 

Jieun broke it first.
“Yongguk…” – she said. Her voice was low, tranquil.

Yongguk alert mode on! It’s a trap!
“Yes…” – he replied, as suspicious as ever.

“What about a truce?’ – she suggested.

No, Yongguk! Watch out!
“Is it a prank? – he stopped, suspicious.

“Do you think I’d say it if it was?”- Jieun replied –“And don’t you agree that it would be stupid to mention it?”

Yongguk didn’t have to say anything.
The way he looked at Jieun said it all. She had a point.


“Last time we played, remember, we won!” – Jieun spoke and Yongguk nodded - “But we only won because I slapped your ! ”

Yongguk laughed.
“C’mon! Are you superstitious now?”

“I’m serious!” – Jieun insisted. Her tone was really serious – “Every time I slapped your you got a strike, and the two times I didn’t you didn’t put a single pin down!”

 

Come to think about it…
But no, she’s a prankster!
“It’s a prank…” – Yongguk laughed, and left.
Jieun on his tail.

“You have to listen to me!” – she insisted.

“You think I’ll buy it, sweetie?” – Yongguk laughed.

They had now reached the bowling.
Yongguk, Jieun and Sunhwa, Jieun’s girlfriend, formed a team.

 

“Are you ready, losers?” – Himchan, Yongguk’s friend, the leader of the other team, greeted friendly.

“Last time we won!” – Yongguk laughed friendly.

Friendly... As if!
It wasn’t just a game… it was their pride as human beings, a superior species, capable of bowling!

 

Let the games begin.

 

Yongguk had started well.

Not really.

His first attempt had been a fail. Two pines.
Jieun and Sunhwa were okay. They didn’t get any strike, but had hit enough pines not to be that humiliated.

Himchan’s team was killing it!

They played, played… and Yongguk wouldn’t put a pine down! Not a single one, not even a single one!

Jieun and Sunhwa could only balance the game, but with Yongguk missing all pines every round, they would lose!
They needed a strike.

 

Sunhwa had, in a desparate move, blown Himchan’s best player a kiss, to make him lose focus… It worked. He missed his last shot!

There was still hope…
But it was Yongguk’s turn. They were doomed to become the lowest scum of bowling.

 

Jieun and Sunhwa chatted by their table. They were too talkative for people who had lost their bowling diginity!

Yongguk interrupted.
“Jieun…” – he mumbled.

She looked at him.
What was wrong? He looked so down…

“Can you…” – he said, shaking his head to the right.

“What?” – she asked, puzzled.

Yongguk didn’t reply.
Jieun smiled. She knew what was going on.
“C’mon, sweetie, say it” – she encouraged, winking.

Yongguk his lips.
He had no choice.

Himchan and his team watched.
Were those losers planning a secret strategy? That couldn’t be. Yongguk was the last one, then the match would be over... losers are loser, the end.


“Jieun…” – they heard Yongguk say – “…slap my ” – he spoke confidently.

They all laughed.
Bang Yongguk wanted to have his slapped!
“Can you hurry?” – Himchan laughed.


“Can you? Please...” – Yongguk rushed.

Jieun stood from her seat, walked close to him, and placed a gentle slap on his .
“Good luck” – she held her laughter.

Himchan’s team still laughed out loud.
“Loser!” – they shouted.

But nothing would take Yongguk’s focus away.
Jieun had slapped his ! He would hit all pines, get a strike and reestablish himself as the Bowling King!

One, two…

 

 

Strike!

 

Yongguk smiled brightly. Looked at Jieun, on her seat, and blew her a kiss.
She smiled.

 

“They go crazy when you play with their minds!”