That Sweet Brat

That Sweet Brat

 

Eunsil-noona, can you come here? I kinda need your help.” Daeyeol texted his brother’s bestfriend. It was already 11 o’clock in the evening, but he knew she could lend her hand.

Why? What did Sungyeol do this time?” Eunsil quickly replied, knowing Daeyeol’s problem was her 22 year old bestfriend.

He keeps on saying he wouldn’t come out of his room. He’s been there since yesterday. He hasn’t eaten anything, plus there’s somewhere we need to go tonight.” He explained. He knew she can easily change her brother’s mind.

Alright, I’m coming.”  Eunsil lived just four units away from Sungyeol’s, so she came right away.

She opened the door as soon as she arrived, not even bothering to knock. She saw Sungyeol’s mother who seems to be extremely worried.

“Sungyeol-ah, come out there. Eat something, please.” Sungyeol’s mother said.

“I don’t want to!” shouted Sungyeol through his door, “whatever you do, you’re never gonna get me out of my room!”

Sungyeol’s mother looked at Eunsil, hoping she had an idea.

“Ya, Lee Sungyeol!” Eunsil shouted, “stop being a choding and get out of there.”

“Lee Daeyeol! You’re dead!!! Why did you call her??” Sungyeol scolded his brother.

“Leave your brother out of this and just open this door!”

“I. Don’t. Want. To. Mehrong.” Sungyeol said in a playful yet annoying tone.

“Oh, that’s it!” Eunsil tried to be patient, but she could not. She thought of ways to get Sungyeol out of his room. She did not want to lose to that choding. “Daeyeol-ah, can I enter your room and, er, your closet?” Though confused, Daeyeol just nodded in agreement.

She entered Daeyeol’s room and quickly went into his closet. Sungyeol and Daeyeol’s room were right next to each other, but it used to be just one big room before it got divided. That’s why there was only a wall separating their closets. And somewhere in that wall, Eunsil remembered that Sungyeol taught her a ‘secret passage’ to his room, back when they were 8.

She shoved away some of Daeyeol’s clothes, promising to rearrange them after. She then looked for the ‘secret passage’ Sungyeol taught her. “That passage should be around here somewhere… aha, found it!” She opened the small opening near the lower right corner of Daeyeol’s closet.

She squeezed herself in; thankful that she did not grow that much since the last time she used this passage. She ended up in Sungyeol’s dark closet. She extended her hands in front of her, shoved away Sungyeol’s clothes and tried to find the door. As soon as she found them, she pushed the closet doors open.

“Aaaack!” Sungyeol screamed that high-pitched scream, “how did you get in here??”

Eunsil stuck her tongue out while she stood up and fixed herself. “What the hell is your problem?”

“Nothing, I just didn’t want to go out.”

“Your mother and brother are worried sick about you, and you tell me that’s your reason??”

Sungyeol tried to think of an answer fast. “I was finishing something,” was the easiest explanation he can think of. Eunsil scanned Sungyeol’s room to see if he was really doing something. Sungyeol’s desk caught her attention. It was full of papers and pens of different colours plus other art materials.

“Since when do you like arts and crafts?” she asked her best friend. She looked at him suspiciously, as if he did something wrong. She took a few steps closer to his desk, but Sungyeol quickly ran to it to hide what he was doing.

“I was trying to make something since yesterday. I told you I was just trying to finish it before you came” he replied, trying to sound as natural as possible. He was very nervous; he did not want Eunsil to see his ‘project’. But he knew his best friend would not give up just like that.

“Can I see it?”

Sungyeol shook his head in reply.

“Why??”

“I will only show it to the person I’m gonna give this to.”

“Ohh~ so you’re hiding secrets from me now? And I thought we were best friends.”

“We are. I just can’t let you see this.”

“Let me see!!” Eunsil tried her best to peek, not to see what Sungyeol was hiding, but to annoy him.

“No!”

“Please~”

“I said no!”

“Alright, I won’t. In one condition?”

“What??” Sungyeol was losing his patience.

“Leave your room and eat something.” As soon as Eunsil finished talking, she saw Sungyeol’s face. She knew she was winning. ‘Got you there!’ she thought.

Sungyeol did not expect this. He needed to make a choice. He knew that leaving his room is better than letting Eunsil see his project, or else his plan would be ruined. At the same time, he knew he had to finish what he started. “I will if you let me finish this.”

“Sure.”

“But no peeking!”

Eunsil nodded. She had no idea was her best friend was hiding. The fact that Sungyeol was hiding something from her really bothered her. All she could do was to wait for him to finish. She knew that this was the only way for her to complete her ‘mission’ of getting him out of his room.

 

To get rid of her boredom, Eunsil send a text message to Daeyeol. “Daeyeol-ah, Yeollie’s gonna leave his room soon. :)”

Thanks, noona. :D You’re the best!” Daeyeol replied.

“It’s nothing. See you in a bit.” Eunsil could not help but smile. Her ‘mission’ was almost done.

“All done!!” Sungyeol said, suddenly standing up from his chair, surprising Eunsil.

“Now it’s time for you to leave your room.”

Sungyeol smiled that gummy smile of his, making Eunsil nervous. “Sure!”

To Eunsil’s surprise, Sungyeol grabbed her hand and dragged her out of his room, like an excited kid trying to show something to his mother. As the door opened, Eunsil tried to search for Daeyeol and Sungyeol’s mom to show them that Sungyeol left his room, but they were not there. ‘Strange…’ she thought, ‘where would they go at this hour?’.

They kept going up the stairs, still holding hands. Sungyeol held Eunsil’s hand on one and carried with him a backpack with the other.

“What’s going on? Where are we going?” Eunsil got so intrigued, she asked.

“Just trust me. We only have two minutes left.” Sungyeol replied. His reply just made his best friend more confused.

“Two minutes?” she asked, looking at her watch. “What are you waiting for? Midnight?”

“Uh-huh!”

“Midnight? For what?”

Before Sungyeol could answer, they arrived at the building’s rooftop. As Sungyeol opened the rooftop’s door, Eunsil saw Daeyeol and Sungyeol’s mom holding a cake.

Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you.

Happy birthday, dear Eunsil, Happy birthday to you.

Everything was perfect. They just the right amount of lights so that Eunsil could see the stars. They knew how much she liked star gazing.  Sungyeol’s mom prepared Eunsil’s favourite food. Daeyeol even bought her the book she wanted to buy. She just felt so happy.

Eunsil could not hold back her tears. Sungyeol’s family prepared so much for her birthday. What made that night really special was Sungyeol’s gift. It was a scrapbook of filled with memories of their friendship. From the first day they met back in kindergarten, to the times they met other friends. From the time Eunsil moved into the same building as Sungyeol’s family, till the day Sungyeol took a selca while he did this project.

“Am I great or not?” Sungyeol asked, proud of his successful plan.

Eunsil was so speechless that she hugged him in return.

“Sungyeol planned all of this you know,” Sungyeol’s mom said, “he was worried that you’re just going to stay in your room for your birthday, and I guess he was right.”

“If you only knew how much he bothered us to get everything perfect, you’ll get a headache.” Daeyeol added.

“Thanks, everyone,” Eunsil said, “I can’t tell you how happy I am right now.” But then she remembered something, “Wait a minute, when you say Yeollie planned everything? What you mean?” Eunsil’s eyes narrowed at her best friend.

“Why, don’t you like it?” Sungyeol asked with pouting lips.

“I like it, very much. But that room thing, was it part of the plan?” Eunsil asked, looking at Daeyeol and Sungyeol.

Daeyeol looked away, avoiding the question.

“Ehehehe,” was all that Sungyeol could answer.

She got so annoyed that she hit Sungyeol’s arms until her anger was gone. Sungyeol hugged her to make her stop. “Ya! My plan wouldn’t have worked if I didn’t do that.”

“Forgive him, Eunsil. You know how weird he thinks.” Sungyeol’s mom said, calming Eunsil down. Eunsil smiled in response.

“Oh and one more thing,” Sungyeol added, Eunsil’s smile vanished. Sungyeol’s tone changed from playful to serious. “Can you stop being my best friend?”

Eunsil’s eyes widened. “Ya, Wae??”

“Stop being my best friend and be my girlfriend. We want you in our family.”

Again, Eunsil was speechless. She just hugged Sungyeol as a yes.

“You were always a part of our family,” Sungyeol’s mother said, “happy birthday Eunsil-ah”

“Happy birthday, Noona,” Daeyeol added.

Sungyeol released Eunsil from his embrace and ran away, saying “Eunsil, babo! Hahaha. Babo!!”

“Stop right there you, choding!” Eunsil said, chasing Sungyeol.

Daeyeol and their mother just laughed at the two. Their relationship would not change. Even if they get older, the childishness in them will remain. After all, even a choding has a sweet side to him. 

 


How was it? Har. I know it wasn't as good as my other fics. I feel like it's a bit rushed. Sorry, Yeollie. I just couldn't stop thinking about this scenario. :P

But anyways, tell me what you think about it. :D

COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE. :)