Dama de Noche.

Dama de Noche.

 

 He walked towards the Han River, his hands safely tucked inside his hoodie’s front pocket. He doesn’t know what exactly he is expecting by coming here. Would he find out her identity?.. Is the person he’s looking for even a her? A There’s no way to know unless he finds her. And that in itself is a difficult task. He doesn’t even know anything about the person. He only has a fleece blanket and the lingering scent of perfume on it to base his search on. Finding her is an impossible task. But he just had to try.. And that’s how he ended up along the Han River every night he can, just like tonight, sitting on the same place he usually sits on.

 

Time ticked by.. Seyong felt like tonight is another fruitless night. He’d already been here for two hours but he still couldn’t find anyone that might be just the person he’s looking for. Some people who passed by and recognized him went near his place and asked for autograph. But among those people, he knew none of them is her.

 

Perhaps he should give up. But memories of that night fuelled his desire to find her, whoever she is.

 

It was his first time venturing out alone along the Han River that night. Despite the tiring schedule their group had, Seyong still couldn’t fall asleep no matter what he does. Frustrated, he got up and sneaked out of the dorm to have a walk.

 

But the planned walk turned into a night of rendezvous. He did a very risky move by taking their manager’s car out of the parking lot to drive around Seoul. It was only a few months before that when he finally got his driving license, and that night is one of the rare opportunities he ever had to test out his driving skills.

 

He drove aimlessly until the serene waters of the Han River caught his eyes. He parked the car on the side and stopped the engine before getting out, walking along the river side.

 

It’s already late into the night; not many people are around to recognize him. But as a caution, he pulled the hoodie over his head as he walked.

 

Calm. Serene. The gentle wind lulled his restless mind. He took a seat on the edge of the river, with his hands behind his back to support his weight. He slowly closed his eyes and let the silence comfort him. The light breeze along with the calming silence set the right atmosphere. His eyelids drooped to a close as he lied on the cold pavement.

 

It was the most peaceful sleep Seyong had ever since he became a trainee. It was weird how his body felt relaxed when he stirred awake the next morning, despite having slept on the cold pavement the night before. He swore he felt as though he was sleeping on someone’s lap back then, but there was no one when he woke up. The only thing that confirmed his hunch was the fleece blanket covering him when he woke up.

 

He went back to that same place the night after, thinking that perhaps the owner of the blanket would be there again to get it from him. But just like tonight, there was no one. Going to the Han River at night became habitual. Whenever his schedule is free, no matter how tired he is, he makes it a point to go back to that place.

 

He almost got in trouble when their managers and his group members caught him sneaking out late into the night last week. They suspected that he’s seeing someone but he quickly refuted their accusations. He had no choice but to tell them the entire story to get himself off the hook.

 

Since then, the  members and sometimes even their managers take turns to go with him. The maknaes Chaejin and JunQ are especially keen to the idea of meeting their hyung’s “lady  of the night”, as the group has dubbed her. They’re often tagging along with him, sometimes even insisting that they spend the night there.

 

But tonight, it’s only him who went. The managers had finally trusted him not to get into any scandal by going here, and the other members are really tired as they had only arrived back from Japan today. They immediately fell asleep as soon as their bodies hit their beds. Even the persistent duos Chaejin and JunQ fell asleep despite their resolve to go to Han River today.

 

He sat on the same pavement. His resolve to find that person is growing weak with every minute that has passed. Another sigh escaped his lips. He rubbed his hands together to shove off the cold. Tonight, the breeze had already been a bit chilly, reminding him that winter is about to come.

 

Two months. It’s nearing the end of November.. the transition from autumn to winter could already be felt on the cold breeze at night.

 

An hour has passed. Seyong’s hope gets diminished with each moment that passes. Was it really impossible to meet that person again? What is this sudden fixation with wanting to meet her? He couldn’t explain. All he knew is that he has to find out her identity.. So he could end this fixation already.

 

Another hour went  by. He knew he has to leave but his feet stayed fixated on the cold pavement. His body refused to move from its lying position on the floor. His eyes already started feeling heavy and Seyong finally surrendered to sleep. It’s not like he could drive back to the dorm in this state anyway..

 

 

---

 

 

She didn’t expect to see him there again, fast asleep on the floor. Why does he always end up asleep when she sees him? He obviously has a much more comfortable bed back in his dorm so why choose to sleep here? But now that she thought about it, it’s probably the same reason why she always walks around the Han River at this time of the night. In search of peace of mind... serenity.

 

She slowly walked closer to him. Everything felt like a déjà vu. This is how she first saw him that night too.. She kneeled beside him and stared at his face up close. He looked stressed. His eyebrows were furrowed as though he’s experiencing pain. Is he experiencing nightmare again? But he wasn’t thrashing around like last time.

 

With a sigh, she sat down next to him and pulled his head up from the cold floor and into her lap. She pulled out the blanket she brought tonight from her bag and covered his form with it.

 

Seeing the distressed expression on his face, she started singing a lullaby and combed her hand through his hair. It was effective as his creased eyebrows slowly eased and a peaceful expression replaced the distressed one on his face.

 

The slightly chilly wind blew gently, she mentally thanked her unnie for reminding her to bring the wool sweater she’s wearing now just in case. She looked down at the sleeping man on her lap once again and a small smile graced her lips.

 

How long had it been since they saw each other? He’ll probably think she’s creepy when he finds out she’s here. That’s the same reason why she immediately left as soon as she made sure his sleeping fits were over last time. They never really had the chance to be close despite being coupled up in the variety show when they first met.

 

And now here she is, cradling his head as he sleeps along the Han River.

 

Her eyes started drooping close. A yawn escaped her lips. She took one last look at his face before trying to move his head gently back on the floor. But unlike last time when she succeeded, he slowly stirred this time and Eunyoung held her breath.

 

To her relief, he didn’t fully wake up. But getting up suddenly became difficult. His hands clutched on her sweater when he moved and his face snuggled closer to her midriff. She bit her lip once she realized the sticky situation.. How would she get up now without waking him up?

 

 

---

 

 

For the first time in a long time, he dreamt.. He dreamt of the various flashbacks from his childhood.. The first time he got interested in dancing.. The time when he got lost and his mom eventually found him... his first school presentation..

 

Seyong slowly woke up and fluttered his eyes open. The first thing that greeted him was wool. And then he realized.. he’s not lying on the cold and hard floor. It’s warm... and wool. Wait what?

 

He moved his head and saw someone he didn’t expect.

 

“Eunyoung-ssi?” he muttered as he realized whose lap he is lying on.

 

She has her eyes closed and a closer look made him realize that she actually fell asleep while sitting down. He stared. Their proximity allowed him to see her face up close. Her close eyes emphasized her long lashes.. Seyong stayed that way, lying on her lap and watching her sleep.

 

He only snapped out of it when the blanket that was draped around his body fell on the floor. He slowly stood up from her lap to pick it up when it finally clicked on his mind.

 

He picked the blanket up and the scent of jasmine filled the air once again. It’s the same scent as the blanket he had with him has. His eyes focused back on the sleeping woman. He noticed her almost losing balance while asleep. His reflexes quickly kicked in. He caught her body in time before she crashed face first on the hard pavement.

 

The motion woke her up. It took a moment before she got hold of the situation. She bit her lip, silently cursing herself for falling asleep when she should have stayed awake and waited for the right moment to leave. Now, she’s caught in this awkward situation.

 

“Ah.. mianhe..” she immediately apologized before standing up. “I didn’t mean to intrude on your privacy.. Really.. I was planning to leave as soon as you fell back to sleep but then you moved and well.. yeah..” she fiddled with her fingers while trying to explain.

 

Seyong only stood there, trying to grasp everything that happened.. the blanket.. the scent... him waking up on her lap.. Joo Eunyoung... could it be?

 

“Ah.. I’ll be going now, Seyong-ssi. Mianhaeyo.”

 

Seyong snapped out of his thoughts to see Eunyoung holding on to a bike and preparing to leave.

 

“Chakaman!” he’s already walking towards her before he could even realize it. “You’re going home in that?” he asked while looking at the bike with doubt.

 

Eunyoung nodded, “I often go biking from our dorm to here..”

 

“Do you want me to drive you back instead? I brought a car with me.. Besides, it would be too dangerous for you to go home alone at this time.. It’s still too dark..” Seyong found himself offering to bring her back despite not knowing where she’s even staying in the first place.

 

Eunyoung was shocked by the offer. She knew Seyong’s a sweetheart despite his bad boy image in their album, but Eunyoung doesn’t know how she’ll decline the offer. It’s already awkward enough being caught sleeping with him on her lap. Being alone on a car with him would just be too much of an embarrassment for her.

 

“Aniyo. I mean, thank you for the offer Seyong-ssi. But I can manage...” she said with a small smile before walking off with her bike.

 

“Eunyoung-ah..”

 

She paused.

 

“I mean, is it alright to call you that?”

 

She looked confused for a moment before nodding.

 

Seyong caught up with her and walked beside her.

 

“Gomawo..”

 

Eunyoung craned her neck to see Seyong staring back at her while walking. She tilted her head.

 

“For letting me sleep on your lap.. My body would have ended up being sore had I fallen asleep on the floor..” Seyong explained.

 

Eunyoung nodded in understanding, “You looked uncomfortable last night when I saw you....” she trailed off.

 

“I felt fully rested when I woke up..” he admitted. “I even had a nice dream after a long time..”

 

“A dream?” It caught Eunyoung’s curiosity.

 

“A flashback.. of my childhood.. Happy memories.. It was really nice. And there’s someone.. I couldn’t see her, but a voice was singing a lullaby...” Seyong watched out for Eunyoung’s reaction. She averted her eyes as soon as she heard the word “lullaby”.

 

“Could it be...” he paused. “Could it be you singing, by any chance?”

 

Eunyoung flushed as she looked at him, “Aniyo.."

"It wasn’t really singing.. It’s just a hum..  My mother used to hum that same lullaby when I couldn’t sleep at night. I thought it might work to calm you..” she clarified.

 

“It did.” Seyong confirmed. He smiled. “It definitely did.”

 

The awkward silence between them gradually disappeared as they walked along the roads on their way back to Eunyoung’s dorm. Eunyoung insisted that she can go home alone but Seyong still persisted and even left the car along the Han River to walk her back.

 

It was an hour-long walk from the Han River to TwoX’s dorm. Eunyoung laughed at Seyong’s jokes as the two of them took the chance to get to know each other more through conversations. By the time they reached the front of Eunyoung’s dorm’s building, she felt like she already knew Seyong way better than before.

 

He’s a sweet guy with a great sense of humor.. Very different from the fierce concept their group often portrays. She honestly enjoyed his company.. She didn’t even realize that time has passed until she saw the familiar building of their dorm.

 

“Well, here’s my stop. Thank you for walking me back, Seyong-oppa..” She smiled. Seyong had insisted to her earlier on  that they drop the formalities.

 

She made her way inside the building after saying her goodbyes but she halted midstep when she heard Seyong call her.

 

“Eunyoung-ah..”

 

She turned around to see Seyong walking towards her. Her eyebrows creased in confusion. He held his phone out.

 

“Put your number in so I could call you. I forgot to bring your blanket with me..”

 

“Eh? But my blanket’s here...” she said, motioning to the blanket neatly folded inside her bike’s basket.

 

“I meant your other blanket..” he clarified. “It was also you, wasn’t it?”

 

Eunyoung reluctantly nodded as she realized that Seyong had known it was her  after all.

 

She pushed her number in and handed the phone back to Seyong. “I never thought you’d put them back together.. The first time in Han River, I mean..”

 

“I may not look like it, but I’m quite smart..”

 

Eunyoung laughed.

 

“That was my first time going to Han River alone.. And I ended up falling asleep.. That’s not something difficult to remember..”

 

“It was your first time?” Eunyoung couldn’t help but ask. “What were you doing there anyway?”

 

“That first time, I just wanted to pass some time. I couldn’t sleep that night and I ended up driving to Han river... Then the nights after that, I went because there’s a question I wanted to find the answer in..” Seyong said while looking straight at Eunyoung’s eyes.

 

She nodded. Curiosity made her wonder what it is, but she opted for a less intrusive question, “Well, did you find the answer then?”

 

Seyong looked at her and smiled with his hands stuffed inside his hoodie’s pocket. “I did.” He said..

 

 

“I found you.” He said to himself whilst looking at Eunyoung’s retreating back. “Lady of the Night.