※ Final

Secretive Fascination

 

Future

 

 

 

Click,

Click,

Click.

 

Daehyun looked down at the pictures which he had captured. He smiled triumphantly to himself.

She did not notice his actions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 and a Half Months Ago

 

 

 

Daehyun walked calmly through the park. He could not stop staring at his surroundings; nature was absolutely breathtaking.

 

The sun was out, but it was not scorching. The soft grass which he walked on was perfectly forest green, and the powder blue sky adorned itself with infinitely light cloth. Birds chirped melodiously while they landed on bright and colorful flowers. Butterflies and bees played around with each other while lightly fighting for room in the spacious air. It was summer, but the air was not dense. Commercial buildings were also barely visible from the park, and every age group cheerfully surrounded the area.

 

Daehyun took a deep breath. The blissful scenery was the exact reason why he chose to start his morning in that area. He could capture picturesque photos of nature and families; he could experience their unity, and at the same time, it would be possible to promote it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 Months Ago

 

 

 

The first time Daehyun caught a glimpse of the girl was through his precious camera. He was in a predisposition where he would wildly capture as many pictures as the rare moment would allow, and while doing so, he suddenly stopped at one frame.

 

There, on a wooden bench shaded by a huge tree sat a certain, eye catching girl. With a book at hand and a small sling bag beside her, she looked like she was the most serene figure among everyone in the park. This instantly caught Daehyun's attention. He gradually lowered his camera to stare at her more naturally. 

 

Her bistre colored hair danced with the sudden gust of wind, and she smiled shyly because of the mess. No one saw her though – no one but Daehyun.

 

Unexpectedly, he felt a grin tug at the corner of his mouth. As he watched the girl's common yet sincere actions, he suddenly felt different; he finally felt at ease with another person. From that moment onwards, Daehyun knew that he would be watching her for as long as he could.

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 and a Half Months Ago

 

 

 

Click,

 

Click,

 

Click.

 

 

Daehyun stared at the pictures which his camera had captured, and he bit his lower lip while smiling in satisfaction. From the top of the slightly elevated land to the girl's left, he could see her without without ever being noticed.

 

Ten footed trees and plants would further cover the girl's view of the land which Daehyun frequently sat at, and so he could take as many candid pictures of nature, its visitors, and of course, of her without ever leaving a hint of his actions.

 

Fortunately, crossing each other's paths while leaving the park was never a problem. She always exited the area by taking the adjacent road, and he would never leave until she was out of sight. Their situations matched perfectly: The girl would continue to quietly enjoy the summer with her various books at hand while he would continue his aimless infatuation.

 

Daehyun was probably wasting his time by merely watching her unhurried actions, but as long as she – the girl whom he knew close to nothing about – continued to appear at the same place, Daehyun would continue to do what he would not stop: Watching her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 Month Ago 

 

 

 

Her book was different from yesterdays; its cover was umber brown.

 

Daehyun noticed that immediately. She was frequently one of the first people to arrive at the park, and she always sat in the same bench until the sun began to scorch her skin and children were called out for lunch.

 

Daehyun's thoughts rushed madly around his mind. Suddenly, he began to wonder more intensely about numerous possible topics concerning her.

 

She read at least nine books a week, so can she be considered knowledgable?

 

Her hair was always neat and her clothes were crisp and new, so does that mean that she cared more about her appearance over more important matters?

 

She politely greeted the other visitors of the park regardless if they knew each other on a personal level or not, so can Daehyun safely conclude that she was kind?

 

He knew too little about her, and yet his interest continued to grow.

 

However, no matter how dangerous his situation was, Daehyun did not to care. 

 

He simply wanted to continue watching her.

 

He wished to never stop observing her every move. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Half a Month Ago

 

 

 

Whether the feeling was love, severe obsession, admiration, or something he could not directly put his finger on, Daehyun did not care. His emotions did not matter anyways; it was hers that did. 

 

As he calmly walked into the park while holding numerous developed pictures at hand, Daehyun thought about her carefully. Whenever he saw her natural actions, he felt uncommonly at ease. She willingly blended in with the serene surroundings, and she embraced reality in a personal yet elegant way. 

 

The wind caressed his body lightly, and Daehyun enjoyed it. With a final mindset, he confidently decided that he liked her. He would always keep a space in his time and memory for her. 

 

He climbed up the elevated land beside her usual bench. Daehyun always sat there, so the surrounding scenery did not play its usual key in his attention. He was too busy thinking of her.

 

At that moment, a huge gush of wind heartlessly blew towards Daehyun's direction. All of the pictures which he carelessly held on to flew away from his grasp. Some landed safely beside him, but most found its way down hill. 

 

"No!" Daehyun suddenly shouted. "My picture of her is in that pile!" 

 

He desperately rushed down the path and picked up every photo that fortunetly met his way. Some were exposed on the neat grass, others found themselves stuck in the branches of a complicated bush, while even more where nowhere to be seen. Daehyun shouted in frustration. Surely, the photo pile consisted mostly of pictures showcasing nature and the random visitors of the park, but that one picture of her was still lost; it could have found its way to the wrong owner. 

 

Daehyun ran wildly around the park. The only thought on his mind was, find it.

 

Sweat continuously trailed down his face from exhaustion, but he did not care about anything except the picture. He did not even notice where exactly he was heading to. 

 

"Excuse me," a sweet voice softly interrupted his race. "I've been calling you for a while now, but I don't think you heard me."

 

Daehyun stopped dead in his tracks. Even though he had never heard her speak, he knew that it was her - the girl whom he had watched for so long. 

 

"I think you dropped something."

 

Among all the possible actions that he was forced to do, Daehyun did not want to turn around to look at her the most. Ironically, he had never wished to approach her directly even though he had captured all her movements every single day. 

 

"Excuse me," she said again.

 

He could accurately predict what she was feeling when she saw him dash around the field berserkly.

 

He knew the exact reason why she took the trouble to call him out.

 

He knew the precise object which she held in her hands and was most probably reaching out to him at that moment.

 

Daehyun wanted to ignore her and act as if he was deaf, but he knew that even the mere thought of it was wrong. Anyways, he had already paused his run; she knew that he had already given her his complete attention. 

 

He finally turned around, and the item which he feared was in her possession - the candid photo of herself - appeared expectedly. 

 

Daehyun did not even bother to grab the photo back. He cowardly ran away from her a moment later. 

 

 

 

 

 

Present

 

 

 

 

"I think you take wonderful pictures," the girl said the second she stopped him from heading the opposite path. She had waited almost impatiently for half a month before she could give her praise; she had further waited for two and a half months before she could actually talk to him directly. 

 

"I was ecstatic when I first saw the picture that you took of me."

 

Daehyun stared at her with widened eyes and a slightly agape mouth. Contrary to what he had frighteningly believed for half a month, she was not the slightest bit angry. Reprimanding him was the last thing she would ever do. 

 

Daehyun was further taken a back when she asked hopefully,

 

"I want to know you more, so can you please teach me how to take pictures as professionally as you?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I unexpectedly made Daehyun somewhat like a stalker here. Lol.

Anyways, if you've read the entire story, I believe you would be confused with the ending.

The first and last parts do not seem to match each other too well. 

In my head, the girl wants to get to know Daehyun more, but he will continue to capture candid pictures of her.

Thank you for reading this!