Here For You

The Woman I Love

So because I was a day late with the last chapter, I'm trying to get back on schedule with the 'every 3 days is an update' schedule

I was aiming for a 10-chapter story...but I may have underestimated this >.<"""

Thank you so much to @minisquid121197 and @priyaa for the upvotes!! You're super awesome!! 


 

“Hello?”


“Yifan! It’s Changmin.”


“Ah hyung! How’s everything?”


“Are you busy right now?”


“I’m finishing up some paperwork at the hospital.”


“Then you’ll be off?”


“If nothing else comes up...why what’s up?”


“I need you to come over.”


“Hyung, are you okay? Is Sooyoung noona alright?”


“We’re both fine...it’s...Yifan, it’s Jessica...”


“Jessi??!”


“Yeah, so when you can...come over?”


“Yeah hyung no problem. I’ll be there as soon as possible.”


Hanging up the call, Yifan finished his chartwork before handing them over to the attending physician. Excusing himself for a family emergency, Yifan changed out of his scrubs and lab coat and into street clothes. Grabbing his things he ran out of the hospital and took a cab to Changmin’s place. Ringing up to the apartment he was surprised to see Changmin come downstairs to greet him. “Hyung, you could have just buzzed me up.”


“I wanted to come down and warn you first. Don’t worry, Sooyoung is with Jessica so she’s not alone upstairs.”


“What happened?”


Changmin filled Yifan in on the day’s events. Apparently Sooyoung had come home from the market and found Jessica sitting outside the apartment building with her belongings. That morning Jessica had told her parents about taking a full-time job offer with the nonprofit and quitting her job at the consulting firm. She wanted to devote her time and energy to an organization she believed in and could see herself making a difference with them.  Needless to say they weren’t thrilled, thinking she was throwing away her talent and a perfectly good, stable job. Jessica had held her thoughts in, knowing there would be no point in arguing back. But then they started to blame Yifan for introducing her to the orphanage and sending her on this so-called downward spiral that would end with her demise just because she didn’t want to stay in the corporate world.


Her arguing back and defending Yifan made her parents even angrier. Disappointed that his daughter would not be following in his career path, Mr. Jung had ordered her to leave the house. Angry at her parents for blaming Yifan and their unwillingness to listen, Jessica had packed some clothes and came to Sooyoung’s.


“She told you all that?”


“Well Sooyoung spent most of the afternoon trying to draw it out of her. But she has yet to actually cry about it. We thought it’d be best for you to come see her.”


“Thanks for letting me know hyung.” Entering the apartment, Yifan found the two ladies sitting on the couch. Sooyoung held the younger girl in her arms, gently her hair and murmuring random words. Yifan dropped down onto Jessica’s other side and put his hand on her shoulder. Immediately she went from Sooyoung’s embrace to his, burying her face in his chest and wrapping her arms around him. The tears that didn’t fall the entire afternoon started slipping down her face. Yifan felt his shirt getting wet and pulled her closer, settling her onto his lap to bring her closer.  


Hearing her quiet sobs coming now that Yifan arrived, Sooyoung decided to leave them alone and went to Changmin’s side.


“Is she-?”


Shushing her husband until they left the room, Sooyoung closed their bedroom door. “I think she was just waiting for Yifan to come...you know how she trusts him the most out of everyone.”


Changmin nodded in understanding.


“I should get the guest room ready.”


“Yifan wants to bring her back to his place. They’ll get going once Jessica has calmed down a bit.”


“Oh I’ll make some food so they don’t have to worry about eating.”


“Soo, honey...I doubt food will be on their minds tonight,” Changmin gently told her.


“I know, but they’ll have to eat eventually and I don’t want them to have to think about it.” Sooyoung stepped out of the bedroom and headed to the kitchen to pack food.


Both Changmin and Sooyoung moved around their apartment, performing random tasks while Yifan sat in the living room with Jessica. After some time, Changmin settled in the kitchen with some work while Sooyoung cooked some food. “Hyung, noona,” Yifan called them as he walked into the kitchen.


“Yifan, how is she?”


“She’s cried it out. We’re going to leave now.”


“Are you sure? You both can stay, we have a guest room,” Sooyoung offered, worried about Jessica.


“It’s okay, but thank you noona. Jessi is just washing her face in the bathroom and then we’ll head out.”


“Okay but if you need anything just let us know.”


“Thanks hyung. Where’s her stuff?”


“It’s in the guest room. Honey can you get it?” Changmin nodded and left the room. “I also packed some food for both of you. That way you won’t have to think about cooking or ordering out.” Sooyoung pulled a bag out of the refrigerator and offered it to Yifan.


“Noona, you didn’t have to do that.”


“It’s the least I can do. Take care of Jessica, okay? Call me or Changmin if anything else happens.”


“I will, thanks.”


Going into the living room, Yifan put on his backpack and waited for Jessica. Sooyoung went to the bathroom and came out with the younger girl, rubbing her back and murmuring words of encouragement.


Slipping on her shoes, Jessica picked up her purse and duffel bag. But Yifan quickly took her bag and just handed her the food bag instead. “Thank you for everything unnie. Thank you oppa. Sorry to have bothered you both on a Saturday.”


“Don’t apologize. Our home is always open to you. Let us know if we can do anything.” Giving Jessica a tight hug, Sooyoung patted Yifan on the arm as Changmin quickly said goodbye to Jessica with a hug.


Putting his hand on Jessica’s back, Yifan led her out the door and into the hall. The whole way back to his apartment, the two stayed silent. Entering the apartment, Yifan put Jessica’s duffel in the bathroom and came out to see her putting the bag of food away. Letting her finish first, he came over and held her arm, guiding her to the bathroom. “Go shower. I’ll be right here if you need anything. I already put out a pair of sweats and a shirt for you. And your duffel is right here in the bathroom.”


Nodding Jessica shut the door and Yifan could hear the sound of the water coming on. Calling Changmin to let them know they arrived, Yifan settled on the couch with a book. Hearing the water stop he put the book aside and waited. Jessica came out, dressed in the clothes he set out - her small frame dwarfed by his large clothes. Yifan patted the couch and she came over to sit next to him.


Wrapping his arm around her and drawing her into his side, Yifan laid his cheek against the top of her head. “Stay here with me, okay?”


“Mm...thank you...”


The two sat in silence for a bit until Yifan spoke again. “Why didn’t you come to me right away?”


“They would have thought I’d go to you right away. I didn’t want to cause any trouble for you, so you could technically say you had no idea where I was if they had asked....Did...did they contact you?”


Knowing she meant her parents, he shook his head. “Nope. Do they even know my number?”


“Oh yeah...”


“And they don’t even know where I work at, so it’s fine.”


“That’s because they don’t bother listening to me if I’m not talking about work....I don’t know what went wrong....Yifan...I don’t know who my parents are anymore...” Jessica broke down again in tears.


Yifan held her tighter, patting her hair and back until he felt her cries subsided. Leaning back to check on her, he realized she had fallen asleep from exhaustion. Picking her up, he carried her into the bedroom and slid her under the covers. Tucking her under the covers, he waited a few minutes more before going to shower himself. Changed into his pajamas, he came back into the bedroom. Accompanied by his book, he sat by the bedside through the night in case Jessica needed him.


At times she would toss restlessly in her sleep and mumble intelligible words. When it happened, Yifan would hold her hands and murmur softly to her until she drifted back into sleep. Holding her hand tightly in his, he squeezed hers. “Jessi...don’t worry, I’ll be here for you...your Yifan is here for you.”