01

Accustomed Sweetness

 

Suzy ran into the lecture hall just as the lecture was about to start and sat down beside Myungsoo.

Myungsoo sighed, “Suzy, forever late.”

Suzy returned his remark with a pinch on the arm, earning herself a glare from him. She just smiled victoriously and pretended to pay attention to the lecture.

“Hey, do you have an extra pencil?” Suzy asked.

“No.” Myungsoo replied curtly.

Suzy glanced into his pencil case and swiftly grabbed a pencil.

“I guess I shouldn’t even bother asking next time.”

“Seriously, Suzy, you need to get some proper stationery into your pencil case.”

“I do, they just mysteriously go missing after a while...”

Myungsoo simply shook his head in resignation. If Suzy wasn’t clumsy, then she wouldn’t be Suzy.

Halfway through the lecture, Myungsoo began to twirl Suzy’s wavy locks around his finger.

“Stop it; I’m trying to pay attention.” Suzy muttered.

Myungsoo’s vision flitted down to Suzy’s lecture notes, where scribbles and sketches of random things were scattered around the page.

“Yeah, right.” Myungsoo smirked.

Myungsoo scribbled on Suzy’s lecture notes while she wasn’t looking.

#1 Fool --> Bae Suzy

When Suzy saw it, she did the same thing to his.

Sungjong, who was sitting on the other side of Myungsoo, rolled his eyes. He’s already used to their antics.

 

Suzy was sitting alone at the café when Myungsoo plopped himself down on the bench across her, with two bottles of banana milk in hand.

“Here.” Myungsoo said as he pushed one of the bottles to her.

“Whoa – ” Suzy began to coo, but Myungsoo raised a hand up before she could continue.

“Wait, before your mind starts running wild,” He said with a straight face, “I didn’t buy this just for you. I wanted to buy only one initially, but I have no idea what’s wrong with the machine – it swallowed up my change and gave me two.”

“Yeah, right. Come up with some more creative excuses next time okay? That’s just ridiculous.”

Just then, Sungjong walked past, so Suzy gestured for him to join them at the table.

“I have happy news to share with you guys.” She said with a big foolish grin hanging on her face.

Seeing her look so radiant, the two boys also smiled lightly in anticipation.

“Minho asked me out on a date! I didn’t even have to ask him!” Suzy chirped as she clapped her hands lightly.

The two boys looked dumbfounded, and Suzy’s smile faded a little.

“Aren’t you guys glad for me? Minho’s like the perfect guy every girl is after!”

“Congratulations!” Sungjong exclaimed and clapped lightly in late response.

“Don’t fall too hard into it. Even if he may seem perfect, that doesn’t mean he’s perfect for you.” Myungsoo simply said coldly with his eyes looking somewhere else other than at Suzy.

Suzy pouted, “I should’ve known better than to hope that you guys would share in my joy. Forget it, I’m going to tell my girlfriends instead.”

Just as Suzy was about to leave, a girl walked up to their table and tapped Myungsoo on the shoulder.

“Oh, hey, Lizzy, long time no see!”

“Yeah! I can’t believe I just found out that we’re in the same university!”

Myungsoo chuckled, and then noticed the guy next to Lizzy, who had his arms around her waist.

“Oh, are you guys like…”

“Yeah, we’ve been together for about a month.”

“Congratulations!” He shook her hand with a big smile.

“Thanks! I think we’ll make a move first.” Lizzy said.

“Sure, see you around!” Myungsoo waved.

When Myungsoo turned back to the table, Suzy narrowed her eyes at him.

“What?” He said with an eyebrow raised.

“Why is it that you’re all smiles with other girls and this way to me?”

“Are you sure you want me to keep smiling at you? You may not be able to handle my charms.”

Suzy rolled her eyes.

“On a side thought, no, you egoistic jerk.”

 

Suzy felt someone push her from the back and almost lost her balance as she fell forward. A strong pair of arms surrounded her tiny waist and pulled her backwards.

She steadied herself, and then swerved her head around, only to find herself face to face with none other than Kim Myungsoo.

Suzy scoffed, “Couldn’t you have said ‘Hi’ properly?”

“I’m sorry,” Myungsoo shrugged, “I didn’t expect you to have such bad sense of balance.”

“Anyway, here, take it.” Myungsoo passed a bundle of stationery to Suzy.

Suzy’s eyes widened as she looked up at Myungsoo.

“No need to thank me. This is just so that you’d stop bothering me about extra stationery in the lecture hall.”

Suzy smiled.

“Come on, I’ll treat you to some nice ice cream.”

“Wow, am I hearing things? Bae Suzy is giving me a treat?”

“Say some more and the offer will be gone.”

“No way, of course I want it.”

While they were savouring the ice cream, Suzy spoke up.

“Oh, did I tell you about Minho?”

“Yeah, he asked you out.”

“No, not that. He sent me home on a bicycle after our date! Isn’t it romantic?”

Myungsoo deadpanned, and then spoke up in disbelief.

“But I used to do that for you all the time! I only stopped because you said your hurt from sitting at the back!”

“Shh!” Suzy placed a finger at Myungsoo’s lips as she looked around cautiously.

“Don’t say such embarrassing things in public!” She whispered.

Myungsoo made a face as he shrugged.

“What can I do? You’re embarrassing.”

Suzy pouted, but then smiled again in the next second.

“Anyway, this is different.”

“I don’t see how. You really must stop being so obsessed over Choi Minho. It isn’t healthy.”

“I’m not being obsessed. I’m being in love.”

“The fact that you’re saying such cheesy things shows that you’re obsessed. You have to be careful, there are many rumours going around that he only enjoys toying with women’s feelings.”

“Rumours are rumours. There will always be such rumours about high-profile people.” Suzy stated.

Then, she eyed Myungsoo and smiled slyly.

“Why, is someone getting jealous?”

Myungsoo laughed awkwardly, “Are you kidding me? Why would I be jealous? I would gladly hand over a burden like you to someone else.”

Suzy punched Myungsoo on the arm hard.

“I’m not a burden!”

“Ouch!” Myungsoo yelped, and then protested, “Burdens will never know that they are a burden!”

“Say some more and this melted ice cream will be all over your head.”

“I might accidentally spill your violence and blackmailing tendencies to Minho you know.”

“You dare?”

“He has the right to know the truth.”

“Just a minute ago, you were talking about how bad a person he may be.”

“Even then, he has his rights.”

“Never mind, I’m sure he’ll still love me.”

Myungsoo put on a disgusted look while Suzy hit him on the head.

 

“I officially cannot handle it!” Myungsoo exclaimed to Sungjong.

“What is it?” Sungjong said, irritation evident in his voice.

“Suzy keeps going on about Choi Minho! Minho this, Minho that! Can’t she see that he’s not a good man?”

“Well, obviously she can’t. But you have no evidence either.”

“My instincts are never wrong. That guy is highly suspicious.” Myungsoo insisted and leaned back on the chair with his arms folded across his chest.

“He’s Suzy’s boyfriend now.”

“Yeah.”

“And why do you even care?”

Myungsoo was at a loss for words.

 

“Sungjong-ah!” Suzy groaned as soon as she sat down across him in the café.

“Why, Suzy? What happened?”

“I don’t know what’s gotten into Myungsoo lately. He keeps quarreling with me over Minho!”

Sungjong put his hands over his ears and shook his head in frustration.

“Why won’t you guys just talk to each other directly?”

“He won’t understand! He says I’m being obsessed.”

“It’s no wonder he feels that way, Suzy. You keep talking about Minho in front of him. You really think he feels nothing?”

“Sungjong, you’re not going to say that he likes me again right? I thought we’d already agreed that the hypothesis is not true. If he did, he’d have made a move long ago.”

“Well, I take back my words. Myungsoo may be too much of a coward to express his feelings that directly. But really, do you think that seat beside him in the lecture hall just happens to be empty all the time? Do you think he really buys that banana milk for himself? He doesn’t even like banana milk!”

“I know, but that doesn’t mean he likes me. Friends do that for each other as well.”

Sungjong let out an exceptionally loud sigh.

“I don’t care anymore, you two dim-wits can go solve your problems yourselves! Stop dragging me into it okay? I’m washing my hands off of this!”

“Why, Sungjong? I’ve not finished complaining! He treats other girls so sweetly, but chides me all the time and says I’m a burden! Even so, he dares to say that I’m his best friend!”

“Well, isn’t that what friends are for? To push over. Like what you’re doing to me now.”

“But I don’t like it.” Suzy groaned, “His attitude towards me is really miles away from that towards other girls! Haven’t you seen it?”

“Okay, Suzy, the question is…” Sungjong looked into her eyes while Suzy waited in anticipation for his advice.

“Yeah?”

“Why do you even care?”

With that, Sungjong left swiftly (while muttering about how he ended up being both their counselors).