.

Mechanical Romance

Kim Himchan wiped the sweat off his greasy forehead and furrowed his eyebrows in concentration. All afternoon he’d been working on trying to fix the ignition problems and oil leaks of a red Maserati. He leaned over the car and stuck the key in. It gave out with a sharp crank and groan. “Damn it.” He cursed and sighed in frustration.

“Why don’t you take a break and come eat lunch?” Yongguk, his best friend, called from the second floor.

Himchan grunted with a shake of his head and continued working on the car. He was determined to get it fixed. Yongguk pushed himself off the railing and smirked. *Freak.* “I’m going to get food. Make sure nobody steals anything!” He half-jokingly warned.

“Mmmhm.” Himchan waved him away and tempered with the car’s wires once more. He tried the key again and brightened when the car with ease. “Yes!” He pumped his fist with a grin. Eagerly, he set to work on the oil leak.

Half an hour later…

Himchan wiped the smudge off the hood of the car and exhaled in content. He placed his hands on his hips and looked at his customer’s car. *There, all done.*

“Hello, is anyone here?” A female voice came from the entrance on the first floor.

Himchan wiped his greasy hands on his black tank top and jogged up the metal stairs. “Coming.”

---

“Aigoo~ Your face is all wet.” Jang Yoonmi stooped down and wiped the droplets off her 3 year old son’s smooth face. She looked up when she heard footsteps approaching.

Himchan ran his fingers through his black hair. “How can I help you…?” His voice trailed off when he met eyes with the most enthralling pair of brown eyes he had ever seen. 

Yoonmi blinked, losing her train of thought for a moment. *Woah…* She cleared and stood up. “Annyeong. I brought my car…It’s having some problems.” She couldn’t find the right words and mentally scolded herself.

Himchan nodded and pulled out a clipboard from the desk. “Is your car parked out front?” Yoonmi nodded and handed him the key. Their hands accidentally touched, sending a small shock of electricity to ripple through their veins.

Yoonmi quickly pulled back and tried hard to keep herself from blushing. Himchan swallowed the lump in his throat and passed her the clipboard. “Please fill this out while I bring your car in.” He grabbed his jacket off the chair and headed outside.

“Come on Hyunseung-ah. Let’s help mommy fill out these papers.” She took her son’s hand and sat him down in one of the chairs.

A few moments later Himchan returned and motioned for them to follow him down to the garage. Yoonmi carefully followed after Himchan down the stairs with Hyunseung in her arms.

“I’m Kim Himchan, by the way.” He stretched his hand out towards Yoonmi.

Yoonmi looked up at him in surprise. “Yoonmi. Jang Yoonmi.” She slipped her hand into his big one and shook it.

Her hand felt so soft and delicate in his. *Yoonmi…that’s a beautiful name for a beautiful woman.* Himchan and Yoonmi realized they’d been shaking hands for a while and let go, both slightly embarrassed.

“This is my son, Hyunseung.” Yoonmi brushed the black hair out of Hyunseung’s eyes.

*S-Son?* If Himchan was surprised, he didn’t let it show. Instead, he stooped down and waved at Hyunseung. “Annyeong.”

Yoonmi soothingly rubbed his back. “Say hi Hyunseung.”

“Hi.” Hyunseung shyly said and bit on his thumbnail.

The corners of Himchan’s lips curled up into a small smile. “Cute kid.”

Yoonmi smiled along with Himchan. “Oh, here you go.” She handed him the clipboard.

Himchan took it and reviewed the papers.

Hyunseung tugged on the ends of Yoonmi’s peacoat. “Mommy.”

“What is it, baby?” Yoonmi worriedly looked at her son.

Hyunseung glanced at Himchan then the entire garage. “I’m hungry.” He pouted.

Yoonmi softened. “I know honey. Just wait a little bit longer, araso? We’ll be home soon.” She smoothed the back of his head.

Himchan had heard the entire thing and grabbed something out of his lunch box. He walked over to Yoonmi and Hyunseung and extended his arm out towards her son. “Is he allowed to have chips?” He looked up at Yoonmi.

Surprised and touched, she nodded her head. She turned to Hyunseung and lightly pushed him forwards. “Hyunseung-ah, what do you say?”

“Thank you~” Hyunseung quietly said and took the chips from Himchan.

Yoonmi helped him open the bag and looked at Himchan. “Thank you…for that.” She shyly smiled.

“It’s no problem.” Himchan said, happy to see Yoonmi’s breathtaking smile.

Yoonmi and Himchan locked eyes and felt a deep connection within them. It felt as though everything else had disappeared and only the two of them were together.

Their small moment was ruined by the loud crunching of chips. They looked down at Hyunseung happily munching on his snack and chuckled.

“Well…uhm…I’ll let you do your work now.” Yoonmi glanced at her car and nervously laughed.

Himchan straightened his shoulders and cleared his throat. “Oh, yes.”

“You don’t mind if we wait around for a bit while the rain passes, do you?” Yoonmi pointed upstairs.

Himchan glanced upstairs and then back at Yoonmi. “I can take you home…if you’d like…” He chewed on his bottom lip and tried not to sound creepy.

Instead of freaking out, like he had expected her to, Yoonmi genuinely reclined. “Oh no, I couldn’t. I wouldn’t want to burden you.” She shook her head.

*She’s cute.* Himchan smiled to himself. “Don’t worry about it. It’s no bother at all. I insist.” He said.

Yoonmi mulled it over and looked at Hyunseung. “I have a really cool and safe car~” Himchan sing-songed.

Yoonmi shifted her gaze towards Himchan and laughed, covering with the back of her hand. “If it’s not too much trouble then.” She nodded.

Himchan brightened. “I’ll get my keys.” He raced upstairs.

Yoonmi bit her bottom lip, keeping her beam from growing any wider. She looked at Hyunseung and smiled.

Himchan rushed to find his car keys. He savagely searched the desk and yanked open the top desk drawer. He saw his keys and snatched them.

Yongguk walked in with a bag in his hand. “Where you going?” He looked at Himchan.

“Be right back.” He said and rushed downstairs.

A confused expression took over Yongguk’s face. He glanced at the door Himchan had exited and shrugged. “Freak.”

---

Himchan pulled over in front of a large white, apartment complex.

“We’re here.” Yoonmi stated. She unbuckled herself and climbed out of his car.

Himchan gently lifted Hyunseung out of his car seat and handed him to Yoonmi. He pulled out the car seat and set it on the pavement. He shut the car door and looked over at Yoonmi.

She cradled Hyunseung in her arms and softly smiled. “Thank you so much for this, Himchan-ssi. I really appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule.” She bowed her head.

“It was nothing, really.” He said and glanced up at the apartments.

Yoonmi chewed on her bottom lip and looked over at him. “Would you like to come in for a drink, it’s the least I could do.” *Wait! What did I just say?!*

Himchan smiled at her. “I would love to.” Yoonmi brightened. “But unfortunately, I can’t leave my co-worker at the garage for too long. Thank you though.”

“Oh, right.” Yoonmi chuckled, embarrassed. *What did I just say? I embarrass myself.* She inwardly groaned.

Himchan walked towards his car and turned around. “Your car should be ready in three days. Please stop by then.” *Or sooner would be better.* “It was nice meeting you, Yoonmi-ssi.” He waved, hopped into his car and drove off with a final smile.

Yoonmi absent-mindedly waved back with a lop-sided smile. *Bye Himchan-ssi.*

 

Himchan arrived back at the garage and locked his car. He walked into the building and tossed his keys into the drawer. He threw his jacket off and jogged downstairs.

“Where did you go?” Yongguk pushed himself off the wall and crossed his arms over his chest.

Himchan shook his head and chuckled. “None of your business, honey.” He patted his cheek.

Yongguk smirked and raised an eyebrow. “Was it a girl?”

“Pshh.” Himchan pushed Yongguk aside and grabbed his toolbox off the counter.

*It was definitely a girl.* Yongguk smiled and followed Himchan.

---

Exhausted, Yoonmi entered her home and shut the door with her foot. She dropped her purse and kicked her shoes off.

*I want to sleep forever.* She plopped down onto the couch and stretched her lean body.

“There’s the woman of the hour.” A slightly husky, female voice called from the hallway.

Yoonmi opened her eyes and turned her head in the direction towards her best friend. “Where’s my baby?” She sat up and scratched her head. 

Bekah walked towards Yoonmi. “He’s napping. You’re home early today.” She looked at the thin, gold watch on her left wrist.

“Yeaah~” Yoonmi yawned and crossed her legs. “I got to leave work early today.” She smiled and followed Bekah to the door. “Thanks for watching Hyunseung today.” She leaned her head against the door and smiled.

“Anytime. I love him so much!” Bekah exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air. The girls laughed and did their signature handshake. “When is your car ready, by the way?”

“Tomorrow.” Yoonmi replied.*I finally get to see Himchan-ssi tomorrow.* She felt her cheeks grow warm at the thought of him.

Bekah raised an eyebrow and leaned towards Yoonmi. “You’re glowing.” She stated.

Yoonmi jerked her head back. “B-Bwoh?”

A small smirk, tugged her lips upwards. “Who’s the guy?” Bekah interrogated.

“T-There’s no guy, Bekah.” Yoonmi stuttered.

Bekah slung her bag over her shoulder and slid her glasses. “Araso, araso. I’ll see you later.” She waved and headed towards the elevators.

Yoonmi closed the door and leaned her back against it. *Aigoo, she knows me too well.* She inwardly squealed and skipped towards Hyunseung’s bedroom.

---

“Aw .” Himchan growled and rubbed the sore spot on his forehead he had bumped against the hood of a black car he was fixing.

Yongguk chuckled and leaned over the railing. “Car: 1 Himchan: 0.”

Himchan shot him a glare. “Shut up.”

“Maybe if you stopped thinking about your girly friend, you’d be able to concentrate.” Yongguk teased.

*It’s like he can read my mind.* Himchan looked up at Yongguk with wide eyes. Himchan knew Yongguk knew who he was thinking about. Even though Himchan never spoke about Yoonmi, she hadn’t left his mind for the past three days. He kept thinking about her nonstop. His heart fluttered every time she entered his thoughts.

“Yongguk: 1 Himchan: 0.” He held his hands up for emphasis. “You’re a loser, man!” Yongguk’s deep laugh filled the room.

Himchan groaned loudly and ruffled his hair. “Aish!” He shut the hood of the car and wiped his hands with the hankie hanging out of his front pocket. He peeled his shirt off his greasy body and headed towards the employee showers in the back.

 

Yoonmi entered the auto shop and let Hyunseung ring the customer bell. She laughed softly and gave him a high-five.

Yongguk walked in. “Hello. How can I help you?”

“Hi.” Yoonmi bowed her head. “I’m here to pick my car up.”

Yongguk pulled out the shop’s agenda. “Name?”

“Jang Yoonmi.” She replied.

He slightly twitched his eyebrow in recognition. *Is this your future girl, Himchan?* He mentally chuckled to himself. “Your car is, in fact, ready.” He kindly smiled.

Yoonmi paid him the cash and followed him down to the garage. She held Hyunseung’s hand as he hopped from step to step. “Be careful Hyunseung-ah.” She softly chided.

“Is he your kid?” Yongguk glanced at the dark haired child.

“Yes.” Yoonmi smiled, never ashamed that Hyunseung was her son.

Yongguk smiled his gummy smile. “He’s cute.”

“Kahmsahmnida.” Yoonmi the back of Hyunseung’s head.

At that exact moment Himchan walked in with a pink towel around his neck. He spotted Yoonmi and froze. *Holy crap…* She looked beautiful in such casual attire.

Yongguk saw Himchan and beamed. “Ah, there he is. Himchan can explain the repairs done to your car.” He motioned his hand towards his best friend.

Yoonmi turned around and met eyes with Himchan. Himchan’s eyes widened. He ripped the towel off his shoulders and tossed it to the side. Yoonmi chuckled softly while Yongguk rolled his eyes.

“Idiot.” Yongguk whispered. He heard his phone ringing and headed back up. “I’ll leave you two.”

Yoonmi bowed her head and turned her attention towards Himchan. “Annyeonghaseyo Himchan-ssi.” She smiled, happy to see him again.

Himchan stared at her, dazed by her smile. “Oh, yeah.” He raised his hand. *What the hell? What kind of response was that you idiot?* He scorned himself and cleared his throat. “Here are your keys.” He walked over to her car and popped the hood opened.

Yoonmi followed him with Hyunseung closely behind her.

“There was a problem with the radiator. It wasn’t too big of a problem but it’s good that you had it replaced before it could get worse.” He explained.

Yoonmi nodded and smiled. “Thank you so much.”

Himchan felt his heart flutter. He stared deeply into her eyes. “You’re welcome so much.” He sincerely said.

Yoonmi chuckled, making Himchan realize the stupidity he just said. He squeezed his eyes shut and inwardly groaned. *Oh God.*

Yoonmi bit on her thumb, anxiously and shifted her weight to her right leg. “Himchan-ssi?”

His eyes shot open and he locked eyes with Yoonmi and waited for what she would say next. “Would you like to join Hyunseung and me for some ice cream?”

*Did she just…?* Himchan looked down at Hyunseung and then back at Yoonmi’s milky face. Slowly, he nodded and smiled. “I’d love to.”

---

Less than ten minutes later Yoonmi, Himchan and Hyunseung arrived at an ice cream parlor.

Yoonmi had kindly offered to buy Himchan’s in order for her to thank him.

Happily, Hyunseung skipped alongside Yoonmi, his chocolate swirl ice cream cone. Yoonmi took a small bit out of her orange sherbet while Himchan ate spoonfuls of his sundae.

The three of them walked to the nearby park and sat near a large tree. The air was peaceful and breezy.

“Aigoo Hyunseung~ You’re so messy.” Yoonmi clucked her tongue and reached over to wipe the ice cream off his chin.

Himchan intently watched as she carefully wiped her son’s face clean. *Even her side profile is beautiful.* He thought, enthralled by the beauty before him.

A few moments later, Hyunseung finished half of his ice cream and stood up. He handed it to Yoonmi. “I don’t want it anymore.” He made a cute face.

“Can you please go throw it away?” Yoonmi looked up at him.

“Okay~” Hyunseung walked over to the nearest trash can, got on his tippy toes and tossed the ice cream away.

Himchan couldn’t help but chuckle at Hyunseung’s adorableness. Yoonmi clapped her hands and laughed. “Good job, Hyunseung-ah.”

“Can I go on the playground, mommy?” Hyunseung jumped up and down.

Yoonmi nodded. “Stay where I can see you, araso?” She firmly said. Hyunseung nodded and ran off.

Himchan swallowed the ice cream in his mouth and turned to Yoonmi. He glanced at her hand and noticed no ring. *Is she not married…?* His heart inflated with hope. “Hyunseung looks a lot like you.”

Yoonmi’s pink lips curled up into a smile. “A lot of people say that.” Her eyes didn’t leave Hyunseung once. “But I think he looks like his father.”

Himchan nodded and daringly asked, “Where…is his father?”

“He decided one day that he didn’t want to be a father anymore and just left.” She bitterly laughed and met eyes with Himchan. Instantly, he softened and she could what he was thinking. “Don’t give me those eyes. It’s not a big deal.” Yoonmi strongly smiled. “Stop looking~” She lightly pushed his shoulder.

The aura around them felt so comfortable that Yoonmi felt natural around him. Himchan laughed and brought his knees up towards his chest.

“Would you like to try some?” Himchan held his sundae out to her.

Yoonmi nodded and took the spoon. She took a small bite and handed it back to him. “It’s delicious!” She smiled.

Himchan smiled back and finished the rest of his sundae. Finished he tossed his and Yoonmi’s trash away. He returned to his spot and sank onto the grass with a satisfied sigh.

“So Yoonmi-ssi, tell me about yourself.” Himchan leaned back on his hands and crossed his ankles.

Yoonmi crossed her legs and sat up. “Uhm…I’m a teacher, I have a three-year-old son, I love to bake and…yeah…” She shyly laughed. “What about you Himchan-ssi?”

Himchan jutted his lips out and sat up a little straighter. “Well, I’ve been working at the auto shop for about four years now, I have a sister, oh, and I’m a total book worm.”

Hyunseung came running over and stumbled into Himchan’s chest. Himchan caught his torso and held him steady. “Woah buddy.”

“I found this for you.” Hyunseung held his little palm out, revealing a small red rock.

Himchan took it from his palm and examined it. “Whaa! This is for me? Thank you!” He beamed.

Hyunseung smiled widely. “I’ll find you more!” He ran off towards the playground.

Yoonmi watched in awe. “He’s usually never this open with other people.”

Himchan looked over at her and smiled. “Well I got myself a new rock.” He tossed it up in the air, caught it and put it in his pocket.

Yoonmi laughed at Himchan’s silliness. She looked up at the sky and sighed in content. Himchan watched her and felt elated. “Let’s thumb wrestle.” He held his thumb out.

She laughed. “I’ve been told I have strong thumbs. Prepare to lose Himchan-ssi.”

“Please, call me Himchan or oppa if you’d like.” He softly said.

“You’re older than me?” Yoonmi tilted her head to the side, genuinely curious. 

Himchan looked at her and sat up all the way. “H-How old are you?” He asked as politely as he could.

“I turned twenty-five this year.” Yoonmi replied.

*TWENTY-FIVE?!* Himchan’s eyes widened. *SHE’S MY NOONA!*

Yoonmi giggled at his expression. “Wae? Are you creeped out that you’re with an old lady?” She joked.

Himchan shook his head. “N-No! You just…you look so young.” He whispered.

“Thank you~” Yoonmi shyly smiled and chewed on her bottom lip.

“Yoonmi noona.” Himchan felt his lips tingling when he said that. He smiled and looked Yoonmi in the eyes. “I like the sound of that.” He leaned closer to her.

Yoonmi felt herself scoot closer as well. The way he was looking down at her made thousands of butterflies burst in her tummy. 

Their lips were centimeters away when Hyunseung shouted, “Mommy! Mommy! Look!”

Yoonmi and Himchan whipped their heads to the side. They saw Hyunseung waving his hands from the top of the slide.

Himchan chuckled and waved back. Yoonmi smiled brightly and sent Hyunseung a kiss.

Yoonmi felt eyes on her and turned her head towards Himchan. He was smiling down at her. She returned the smile and curled her hair behind her ear.

---

Ever since Himchan had joined Yoonmi and Hyunseung for ice cream the three of them had been inseparable. Himchan spent a lot of his free time with them. Hyunseung had grown accustomed to playing with Himchan and even called him ‘daddy’ every now and then. Yoonmi loved that Hyunseung had another male in his life. The few months that had passed had been perfectly perfect.

Except for the fact that Himchan and Yoonmi hadn’t confessed their feeling for each other.

It was a snowy, winter night. Yoonmi was preparing pumpkin lattes in the kitchen when the doorbell rang. She put the wooden spoon down and headed towards the door. She pulled the door open and smiled up at her guest.

“Hi Yoonmi noona.” Himchan gave her a charming smile.

She almost melted into a puddle. “Hi Himchan.” She stepped back and let him enter.

Himchan closed the door behind him and slipped his shoes off. He hung his marshmallow coat on a hanger and followed Yoonmi into the kitchen. “Mmm! Smells good!” He exclaimed.

“I’m making lattes.” Yoonmi smiled.

“Where’s Hyunseung?” Himchan asked, walking around the counter to stand next to her.

Yoonmi added a sprinkle of cinnamon to the mix. “He’s with my parents.”

“But I brought his favorite milk.” Himchan pouted and put the bag in the fridge.

Yoonmi chuckled. “All done!” She brought out two mugs and carefully poured the lattes. She handed one to Himchan and watched as he took his first sip. “How is it?!”

Himchan made a face and Yoonmi frowned. “I’m just kidding. It’s delicious!” He held his thumb up.

“Aigoo~” Yoonmi pushed Himchan’s forehead and walked out into the living room.

Smirking, Himchan followed after her and threw his arms around her waist, lifting her up off the ground. Yoonmi squealed and kicked her legs. “Yah! Kim Himchan! Put me down!”

Himchan loved the sound of her laughter. He smiled big and dropped her on the couch. Yoonmi quickly scrambled onto her knees and glared up at Himchan. Himchan zoomed his face in so that their noses were touching. Yoonmi held her breath as her hear pounded loudly in her chest.

“Why did you close your eyes, Yoonmi noona?” Himchan teased.

Yoonmi opened her eyes to see him staring at her, expectantly. “Aish.” She grabbed a cushion and threw it at his face. Himchan caught it and threw it back at her, bonking her on the face. “Yah!” Yoonmi shouted.

Himchan walked by, sticking his tongue out at her. 

Yoonmi grabbed a bigger cushion and threw it at the back of his head. Himchan froze and turned around. Yoonmi squealed and ran towards her bedroom.

Himchan darted after her and chased her into her walk-in closet. Yoonmi hid herself in the corner. Himchan looked around, searching for her. When his back was to her, Yoonmi stood up and quietly tip-toed towards the door. Himchan spotted her and picked her up bridal style.

“Himchan!” Yoonmi shrieked with laughter.

Himchan threw Yoonmi on her bed, falling on top of her. He got on his knees and tickled her sides. “N-NO!” Yoonmi bit on her bottom and broke out into another round of laughter. Himchan’s heart began to beat a little faster when he saw her smile.

He stopped tickling her and planted his hands on either side of her head. Yoonmi regained composure and wiped a tear from the corner of her eye. She looked up and locked eyes with Himchan. She felt as though her heart would jump out of her chest any moment now.

Himchan lowered himself and lightly touched his nose against Yoonmi’s. His hot breath hit her lips. Yoonmi traced her hands up his toned arms. Himchan looked Yoonmi straight in the eyes and gently pecked her lips.

Yoonmi blinked, shocked by the sudden action. Himchan traced his nose across her jaw line and down her neck. He was so closely pressed against her that she could smell his Armani cologne. It sent her a little over the edge.

A gasp emitted from her lips when she felt Himchan press his lips against her neck. She wrapped her legs around his waist and turned his face towards her. Yoonmi pulled his face down and captured his lips.

Himchan’s head spun as Yoonmi’s lips perfectly meshed with his. Her lips were soft and warm, just like her. His tongue ran across her bottom lip, parting them. Yoonmi let Himchan’s hot tongue invade and take dominance.

Yoonmi felt her lungs burn from the lack of oxygen but deepened the kiss. She wounded her arms around his neck and played with his soft, black hair.

Slowly, Himchan pulled away, releasing her bottom lip from between his teeth. He looked into Yoonmi’s eyes and melted. The way she was looking up at him sent him wild. He placed another kiss on her swollen lips and breathed against her ear, “I’ll have you screaming ‘oppa.’”