Hard Times Chapter Three

Hard Times

Three months later, and once I had finally completed my correspondence course, I took my chances and wrote to my father's aunt in Seoul. I asked is we could stay. Aunt Seohyun wrote back by return saying she was delighted to have us. We left the following week.

Aunt Seohyun welcomed us with open arms and cared for us as if we were her own children. It wasn't long before I started to see a little of the old Lily return, through not enough to put me completely at ease, But time is a great healer, and I hoped that this loving home was all it would take.

I immediately began looking for a secretarial position. Although I started out with confidence, it soon became evident that my lack of experience, my broad Busan accent and my unsophiscated ways would not secure me work, I thought of cutting my hair into a bob, wearing make up and purchasing silk stockings by selling some of my mother's jewellery, but the thought of taking such a drastic step horrified me. 

However, I certainly didn't want Lily and I to be a burden on Aunt Seohyun, who had just retired from working at the candle factory in Incheon, so I decided I would take anything that came my way and began trying to luck at department stores and shops, but no-one was interested in hiring time. 

Finally I managed to acquire a position at the candle factory myself, and it helped Lily and me to pay our way.

I was on my way home from the factory one evening when I noticed newspaper on the seat beside me. It was the "Seoul Observer", left there by some traveller. 

Thinking perhaps fate was giving me nudge, I scoured the employment page. Tucked at the bottom of a column, a position caught my eye.

"Aunt Seohyun," I said as soon as I got home "I've seen an advertisement for a position in a solicitor's office in Seoul. What do you think?"

One of the things I loved about Aunt Seohyun was her positive look. 

"What have you got to lose?" she asked. "I would be sorry to see you go, but you have to move where there is suitable work. I don't like it one bit that you're still at that factory. I was glad enough to get out of here myself."

Aunt Seohyun didn't have a telephone so I wrote to Seoul Solicitors that evening and was surprised Mr. Jung wrote back quickly, calling me for an interview. I spoke up to my sister about my impending trip. 

"Lily, I have to leave you here with Aunt Seohyun so that I can go for an interview in Seoul. I'll be back in a couple of days, though, I promise."

"Please don't leave me, Gayun. Please...." she begged.

"You said you would never leave me. Tell Gayun to take me with her, Aunt Seohyun."

One look at my sister's tears was enough for Aunt Seohyun.

"Take her," she advised "Think of what she's been through. A week of two off school won't harm her and it's best she stays with you. See if you can find suitable work. It's a busy port and mayhap you'll be lucky. I'll give you what money I can to help you out."

I was about to protest when Aunt Seohyun held up her hand.

"Hush now. You know I never had children of my own. It does my old heart good to be able to help my nephrew;s children on their way in life. These few months you've spent with me have been a joy. Come back if you don't get a position. You'll always be welcome here in my home."