BaekYeol

wishes and casualties

 

Wishes of Folly

BaekYeol

(Baekhyun and Chanyeol)

 

“That one looks like a bunny rabbit. Look.” Chanyeol pointed to one particular cloud up on the blue sky.

Baekhyun fought the urge to roll his eyes at this ridiculous display of childishness. They had been at this for quite a while now and he could name a thousand other activities he’d rather be doing this instant.

Like getting a cavity filled, for example.

Or changing the tires of his car.

They were both lying on their backs on the cool meadow, under the shelter of the huge tree. There was distance between their bodies but they weren’t too far from each other either.

“Do you see it? There’s the bushy tail and its two long ears.” the taller one continued, his long arm still outstretched, carefully tracing the outline up at the sky.

His mouth was turned up into a delighted smile and his eyes spoke of endless wonder.

Baekhyun couldn’t help but ask himself if his annoyance about the whole thing was because of the never ending inanities of the boy beside him or the fact that the same guy can easily find happiness in every little thing that comes his way.

He tells himself that it’s definitely the former because otherwise, that would mean he is envious of Chanyeol.

And besides, even if he is, it is something that he never, in this life, would admit.

 Not to Chanyeol or to anyone.

Or even himself.

Especially himself, he regretfully amends.

Since he had been indulging in this nonsense for the past hour, Baekhyun decided he might as well go all the way.

So with great hesitation, he turned his attention to the cloud in question. He stared at it for almost a full minute, trying to make out the ridiculous figure Chanyeol was suggesting.

He saw nothing.

“It’s a simple cloud. Fluffy and annoying.” he decreed.

 Chanyeol slowly craned his neck to turn to him. His wide smile was still intact because he notes that despite Baekhyun’s words, there was no venom in his voice, no spitefulness. There hadn’t been for a long time now. Baekhyun has changed, is still changing and he toys with the idea that maybe, just maybe, he’s the one responsible for it.

The notion makes a pleasant little flutter inside of him and he contentedly refocuses his gaze back at the clouds before he speaks. “How can something so wonderful be annoying to you?”

Baekhyun decided to ignore the question. “What part of this cloud-watching is supposed to help me relax?”

“The part where you lighten up to actually appreciate what you see.”

“What? Like that “bunny rabbit”?” Baekhyun replied sarcastically. He couldn’t help it. He doesn’t like it when Chanyeol goes all philosophical on him.

No, he inwardly corrects himself again.

He doesn’t like it when Chanyeol is right.

The other boy merely persisted. “So you see it now? The bunny?”

A frustrated sigh came naturally to Baekhyun. “I hate this.”

“Then tell me one thing you don’t hate.” Chanyeol was looking at him now with expectant eyes and Baekhyun wonders why they’re even friends.

But now that he has framed the question inside his head, it sounds ridiculous; like it doesn’t even need to be answered.

And the disquieting thought just makes him wonder why.

Ever since Chanyeol stepped into his life, he had always been overwhelmed with questions he couldn’t, for the life of him, answer.

The silence that follows is a reprieve and he grudgingly allows himself to think that he very much likes it when Chanyeol does not rush him for answers.

When he doesn’t hover and simply lets him be.

In fact, there were a lot of things he liked about the tall boy.

When he finally answers, Baekhyun keeps his gaze trained on the sky above but he could not help the content smile on his face.

 

“I don’t hate you.”