When I Was Your Man

When I Was Your Man

"What ever happened to you and her?"

"Her?"

"You know, you and your ex?"

"Oh...my ex."

It was weird for him to hear that. His ex. Just thinking of her made him cringe with regret. He should've treated her better, but he was too stubborn and prideful to change his behavior towards her.

"We just...had a lot of disagreements," he replied, taking a sip of the glass of beer in front of him.

As the bitter liquid slid down his throat, he suddenly didn't feel like drinking anymore. Or talking for that matter.

He left a bill on the table and turned to his friends. "I'm gonna head home. I'm not feeling so great."

"Really? Will you be okay with getting home by yourself?"

He nodded and left the bar. He could feel his heart breaking again as he made his way to the door.

He sighed when his alarm woke him up. Their song was playing softly, but she was no longer there to hear it play.

Getting up, he pressed the "off" button and went back to his bed. It was still the same one, but the space where two people barely fit before seemed so much bigger then.

A half-hearted laugh filled the room at his sudden realization. He never really knew what he lost until she was gone. It took him so long to realize that. That and so much more.

Like how he should’ve bought her flowers just because. Or held her hand more often because he could. Or just put more effort and hours into their relationship when he had the chance.

All these missed opportunities seemed to fill the empty space beside him. And he’d never get these opportunities again.

He dug the heels of his palms into his eyes to try and staunch the tears. His throat clenched at the thought of her with someone else.

If he knew how things would’ve played out, he would’ve changed it before it could happen. He would’ve fixed things so that she wouldn’t be with someone else. So that she would only rely on him.

BIting his lip, he sighed and turned over. There wouldn’t be another chance for him. He wouldn’t even be able to tell her how sorry he was. For being a terrible boyfriend, for being lazy, for making all the mistakes he made.

He was the one who screwed up.

His second alarm went off and once again, he sighed.

Whoever she would end up with, he hoped the best for them. He hoped that the other man would buy her flowers just because, hold her hand because he could, and put all the effort and hours into their relationship when he had the chance.

Shoving himself off his bed, he prayed that her special someone would do all the things he should’ve, when he was her man.