Kwon Rovina (An Introduction)

The Idol Shrink

 

“Oh My God, seriously, get a life all of you!” Seyoung flipped through Rovina’s calendar, checking out all her appointments. Hour after hour, Rovina had a patient.

 

Rovia snatched the calendar from her best friend and eyed her, “Hands off my work stuff.”

 

Seyoung rolled over the bed twice before dropping her head on her best friend’s lap, “Come on, Ro…one outing with this cute girl?” Seyoung gave her a cute pout first but Rovina only sighed, “Pretty please with a cherry on top?”

 

Rovina pushed her away and got up, checking her watch, “I need to go now. Need to be in office in half an hour.” She took out a leather jacket from her closet, wore it and then put on a light shade of lipstick. She pulled her bag over her shoulder and waved goodbye to her, “Bye. See you at night.”

 

Before Seyoung could say bye, her phone rang and then she got busy on it, “Hi babe…no I’m free today. Rovina, you’re oh so favorite shrink, has ditched me.”

 

“I prefer being called a psychiatrist,” Rovina popped a nerve at Seyoung who rolled her eyes, and continued talking to her boyfriend, “Not that you care…” Rovina walked out, grabbing her car keys.

 

 

My name is Kwon Rovina.

 

 

Rovina drove to her office, with rock music blaring through her car speakers and sang along, making sure her eyes were on the road, and her mind was muti tasking while keeping track of her schedule when suddenly her phone rang, “Hello?”

 

“Rovina, where are you?” Mi-rae secretary suddenly let out a yelp through the phone and Rovina cringed as she parked her car and quickly turned the volume to her music off, “I’m in the parking lot. Stop screaming.”

 

“Well, your nine o’clock is here and she doesn’t seem very happy,” her secretary replied in her ever so shrill voice but in a sort of whisper. Rovina could already imagine herself under the microscope of her big doe eyes and cringed, “Mrs. Kim is already there? But there’s still five minutes to nine.”

 

“Well, she’s meticulous…one of the reasons why she’s your patient, you know,” her secretary answered in an obvious tone and she sighed, “Well, tell her I’m coming up the lift now,” Rovina said as she hurried into the lift and pressed the button ‘6’ that made way to her office floor.

 

 

I am a 24 year old psychiatrist.

 

 

“Mrs. Kim, I am so sorry I made you wait…I ran into bad traffic…you know how it gets as we get out of Gangnam,” she quickly threw her belongings  behind her deak and took her place as her client watched her relaxed on the couch, “I do. It’s fine.”

 

“Now,” she smiled warmly at the middle aged lady, “Let’s start, shall we.”

 

 

I am a half Korean half Japanese and partly English single child to my parents. I grew up in Korea and completed my degree and field work in London and returned to Korea last year where I got a job at a reputed firm.

 

 

 

“So how are things going with your husband? Are you two enjoying each other’s company more?” Rovina asked her patient, who sat there, with a tissue in her hand and then wiped her nose, “Yes and No…he’s coming home late at nights…sometimes drunk.”

 

“Does he hurt you?”

 

“Not really. He’s so drunk, he just goes to sleep,” she looked at Rovina and Rovina continued making notes, “I see.”

 

“More of less, it’s like he isn’t even there anymore! All day he’s at the office, then he’ll go off and party somewhere with his office friends and come back home late at night. It’s like he’s not the same guy I married anymore,” the lady blew her nose once again and wept in front of her, “When did you two get married?”

 

“Five years ago, right after high school. He proposed to me…he said he couldn’t wait anymore. He was so dreamy back then…” the lady soon got lost into her memory lane and Rovina smiled, “So, tell me. What was he like back then? What made you think he was dreamy?”

 

“His face, his smile, his height, the way he made a slam dunk during a match, then smiled at me. The way he’d pout while concentrating on some stupid school report…everything. He was just so…so perfect,” the lady had stopped crying, and had discarded the tissue, “I remember how we practiced, while I was busy with gymnastics, he’d be in the next court, practicing with his team.”

 

“Gymnastics? Wow…you both come from a sports school?”

 

“Not just any school, the best in South Korea, Maritime Int. High,” the lady’s eyes twinkled as she flaunted her education at Rovina and Rovina continued making notes, “After marriage, you left doing it? Gymnastics, I mean?”

 

“Not really. I did it through college for two- three years, but then house work came up and it just stopped,” she sighed and then Rovina kept her handunder her chin, crossing her legs, “Tell me about Gymnastics. How did it feel to do it?”

 

“Magical. To be able to twist your body here and there, throw yourself from one bar to another…it was like being in a circus. I’ve always loved Circus…they’re magical, aren’t they?”

 

“They are,” Rovina smiled and then noticed that she had only three minutes left of that session, “You know, for today I advice you to do something you haven’t done for a while. Something where your heart gets caught up…go to the gym…do a little gymnastics. Maybe you’d be able to touch your roots.”

 

“Would that be fine?” the lady asked, a bit concerned while looking at her body, “I mean, it’s been two years…”

 

“So what? It’s never too late to do something you find magical,” Rovina smiled warmly at her patient and she nodded slightly when suddenly the bell went with a ‘ting’ sound and Rovina sighed, “Well, that’s the end of our session, see you next week.”

 

“Bye Doctor.”

 

 

Ever since I was young, I loved listening to people talk. Whether it was their problems, or some sort of lame gossip, I was always enjoying it. I loved listening. And then when I was fifteen, I decided I wanted to be a psychiatrist. Well, it was more like my friends telling me I could totally be one. At first it was a laughable subject but then after a little counseling I got serious about it.

 

Being able to solve people’s problems, seemed a bit hard at first, but as I made my way through my education I understood the small tricks to it.

 

 

 

“Wow, it’s been a long, long day,” Rovina said as she picked up her things and looked at Mi-rae, her secretary, “I’m off for lunch, take my calls, and tell them they won’t find me until four,” Rovina pulled her jacket on and then Mi-rae looked at her bewildered, “Two hours? Where are you going for two hours?”

 

“I need to go get some personal work done. Plus, I have grocery shopping to do. You know that lavish apartment in Gangnam doesn’t replenish itself,” Rovina walked off to the lift and was soon away from her office.

 

First, she grabbed some ‘to go’ lunch and then hurried off to the departmental store while checking her watch, “I have only one hour.”

 

She took out a list from her bag and then grabbed a trolley and began putting stuff into it. As she stood in front of the cooking section where they kept the spices and sauces, she first felt a tug and then a dead weight dropped on top of her. She let out a small yelp before she looked up to see a man on top of her, his eyes closed, “Get off me.”

 

The man did not respond, but only a fruity smell reached her nose, something like tangerine. There was a sort of commotion around them, as she felt the man being lifted off of her and then noticed the men who held him. They were all dressed in large jackets and scarves covering their faces till their noses. She cocked an eyebrow and one of them helped her, “We’re so sorry! We’re so sorry!”

 

She rubbed the back of her head, getting rid of the pain and then nodded, “It’s okay. But..” she examined the man who had fallen on her. He was resting on two of the four other guys, “Is he alright? He seems out?”

 

“Our hyung is not…umm…well,” one of them struggled with his Korean and then she noticed anotherthing. An aura. They stood in a line, literally radiating, “We’re so sorry.”

 

She noticed one of them whispering something to the other’s ear and the other one nodded. They seemed so strange.

 

“It’s okay. But you should get him to a doctor. Do you want me to call one?” she pulled her phone out, but then all retaliated, “No! No! It’s fine. We’re taking him there. Now!”

 

“Are you sure…?” she asked a bit unsure.

 

“Yea, we’re hundred percent sure,” they walked off quickly, more like dashed off noticing that they had garnered more attention than needed, ‘What a crazy bunch of people…’ she muttered to herself and then turned to the aisle to pick whatever she needed when something sort of screeched under her foot.

 

She looked down, bewildered, and found a tiny chain like bracelet lying there. She picked it up and thought back a few minutes and realized that it must have fallen from one of the boys. She looked towards the door, and noticed that they had already gone, “Now what do I do with this?”

 

Suddenly her phone rang and she answered, “Rovina,” it was her lovely panicky secretary Mi-rae, “Yes, Mi-rae?”

 

Mi-rae replied in a hushed tone, “There are three men standing here…they want to meet you. Now.”

 

“Tell them I am busy. Can’t meet until four,” she sighed, repeating the instructions she had given her secretary had hour ago but Mi-rae seemed to have forgotten, “I know! I know! But I’m pretty sure one of them is the famous singer J.Y. Park.”

 

Rovina rolled her eyes and sighed, “There is no way that J.Y. Park would come there. Look--”

 

“They have the boss’s personal recommendation letter,” at that, Rovina was shocked, “You need to prioritize you’re stuff, Mi-rae.”

 

“Well, are you coming now?”

 

“Look…” she looked down at her incomplete shopping list and sighed, “I’ll be there in ten. Keep them seated and ask them for a drink or something.”

 

“Fine. Hurry,” her secretary gave her another panicky whisper. Sometimes Rovina wondered if she needed to council her own helping hand.

 

Quickly as she could, she paid for her things and rushed back to her office. Now getting the boss’s personal recommendation letter was a rare thing for the people working for this firm. To be honest, she wondered if anyone ever had gotten one. Maybe she was the lucky one.

 

As she trotted out of the lift, she spotted Mi-rae pacing in front of her office, “Where are they?”

 

“In your office,” she pointed at the closed door, “Offered them coffee…nothing else here, rememeber.”

 

“It’s fine. Just go back and rest. I’ll handle the rest.”

 

Rovina opened the door to her office and then took a deep breadth. It wasn;t that she was never, heck Rovina was never nervous, she was just a bit faced paced wondering who could it be, in her office at this time.

 

“Sorry, to keep you waiting, gentlemen,” she confidently walked in, pulling on her poker face, “My name’s Rovina Kwon. I hear you wished to see me?” the three men got up from the couch and shook their hands with her simultaneously introducing themselves, “I’m Lee Soo Man.”

 

“J.Y Park.”

 

“Yang Hyun-suk.”

 

She nodded with a small smile and then the person who introduced himself as Lee Soo Man, spoke, “We’re the big three.”

 

 

 

Humans are such interesting creatures. There are so many marvelous things in this universe and humans are so amazing, that they managed to invent boredom.

 

 

 

“So, what do such well established music industrialist want from me?” Rovina asked, seated behind her desk, wondering what was going on with them. Lee Soo Man pulled out a file from his briefcase and kept it on the desk, “This is an agreement.”

 

“An agreement? For what, exactly?” she opened the file and read its contents before arching an eyebrow, when Yang Hyun-suk spoke, “All the renowned company heads have agreed on this. You can see their signatures as well, on the next page.”

 

Ro flipped the page once, but went back to first, “You want me to…”

 

“Play psychiatrist,” said J.Y. Park.

 

“For our idols,” continued Lee Soo Man.

 

 

 

Have you ever wondered why a person decides to kill? Or maybe leave his bad ways, and take the saints road? Humans have the power of free will. They can steer themselves in any direction they chose. They need a little guidance at times, but they will work their way through any situations. Sometimes these situations become problems to others.

 

 

 

“We’ll pay you whatever you ask for,” Lee Soo Man said with confidence.

 

“How many idols to be exact?”

 

“Thousands…” JYP said without thinking and Rovia just nodded.

 

“So like, singular therapy sessions or group?”

 

“Both.”

 

Rovina let out a very deep sigh and then blinked once, then twice at the three men, all four sharing a poker face. She noticed JYP breaking a slight sweat and then kept the file down, “I’ll take 4 grand.”

 

“For every month, great,” Lee Soo Man, smiled.

 

“No,” Rovina looked at him blankly and then smiled faintly, “Every session.”

 

There was again an awkward silence between them all and then YG sighed, “Deal.”

 

“Fine,” she finally smiled and signed the contract, “This contract states that you shall keep every session a secret, no matter what happen, even if your own mother asks for a little information you shall not let it slip. Even if your life depends on it.”

 

“Hmm,” she nodded slightly.

 

“If you breach this contract in any manner, you shall be fined with 10 million dollars and will face a lawsuit so dread that your whole career shall crumble to less than silt,” Lee Soo Man spoke with a very serious hevy tone.

 

Rovina looked up, the three noticing her expression change to a very serious one, “Mr. Soo Man, you don’t need to threaten me with your lawsuit lines. I’ve heard them many times. As for the 10 million dollar penalty, doesn’t scare me. I belong to a very rich family.I can pay you 100 million dollars without a blink.”

 

The three men gaped at her as she spoke, “What I want from my employers is full confidence in my work. I don’t like being doubted and I certainly would not appreciate any sniffing around my office or my personal life. Are we clear?”

 

“Yes,” the nodded in unison.

 

“Oh! and one more thing,” she finally sat back, a bit relaxed, “I’ll bring my secretary with me. She takes 5 grand a week.”

 

 

 

I have always been a curious person. I wanted to know what went on in the minds of humans beings, what kind of event made them do the things they did. What triggers some sort of reaction, or emotion.

Humans are the most interesting species amongst this universe.

And I was about to face the most problematic type of humans. The ones who were constantly on an emotional roller coaster.

My name is  Kwon Rovina.

And this…is my story.

 

 

__________________________

 

Like it! comment!