o n e || What if?

What if 60 seconds is all I need for this story?

 

 

Picture me on one knee
With the perfect diamond ring
We just met, but if you say "yes"
We'd have our wedding on the beach
It could happen, raise three kids
And grow old so happily
I know this may sound crazy
Cause you don't know my name

 

 


 

1.

 

 

It is a bright afternoon. The sun is high up in the sky with its rays stretching widely; warming everything under its light or at least, everything under that part of the world where the vast, open field only relied to little amout of trees as a shade from its heat. Faint sounds of birds chirping, ice cream truck song playing and children's laughter filled the air making the ambiance more serene and relaxing. It's a typical summer morning and just the perfect day to unwind, take a stroll around and in your case, take Mogu- your two year old Bearded Collie for a walk at the nearby park from your apartment.

 

You breathed deeply as a cold breeze in the middle of a hot afternoon in mid-summer brushed against your skin, giving you a soothing sensation all throughout that you can't help but smile to yourself. The floral skirt you're wearing swayed gently in synchronization with the wind and so as your brunette colored locks that reached up to your waist. Your eyes wandered around and it automatically landed on a bunch of little kids running around with if not toy cars or dolls, a pail full of sand in their hands while laughing melodiously.

 

You are never fond of little ones, honestly. But you don't hate them neither. In fact, you find watching them play fascinating. There's always something about their carefree movements, harmonious giggles and blissful expressions that lighten up your mood as well. They always seem to be enjoying every bits about life like they have nothing to worry about which is partly true and look as if the world is nothing but a beautiful place; a fairytale, even; the exact opposite of the considered reality and outlook in life for most grown-ups. At times like that you wish you could be a kid once again and rather feel the sting when you skinned your knee that would only last not more than a week rather than the pain of a matured heart knowing that life could most of the times be unfair and cruel.

 

After a few more minutes of enjoying the scenery, you were startled by Mogu's barking and sudden scurrying that you could do nothing but clutch to his tie tighter and follow him until he'd stop that you figured wouldn't be anytime soon as he's constantly sniffing the ground and increasing his pace with his four little feet once in a while to which the destination is yet unknown to you. After a while of being pulled and tugged, he came to a halt and so you did. You were about to scold him for behaving that way when all your irritation and plans of supposedly bawling over your sometimes cute but mostly pesky pet all vanished when a beautiful creature caught your eyes.

 

 

 

Several feet away from you, there, he sits alone on the bench; a book on one hand and a tall glass of what you assumed is an ice frappe on the other while peacefully reading a book. He's wearing a simple stripe shirt and white skinny jeans with a beats headphone wrapped around his neck and it stunned you because never in your life you saw a guy looking that gorgeous in just a simple clothing. His angelic face shone even brighter with the sun's light hitting all the right angles making him more handsome than you are sure he already is.

 

It's actually funny how things worked like in the movies that moment. Time stopped, your breathing hitched and it seemed like all things just got into slow motion that in your eyes, everything else was a blur and he's the only left who is in full color.

Needless to say, you were, right then and there, was swept off your feet.

 

You stood still for a few moments contemplating whether you should move forward and sit next to him; say hi and hope he'd take it from there or you'd just chicken out like you usually does and walk away praying there would be another chance you'd cross paths again. But as you stepped backward attempting to turn your heels and leave, a part in your heart and mind stopped you. From the second you laid eyes on him, you know he's not just like those random cute guys you encountered before that doesn't matter if you see them again or not. He's much more special and knowing that some oportunities just happens once in a lifetime, you chose the first.

So with a wildly thumping heart that you fear it would even jump out from your ribcage, you took small steps with Mogu trailing behind. But before that, you glanced at your watch because, well, it's weird but you have the habit of marking the time and date when something peculiar in a good way happens and it reads 8:41 a.m.

 

Sluggishly, you took the seat next to him in a manner that two persons could fit between you two but even so, at least you got closer. In fact, your nostrils even caught his scent and it is a husky oriental wood fragrance with a touch of vanilla- your surprisingly favorite type of perfume albeit you're a girl. You're not the tomboyish type but neither the all girly that takes everything sweet and cute looking to your liking.

You bit your lip as not knowing what to do, you just looked down and fidgeted with your thumb, stealing glimpses of him once in a while and boy, he never failed to take your breath away everytime you do.

 

Minutes that seemed like hours passed and you stayed still, not knowing how to initiate the conversation and he also look so absorbed with his book that to him, nothing else also existed or so you thought because on the other side of the story, the presence of a beautiful lady beside him is not totally unknown but like you, he was also feeling shy to make the first move although he is the guy.

 

Good thing was that Mogu, although caused you a lot of head aches for the past two years since you adopted him, did something great that time. He wiggled his tail and approached the stranger beside you which is very unusual of him to do. He barked cunningly and this caught the guy's attention that he put down his book and looked at the Bearded Collie with a quizzical stare, wondering why the dog is doing that and even in a friendly manner. You were also stunned at first and momentarily embarrassed with your pets action that you stood up, scooped the little dog and cradled him in your arms.

 

“I'm sorry if he bothered you.” You apologized followed by a slight but still polite bow. The stranger that looks oddly familiar now that you got to see him face to face dazzlingly smiled, showing his pearly whites and you swear you felt your heart skip a beat.

 

“It's okay.” He answered coolly as he also stood up, not removing his gaze away from you while you could only stare back and get drowned to his expressive, carbon colored eyes that you know you'd never get tired looking at even for a whole day straight. They were simply beautiful; doe like that you would even think he's not a Korean at all as it's unusually large in size but undeniably a very attractive asset of his and matched up well with his other fine features.

You were then snapped out of your daze when he fakely coughed and spoke again, his next words made the butterflies in your stomach swoon violently in a way you could have squealed like a crazy SHINee fan-girl that you always were everytime you watch their mvs and that one time you got to see them perform live.

 

 

 

“Hi.” He said as he offered his hand for a shake where things between you two fundamentally started.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I'm Kyung Soo.”

 

 


 

 

 

 

“Sun Mi! How many times do I have to say that texting during working hours is prohibited?!” Yeon Ra, the manager of the cafe' you are working at as a barista and cashier hissed as she crossed her arms sharply while throwing daggers at the cellular phone at your hand.

 

You gave her a sheepish smile as you bowed. “I'm sorry.” You whispered then tucked the gadget back at your pocket before turning around to resume your job of wiping some glasses clean.

 

“Aish woman, be thankful we're best friends outside this working environment because if not! Argh, why is everything so disordered and dirty?!” She chided as she stomped her way to the kitchen to probably scold the chef about the wrong order delivered that she couldn't stop ranting about, her voice fading as she walked away while you could only chuckle and shake your head.

 

Song Yeon Ra, believe it or not is actually your best friend and the only loyal one you have since you moved to Seoul. It just so happens that she's also your boss and being the professional she always is, she separates her personal life from her job thus forgetting the fact that your best buddies once you enter the cafe'. She's some sort of a perfectionist and gets pissed off easily that's why simple mistakes she see would make her nag you for the next hours or so but nevertheless, that girl loves you and treats you like a real sister once the working shift is over. It's just that she's really strict to the other employees and doesn't want to be biased so she treats everyone fairly even if that means shouting at each one of you several times a day even for really simple and lame reasons.

 

Actually, you didn't really intended to use your phone during working hours resulting for your best friend whom you know was also restless from the pressures of being a manager and handling complaints almost everyday to have another outburst. You just forgot to change your phone's profile to silent and when someone texted, it vibrated. You ignored it at first but it was like a spam that your phone kept on jiggling in your pocket so you decided to check on it.

Turned out, it was Kyung Soo saying stuffs like:

 

“Hey, this is Kyung Soo. The guy from the park, remember?”

“Um, could you perhaps text me back even once? Just to let me know I got the right number.”

 

And he sent those same messages almost twenty times. Irritating, it should be. But for someone like Kyung Soo, you found it real cute. Besides, it was like a dream come true when he actually made an effort to text you because it was just when you got home that day after visiting the park and checked on the internet that you learned that the reason why he looked so familiar is because he's a member of the rookie boy group called Exo. You just remembered because you saw a poster of them a few months back while walking along a street in Gangnam. It's not like you're living under a rock or something that you didn't know but you were always busy with working to make ends meet that stuffs such as kpop and internet was never your thing. Truly, the only kpop groups that perked up your interest was TVXQ and SHINee that you didn't have any idea of the newly debuted ones like Exo.

 

You were then dragged back to the reality when the door opened and some customers walked in. You completely forgot about him as you focused on your work solely.

 

 

 

 

Another exhausting day was over and you tiredly walked to your apartment situated in a humble street in Seoul. Reaching the fourth floor where your unit is located, you rummaged through your bag and sighed in relief when you found your key there. Shoving it inside the key hole, you opened the door once you heard the clicking sound. You found your apartment dark, the usual you go home to, with the moon's light penetrating through the window folds making you able to find the light switch faster. It's dead silent like the common as if you were the only living soul there is.

 

Just when you were about to switch the lights on, Mogu came running towards you with its tail wiggling cheerfully like always. You squatted down as you carried him with a smile and finally turning on the lights, you placed him on the kitchen and poured on his plate the dog food you bought earlier. While he is blissfully nibbling on his meal, you walked to your bedroom to change. As you passed by the living room, you realized your apartment that you took as your residence and basically, your home for the past three years need some serious cleaning up.

 

*This Saturday I have a day-off. That would do.* You thought as you opened your cabinet containing a few pair of clothes and took out a yellow wife-beater and some sweat pants as the night is warm to cover up. Besides, it's a pretty decent sleep wear for someone like you who basically lives alone. Just then, your phone rang.

No longer glancing at the caller Id, you promptly answered assuming it's Yeon Ra checking if you got home safe like she does every night.

 

“I'm home alre-”

 

“Sun Mi?” You were cut off when a not so familiar voice of a guy greeted you. You furrowed your brows as you looked at your phone's screen and realized it's not Yeon Ra but an unregistered number that is not unknown at all as it is Kyung Soo's that you just forgot to save in your contacts.

 

“Aah, yes?” You greeted as you placed back the phone in your ear, speaking quickly as you don't want him to wait.

 

“Uhm, hi.” He spoke followed by a jittery chuckle. “Just checking if it's really your number. You...” He trailed off as his voice turned to a sad and disappointed tone. “Never replied my messages.”

 

You gasped and face-palmed yourself when you realized you never responded even once although your inbox was bombarded with his texts earlier. It just went out of your priorities as you caught up yourself with work especially that it's peak season for customers to visit the cafe' during summer.

 

“I'm sorry. Been busy with stuffs.” You responded with an honest guilt and with that, his mood surprisingly turned 360 degrees.

 

“Don't worry, it's okay.” He beamed. “I'm just glad it really is your number.”

 

You narrowed your eyes as you thought carefully if what he said should make you glad or upset as you were personally the one who told him your number that very same day at the park and if he's doubting it, then he must have been thinking you were a liar or something.

 

“Why? Did you think I would lie about that?” You asked, almost snapping.

 

“Oh, no no.” He frantically answered, shaking his head on the other line as if you could see him. “I'm just really happy that I could get to contact you. I-I'm sorry.” He finished as he felt nervous with thinking you became angry thus making him stutter on the last part.

 

You on the other hand, found it really adorable that you just wanted to keep him on your pocket forever that you can't help but giggle softly making the almost hysterical Kyung Soo smile. “No need to worry about it, it's fine.”

 

“Is it okay then? About me texting and calling you? I mean, I might be a bother when you'r-”

 

“It's okay.” You replied, cutting him off before he can even finish.

 

“So, friends?” He asked with a hint of uncertainty in his tone as he's afraid you'd reject his offer but to his delight, your answer is exactly what he's hoping for.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Yeah, friends.”

 

 


 

 

“Park Sun Mi?” Your history teacher called after receiving a phone call from the dean in the middle of discussing a lesson about the Joseon Dynasty that you surprisingly find interesting. You, who was seated in the middle row beside the window immediately raised your hand.

 

“Yes ma'am?” You asked as you stood up.

 

“You're excused in class.” She informed as she took out an excuse slip from her desk drawer and handed it to you. Seeing this, you quickly gathered all your belongings and slung your bag-pack on your shoulder and approached her, not minding the curious looks you are getting from your classmates.

 

“There was an emergency. Someone is waiting for you at the front gate. Just be sure to report to me on Monday.” She added as if being able to read what's on your mind and that is questioning why you were excused all of a sudden. You just nodded in understanding as you took the paper and exited the room.

 

Thanks to God, you got to enter College this year after being able to save up a sufficient amount of money from working last summer to cover up for your tuition but since you still needed support for your allowance and other miscellaneous fees, you continued your job up to now making you a working student. You are currently enrolled at Seoul National University taking up Nursing and since it is a public school, the expenses aren't that much but still, you have to work hard for it that's why you work night shifts at the cafe' as a part-time job now unlike before when you worked full time.

 

As you went nearer the University's front gate, you tilted your head in confusion. *What could be the emergency she's talking about? Is it something to worry about?* You pondered as when you say emergency, not so pleasant things are what will enter your mind first. You could only hope it's not a bad news coming.

 

You greeted the guard like you usually does as he returned your cordial smile with a forced one. He doesn't seem to be friendly to anyone but even so, it's in your nature that you smile to everyone; not caring if they would do the same or ignore you as what matters is that you tried establishing a good relationship even if it's with a stranger or someone you're already acquainted to.

 

As you finally got out of the school grounds, you looked around as Ms. Kang, your history teacher said that someone is waiting for you. 

*That's odd.* You thought as you saw no one around in the vicinity but a Black SUV parked a few meters away that's strangely blinking its light and since the car is not familiar at all, it couldn't be that, right? Besides, you don't know anyone who owns a luxury car of any sort. 

Scratching your head in confusion, you turned to go back inside the school only to be stopped by your phone's ringing.

 

“Hey, it's me.” Kyung Soo's voice that you've been hearing every night for the past few months greeted you.

“I'm in the black SUV. Please come over.”

 

You ended the phone call as you glanced at the car and surely, a hand poked from the car's window and waved at you.

 

You smiled as you partially run half walked to the car's location with a small, amused smile playing on your lips. It's been exactly four months since you and Kyung Soo became friends and although you badly want to take it to the next level, you're not sure if he likes you back in a way you like him and being a traditional lady you are that believes it should be the guy who'd confess and court, you patiently wait although you're honestly not sure if there's anything to wait about. But to think of the possible future heartbreak with your unrequited love is the least of your worries as you're happy with the way you are with him now. He calls you day and night. He makes an effort to hang-out with you as you can't call it a date even you badly want to few times a month. Once, he even cooked for you on your 18th birthday last month and the dish? His ever famous Kimchi spaghetti and it was indeed splendid like a professional cook prepared it. If you were just really the assuming type you would think that the way he act towards you could mean he likes you back but then again, you were never the type to expect.

 

“So why are you here?” You asked as you opened his door and found him wearing casual clothes and a cap to supposedly hide his identity if people see.

 

“Why? Is it bad to visit a friend? It's been a week since we last saw each other.” He replied as he motioned for you to get inside.

 

You cocked a brow as you looked at him in disbelief. “So that's the emergency?”

 

He gave you a sly smile as he reached for your hand and pulled you in. “No, not just that. I want to tell you something important but before that, let's go somewhere first.”

 

“To where?” You asked as you sat next to the driver's seat and watched as he buckled your seat belt. “You know I can do that.” You commented on the matter of him fastening your seat belt but you only did that because the proximity between you two as he locked it around you is so close that you fear he would hear your abnormally beating heart and uneven breathing.

 

“It's faster if it's me.” He responded with a slight chuckle. “And where we'll be heading? You'll know once we get there.”

 

You just rolled your eyes as you made yourself comfortable in your seat. It's not like you could make him spill the beans. When Kyung Soo doesn't want to, not even Tao's aegyo could make him do it.

 

 

 

 

After a few minutes drive, you came to a stop and your eyes widen.

 

“What are we doing here?” You asked as you looked outside. He brought you at the park; the very same park where you two first met.

 

He smiled at you as he unfastened his seat belt and went out. You did that same but as you were about to open the car door, he already did it for you in an oh-so-gentleman way.

You scoffed as you picked up your bag and stepped out. It's not that you're irritated but you just don't want to fall harder for him when you're not sure if he has any intentions of catching you. It's because all these months he never showed any hint that he wants to be more than friends. He would even use the catch phrase “because we're friends” every time he'd do you a favor and those times, you'd realize that those sweet words could hurt so much.

 

 

You walked around and since it's early September and a working/school day, the park was almost vacant but in you and Kyung Soo's case, it is better as the risk of him getting recognized is lesser. Your mind was occupied by wandering around and appreciating the calm environment that you didn't noticed he already stopped walking and you only did when you bumped to him.

 

“Ow,” You whined but immediately stopped when you looked at your front. It was the bench. The same one where you first saw him and the very place where your friendship and love story which you would discover later on had started.

 

 

 

“Late afternoon on the 26th of May last summer.” He suddenly spoke with a dreamy voice, his back still facing you.

“That's when and there, at that bench is when we first met. I was reading a book when you stood approximately twelve foot away from me. Your shoulder length hair now was then longer and beautifully swaying against the wind. You were wearing a floral skirt and a pair of plain, beige colored flats with your cheeks glowing from the sun's heat and you looked... Breath taking. You were then and always were. Way prettier than summer itself and seriously, I was hoping you'd seat next to me because I didn't had the guts to approach you even I should have the courage as I'm the man. But like my prayer were answered instantly, you did but I was tongue-tied to even say hello. Thankfully, Mogu who was with you that time did something to break the invisible wall between us that gave me the opportunity to finally introduce myself and get your number.”

 

Your blood run cold while hearing everything he said and call you dense or stupid, you had no idea where it's leading to although a part of you hopes it's that thing you had been waiting for since a few months back.

 

“What are you trying to say? I-I don't understand why you are bringing that up now.” You said in almost a whisper, trying to hide your flustered expression because all that he said stunned you too much. You never knew that even the slightest detail of what you're wearing back then was something he payed attention to.

 

He heaved a sigh as he turned to face you. He inhaled deeply as he took your hand and enveloped it in both of his.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Sun Mi, I like you.”

 

 


 

 

 

“So um, thank you. I really enjoyed today.” You shyly told him as the two of you stood face to face at your apartment buildings doorstep with the moon's light and countless stars brightening up the cold November night. You had been together for nearly two months and had just been to your second official date today. You can't blame him though as he's always busy being a person in the limelight. To others, the amount of time you'd been together is not a lot and can be considered that you're not yet in the serious stage of your relationship but the times you spend with him is always amazing and you know it's more than infatuation. He's a sweet, adorable boyfriend and you hit it off fast as you both have a lot in common. Besides, he makes you happy and that's what matters.

 

“Yeah, me too.” He answered as he gave you another heartwarming smile as his eyes twinkled almost brightly like the stars up in the sky. But why compare to the stars that are million kilometers away when the star you have is just inches away from you; definitely in your reach and in fact, is just a heartbeat away.

 

“Are you sure you don't want to go inside for a cup of coffee or tea? You look cold.” You offered worriedly as you noticed his skin looks paler and his lips are getting chapped but nevertheless, they still look kissable as always. Oh, how you wonder how it feels to kiss them. You gasped mentally with that thought. *Did that just seriously crossed your mind?*

 

“No, it's fine. It's getting late and my band members had been calling me for the past hour, nagging that they hadn’t eaten dinner yet. You know, I'm like their personal cook only without pay.” He responded, grimacing playfully at the last part as both of you broke into a small laughter.

 

“Well, yeah. So, good night?” You hesitantly asked after as a part of you wants him to stay for a little longer or if not, to just give you a goodbye kiss at least.

He nodded but still stayed glue to his spot as you both stared in each others eyes. He rubbed the back of his neck with an awkward and nervous smile as he his lips: An action that made you want to pounce on him and kiss his pouty lips right then and there but of course, you didn't.

That's just a wild imagination of yours.

 

“Can I?”

You snapped out of your fantasy as you brought your gaze away from his lips to his eyes and find him staring at you with almost a pleading and indecisive look. You furrowed your brows trying to grasp what he's talking about when his gaze traveled down to your lips and that's when it hit you. *Could he be thinking about the same thing?*

Before you could even answer, Kyung Soo who was now unable to restrain his self from looking and wanting to kiss that tempting lips of yours, leaned in and the next moment, you felt your lips brushed and a sudden bolt of electricity bursted inside of you.

It was the same as you imagined, even better as the fact the moonlight shining down on you even made it feel and look more romantic than it already is. The kiss was dry and sweet, the exact kind that first-timers like you hope but still enough to send you on cloud 9. You can feel him smile as he encircled his arms around your waist and brought you closer. Making you feel that like yours, his heart is also thumping loudly and it is you that caused that.

 

 

 

 

 

You could do nothing then but savor the moment and thank God.

 


 

 

 

A loud banging on the door woke you up from your nap. You snarled as you stood up and walked your way to answer the door in a groggy manner. You don't really have to ask who it is as there's only one person who bangs on your door that way like she'd seriously break it down. It's actually her trademark knock.

 

“Hey best!” Yeon Ra greeted enthuastically as soon as you opened the door before she engulfed you into a life-squeezing embrace. You patted her back signaling you're glad to see her too although you had just been together yesterday and to tell her also that you can't breathe. Finally satisfied, she broke the hug and grinning widely, walked inside your apartment and like the expected, started ranting about how your place is virtually a mess.

 

“Argh, why are your soiled clothes all over the place?”

“How many times did I said not to leave your pantry open?”

“The television's smoking hot! You should turn it off when you don't use it!”

“Dirty socks around. Sun Mi are you even a real girl?”

“Why is the ice on your freezer so thick? I said thaw them at least twice a week!”

“Your milk's out of stock! It's a necessity.”

“Why is the kitchen floor wet?”

“Omo, you let Mogu pee on your carpet again?”

“Ew, bugs.”

And many more while you could only roll your eyes and follow suit. Yeon Ra is basically like a mother who nags about every little thing but you're honestly grateful that she's there to act like the big sister you never had. Well actually you do have a biological sister who's two years older but since you two grew up apart, you were never in good terms and it's just once in a blue moon when you get to see each other as she resides in Japan while you lived your whole life yet in Korea.

 

“Girl, don't tell me you hadn't even took a shower yet?” Yeon Ra walked and stood in front of you; eyeing you head to toe in a judging manner that you find intimidating and awkwardly funny.

 

“What's wrong? I just woken up and it's my day off. Shower could wait.” You answered with a shrug but before you can even go back to your couch and resume sleeping, she pulled and dragged you to the bathroom.

 

“No, no, no. Today is a special day for you. Clean up and we're going to have a total make-over. My treat.”

 

You narrowed your eyes but just as you open your mouth to protest, she already pushed you inside the shower and locked the door.

 

“15 minutes!” She yelled before skipping to your kitchen to munch on whatever snack you have in store.

 

You just sighed as you started undressing for a quick shower. You truthfully doesn't have any desire to go out even if there's a special occasion to celebrate. You actually filed for a leave today in a hope you could get to spend it with your boyfriend who promised to take you out on a date but since it was announced to them just yesterday that they will have a fan-signing event at Daechi-Dong, you had an unwanted last minute change of plans.

 

As soon as you finished, you walked to your bedroom and dressed to a simple tee shirt and jeans. You don't even have the enthusiasm to dress to impress. Of course you are happy for today but you still feel kind of blue that Kyung Soo is out working and only sent you a single text message this morning and when you replied, you no longer got any more response.

 

“I'm done.” You bluntly announced to your best friend who unusually look giddy and excited today.

“Oh goodness! I thought you were gonna take centuries!” She beamed excitedly as she finished her newly heated tuna sandwich that was in your fridge since last week. Microwave ovens had been your cooking partner since you entered college.

“You're exaggerating.” You snickered pertaining to the 'centuries' as you lazily grabbed your keys and lifelessly walked to the door.

“Aw, come on. What's with the gloomy expression and straight face? It's your special day so cheer up! You're finally 19 and a double celebration it is as you're on your second year now and you did great last semester.” She commented merrily as she slung her arm around your shoulder and hyperly dragged you out.

 

 

The whole day was spent with you jumping to many salons and shopping around Myeong-Dong. At the end of the afternoon, you had your nails done, had a facial, foot spa, had a totally different hairdo and now you're in one of the clothes stall with Yeon Ra rummaging through every display looking for a dress for you. With all the activities you did today you are pretty much sure that the expenses is like twice your paycheck so countless times you convinced her to go home already before she get to spend all her savings but still, she insisted so here you are.

 

“Yeon Ra, you don't really have to do this.” You said for the umpteenth time that day as you snatched the two dresses; one halter and one plain black from her hands and placed it back on the rack. “Let's just go home, okay?”

 

She ticked her tongue before resuming her search party for the perfect dress like she's preparing you for something. “No, I insist.” She answered as she faced you and put her hands on either of your shoulder. “Look, this happens just once a year and as a best friend, let me do this for you.”

 

You softened and sighed. “Yes but in the past years we only eat out in a fancy restaurant. But now you're like dressing me up for a big ball or something.” You gasped as a thought crossed your mind. “Don't tell me you are thinking on making me go on one of your blind dates again instead of you?” You asked while eyeing her suspiciously.

 

“What?” She asked back blinking her eyes innocently before breaking into a giggle like what you said is plain absurd. “No, of course not! Trust me, it's not that.” She then winked at you before turning away to talk to the sales person and with that, you know she's up to something.

 

 

 

It's close to 9 pm and both of you are heading home at last. You're feet hurts from the endless walking you did and the killer heels you're wearing now just added to the burden you're feeling. It's actually funny how when you left your apartment you were just in casual clothes while now you are already in a tight fitting red dress with your hair and make-up done and a pair of black stilettos when it should be the other way around. You actually find it weird why Yeon Ra made you dress that way as you would just plainly go home, or at least that's what you're thinking and expecting. You tried telling her it doesn't make any sense why you have to wear that outfit but she only answer you with a shrug and some lame reasons like “Because I want to take a picture of you when we get home. You look gorgeous in that dress.” and “You already turned 19 so you should get used to wearing those.”

You didn't buy that of course but you know it's no use arguing and with all the things that girl had done for you, if wearing those clothes would make her happy then so be it. And since you're physically exhausted you just wanted to finish the day, have a warm bath and hit the bed but you figured that's not gonna happen soon as Yeon Ra have something fishy up her sleeves when she punched a different floor number when you got in the elevator.

 

“Yah, it should be fourth floor! What's wrong with you?” You shrieked when you saw her pressed for the twelfth floor instead of fourth, the highest there is on that apartment building.

She smirked as she went on your back and the next thing you know, you could no longer see anything.

 

“Hey, what are you doing?!” You almost screamed as you tried to remove whatever that is that's blocking your sight fully only to feel her held your hand down tightly.

 

“Blindfolding you.” She answered, stating the obvious. “Now relax and wait for your birthday surprise.”

 

You groaned loudly in annoyance. “I don't like surprises!”

 

“Oh, you'd surely like this one.” She replied with a small chuckle before you both heard the elevator dinged and the door opened.

 

Since you can't see, Yeon Ra guided you all the way. You thought that the surprise she's talking about is in that floor but you just felt that you are now climbing up the stairs. *Where are we seriously heading to?* That floor is the highest so the only explanation is that you're going to the rooftop which in the three years of living in that apartment you had just seen twice as the area is restricted. The ahjumma that owns the building doesn't let anyone go there and the rare times you got to sneak in was when she forgot to lock it a few years back.

 

She opened the heavy door and lightly pushed you inside but not before wishing you a happy birthday.

“Happy birthday sweetie. Now spend the rest of the night with him.” She whispered before giving you a light squeeze in the hand.

 

 

You removed the blindfold as soon as you heard Yeon Ra's footsteps fading and when you did, the sight that greeted you almost teared you up.

The once wide and vacant rooftop was then marvelously turned to what seem to be a garden with rose petals sprawled on the floor that you suddenly felt like a princess in her own fairytale; pots of red roses which happens to be your favorite flower are basically all over the place; light sticks are also on the floor, magically lightening up the place; a dinner table at the center with iridescent candles and it was indeed all romantic looking. You gaped at the sight and lastly, your gaze landed on the handsome guy standing just beside the table, smiling at you and looking ever so stunning in a black tuxedo with his hair styled up at the side.

 

“Kyung Soo,” you called feebly with a voice like you're about to cry which is certainly what you want to do. You were just so moved with what you saw that you felt tears would come out any moment but thankfully, you were able to hold them back. But before you could even open your mouth to say something once more, he stepped forward and started humming a song and not long after, serenaded you with his angelic voice.

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgbkBpqOekM

 

“Happy Birthday, Jagiya.” He whispered with a loving smile as he finally got to you and tucked a strayed hair strand behind your ear.

 

“I-I thought you're at a fan signing event in Daechi-Dong?” You managed to ask even you felt like melting into a pile of goo because of his sweetness.

“Why? Don't you want to spend your birthday with me?” He questioned with a faux frown while you vigorously shook your head because that's not what you meant.

 

“No! Of course I want to!” You defended. “I was just surprised, that's all.”

 

His face broke into a smile again as he chortled to your cuteness.

“I know you'd say that. Well, it ended early so I got the time to prepare all of these for my special girl.” He answered that made your heart feel warm like he always does when he shows you how you are valued to him.

He loves you, that you are sure of. Even he's steadily busy with his hectic schedules, he still finds time to be with you and does all the things a good boyfriend will do. You can see his effort on trying to make the relationship work and have it in a way like you are both in the same world although in reality, you're not as he's a celebrity while you are a normal sophomore college student. But even so, he never made you feel as if the gap between your world is too big as when he's with you, he simply becomes Kyung Soo. And you love it that way.

 

“So, are we just gonna stand here? The food will get cold.” You stopped staring at him dreamily as his voice interrupted you.

 

“Uh, yes.” You mumbled before being pulled towards the table and escorted to your seat.

 

 

 

“Woah, you made all these?!” You exclaimed in awe as you gawked at the mouth-watering dishes served before your eyes. It was all prepared in a way like a professional chef did it.

 

“Yes.” He answered shyly while rubbing the back of his nape awkwardly. He really did a great effort on making all those dishes because even he's a natural good cook already, Italian dishes aren't his expertise but knowing you are fascinated with those, he took the risk of cooking foods whose name he couldn't even pronounce properly since their language is complicated for him. That's why he is unsure if you'd like it as it's his first time to experiment in a type of dish that is so out of his league.

 

You on the other hand, doesn't really care if it would taste close to how it should really be or not. The fact that he made an effort to do that is more than enough and you know him too well that he's really quite destined to be in the kitchen that if God's willing that he was really the one who'd be waiting at the end of the aisle when that time comes, you figured he would be the one cooking in the house rather than you and that made you smile. You were never the type to assume or even think much about the future as life is just too full of surprises and the present have enough problems to handle but just in case, it would be great if things will turn out that way.

 

“So, how was it?” You looked at him with wide eyes when you realized you hadn't left your feedback yet after tasting a spoonful of his Cannelloni so you cleared your throat.

 

“It's good.” You answered and studied his expression. As expected, he wasn't satisfied when his mouth formed into an 'o' and gave you a forced smile. He's yearning for something better than 'good'. “Just kidding, it's great.” You added sincerely and with that, he broke into a huge grin.

 

“That better be.” He replied as he stuffed his mouth with the food too and realized that you're not lying at all. He's not praising it because he was the one who made it but it was really delicious.

 

“So oppa, how did you got the ahjumma to lend you this place? This area here is restricted, you know." You asked out of curiosity as you continued to chew on the yummy pasta dish.

 

“It's not easy, actually. The ahjumma is quite stiff and didn't even believed when I said I'm in a kpop group. I only got to convince her to have me use this place in exchange of Yun Ho hyung's signature. Turned out, she's a die hard cassiopeia that ships YunJae crazily.” He answered with a low, tuneful chuckle while you joined him in your laughing fit as you both talked about random things.

 

 

 

 

The night went by and you don't know how long you stayed there that even you both are done eating, you sat still and admired the stars; held hands and shared a passionate yet chaste kiss that all throughout that, you can't help but think if you unconsciously saved a state or nation for God to bless you with such a man.

 

 

 


 

 

 

“Hi mom, hi dad.” You greeted warmly with a half but sincere smile as you bowed down in respect. It's been quite a while since you went back to Daegu- your hometown and visited them. Ever since you moved to Seoul and started college, life had always been busy that finding time to go back home isn't as simple as it sounds. Good thing was that you were given a week long spring break so you took the opportunity to take a short vacation at your province.

 

“By the way, I brought a guest with me.” You straightened up as you pulled the astounded Kyung Soo closer to your side.

“Mom, dad, meet my boyfriend, Do Kyung Soo.” You beamed softly as you nudged him to introduce his self to which he promptly complied even he was utterly shocked at the moment.

 

“A-annyeong Hashimnikka* (a much formal version of annyeong haseyo meaning hello or how are you). My name is Do Kyung Soo and I'm Sun Mi's boyfriend.” He introduced and bowed down exaggeratedly lower than necessary. You gave him an encouraging pat at the back as you took the bouquets of stargazers from his hands and placed them at the two marble headstones lying in front of you.

 

“If you both are still here with us," You started. "I bet you would give me an hour long lecture about relationships which I wish you could do...” You paused as you chuckled softly imagining how your mom and dad could have reacted knowing you got yourself a boyfriend and not just any boyfriend but a celebrity one. But then again, you couldn't really picture it well as they left you a bit too early that you don't even know if they are that kind of parents that would be dumbfounded if their beloved daughter becomes mature enough to enter the complicated world of falling in-love and committing.

 

“Like normal parents will do, I know you'll be worried but I'm telling you, you shouldn't be. I'm fully grown-up now and...” You trailed off as you slipped your hand on Kyung Soo's and gave it a light squeeze to which he reciprocated the action straightaway.

“He loves me.” You continued. “He's not the wordy type like you mom that confesses her love to dad almost every second of everyday but his actions prove it well. He treats me like a princess, dad. The same way you did to mom and I think that's an enough reason to believe that he truly loves me.” You finished as you stared at their gravestones longingly but lovingly; praying like you always does that wherever they are, they're happy and that they're finally with our Creator.

 

Kyung Soo who was standing beside you could only stare at your side features and admire you more, if that's possible. When you told him you'd finally let him meet your parents after who-knows-how-long of nagging from him, he was more than excited that he pleaded his manager to give him a break even for just a few days ahead of time. Of course he's also scared with meeting them as he doesn't know what they're like for weirdly, you only have a single picture with them that was taken more than a decade ago. You also don't talk about them at all. He just convinced you because he wanted to show you how serious he is with the relationship that he wants to make it official with both sides as his family already met you and needless to say, they approved. They found you sweet and adorable like he does so they easily accepted you and his parents even treat you like the daughter they never had. So when the day came when you decided to visit home and tag him along, he felt giddy and prepared massively like he's about to ask your hand for marriage but when you finally got there, he was astounded when instead of a house in the middle of a farm or beside a lake, you went straight to the cemetery.

 

 

“They died in a car crash when I was three.” You informed, snapping him out of his trance.

 

“That happened a few days after my birthday and obviously, I don't remember much about them There are some but they're vague memories that I couldn't even tell if they did happened or just part of the dreams I considered reality as a child.” You breathed deeply as you lowered your gaze at the flowers lying beautifully and still on the cold marble and they somehow lightened up the building heavy feeling in your chest.

 

“You see, I have a sister that they left with me.” You added, deciding to finally tell him your life's story after some years of hiding it to him albeit not intentionally. You just don't find it easy tackling about the past especially with people you don't know well. But in Kyung Soo's case, you already grew comfortable around him that you know he's someone to be trusted even with your life's secrets.

 

“She's two years older and we never got along. My earliest memory of her was when I was four and I was put onto my mom's auntie's custody while my sister moved in with my mom's brother who resides in Japan. I was there when she with my uncle boarded the plane to leave Korea and that moment, I felt a big part of me died and no matter how I called her while she's walking towards the departure area, she never looked back. I remember going home that day to my new home feeling all sullen.

 

"But halmeoni* (grandmother), she's sweet and kind that the bitter thoughts and feels I had then was soon replaced with good ones. I also remember her telling me that out of all her nieces and nephews, my mom was her favorite. Maybe that was the reason too why we both got along well and she treated me like her own. I remember that before she tuck me in every night, she would tell me stories about my parents bits by bits. Of how they met and how their love blossomed that's why I know how they were like as parents and as persons even they left the world when I was too young to even read. That's also why I know a lot of things about them even I didn't meet them personally, at least in a way that I can remember.

 

"Most of her stories about them would make me laugh, sometimes cry but mostly, they make me warm inside. She kept on telling me how my parents love each other. The reason why I know that mom is the wordy type and that dad treated her as a princess."

You pressed your lips in a thin line when you thought about your words over again and realized you were wrong about something.

"Wait, no. Let me rephrase that. He treats her like a queen. His queen and me and my sister were his princesses. And speaking of that, that's actually one of the things my sister have that I would never had- clear memories about our parents because she was already five when they died so I bet she could remember well most interactions she had with them. So yeah, I was also told that my dad was head over heels for my mom and their marriage worked out perfectly fine. The reason why, even how dumb it is, I believe in happily ever after. Because maybe, the kind of love my parents had was all too close to that and is something I wish and pray I could have too.

 

"Growing up with halmeoni, although it was just the two of us at that large, two-story house located at the outskirts of town as she never got married nor had kids, the ambiance never felt foreign. Everyday, I would wake up to the aroma of her country-side dishes and when I arrive from school, the sight of her weeding or tending the garden is what would greet me. She's loveable and caring that although the house was too big for just the two of us, it still always felt warm. It felt like... Home.” Your lips curled upward as you continued to share what you had been through knowing that he's patiently listening.

 

“But unfortunately, that only lasted for quite a while. She's already in her mid 80's when she took me in so a few years later, she passed away. I was eight that time and it's not like I could live on my own in the house she left in my possession so I ended up in an orphanage. It was fine, really. The nuns took good care of me until I was twelve then they enrolled me in an all-girls middle school. Graduating with flying colors, I was given a scholarship to study at Seoul High and that was when I moved in the city and met Yeon Ra. We're dorm mates and you know pretty much everything from there.” You finished as you turned to him and smiled affectionately. History obviously happened since then as you are now standing face to face with a man you never thought you'd call yours; not even in your wildest fantasy, actually.

 

 

Kyung Soo just stood there after listening to your partly sob story as he looked at you with wide eyes; not being able to grasp the right words to tell you as the thought that the girl he loves is already an orphan didn't crossed his mind. You never told him and it's simply because you act like a normal girl next door who does have a picture perfect family. You smile a lot and you always look strong; like you lived the almost perfect life that he never thought you basically went that stage in your life when you felt supposedly broken.

 

Tranquility is what happened next as you both gazed in each others eyes. He need not to say more as no words are actually needed. Pulling you into a hearty, loving hug, you sighed in delight as you wrapped you arms around his waist and rested your head on his broad chest. He's not the bulky type nor skinny but his body built is perfect as it is for you because when you're inside his embrace, you felt like it was actually made especially for you; to secure you in his hold and even make you feel that you are indeed made for each other.

You were about to close your eyes when you remembered something. You broke the hug and he frowned with the lost of warmth but didn't said anything. You on the other hand fished out something from your pocket that made him gawk at you, his eyes seemingly going to pop any second now.

 

It was a violet satin covered small box and and as you opened it, the two white gold rings placed on the fluffy silk covered cotton glistened as the sun's light illuminated their glow. His mouth hang open as he blinked his eyes profusely while you only giggled softly seeing his flabbergasted expression.

 

“I'm not going to propose, silly.” You teased as you tried to hold in your laughter because you know that's the initial thought that entered his mind when he saw you took out the box. "What were you expecting? I'm going to kneel next? No dip sherlock." You snickered as he bit his lip, embarassed because not gonna lie, that's exactly what he thought.

 

"This." You pointed out as you took the two rings and wore the smaller one on your ring finger. "Are my parents' engagement rings." You informed as you brought your hand up and admired the way it fitted perfectly on you.

"These rings are special to them and so as to me. It holds more than a sentimental value and it's one of the very few things I have that reminds me of them. Like what I've told you, I didn't witnessed the love my parents had but they were narrated to me so detailed in a way that I learned too much. And that they are madly, deeply in-love is just one of those facts I know."

 

Kyung Soo's eyes grew even wider, if that's possible to flying saucers when you took his palm and place the bigger ring on it. The ring that was evidently your dad's.

 

"Wha-"

 

"Once again, I'm not proposing nor asking your hand for marriage." You reminded with a vex smirk. "But apparently, I'm giving that ring to you because, well, I love you." You stated bluntly.

 

"It was once my parents' but now it's mine. Ours, from this moment on. I know that it's weird enough that I'm giving you a ring when it should be the other way around but you see, when I was younger, I've witnessed a lot of failed relationships around that made me thought maybe falling in-love was just a waste of time. But when I would remember my parents and the kind of love they had, it made me re-think and it make me arrive to the conclusion that no, true love, it does exist because that's one of reasons why I'm here. Me and my sister is a solid proof of that. My parents experienced it and it left me with a hope all these years that I would get to experience that myself someday. So when I reached the age of knowing the feeling of liking someone and even falling in-love, I told myself that I would give the other half of my mom's ring to the guy who deserves it when the right time comes and I patiently waited.

 

"Kyung Soo, I know it's a bit too early to assume things between us because we're both young and the possibilities of you waking up someday and falling in love with someone else is rather feasible." You stopped for a while and smiled bitterly because in this life where in one second everything could be turned around, you'll never know what's in store ahead. Especially with someone like Kyung Soo who's always exposed for the world to see. He's a celebrity, a shining one, in fact. With millions of girls around the world swooning over him and even willing to bear his baby, it's actually a surprise he's with you when he could date a fellow artist or a smokin' hot western model because with D.O and not Kyung Soo, that's all too possible.

 

"Jagi-"

 

"No, Kyung Soo." You cut him off as you already know he would oppose to the last thing you said.

"You'll never know what will happen to you... To us. Nothing lasts forever. As cliche' as it is, it's painfully true and it's the kind of reality that would just slap you hard across the face mercilessly at a very unexpected time. As humans, we do not have control over everything, heck to even half of the things whether we own it or not. But just to let you know and you probably figured it out too, there are still some things in life that we are willing to fight for just so you can have them a little longer and apparently with what I'm doing now, you're one of those things, Kyung Soo. The only difference is you're not a thing but a treasure. Whenever I'm with you, I would secretly pinch myself just to make sure I wasn't dreaming that you, that us is real. And I don't think I could thank God enough everytime I feel the pain because right then and there, I'd know that you are definitely mine and vice versa, I am yours.

 

"Oppa, I don't know until when us would last. But like what I said, I love you. I love you that I'm giving this ring to you because I believe you are deserving. I honestly don't know if you're the one but how I pray you really are.  And that if ever dreadfully, the day comes when we had to go our separate ways, I would still be thankful to God that once in my life, I had you."

 

He was lost for words that he could only stare down as you slipped the ring to his and amazingly, like yours, it fitted perfectly. It's an awkward scene, really when you, although being the girl gently shoved the ring on his finger but you could care less because as when you entertwined your hands after, it felt so wonderful that the gap between his fingers are right where yours fit perfectly.

 

"So, there. Our promise ring." You chirped as you gazed softly at your tangled hands with the white golds gleaming with the morning's light, your eyes glittering along with it.

 

He smiled as he engulfed you into another hug. This time, much loaded with raging love as he fell for you harder right at that moment. He doesn't have to answer because even he too is unsure of what's set in the future, one thing is sure and that is: He wants you there as his lady and no one else.

 

"I love you." He murmured against your ear, sending vibrations and tingly feeling all over you that you felt your cheeks immediately heat up with those simple words that are full with sincerity and passion.

 

You too, smiled against the crook of his neck as you inhaled his ever so familiar scent of oriental wood with a touch of faint vanilla- his smell that never fails to get you intoxicated everytime.

 

 

 

 

"I love you too."

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

"Darn it, Sun Mi! You are being over sentisitive!" He hissed as he raked his already disheveled hair in frustration.

 

"And you are being a dimwit!" You countered as you stomped your foot and moved the curtains close as it's late in the evening and the neighbors are supposedly asleep although a part of you are sure that with the annoying, vociferous noises you and Kyung Soo are creating, they can't help but eavesdrop. Proof is that the room adjacent to yours fell silent when a while ago, there were music playing in full blast. That's already expected though as your apartment isn't soundproofed at all.

 

"What the heck woman?! How many times do I have to say that it was part of the script!?" He yelled almost helplessly, voice cracking at the end while you just snickered.

 

"Oh yeah? Then is it also included in the script to have twenty-three NGs?!"

 

"No! But we're humans, Sun Mi! We make mistakes and so they were corrected!"

 

"Really? Then is it normal to have that number of mistakes?!" You retorted as you glared at him. "You freakin' kissed that girl full on the lips twenty three times!" You bit your lip as you felt tears b the corner of your eyes but you held them back. You can't cry. Not now, not ever in front of him. You've gotten into arguments with Kyung Soo countless times already and never once you shed a tear, at least not when he can see it.

 

He just sighed exasperatedly as he rubbed his temples tiredly. He could no longer bring himself to say anything more. Knowing almost everything about you now, he's sure you wouldn't listen to whatever he says. You're hard headed like that.

 

"And now you can't answer?! I don't want to waste time on this useless talk anymore. I've been keeping up with all your crap for four years and it's sickening tiring. Give me a break." You sneered as you attempted to walk past him. You honestly didn't expected that the simple confrontation you did when he visited earlier on the matter of him kissing a girl for their etude commercial would turn to a very heated argument. You don't plan to take the issue seriously as you truly trust him but all the stress you've been having for the past days of cramming for your board exam just got in your nerves and the fact he brushed you off coldly when you asked him about it didn't helped at all. It only added fuel to the fire and now, there you are: bawling and shouting at each other, even bringing up past issues that are long forgotten and even now that both of you fell silent, you could still feel the tension and anger radiating from both of you.

 

 

"You know what? Maybe you're right. Maybe we need a break."

 

 

You stopped dead on your tracks as soon as you heard him say that. You instantly felt a pang in your heart as you restrained yourself from turning around and kiss him to make up as you know you went overboard. You know he's sensitive when it comes to your relationship mainly and with the last sentence you said, you know you made him feel like all the years you had with him was nothing but a pain in your when truthfully, it's the opposite. It's true that your relationship wasn't always rainbows and unicorns. Plenty of times he hurted you although not intentionally but it can't be helped as he's a well known celebrity that jumps to different places in the world to perform while you are a normal, simple nurse in training that patiently waits for the day you'll get to see him again and sigh in relief whenever you'll be informed that it's still you in his heart although a lot of women are throwing themselves to him. You know that maybe you've stepped over the limit now but what can you do? Your pride is soaring too high now that you don't want to show any sign of weakness. Call you the bad guy in the relationship but you never back down whenever you two get in a fight and now that you thought about it, it's actually him that's been keeping up with your crap all those years. Not you.

 

 

 

"What do you mean?" You asked dryly and dumbly when you know too well what he means by taking a break. Believe it or not, never in your four years of relationship had any of you asked for that.

 

 

 

 

"Let's break-up."

 

 

 

That's it. You felt your knees turned to jelly as a single tear slid down your crimson-colored cheeks. Good thing your backs are still facing each other  that's why he didn't see. That's how stupid you are now, that even at the last minute, you want to look like the strong one when in reality, you're already a hairstrand away from breaking down and begging him to stay in the relationship. But being the conceited, full of herself, jerk soon-to-be ex-girlfriend of his you are right now, you just smirked smugly as you curtly nodded.

 

 

"We're the same. I think so too." You simply answered as you took slow, weary steps to your bedroom hoping that he will stop you but disappointingly yet expectedly, it never happened. He just stayed glued to his spot while you stepped inside your room and closed the door forcefully and as soon as you did, you fell on the ground with a thud. You hugged you knees tight and buried your face in between. The sound of your muffled cries filled the room that you pray couldn't be heard outside because that's how prideful you are. But not more than a minute later, you heard your front door creak open and slammed shut meaning, he left. And this time, might be permanently.

 

 

You continued on your sobbing, crying fit that your eyes are now swollen when you heard a knock on the door. It's probably quarter an hour after he left and you've done nothing but make yourself more miserable by wetting the pillow with your river of tears but no matter how you tried, they wouldn't stop flowing. You even slapped yourself a few times to hopefully wake you up from the nightmare you want to believe you are in now but everytime you'd feel the sting, realization dawns to you that everything is real and that he's gone. Partly, your fault and you can't do nothing but silently blame yourself for being such a cuss.

 

Thinking it was Yeon Ra or the ahjumma that owns the house, you inertly walked to your door to answer, not caring if you literally look like a mess now with your tearstrained and reddish cheeks from crying and slapping yourself and that your hair is all over the place. You sighed deeply as you weakly turned the doorknob but before you could even welcome whoever that's on the other side, the door swung open and the next thing you know, you were being pushed against the wall and a pair of lips crashed on you.

Your eyes grew wide as you tried to push the intruder away but he was too strong to your liking. Because of crying massively, your vision's a blur and snot was even hindering you from smelling and breathing properly and you were running out of air. But as the guy continued to mold his lips on yours that felt ever so familiar, you squinted your eyes to get a good look at him and when everything registered to you pretty clear already, you gasped.

 

"Kyung Soo?" You asked in disbelief as you finally realized who it is and stopped wriggling for a while. He s his arms on your waist and closed the little gap that separated you two.

 

"What... are y-you... doing?" You hissed that sounded almost like a moan as you turned your face away only for his lips to meet your jawline and continued kissing from there to your neck. You inhaled deeply as he gripped on you tighter while he nibbled on your exposed skin that you felt like all the energy to push him away just left your body. Abruptly, he stopped and buried his face near your shoulder blades and that was your cue to breathe again.

 

 

"I can't lose you." He whispered, almost breathless and his tone sounded desperate and pleading. It tugged your heartstrings seeing him like that especially when you felt something wet dripped down on the thin fabric covering your shoulder. He's crying. You blinked your eyes as you looked down at him in shock. Never once have Kyung Soo cried in front of you. Maybe because he's as prideful as you are but now, there he was- his silent cries in a second turned to deadened sobs as he clutched on your arm tensely like he's holding on for dear life. Like he was awfully scared that one moment he loosened his hold you will disappear into thin air. And it broke you.

 

"I-I can't too." You cawed in response as you let your tears, for the first time, stream down you moist cheeks and sobbed with him. No longer caring about pride or looking weak because if there are some things you value more than that, Kyung Soo is one of those.

 

Hearing that and feeling your tears travel down to the crown of his head, he looked up and your eyes met. If there is one thing you both have in common right at the moment, it is that you both look broken. His eyes are bloodshot red that matched up perfectly with your fluffy and swollen ones. It's evident that like you, he had been crying a lot, too.

 

"I'm sorry." He mumbled as he moved closer to kiss away another tear that streaked down your cheeks and you closed your eyes, enjoying the feeling of his cold lips on your heated skin.

 

"Pabo* (fool)." You croaked as you slapped his arm infirmly. "It's me who should be sorry. I pushed you over the edge. I was suc-"

 

He silenced you with another kiss that didn't lasted long when he broke away and rested his forehead on yours. "Let's stop talking about that now. The damage is done but..." He paused as he looked boldly to your eyes and carressed your face tenderly. "Would you mind fixing everything up with me? Let's not go back to the old us that bickers over little things. I know I'm not a perfect boyfriend or even close to that but I will try harder. I love you and I'm deeply sorry for being a jerk at times and hurted you. Jagi, let's start again."

 

You stared back at his dark orbs and you can sense he's being sincere. Besides, you are wanting the same thing as he does. You're tired of the nonsense arguments and you're not ready to lose him nor give up on your relationship. You've been loving him too long to stop now.

 

You grinned as you latched on him for a light kiss: surprising him because it was always him that initiates the contact whatever the situation is but honestly, he was thrilled and he likes seeing that dominant side of you once in a while because of course, being the guy in the relationship, he still wants to be in control.

 

 

 

"I couldn't think of a better idea other than that."

 

 


 

 

"And why are we here?" You asked as you raised a brow, facing Kyung Soo who was now removing his shoes and folding his loose pants to a shorts length.

Summer season is coming to an end in two weeks time and it's just now that your boyfriend got a free time. He's actually straight from China and from what you remembered, he wouldn't return until two days from now but to your surprise, he showed up at your doorstep this early morning and dragged you away. So instead of doing your daily routine of serving at Seoul District Hospital as a volunteer nurse, here you are now at a secluded private beach almost a hundred kilometer away from the city with a childish Kyung Soo in front who looks very much eager to throw his self at the ocean.

 

"Well, I wanted to have an alone time with my lovely girlfriend." He answered with a shrug as he shot you a wide, peculiar grin. What a cheesy guy, you thought.

 

"That's it? Kyung Soo we are three hours away from civilization and if you wanted a date, then you could have just told me and we can spend the whole day at my apartment watching movies." You answered, trying to knock some senses on him because you know he acts weird at times but you never thought he would actually drive you to that far just so he could have an alone time with you. Sure the beach was pretty but it was too far and isolated that you wouldn't be surprised if the lochness monster would just pop his head from the waters.

 

"Come on, Jagi. I haven't seen you in a week and just loose yourself for once, okay? Let's enjoy the scenery and I promise, we'll be back at Seoul before dark. Besides, I want a new environment during our dates aside from your apartment and that ddeukbokki stand a few blocks away from your home." He remarked and you could do nothing but sigh. He's right. You two had gotten to countless dates since you got together but it's either you have a nice home-made dinner at your apartment or a snack at that ddeukbokki shop not far from your flat that's mostly vacant. As much as you want to go to other places and date openly like normal couples do, you can't because well, you two aren't a normal couple. He's a celebrity and no further explanations are needed.

 

"Okay, okay. But you better be responsible if I get kicked out from the hospital as I didn't even got to ask permission for a leave today." You replied, giving up as he smiled at you cheekily and pulled you towards the sea.

 

 

 

You panted heavily as you let out another giggle while looking at the now amber colored sky that was once blue and bright. You don't know how long you've been there already as you never kept track of the time but witnessing the sunset, you're sure it's been hours. All you know is that you did enjoyed everything that happened. For the first time after a long time, you actually let yourself be puerile and forget that you are in fact a twenty-two year old grown-up because playing with Kyung Soo in the water, chasing and teasing each other like middle school sweethearts just awakened the child in you and brought you back to the times when peer pressures, politics, economy and finding a job isn't yet your concern.

 

 

"Jagi," You heard Kyung Soo called as he reached for your hand. You both are sprawled on the sand with the clothes on your lower body dripping wet from the salty water while silently savoring the moment of watching the birds freely flying in the sky. You closed your eyes as you hummed, acknowledging him. The next thing you knew, he rolled over and you felt something being slipped on your ring finger. The promise ring you have with Kyung Soo was no longer there because you decided to make it a pendant instead so it's now hanging around your neck.

Sluggishly, you opened your eyes and gaped when you saw an unfamiliar hoop placed on your finger. It is of pure gold and on top is a small heart-shaped diamond that glimmered ever so beautifully with the sun's radiance.

 

 

 

 

Kyung Soo smiled as he saw how it fitted perfectly on you but to him, the woman wearing it is far way better than the beauty of the ring itself. The way your eyes rounded and twinkled when you gazed at it and the curious look you shot him- with your cheeks tinted with an orangey glow due to being exposed to the sun for quite a while, you're simply breath taking. To him, you're one of the blessings God gave him that he treasures most. He never met your parents but he owes them a lot: for giving birth to you and being God's instrument for bringing you in this world.

Many times you would tell him how you feel so lucky and blessed to have him that you even think you don't deserve it but to him, it's the other way around. To him, although a lot of pretty girls are everywhere and sometimes, his eyes would wander and check them out, still, at the end of the day he goes back to you because in his heart, you're the only girl that possesses the throne of being his lady. And it's not true that love is blind. He sees your flaws but he just doesn't mind because his love for you is greater than that and so as vice versa. With all the things and words that could describe your relationship with him, it all goes down to the fact that you and him are undeniably, irrevocably in-love with each other.

 

 

 

"Sun Mi-ah," He voiced out as he leaned on your shoulder while admiring the ring wrapped around your slender finger.

 

 

 

 

 

"Let's get married."

 

 


 

 

Part two coming soon.