Chapter One

My Song For You

 

“Aigoo, aigoo, aigoo I’m gonna be late again!” TaeYeon hurried down the hallway towards the stairs leading up to her high school’s music conservatory on the roof, running late for her music lesson and struggling to hold her statistics notes and textbook against her chest as she ran. TaeYeon snuck a peek at her watch as she hit the door to the staircase open with her hip. “3:00! Bah!” She rushed up the stairs and to the door of the conservatory, quickly dropped her backpack down on the ground, and fumbled around to find her sheet music, cursing under her breath.


“Dammit, Fany! You and your boy troubles why am I such a good friend?!” She snatched her sheet music and stood up, turning around and walking inside the large conservatory the school used for special performances such as orchestra concerts and musical performances. Everyday after school, TaeYeon, a senior hoping to have a career in the performing arts, had piano and voice lessons in this room with her good friend DongHae, an aspiring music major and piano prodigy since the age of five who offered to help her on the road to stardom and also happened to be TaeYeon’s first love (not that he knew that or anything).


TaeYeon bit her lip and attempted to fix her uniform skirt and smooth down her hair, smiling as she saw DongHae sitting at the grand piano located at center stage, stretching his arms and fingers to begin his daily warm up of playing an original piece that always made TaeYeon swoon. It was like something out of her favorite drama but even better because it was real life and created and played by her prince charming himself. The familiar tune always sent butterflies in her stomach as she imagined the sweet and lovely melody playing in the background of the day she had envisioned since the beginning of the year: a walk in the park with DongHae by her side; he would suddenly pull a bouquet of roses from behind his back and present them to her with a bashful smile on his face before asking--


“TaeYeon-ah, you’re late again.” DongHae’s voice shook TaeYeon from her thoughts.


“M-mianhe, oppa. Math class ran long again. I’m here though!” She hurried onto the stage and took her usual spot next to the piano bench. She placed her music on the piano and cleared .


“You’re lucky. I almost left you behind.” DongHae teased, smiling playfully in her direction, causing TaeYeon’s heart to flutter. He stretched his fingers one more time then began to play TaeYeon’s vocal exercises.


She closed her eyes and parted her lips, beautiful sound emitting from them. Singing made her feel at peace. She didn’t care if she were good or not (though she was, according to DongHae--he thought she had the most beautiful voice he had ever heard along with the most beautiful face, but he could never admit that out loud; it was too embarrassing); she just wanted to sing her heart out and make others feel the way she felt as the pitch-perfect notes left her lips.


DongHae snuck a peek over at TaeYeon and smiled to himself, thoroughly enjoying the moment as he watched her small nostrils flare cutely with each note and her pale, delicate hand rested gently across her abdomen to assist in breath control. Why it was taking him so long to build the courage to ask her out sometime was beyond him. TaeYeon was his ideal type: she was beyond gorgeous with, as he found out at their first lesson, the voice of an angel. He knew when she first started singing that that’s all he had ever wanted in a girl and she was right here in front of him, every Wednesday afternoon. He thought back to when she first asked him if being famous was such a burden, and if it was worth the effort. He kindly responded (not that he liked to brag about being so well-known), advising her with the pros and cons and offering to give her lessons to jumpstart her career.


TaeYeon was a good friend of his and he wanted nothing more than to see her happy. DongHae smiled goofily as he mentally praised himself for the genius idea, unconsciously repeating the same melody over and over again, much to the chagrin of his partner.


“Yah, oppa, are you trying to destroy my voice?? I’ve done this song, like, five times already!” TaeYeon broke DongHae away from his thoughts.


“Aigoo--” He blinked and put his hands in his lap, trying not to turn red, “well you were late so I was making sure you made up for it!”


“I told you that my math class ran long. I’m sorry!” TaeYeon pouted, and DongHae almost lost it then and there. My goddess of music is so cute when she’s flustered, he thought, totally staring in admiration.


“Oppa, is there something on my face? Why are you looking at me like that?” TaeYeon immediately turned her back to him, furiously her teeth and wiping her cheeks just in case, her face definitely bright red.


“Huh?” DongHae said, blinking again out of his daze. “Oh! A-aniyo! You’re fine! Perfect!” Aish, pabo! What are you saying?! DongHae internally scolded himself.


“Oh, okay, good. I thought something was wrong.” TaeYeon turned back around, giggling nervously. There was an awkward pause, the two of them just looking at each other.


This is the perfect moment, Taengoo! Go for it! A voice in TaeYeon’s head cheered her on.


DongHae, she’s right here. Don’t push it off another week! DongHae’s inner voice was cheering him on as well.


Both of them opened their mouths to say something, but quickly shut them. DongHae cleared his throat and turned straight to face the piano, his fingers hovering over the keys.


Dammit. They both thought at the same time. DongHae bit his lip and took a deep breath.

“TaeYeon-ah, I wanna show you something.” He leaned over and pulled something out of his backpack. It was a score with scribbles all over it indicating the notes of the song. He handed it to her.


“I would like you to sing this while I play. Is that alright?” He asked, looking down so TaeYeon wouldn’t notice how flushed his face was. TaeYeon nodded, looking down at the sheet music so DongHae wouldn’t notice her blushing either. Omomomo he’s finally asking me to sing with him! TaeYeon’s inner voice squealed with excitement.


DongHae nodded in response and began to play the melody, causing TaeYeon to reel in shock.