And Who Won?

Fuel to the Fire

 

The young teen; 16 or 17, a Junior in high school, casually walked into his new school, sporting a rather disgruntled look. Here they were, back in America. Honestly; it would have taken less effort to move across the street than back to this damned country.

And he knew for a fact that he would miss Korean education. It wasn't absolutely pointless, like the American curriculum.

“Hi, my name is Eli.” he introduced dryly. "Sorry to move here so suddenly in the middle of a term, but you can blame my parents. They love to my life up.”

Is what he wanted to say. Of course, he didn't. He didn't say anything. He had said his name, and that should be enough.

But, of course, his homeroom teacher had to be the over-friendly and 'cool' type of educator. “Alright, Eli. Tell us about yourself.” he smiled, showing off a perfect row of teeth. “Where did you move from?”

Ah, great. It's bad enough that he--

Wait. The teacher... Eli took a closer look.

Yup, definitely Asian. And Korean, at that. Looking at that smile now, he knew it to be a knowing one. Eli seethed. A knowing smile just looked like a jackass expression on this guy.

“I moved here from Korea, but I grew up around here.” he stated, trying to keep the obvious annoyance out of his tone.

The students murmured comments that varied in their degrees of racism. Eli rolled his eyes.

The teacher leaned forward at his desk, intent on making Eli shift awkwardly from foot to foot for as long as possible. “What part? I used to live there, myself.” he said, that same, dumb look on his face. Eli absolutely hated him.

Then again, Eli hated most people.

“Look, teach.” Eli scoffed rudely. “That's exactly what you're supposed to be doing right now, so teach. I'm not gonna play 20 questions until the bell rings.”

A tense silence blanketed the room as Eli stalked over to a seat in the back of the class. Immediately, he put his head down in the crook of his elbow. Seven thirty was way too early to start learning.

“Oh, my bad...” the teacher paused, looking down at his seating chart as he walked to the front of the room. “Kyoungjae. But your seat will be here.” he pointed to a desk, right in front of him, one seat from the front.

Eli lifted his head, frustrated. “It's Eli.” he said through clenched teeth. “And right here is just fine with me.” he settled his head back down.

The teacher-- Mr. Shin-- sighed heavily. “You may sit there for today, but tomorrow you have to sit in your own seat.”

Eli didn't respond. 

 

"So, how was the first day of school?" Eli's father asked around a mouthful of potatoes. His mom reached over and lightly smacked his arm, warning him not to talk with his mouth full.

Eli so didn't want to talk about school. He waited as his sisters gossiped about the cute boys and-- quote unquote-- y girls.

“Oh, and that Biology teacher!”

“The Korean one? He is so cute!”

Eli's ears perked to attention. “Mr. Shin?” he asked, his blood already boiling.

The two teenage girls practically squealed at the sound of his name, cheering random words of affection and levels of attractiveness.

“I hate him.” Eli stated boldly, cutting the two off.

His older sister snapped his head toward him, scowling. She paused, her sharp tongue cooking up a few colorful words to throw at him. But, instead, she scoffed dismissively. “Who am I kidding, you hate everyone.”

The rest of his family didn't challenge that, in fact; they all practically agreed with body language. Eli was almost offended. But, he had to agree as well, to be honest...

Eli sighed heavily, ignoring the placid conversations around him. He wasn't looking forward to tomorrow. Or the next. Or the day after that. Or every school day until summer vacation.

Not only was Shin Soohyun his homeroom teacher; he also had to put up with him for the astronomy class he signed up for. He would just skip both classes; but his parents would absolutely murder him if they found out. And they would find out; that's for sure. Eli is the 'bad seed' of the Kim family (their branch of the Kim family, anyway), so his parents kept a close eye on him. One step out of line, and he would be grounded for the week.

Eli had a feeling he would be grounded a lot this school year.

“May I be excused?” he asked, looking up from his plate.

Judging by the sudden, uncomfortable silence that just ensued, Eli had interrupted a humorous conversation. Not that he really cared, anyway. He really just wanted to go to his room and take a nap. Or finish unpacking.

“Yeah, sure...” his dad finally said, nodding. Eli muttered his thanks and stood, taking his dishes to the kitchen sink and headed upstairs.

As soon as Eli opened the door to his room, he groaned loudly. He was the only one in his family that still hadn't settled in yet. Box after box after box were scattered about the floor. He hadn't even bothered to unpack his bedsheets; only the pillows and blankets.

He twisted his mouth around in contemplation.

Sighing, he took off his shirt and pants, crawling into his bed for the rest of the night.


 

School.

What a drag.

Eli sighed, taking a drink of his tea at the breakfast table. Every morning, his mom made everyone a cup of Earl Gray Tea. And every morning, Eli put half a can of Red Bull in his because he hated the taste and his mom wouldn't let him leave without finishing it.

Though, he was starting to think that he should refuse it to get out of school that day.

“Bye, mom!” his younger sister exclaimed, standing up from the table and grabbing her bag.

Their mom immediately objected. “Hey, wait, you didn't finish your tea!” But, she was already out the door.

“What's with her?” Eli asked suddenly, wondering why in the world someone would be excited about going to school so damn early in the morning.

His other sister scoffed, sipping her tea delicately. “A boy from across the street is giving her a ride. He's in your grade.” she rolled her eyes.

Eli dismissed it with a shrug of his shoulder. Oh well. Not like he cared. Unless the guy was a total creep, then he would waste him if he tried to touch his little sister. But, no. Eli knew what type of person she likes. Tall, sweet, charming smile with a way with words. She was good at seeing people's true colors and intentions.

It was so hard trying to lie to her.

Clearing his throat from the sleepy haze; Eli stood. “Alright, I'm off.” he slung his backpack over his shoulder and grabbing his keys off the table by the front door.

“Be good!” his mom yelled after him. Eli offered up a lazy wave over his shoulder as he walked out the door. Those two words have followed him every school morning since he broke a girl's nose on the playground in second grade. To this day, Eli still swears it was an accident.

Eli tossed his backpack in the passenger's seat and turned the key in the ignition. As he backed out of the driveway he took another gulp of his Red Bull. He had decided to be agreeable this morning with Mr. Shin, because the last thing he needed was a teacher he saw twice a day hating him. Not to mention that he was his homeroom teacher. When parent teacher conferences roll around; he would be the only teacher his parents spoke to; on behalf of all his other teachers.

Mr. Shin had the power to ruin his academic life, which in turn would ruin his home life. Which would ruin his social life, which would ruin his whole life.

Honestly, the more he thought about this guy, the more reasons he found to hate him.

Eli found a spot near the faculty parking and settled his car in the stall. He was glad he wouldn't have to walk clear across hell's half acre to get the the school then back to his car.

He checked the time on his phone before getting out of his car. He was early... Way early.

Okay, there was only 15 minutes until the first bell rang. But Eli never showed up on time. Ever. He was confused; it's not like he was eager for his first class (or any of the classes after, for that matter). Yet, here he was. Walking up to the school building as the majority walked through the doors as well.

He didn't like the feeling.

So, he leaned against the wall in the Commons, examining the statue of the school mascot put up when the school opened in 1991. He had to admit; this school had the coolest mascot he'd ever heard of. Eli was almost proud to be a Riverside Fox.

Almost.

“Haven't seen you around. What's your name?”

Eli looked over his shoulder toward the voice. Raising an eyebrow, he prepared his reply. “It's Eli.” he turned his head back to the foxes.

“I'm Dean.” the stranger said. “You looked pretty friendly, but I guess I was wrong...” sighing, he turned and walked away.

Eli almost felt bad about the way he had responded to Dean.

Almost.

 

A/N: Heyy, guys ^^ First chapter~~ I'm gonna warn you all now; this is a teacher and student relationship, if you didn't already get thatt... 

But yeah there you go um thanks for reading?? I guess?? orz. 

Good news is I already have blueprints for the next chapter. Bad news is I have the attention span of a graham cracker. So. See you soon hopefully ^3^~♥