The Talk

My Boyfriend's Bestfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae’s hand gripped on his luggage tight. His heart ached as he pondered if he should do this or not. Maybe… Maybe if you see him like this: miserable and nothing left to do but leave, you’d want him back. He knows it’s a desperate move, and he hates himself for thinking of doing it, but there’s no other way. He breathed deeply and knocked on your door in the middle of the night.

 

The pale white angel opened the door. Donghae’s eyes grew vividly wide.

 

“What… What are you…” He said in disbelief. “What gives you the right?!” His fury peaked, pushing Kyuhyun.

 

“Quiet. You’re gonna wake her up!” Kyuhyun whispered angrily, pushing Donghae back outside.

 

“ you!” Donghae cursed.

 

Donghae grumbled and walked away angrily, pulling his bag. “Wait, Hae!” Kyuhyun called.

 

“What do you ing want? You have her! What more do you need?!” Donghae said.

 

“Let’s talk, please,” Kyuhyun said.

 

“There’s nothing to talk about. She already picked you,” he said, storming away.

 

Kyuhyun followed behind. “We didn’t get together. She hasn’t decided what to do yet. She’s feeling guilty about doing this to you and conflicted about being with me because of that. She’s a big mess right now but I’m trying my best to keep her together,” he sighed. “Please, just let me buy you one cup of coffee.”

 

“Fine,” Donghae muttered. The two men went to the hotel cafe. “What do you want to talk about?”

 

Kyuhyun breathed deeply. “I don’t want our friendship to end like this. Come on. We’ve been friends since we were kids. Are we really going to fight because of Kyesin?”

 

“Why don’t you put yourself in my shoes, Kyuhyun?” Donghae hissed.

 

Kyuhyun sighed. “You have a point. But still, Hae, you’re my best friend. I’m sorry I fell for the girl you like, but we don’t have to go butting heads like this.”

 

Donghae clenched his fist and locked his jaw. “I thought you were my friend, Kyuhyun! Do friends kiss their best friend’s girl? Do they take her on trips and sleep in one bed? No!” He gritted. “I trusted you, and yet this is how you repay my trust?”

 

Kyuhyun sighed. “You know that I didn’t expect this to happen either. You left her in my care and I just did my job. But along the way, I got to see why you fell for her and so I also did. You can’t control these kinds of things, Donghae. My love for her isn’t branded with lust. She makes me happy, Hae. That when I’m with her, it’s sunshine and rainbows. That even though it isn’t my job to protect her anymore, I still wanted to do it.”

“But you can control flirting with her, right? You can control yourself not to go in her room and sleep in the same ing bed!” Donghae said angrily. “Do you think I don’t feel that way too? Do you think she doesn’t make me happy as well? That when she smiles, everything is always better?”

 

“I didn’t mean it like that,” Kyuhyun said.

 

“I don’t think we could ever mend our friendship with just a talk, Kyuhyun,” Donghae said.

 

“I know,” Kyuhyun sighed.

 

“What if I ask you to stay away from her?”

 

“I can’t do that,” Kyuhyun shook his head. “Besides, it won’t be my choice. If she wants me to leave, then I will. But if she wants me by her side, then I will be there.”

 

“That was all you had to do, Kyuhyun… you just had to stay away from her… I felt you may have had feelings for her the moment I got back. And then I saw the way you looked at her at the amusement park, and I knew I was right. All you had to was stay away and none of this wouldn’t have happened!”

 

“I did! I did try, Hae! I swear, when you came back, I tried so hard to keep my distance. You’re my best friend, Hae. I didn’t want to ruin that. But… I don’t know… The pain seeing you two together was much more overwhelming than I expected… I found myself holding on to her… that I wanted her for myself as well. No matter how much I try to be just a friend, I can’t. I’ll never see her that way. Hae, please. If we can’t fix our friendship anymore, then at least let her have what she wants. Please, do it for her. She has suffered enough.”

 

“You know what? Fine. Have her. I know I will never as long as you’re around. I’m leaving. But remember this, Kyuhyun. The moment you make her upset, even just the slightest bit, I’ll be there to pull her away from you, understand? No matter what she says, I’ll make sure you won’t ever see her again.”

 

Donghae stood up. “There’s one more thing I need to tell you,” Kyuhyun spoke.

 

“What?!”

 

“You may want to sit back down,” Kyuhyun said. “It’s not going to be nice.”

 

“Nothing has been nice tonight, Kyuhyun,” Donghae pressed.

 

“If you ever feel like hitting me, don’t hold back,” he said.

 

“What? So that you’d get sympathy from Kye? To make me look like the bad guy? That I was holding her back?”

 

“I didn’t say that,” he sighed.

 

“What then?! Just spit it out, Kyuhyun!”

 

Kyuhyun breathed deeply. “I’m sorry Hae… I slept with her… I slept with Kyesin.”

 

“You don’t have to state the obvious, Kyuhyun.”

 

“No… I mean… I… We… Had ,” Kyuhyun spoke.

 

Donghae froze. “I… I can not tell you what to do or what not to do.” His hand was clenched in a hard fist.

 

“I did it… with her… when you were still dating… the night before you introduced us,” Kyuhyun said.

 

Donghae spun around. “What?!” He spitted. Fury was rising again. “You… How dare you touch her like that?! How dare you?! she was pure! What have you done?! I was supposed to be the first one! Me!!!”

 

“We were both drunk. I wasn’t thinking right,” Kyuhyun said. “I’m sorry we kept it from you. It didn’t mean anything to her, I swear. She was devastated by the time she woke up. Don’t be mad at her. It was all my fault.”

 

“That is no excuse for you to my girlfriend!” Donghae said angrily at Kyuhyun. His hand, clenched into a fist, flew at Kyuhyun’s face. He gripped on Kyuhyun’s jacket. “Tell me… Tell me it didn’t mean anything to you, too. Tell me it was all just a drunken mistake!”

 

Kyuhyun looked down and shook his head. “I can’t. I’m sorry...” He whispered. Another punch.

 

“What do you mean you ing can’t?!” Donghae shouted, enraged. The cafe was empty but the baristas, and they were all looking at the scene.

 

“Means I didn’t approach her that night just to have a good time!” Kyuhyun said, on the verge of tears.

 

“ you, Kyuhyun!” Donghae cursed.

 

“Go on, Hae. I deserve to be beaten up more. Hit me,” Kyuhyun said. “Take out all your anger towards me. I deserve this.”

 

Donghae bit his lip with tears in his eyes. His hands was clenched in a tight fist, ready to blow Kyuhyun another punch. But his hand wavered and the rage was making him shake. He let go of Kyuhyun. “I… I don’t know if we can ever be friends again after this, Kyuhyun. Don’t try calling me again, ever,” he said. Donghae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter