A Thousand Years.

A Thousand Years

 

The first time you caught Kai’s eyes, he had felt a sense of familiarity in your presence, it was as if he already knew you. Kai couldn’t brush off the feeling and found himself looking your way every now and then, the professor’s lecture up front completely forgotten.
 
The first class of Kai’s first day in University went by in a flash, his notebook empty and his heart full. Kai’s gaze lingered on you as you closed your coiled notebook and held it against your chest. You pushed your thick-framed glasses up then got up, ready to leave for your next class. Kai watched as you walked across the room and out the door, the image of your back facing him also familiar.
 
The first month of University had passed and Kai was glad he made it out alive. He made new friends and loved most of his courses, the only thing he had yet to accomplish is to talk to you. Kai would find himself double checking how he looked in the mirror before walking into his 8AM English Literature class every other day, telling himself that today would be the day he introduces himself. Of course, for a shy and timid male like Kai, he couldn’t bring himself to do so.
 
Another month went by and Kai had made a name for himself amongst the Fine Arts students at the University. Word got around about his exquisite dance skills despite being an English major. Kai didn’t like the attention but he continued going to the open studio sessions anyways. Why? Because you were there, long black hair tied up high into a tight bun and glasses removed to showcase your beautiful eyes. Your movements were elegant and fluid, every grand jeté done with precision and every pirouette completed with grace. Kai didn’t know why the attention was on him when you were clearly the best dancer in the room. Kai kept that opinion to himself though, somehow glad that no other pair of eyes were on you except for his.  
 
Kai walked into the studio early today, his Comparative Literature class had been cancelled. Setting his bag down, he warmed his muscles up and stretched before slipping into his pointe shoes. Kai enjoyed dancing without the attention of the other students. He danced to feel free, free of the rules set by society and free of his day's stress. As his dance neared it’s end, Kai heard some chatter and footsteps, an indication that other people would be coming soon. With a sigh Kai moved towards the end of the room and continued where he left off.
 
As the studio began to fill up Kai looked around, hoping to see you and to his delight he spotted you walking into the room changed and ready. Kai would take a peek at you every now and then during the open studio session, still captivated as ever by your movements. He wondered why someone as amazing as you could go completely unnoticed. Now that he thought about it, he has never seen you interact even once with the students in your shared English Literature class. You always attended and left the open studio sessions by yourself too. Even Kai makes small talk with those who were impressed by his dancing. Deep into his own thoughts, Kai didn’t notice that he was about to bump into another dancer until you looked his way and nodded your head to the right. Kai looked over in that direction and stopped his spin immediately; apologizing quickly to the dancer he almost knocked over. Perplexed by what had just happened, Kai finally gathered up the courage and walked towards you. He tapped you on the shoulder and gasped when you turned around, large brown eyes peering into his.
 
“Thank you for warning me just now.” The corners of your lips rose, a small smile forming as you spoke.
 
“You’re welcome Kai.”
 
“You know my name? Wait, of course you do, we take the same morning class together every other day. Wait, I’m rambling I meant to ask you how you knew I was going to look your way? I mean I uh…” Kai froze and grew embarrassed at the fact he had just confessed to staring at you.
 
“Well, you’re not very discrete Kai.” You knew you shouldn’t be teasing Kai during your first official meeting after so long but you couldn’t help it. Old habits die hard.
 
Kai’s cheeks flushed and he bit his lips lightly before responding.
 
“Oh.”
 
You chuckled and decided to pull him out of his misery; Kai was never good with spoken words.
 
“It’s alright, don’t be embarrassed Kai. I never said I minded did I?”
 
“I’m sorry, I promise I’m not some creep an- huh?” Kai’s eyes grew wide when he realized that you weren’t bothered by his actions.
 
“I said, it’s alright, don’t be embarrassed Kai. I never said I minded did I?”
 
“You don't mind…?” Kai grew silent as he looked at the beautiful smile that graced your soft features, that sense of familiarity coming back again.
 
You remained silent and felt your heart race at the way Kai’s eyes lingered on you. After all these years his presence still has the same effect on you. You felt alive again for the first time in much too long.
 
“Kai?” Kai shook his head slightly, knocked out of his dream like state by your melodic voice.
 
“Huh?”
 
“You’re staring again.”
 
A pink hue scattered across Kai’s cheeks as he looked down at his feet.
 
“Sorry…”
 
“It’s alright.”
 
Kai couldn’t put it into words but he knew a conversation like this couldn’t just happen between two strangers. The effect you had on him, on his heart, just didn’t make sense. It was like you knew him; it’s as if you know him better than he knows himself.
 
“I hope this isn’t too sudden but are you busy after the open studio session?” Kai stood in front of you awkwardly as you pretended to contemplate on your answer. Of course you had time; you have all the time in the world.
 
“Mmm, nope, I’m free. Why?”
 
The image of daisies and the scent of apples and cinnamon suddenly appeared in Kai’s mind, his original question of asking you out for a cup of coffee vanishing into thin air.
 
“There’s a nice tea house by here and I was wondering if you’d like to grab a cup of tea with me. They have really great pie there as well. I mean, if you don’t mind going out with a complete stranger like me.”
 
The smile on your face grew as the memories you shared with Kai played like a film in your mind; interlaced hands while walking on the beach at night, lying down side by side in the field in the afternoon and laughing while making a mess in your kitchen to bake the perfect apple pie, your favourite dessert of all time. He doesn’t know it yet but his question just made your day. A part of him still remembers. He remembers.
 
“I’d love to.” 
 
 
 
Fin.