Chapter 1: Weak over a bowl of jjajangmyun

My Road to Miss Korea

 

"Only 2 places left!" The announcer called out. His booming voice soaring across the vast hall and not really helping my nerves at all. If you only know how it feels to wear a tight gown and high heels combo. Especially for someone's who's been wearing sneakers all her life.I am seriously shaking right now, hopefully the camera won't capture me at this state. But by the way the odds are stacking up against me, only 2 places left? I doubt if the camera would even capture my face. Standing there, smiling, in a grande poise. My hair did and my face caked with makeup. I wonder why I even joined this. How it all started. If i could remember it was months ago, over takeout food.

 

 

I sighed loudly, hearing the door click open. I really wanted to get out of the weather. It was lashing buckets of rain and it was cold. Very cold. Sometimes mother nature has her periods. But I am not very forgiving since it was her fault I'm drenched from head to toe. Trudging along the hallway leaving footprints of muddy water behind "Home sweet home..." I muttered under my damp scarf.

"YAH UNNIE YA HOME!!!!" I could hear Sandara's roar from the living room. Sandara Park, my roommate or landlady as she likes to refer herslef. I can call her my friend since she was nice enough to let me stay in her apartment. She loves kpop and dramas and....that's practically all there is to her. Oh, and she doesn't like to be called old. She's nearly in her thirties yet I still call her unnie. I call her noona and I'm sure to find myself outside the door with the lock changed.

"YES!!! BACK FROM WORK!!" I shouted back, hanging my coat and scarf on the rack. "Come here then, I ordered take out." Sandara called , with food she'll get my attention. Skipping quietly to the living room I met her squatting with plates of steaming hot food on the low table."Rough night from work?" Sandara said passing me a pair of steel chopsticks."Ye..." I sighed."When the country said it was lacking in nurses they weren't kidding..."

"...Plus there are a lot of stupid drivers recently..." Smiling as Sandara passed me a bowl of jjajangmyun. I breathed out "thanks" stabbing the chopsticks on the noodles and mixing it. It's squelching and slimy  sounds too appetizing for my empty stomach." Eat up you poor thing..." Sandara smiled.I hastily bowed before attacking the jjajangmyun, slurping down the black bean noodles, warming my stomach as it  slid down." Pass me the coke please..." I started coughing.

 "Unnie, can I tell you something..." Sandara smirked, her eyes not leaving me even when she was pouring the coke. At this point I would've noticed she was up to something. Her evil eyes, the way her smirk reaches up to her ears. Unfortunately I was too hungry to notice. Jjajangmyun is one of my weaknesses."Um, don't get mad OK.." She giggled. "Mmmph...."I was busy munching ." Well you know you that your pretty right?" She said. "Yeah, my mom tells me that but she doesn't really count does she."

"And you know you like Miss Korea right?" Her smirk cannot be any wider." Oh yes I do! Why? Are they airing it a month later? Tell me when so I can book off work that way we-" I paused, mouth filled with food. No she didn't. She was smiling so much she was shivering with anticipation....Of which certainly I would not approve of.

"Well your in luck cause I just signed you up for it!!!!!!!!" She screamed in joy.

"PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!!!!!!!!!!"

I sat there, mouth open as we stood motionless. Sandara and pretty much everything beside and behind her, the TV, the door, the picture frames all covered in black bean sauce and noodle strands that I spitted out.