Final

I Hope You Didn't Cry

Baekhyun is a boy. Chanyeol used to be one.

 

He doesn’t know when it happened, or how it happened, because Chanyeol’s memory always goes a bit fuzzy whenever he thinks about it, but what he does know is that he’s no longer the toddler he used to be with loving parents. It was unbelievably confusing and puzzling at first, but throughout his time at the dog shelter, it didn’t take too long to realize the ‘skin’ he was living in.

How he became a golden retriever, he really doesn’t know. But maybe, he thinks, surprisingly intelligently for such a young mind—in human years—that the lady who owns the store has something to do with it. She’s kind of old, with wrinkled skin and eye bags, and she refuses to wear anything other than black.

Maybe, Chanyeol even thinks one day as he lies down in his cage, that there are others like him. Like maybe even the other dogs around him.

But there’s never an opportunity to communicate, if he even knew how to, or if other’s could even understand him. Barks sound like barks, and English still sounds like English. Besides, he thinks as he keeps his jaw shut, watching as streams of customers seem to come in and out of the store despite how scary the owner is, this pet shop seems to be insanely popular, with puppies all around being adopted at a seemingly unending rate.

And instead of being unaccepting to his situation, Chanyeol strangely finds himself falling into his new, yet strange, routine. Perhaps it’s because he wasn’t really given enough time as a human boy before somehow becoming a golden retriever puppy, but he’s shockingly calm. He really doesn’t even miss his parents because he can barely remember, and what’s there too miss if it feels like you never had it in the first place?

Or maybe he accommodates so well because he’s so optimistic.

Some of the other dogs are restless, Chanyeol notes as he rests his chin on his paws, always calling and barking, not that he understands any of the language. But he can tell the dogs want out.

It’s not like he, or any other puppies, are treated poorly. No, they’re treated wonderfully, other than the fact that they rarely get let outside. The only time he’s really been out of his cage was when he was walking around in the store. And even then, only one puppy would be out at a time.

But when the restless dogs continue to call out, seldom staying quiet, he can see the customers begin to veer away, and then the scariest look falls upon the owner’s wrinkled and dotted face.

 All Chanyeol knows is that the puppy gets taken away, only to be replaced by another, and is never seen again. So, he decides he really doesn’t want to find out what happened, perfectly content with his uneventful schedule.

As time passes, Chanyeol realizes, maybe he does want to get out. But he’s not going to achieve it by barking, because that future is too uncertain.

No, Chanyeol wants to be out of the store, in the park, to have room to really run around. Chanyeol realizes that he wants to be adopted. He wants to have a family. He wants to be cared for, and made happy, and in return care for someone else, and make someone else happy. Chanyeol eagerly wants to be adopted, and with every customer, he puts on the best show he can possibly give, letting all the hands pet him wherever they want, obediently following commands and fingers.

The difference between Chanyeol and the dogs that are taken away by the shop owner is that Chanyeol wants to be owned and loved while the other dogs simply want to escape the binding metal bars of their cages.

Sadly, despite all of Chanyeol’s obedient and diligent efforts, the difference between him and the dogs that do get adopted is that he’s almost too energetic while all the other dogs that do get to have loving families are calm and impossibly cute.

But being the optimistic self he is, Chanyeol tries to make changes to himself, but nobody still adopts him. Perhaps it’s in his nature to be so energetic, despite his efforts to calm himself, or maybe he really isn’t what the people are looking for.

So as the days pass by, the weeks pass by, and even a couple of months pass by, and Chanyeol seems to still be unadopted. He’s growing a little bigger, but not nearly as fast as a normal dog should have.

Maybe it’s because he wasn’t a dog to begin with, and that maybe he’ll age as a human would, but that’s the least of his worries.

Now, instead of fretting over the loving owners he expects to have, he frets over the fact that the opportunity may soon slip away.

At the pet store, he really hadn’t seen many dogs who couldn’t be adopted, though he did see a few. The time frame seemed to be about six months. And with his own deadline approaching, as marked by the calendar on the wall across from his caged marked with red X’s, it was just like watching the timer for his own fate, because all the other dogs who didn’t get adopted were taken to the back of the store and never seen again.

Chanyeol not only wants to avoid an ending like that because he has a feeling it isn’t a good one, especially since the store owner doesn’t seem to be someone who would see through a happy ending for her dogs, but rather one who simply cares for profit, but because he wants to, no, he desires a family to love, and for a family to love him.

Because, locked up in a little cage for so long with little genuine interaction with anybody takes a toll on his own confidence and sanity.

So as the time slips by, Chanyeol begins to lose any confidence that he’s going to have a nice family, let alone even being adopted by at least someone.

And as his mood depreciates, so does the number of interested customers in him. He’s like the one kid in a class who never seems to be noticed anymore, always outshined and beaten by others in the competition for the teacher’s attention.

So when the last day rolls around, just hours before the shop is due to close, Chanyeol is 99% hopeless. But he’s still holding on by a thread that someone might want him, because it’s in his nature to at least stay a bit positive.

Tick, tick, tick

The sound of the clock’s second hand continually irritates Chanyeol, and at this point, only half an hour away from closing time, he’s completely done. He rests his head on his paws and lets his eyes shut, because if nobody has come all day to the store, than certainly nobody will come now.

Just as Chanyeol’s about to drift off for what might possibly be his last nap, the bell above the front door of the store chimes and his eyes snap open.

He sees a little brown haired boy walk in with his parents, an animated smile on his face as he looks around. The parents look happy, and with just one glace Chanyeol can tell it’s the boy’s birthday.

He still has a few strips of confetti lingering in his hair, and with the loving way his mom picks them out, or simply the proud grin the father’s wearing, Chanyeol can tell this family is a really great one, and it only makes him feel sadder that he probably won’t ever have one as his own.

Chanyeol sees the parents speak to the wicked old shop owner, who would probably be glad for a sale especially there hadn’t been much business at all that day. He watches as the boy looks around, half-hoping he’ll be noticed and loved, but also half-hoping he won’t even be seen in case he only gets let down again.

But then the boy’s eyes flit right over to Chanyeol, and he expects them to flick away just as soon as they came, but they don’t. They hold Chanyeol’s gaze, and Chanyeol in turn is just as entranced. His brown puppy eyes just stare, not even noticing that the boy as come closer, and before he knows it, the little lock on the cage is being clicked open, and hands are being outstretched towards him.

Maybe his loss of hope has worn away at some of his confidence, but Chanyeol timidly scoots forward from the back of his cage, sniffing slightly at the boy’s oh-so-pretty fingers. He hears a laugh, and it’s the most pleasant thing he’s ever heard, so he takes a little at the fingertips.

He hears that wonderful sound again and crawls even further from his cage, practically hanging outside the swinging doors as the hands reach up to scratch softly at his head.

“Hi,” the boy breathes softly, and Chanyeol is simply entranced, head nuzzling into the caressing fingertips, “My name is Baekhyun. And yours is…?

‘Baekhyun,’Chanyeol thinks in his head, even his name is beautiful. He lifts his chin up to show his collar. It has his name, the title of the pet shop he belongs to, and the phone number to the store in case he somehow got lost, which is close to impossible.

Chanyeol can feel the little medallion of his collar get lifted, and he takes a quick at the fingers again.

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun whispers, and Chanyeol nods his head. “You’re really smart, aren’t you?” Baekhyun laughs softly, intrigued by the way the puppy seemed to understand his words.

And Chanyeol nods again, and he knows, he knows, that Baekhyun is the one. Baekhyun must be the one who’ll take him home, the one who will love him and nurture him. Chanyeol is sure that his is the day he’s been waiting for, the perfect chance of fate that he’s been destined to have. So it’s no surprise when Baekhyun waves his parents over, one hand continuing to rub behind Chanyeol’s slightly big puppy ears.

“Have you decided, honey?” Baekhyun’s mother asks, and from what Chanyeol can tell, she seems to be beautiful, kind, and the one who raised Baekhyun so beautifully.

And then Baekhyun nods, and even if Chanyeol expected it, the way in which Baekhyun shows it, his excitement, his genuine joy, it makes Chanyeol’s heart flutter because he feels special, and needed, and most importantly, significant.

“Good choice,” Baekhyun’s father chuckles from his spot over at the counter, and Chanyeol immediately knows where the boy got his good looks. He signs a couple of documents a few times, and after a quick revision by the shop keeper, he gets handed the sheets back. “Well, I have all the paperwork done, we can get going.”

Chanyeol soon feels arms encircling his little body, and he looks up to see Baekhyun grinning from ear to ear, and then he feels the most genuine warmth and joy spreading through every inch of his body.

“Okay, let’s go,” Baekhyun smiles cheerfully, his encircling arms tightening around the soft body.

“No leash?” His mother asks with an amused smile and a pat on her son’s head, glad to see her pride and joy so genuinely happy. She knew he wanted a pet, but how much he wanted it she really didn’t know.

“Nope,” Baekhyun says when he waltzes forward, past his parents with Chanyeol securely in his grasp, “I know he won’t run loose.” And then as if to prove Baekhyun’s point, Chanyeol lifts his chin up, not hesitating to the boy’s chin in affection.

The little bell on the shop door rings as Baekhyun practically skips out into the sunlight with his new pet and soon to be source of daily joy.

“Good choice?” Baekhyun’s mother laughs softly, and her husband nods.

“Good choice.”

His parents also walk out of the shop, hand in hand, and Baekhyun is running with his new puppy in his arms down the sidewalk, eager to get home.

That day marked the beginning of Chanyeol’s new, glorious adventure with a boy who he would soon be destined to be with. Though it’s not like either were really aware of it.

 

“Channie!” Six year old Baekhyun calls. It’s only been a week and a half since the adoption and the two haven’t seemed to have left one another’s side.

And Chanyeol comes bounding down the wooden floored hallway towards Baekhyun, who is sitting just at the other end. His arms are wide open, and they wrap tightly around Chanyeol when the puppy jumps up into his arms. And Chanyeol goes to town at Baekyun’s hands and cheeks, his favorite way of demonstrating his affection.

“Time to take you out,” Baekhyun chuckles, and Chanyeol only grows more excited because Baekhyun will be the one going out with him this time, and not his parents.

It’s not that Chanyeol dislikes Baekhyuns parents. No, not at all.

It’s just that Chanyeol’s parents have to take him out when Baekhyun’s napping, and Chanyeol’s parents like to use a leash just in case their brand new puppy runs off somewhere and gets lost.

Baekhyun doesn’t need to use a leash, because he knows Chanyeol will never run away. If anything, Chanyeol walks as close to Baekhyun as possible.

And so, the pair dash out the door, with Baekhyun yelling back, “I’ll be out with Channie!”

“Be careful! And be back for lunch, okay?”

“Got it, mom!”

And the shuts as Baekhyun runs after Chanyeol, who’s already dashed out in front to loop around again, waiting for his buddy.

Although he’s in a puppy’s body, nothing really seems different for Chanyeol. He doesn’t eat dog food because Baekhyun insists that dogs should eat what people eat too. He still gets to play, no matter what situation he’s in. He learns, because he likes to look over Baekhyun’s shoulder as he does his homework. And most of all, he feels.

Chanyeol feels the same joy and happiness Baekhyun feels when they’re together.

Chanyeol also feels a sense of responsibility as he grows alongside Baekhyun, and a sense of worry.

 

It’s a warm, sunny day. They’ve been together about a year now, and nothing has become monotonous. Chanyeol cherishes every moment he has with Baekhyun, and vice versa.

So while they’re walking down the street together, Baekhyun’s humming happily.

Baekhyun has a really pretty voice, Chanyeol realizes, and he’s talented. Baekhyun’s even composing his own songs at such a young age. Granted, they’re not hit singles or tracks good enough to be on an album, but they’re definitely advanced for his age.

As Baekhyun hums and walks, he forgets to pay attention to where he’s going as he walks towards the intersection. He’s always been a little too focused at times.

Chanyeol is almost too focused on Baekhyun’s voice, Baekhyun’s smile, the sun reflecting off of Baekhyun’s glowing skin, and Baekhyun. The key word is almost, because he notices that Baekhyun’s not really paying attention to where he’s going.

Chanyeol barks once as he eyes the ever closer intersection. The pedestrian walking light is flashing. They’ll need to stop because there won’t be enough time to cross.

But Baekhyun doesn’t hear the barks of urgency over his own humming and his own thoughts inside his head. He’s about to step onto the street when he feels a tug at the bottom of his pants, and he stops, turning to look at Chanyeol.

He’s puzzled by the look of absolute fright and worry reflected in Chanyeol’s deep brown eyes. The feeling of confusion is fleeting, because a split second later, there’s a loud sound of a car engine passing by, followed by a strong breeze that makes Baekhyun stumble further onto the sidewalk and away from the dangerous road.

And then it takes a moment for the adrenaline of surprise to run through Baekhyun’s veins before he lets out a held breath.

Chanyeol is no longer tugging him into safety but rather rubbing up against Baekhyun’s leg in pure relief and to offer comfort.

And then Baekhyun crouches down before sitting back on his feet, encircling Chanyeol’s now slightly bigger body with his arms. And not long after, Chanyeol can feel Baekhyun’s body begin to shake as his breathing becomes ragged.

And then he can feel the wetness on his fur, and looks up to see the tears leaving little streaks down Baekhyun’s face.

Chanyeol whimpers softly before away drops that threatened to fall from the boy’s chin.

Baekhyun gasps softly in surprise at the action, but he calms soon after from the gesture of affection. It only takes a few more moments to stop the tears completely and to stand up again, Chanyeol still in his arms.

“Thanks, Channnie.”

And Chanyeol responds with another .

That day marked the beginning of Chanyeol’s job as Baekhyun’s guardian.

 

As Chanyeol and Baekhyun spend even more time together, two years pass at an alarmingly fast rate.

And the instances where Chanyeol protects Baekhyun have also increased exponentially. Whether he be chasing off some jealous neighborhood bullies, or making it easier for Baekhyun to meet friends by attracting kids, Chanyeol’s done all he’s can to make Baekhyun’s life a happy one.

But being inside a dog’s body, Chanyeol grows and develops at a much faster rate.

And being a little too big to play rough with Baekhyun, accidents were bound to happen.

 

Perhaps it happened because Chanyeol was a bit too hyperactive. Or maybe because Baekhyun teased a bit too much, or because he was a bit little for his age.

“Channie, what are you doing?” Baekhyun asks as Chanyeol doesn’t respond, busy looking through his box of toys for the plush.

As if he was reading the other’s mind, Baekhyun seemed to know Chanyeol’s target.

“This one?” he asks, holding up a little stuffed animal of a puppy that looked surprisingly similar to Chanyeol as a puppy.

Eyes wide, Chanyeol nods, which makes Baekhyun think that Chanyeol somehow can understand English (he can, though Baekhyun doesn’t know that).

“Here,” Baekhyun calls, extending the toy, and when Chanyeol goes up for it, he’s surprised to have grabbed nothing between his jaws.

“Just kidding!” Baekhyun teases as he runs off, holding the toy as far out of reach as possible. And then Chanyeol growls both playfully and competitively as he gives chase. He quickly makes up the ground, but it’s hard to grab the toy because Baekhyun keeps moving his arms and spinning his body.

Unable to grab the toy while Baekhyun’s laughing and moving, Chanyeol leaps. And being a little big, and Baekhyun being a little small, the two come crashing to the ground with Baekhyun yelping first in surprise, and then in pain.

Chanyeol immediately senses that something’s wrong, and his attention is soon off the cheap toy and onto the priceless Baekhyun who’s holding his bleeding knee.

“Ow,” he mutters, wincing. Chanyeol can tell that he’s holding back tears because his lower lip is trembling and the wetness is already pooling in his eyes.

Chanyeol whimpers softly in apology and attempts to rub up against Baekhyun’s side, but Baekhyun’s not having any of it. He stubbornly scoots away from Chanyeol’s attempt at apology before finally standing up. He limps a few steps towards the door to his house but stops to reprimand Chanyeol.

“Stop following me! This is your fault!” He exclaims angrily past his tears that are leaving tracks down his slightly dirtied cheeks. He stomps off angrily and quickly inside despite the throbbing of his knee and the trail of blood that’s streaming down his leg.

And Chanyeol whimpers softly in guilt, his ears pressed flat against his head as he backs away.

A little later, once Baekhyun’s been all patched up, Chanyeol hopes that he’s no longer angry.  When he’s sitting on the couch watching TV, his expression is unreadable.  So Chanyeol treads carefully, stopping just short of his feet. And when he gets no response, Chanyeol rubs up slightly against his ankles.

And then Baekhyun purposely moves his feet off the floor and onto the footrest, not even sparing his pet a single glance.

But, Chanyeol is persistent, trying again and again to gain his owner’s attention.

But Baekhyun only gets mad. “Stop it Channie!” he huffs, crossing his arms as he looks away, making it a point to not even have Chanyeol in his peripheral.

Chanyeol knows that Baekhyun can’t be too mad because he still used his nickname, and that offers him both some comfort and some hope.

Chanyeol scurries away, his collar jingling softly as he departs down the hall, and Baekhyun can’t help but sneak a peek, though he wouldn’t let Chanyeol ever know he looked. The jingling briefly fades until there’s no noise, and then it returns. And quickly.

Baekhyun jolts a bit too quickly as he turns his head back towards the TV, pretending that he still didn’t care at all. Luckily, it’s not like Chanyeol could have even seen because the object he carried in his mouth covered his eyes anyways.

He placed it softly on the seat next to Baekhyun and watched expectantly and patiently.

Baekhyun couldn’t help but look, and when he saw the same dog plush from earlier, he couldn’t help but break into a little smile.

And that tiny little smile was enough to make Chanyeol’s heart flutter. And when the smile got bigger, and a hand came out to fondly pet at his head, Chanyeol’s heart pounded in his chest as another feeling of joy spread throughout his body, reminiscent of the day he was chosen; the day he was adopted, just when he wanted to give up.

That day marked the beginning of Chanyeol’s undeniable and unbreakable love for Byun Baekhyun.

 

And yet again, time seems to fly. Baekhyun’s now around twelve, but Chanyeol is nearing his end. After all, a dog’s body only lives for so long.

Chanyeol first noticed when he was running outside with Baekhyun, who as a growing boy was becoming more and more active. Despite being on all fours, he couldn’t seem to keep up.

Baekhyun would run faster and faster, but Chanyeol would start to trail farther and farther behind.

Chanyeol recalls that he noticed just a week ago as well.

Simply out on his daily walk, he found it harder and harder to function, harder and harder to walk, and harder and harder to even breathe.

Baekhyun notices the unusual behavior too, though the thought of Chanyeol’s age, his best friend’s age, has never occurred to him. Perhaps he’s been a bit disillusioned, or maybe he’s trying to fool himself.

But he really doesn’t care that Chanyeol can’t run alongside him, or play outside all the time anymore. As long as his Channie can stay around him forever, he foolishly thinks, then life would just be perfect.

And yes, Baekhyun is under an illusion.

“Baekhyun, we need to talk.” His mother and father’s expressions were somber when he returned from school, and Baekhyun couldn’t understand. His mother’s cheeks had little tear stains, and his father looked genuinely pained.

“Why? What is it?” Baekhyun asks innocently. His father comes over to wrap an arm around his son’s shoulder to guide him over to the couch to sit.

“I’m afraid your mother and I have bad news.” And when his mother suddenly begins sobbing again, Baekhyun knows that something is terribly wrong.

That day marked the death of Baekhyun’s best friend.

“Wh-what?” This can’t be happening, Baekhyun thinks, and he shakes his head. There’s tears in his eyes, because he knows it’s true, but he refuses to willingly believe it.

“N-no way! Stop joking, dad. It’s not funny.”

Baekhyun’s father looks troubled and sends his wife a worried look, but she only shakes her head, gesturing for her husband to come over. They share a mutual look and know that all that their son needs is time.

Baekhyun doesn’t know when his parents left, but he’s sobbing so hard that his small frame uncontrollably shakes, and he knows that Chanyeol is what’s missing as he cries.

Whenever he felt sad before, his Channie was there. Whenever he was frustrated, his Channie was there. And most of all, when he cried his heart out, his Channie was always there.

He eventually falls asleep while crying, the tears still running down his cheeks.

“Channie,” he mumbles, fingers unconsciously grasping at the air.

 

It takes a while. It takes a while for Baekhyun to let go, and forget.

It takes a few years until he’s fully himself again and completely forgotten about his loved pet. It’s really just another form of disillusion, his only form of defense against traumatic events. But it takes all the way up to when he’s graduating high school and going into his first choice of colleges that he’s forced himself to not remember.

It helps that his friends had been supportive. They all knew of his beloved dog, but when Chanyeol was no longer mentioned by Baekhyun, his name not even uttered, they understood.

So, when Baekhyun begins to lie and say that he’s never had a pet, they don’t speak up. They all notice, yet they don’t have the heart to bring up such a sensitive subject again.

And so it appears that Baekhyun’s forgotten about Chanyeol.

But in reality, Baekhyun’s locked up all memories of Chanyeol into a tiny corner of his brain that he hopes will never, ever, come back again.

 

Chanyeol’s not gone. His body died, but Chanyeol has never left. He couldn’t leave Baekhyun. He didn’t want to leave Baekhyun. And so, after the death of his dog body, his human soul couldn’t bear to go off to the heaven that awaited him.

He watched. Every day, he watched and worried over Baekhyun.

His own heart panged and broke seeing Baekhyun cry for so long after his death. But he was glad that Baekhyun was gradually getting better.

But, Chanyeol was still a mess of emotions.

Baekhyun’s emotional recovery struck Chanyeol like a double edged sword.

He couldn’t help but feel relieved that the individual he loves so dearly is happy. But he also couldn’t help but feel hurt and useless that the individual he loves so dearly is so happy without him.

It’s one day that Chanyeol’s watching, like a true guardian angel, that it happens. It’s Baekhyun’s first day going into college, and it’s a type of ‘open-house’ event to let the incoming students get to know one another.

‘Chanyeol.’ A voice speaks, and Chanyeol’s thoroughly confused.

‘You’ve been robbed.’

‘Me?’ He asks no one in particular, since he can’t even determine where the voice is coming from.

‘Yes, Chanyeol. You’ve been robbed of your true life by that damned witch who put you into that dog’s body for her own benefit. You’ve been robbed of your time and what you truly deserve. You’ve been an angel, a true angel. You deserve another try, and you’re getting it. You may be confused at first, but you will understand it soon. Thank you, Chanyeol, for your lack of sin. Thank you.’

And before Chanyeol even fully comprehends what’s going on, or what’s about to happen, or who was even talking to him, his vision all goes white.

That day marked the moment that would change Chanyeol’s very existence, forever.

 

He blinks.

“Honey! How can you be asleep? You were so excited just a few hours ago that you couldn’t even drive yourself!” A woman exclaims from the front seat of the car he seems to be traveling in.

“You know we would have driven our pride and joy anyways,” The man behind the wheel chuckles, pulling into a parking spot.

Chanyeol knows just from the sound of their voices that these are his parents. He can remember from before he was in the body of a puppy. But strangely, as he thinks back, there are memories of him growing up through a normal childhood as a normal boy. And the strangest part is that he also remembers his time as Baekhyun’s puppy.

He’s so confused that he doesn’t realize he’s been pulled out of the car, his concerned mother using a handkerchief to dab at the trail of drool on her son’s cheek.

“Well, go on, son. We’ll call you after your little orientation to move your furniture into your dorm room,” His father says, giving his son a pat on the shoulder before pushing him ahead towards the streams of students.

“Oh! Don’t forget your gift, Chanyeol!” His mother exclaims, rushing forward to hand her son a bag.

“Yes mom, I know, I know,” Chanyeol replies. He would’ve been surprised at his answer, but the amount of closeness he feels with his parents makes him know that he’s grown up with them in some strange split universe. In fact, the more he thinks about his past, the clearer the moments as a boy are, and he can hardly remember his memories as a pet. Whose pet again? He can’t remember. In fact, he’s not even sure he can what kind of animal he was. Or if he even was an animal?

And as he strolls down to the orientation meeting to meet his roommate, the gift in hand, he doesn’t even remember any past other than the one of a normal boy.

 

Baekhyun nervously walks into orientation. He’s all alone, and he’s never really done ‘alone’ or ‘independent’ that well. His eyes flit quickly from sign to sign, first looking for the dorm building he’s staying at. And when he finds it, he’s greeted by some of the upperclassmen running his dorm.

He smiles nervously, exchanges a few handshakes, and reads out his room number for someone to guide him.

“Hey, you’re right over there. Your roommate should be there already, we saw him earlier. He’s a giant,” the upperclassman chuckles, giving Baekhyun a nudge in the right direction before turning to another freshman.

“Thanks,” Baekhyun mutters shyly, walking over to the area labeled with his dorm room number.

 

Chanyeol’s chatting with someone else in his dorm as he waits for his roommate to arrive.

He’s chuckling when his gaze leaves his companion and onto a rather short boy.

His attention is suddenly locked onto the boy, who’s also walking closer, and something strikes him. Hard. It’s nostalgia that hits first. He knows this boy, Chanyeol thinks, but from where?

What hits him hard after that isn’t recognition, but it’s a sudden clarity. This boy, the one in the cute little gray sweater and dark jeans, has to be the love of his life.

And no matter how insane or crazy that would sound to any other person, Chanyeol knows that it’s an undeniable truth. And he grins, because he knows it’s meant to be.

 

When Baekhyun looks away from the label with his dorm room number and his gaze falls onto the only individual there, he nearly gasps.

He’s a giant, though that’s not why he’s surprised.

He’s surprised because who he presumes to be his dorm mate looks strikingly familiar.

“Hi, I’m Chanyeol,” the stranger grins, and Baekhyun nearly has a heart attack.

The grin is simply perfect and sparkling. It’s so bright that Baekhyun’s nearly overwhelmed and unable to speak.

In fact, he really is rendered speechless for a moment as he gapes, because Chanyeol.

It’s the same name as the dog, the precious dog, he’s lost years ago.

The memories he’s stored away hit his unprepared mind like a high speed train.

“H-hi,” he finally stammers, and he wants to cry because he never really got over his Channie’s death. All he did was pretend it never even happened.

“Your name is…” Chanyeol trails off with a small chuckle, and Baekhyun blushes a pretty little blush for being so weird.

“Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun,” he smiles, his heart fluttering lightly in his chest.

And when he receives another bright smile, his heart is now pounding so hard that he feels like the whole auditorium of loud students meeting other students can hear his heart beat.

“Nice to meet you, then.” Chanyeol says, unable to stop from smiling because he knows, he knows, that this is who he’ll spend the rest of his life with, and he’ll do anything to secure that future.

“A gift, for you. My new roommate,” he chuckles, holding out a bag.

Baekhyun takes the little red gift bag, and he shakes his head.

“Oh! I didn’t get you anything…I’m sorry…”

“Don’t be sorry, Baek,” The nickname makes a little shudder of delight run down Baekhyun’s spine, and Chanyeol’s deep voice only serves to both calm his nerves and send his body into a complete frenzy, his fingers tingling at the spot where their hands brushed.

“Well, thank you. Really.”

And when Baekhyun opens the gift, he pulls out a little plush. His pounding heart nearly stops, and he gapes.

It’s the little dog plush that he remembers that he and his puppy Channie played with all the time.

“Th-thank you, Channie!” Baekhyun exclaims, because the gift is extremely meaningful to him, though Chanyeol probably doesn’t know, he thinks, and the nickname slips out.

“Channie,” Chanyeol murmurs fondly, taking one of Baekhyun’s hands in his own.

Others might find it strange that two strangers have already become so close.

But, both Chanyeol and Baekhyun feel a strange, but strong, connection.

It’s almost like the fabled ‘red string of fate’. The two share a smile, with Baekhyun gazing up, and Chanyeol gazing down, and the realization hits them both hard at the exact same moment.

That day marked the beginning of a love that would last an eternity.  

 


A/N:

Wow, really sorry that this story took so long to put out! Thanks for sticking around this long, and I hope you enjoyed!