Love Starts Young

Love Starts Young

 

Age 6 & 8

Pow Pow Pow.

“Lie down! I shot you. You’re dead.”

“No I’m not! You shot my arm!”

“Nooo. I shot you in the chest! You’re dead!”

“No I’m not!”

“Yes you are!”

“No!”

“Yes!”

The fight continued for at least another five minutes until they were distracted by a colourful butterfly fluttering past them. Their feud was instantly forgotten as eight year old Luhan ran off to get a jar to catch the butterfly in as little Chanyeol ran around clapping his hands in the air to try and catch the rainbow coloured creature.

“Not like that! You’ll squash it!” Luhan scolded as he ran out, jar open and ready.

“Then you catch it!” whined Chanyeol, pouting at the other.

“I will, just watch me,” retorted Luhan sticking his tongue out.

It took only fifteen minutes of running around for Luhan to tucker out, and Chanyeol another ten to also give in. They collapsed on the grass exhausted, the butterfly teasing them from afar.

“Let’s catch worms next time,” Chanyeol suggested, and Luhan nodded his head in agreement.

“We can make an army of worms.”

“Yes. And then we can capture all the butterflies in the world. Especially all the pretty ones.”

Luhan giggled.

“You like pretty things.”

Chanyeol rolled over and wrapped his arm around the older boy, hugging him tightly.

“I caught you now.”

“I’m not pretty. I’m a boy!”

“I think you’re pretty and you’re all mine,” grinned Chanyeol.

The two giggled and rolled around the grass until unfortunately they were called in by their mothers. It was a rather sorrowful departing as neither wanted to leave just yet but with the promise of getting to stay up ten minutes later before bedtime, it was easy to pry them away from each other. Until tomorrow at least.

 

Age 15 & 17

Kicking his feet in the air, Luhan flicked through a magazine lazily. Chanyeol was sat at a desk pretty much crying over a maths problem.

“Luhan just help me! You’ve already done all this stuff.”

“Meh.”

“Luhan!”

“Alright, what’s up?”

Luhan closed the magazine over and got off Chanyeol’s bed so he could hover over Chanyeol and the problematic question. He rolled his eyes at the easiness of it and grabbed the pen out of Chanyeol’s hand.

“It’s easy, you just have to get all the x’s to one side. This is an easy question Yeol.”

“It’s easy for you to say, you’re a genius.”

“And you Yeol, are a geniuses best friend,” grinned Luhan.

After pretty much doing Chanyeol’s homework for him, Luhan flopped back down on Chanyeol’s bed and let out a very loud dramatic sigh.

“What’s up?” asked Chanyeol, pushing his maths book over.

“There’s this girl-“

“Oooh does my Luhan have his first crush?” grinned Chanyeol excitedly.

“Shut up! Anyway… There’s this girl in my class, and she’s cute and stuff you know.”

“You’re cute too. So what’s the problem? You should ask her out.”

“I want to. But… she has experience you know.”

“And you’re afraid you’re gonna at kissing and then she’ll embarrass you?”

“Yeah. Pretty much.”

“Then kiss someone?”

“I can’t just kiss someone. They’ll think I’m a freak Yeol.”

“Kiss me then.”

“Dude what? That’s kind of gay…”

Luhan frowned for a moment, but he didn’t look disgusted by the idea. This was Chanyeol of course, had it been anyone else then he would have been slightly freaked by the idea. Chanyeol shrugged his shoulders in response.

“No one would know right? It would just be our secret…”

“I guess…”

Chanyeol fidgeted nervously as Luhan pondered the idea. It would be of course Chanyeol’s first kiss… and his only one for a long time probably. He was fifteen, and in the middle of puberty. His voice was deep now but occasionally he would let out the loud embarrassing squeaky, and he was all limbs at the moment as he began to grow at an alarming rate. Luhan while older was hardly changing and was still as adorable as the eight year old kid Chanyeol once knew him as.

“We take this to our grave then,” Luhan said, sitting up properly so he could stare at Chanyeol.

“Of course. I don’t want people knowing I kissed you,” scoffed Chanyeol getting up and sitting on the bed beside Luhan a little unsure of what to do.

“Don’t be awkward either.”

“Don’t you be awkward then. We’ll do it and then never mention it again okay.”

The two stared of each other, not really sure how they should start. Luhan might have been the older one (and considered better looking in Chanyeol’s opinion) but he definitely wasn’t gutsier. Chanyeol, copying the countless dramas he watched, advanced on Luhan first. Luhan leaned back slightly, not sure if he was ready and then their eyes met. Luhan gulped and stared with wide eyes as Chanyeol leaned closer, and closer, until their lips was suddenly touching. Luhan closed his eyes tightly as Chanyeol pressed a little more firmly, gently putting his hand on the back of Luhan’s neck so he couldn’t pull away. It was clearly their first kiss as noses bumped and teeth clashed as they attempted to part their lips. He was pretty sure he bit Chanyeol’s lip at one point too. That wasn’t good.

They pulled away at the same time, looking at each other with an expression that was a little more than confused.

“That… wasn’t bad.” Chanyeol spoke.

“Let’s never mention this again.”

“Agreed.”

Chanyeol sat down and there was an awkward silence between the two.

“Want to watch a movie?” asked Luhan

“Yes!” Chanyeol replied all too quickly.

 

Age 19 & 21

Luhan’s high school crush never lasted long, which actually relieved Chanyeol for some reason, and the kiss had never been mentioned since. But there was a whole new pressing issue as the two sat in their favourite coffee shop near their university. Chanyeol was half way through his first year while Luhan was in his second.

“You can’t.” Luhan told him, staring at him with wide eyes.

“I have to. It’s the only reason I was able to do my course. I get to do what I want, but then at the end I have to do what my parents want.”

“But why in America! Why can’t you do it here?”

“They think it will be better for me to study in America.”

“Tell them you don’t want to go!”

“Luhan…”

“…you don’t want to go right?” asked Luhan.

“It will be good experience…” Chanyeol mumbled, looking away from Luhan.

Luhan stood up angrily, painfully hitting his knee off the table but gritted his teeth to endure the pain.

“Fine! Go to America!” he yelled before running (or more like limping quickly) away.

Chanyeol, though stunned by the older boy’s outburst, was quick to get up and run after Luhan – it wasn’t hard since the other was now at the end of the street nursing his bruised knee.

“Luhan it’s just a couple of years. And I still have a few years here first.”

“Go away. My knee hurts like a . It’s your fault.”

Chanyeol had the feeling he was being blamed for a little more than what Luhan was letting on.

“Let me have a look at it,” Chanyeol said, kneeling before Luhan and forcing his trouser leg up.

“Y-Yah!” yelled Luhan, trying to hop away but Chanyeol kept a firm grip of Luhan’s ankle.

“Don’t be a baby, anyway it’s not like I haven’t seen your legs before. Stop acting like a girl,” retorted Chanyeol. Revealing Luhan’s now purple knee, Chanyeol blew on it gently and looked up at Luhan with large brown orbs.

“You’ll be fine.”

Luhan gulped and yanked his leg away more successfully this time.

“Go away,” he muttered, turning and limping away once more.

“Luhan why are you acting like this,” whined Chanyeol, catching up and clinging onto his arm, bouncing up and down like an over-grown child.

“Because you’re leaving me!” yelled back Luhan, tears now forming in his eyes. One look at him, and Chanyeol felt like he suddenly knew everything.

He stopped Luhan in his tracks and pulled him in for a tight hug, refusing to let go as the other struggled. Luhan eventually settled where he was and only small sniffles could be heard.

“I would never leave you,” whispered Chanyeol. “Even if I’m not physically here, I couldn’t just abandon you.”

“B-But that’s exactly what you’re doing.”

“Luhan I love you, and you love me too right?” murmured Chanyeol.

Luhan froze in Chanyeol’s arms. He wasn’t exactly sure how to reply. Because it was true, but he hadn’t expected it to turn out like this.

“D-Don’t be silly. We’re both guys…”

“Shut up Luhan,” grinned Chanyeol in amusement. “You’re in love with me, just admit it.”

“You shut up! How can you talk about it so causally?”

“We’ve known each other since we were kids, we were both each other’s first kiss-“

“Hey we said we would never mention that!”

“Oops,” smirked Chanyeol.

“I hate you. Let go.”

“I’ll let you go if you admit you love me.”

“Fine I love you, let me go now.”

Chanyeol let go, and he smiled widely at Luhan whose face had turned a bright pink. Chanyeol couldn’t help but find it extremely adorable but he didn’t dare mention it (because he knew Luhan had a hard punch).

“Since when?” asked Luhan curiously though not quite able to look at Chanyeol.

“Since the kiss. You?” asked Chanyeol in return.

“When I kissed that girl. It wasn’t the same.”

“You said she was the best kisser ever!” gasped Chanyeol.

“I lied,” shrugged Luhan. “I was showing off duh.”

“.”

“.”

“I love you.”

“I hate you.”

“More lies, we should stop that trait of yours.”

“Go to hell.”

“Only if I can go with you.”

“I’m never dating you.”

“Uh huh, how about movie night at mine tonight?”

“Fine.”

 

Chanyeol suddenly crouched down, and looked at Luhan over his shoulder.

“Are you crazy. I can walk! I only bumped my knee!”

“Just get on you stubborn brat.”

Luhan glare but nonetheless wrapped his arms around Chanyeol and allowed the taller boy to carry him. They remained quiet, but Luhan knew that they were meant to be. He closed his eyes an enjoyed the trip while it lasted.

“Wanna try that kiss again?” asked Chanyeol with a grin. “See if you can do it without biting my lip this time?”

“I’m going to murder you in your sleep.”