City Lights

City Lights

 

"If you don't step away you're going to fall off" Tao turned towards the intruder with the deep voice; he had blonde hair and a stern face. A face, he chuckled to himself "That was the plan" "Uh... well I don't think you should jump" he was dressed all in white. Who even dresses all in white? "Why are you dressed in white? Are you an angel?" The other furrowed his brow not expecting the sudden change of subject. "No, I just like white?" "Ow" he turned towards the city with a disappointed expression "I always wanted to meet an angel..." he sat down on the edge of the building swinging his legs, eyes lost in the city lights. Kris fidgeted uncomfortably not knowing what to do. What do you say to a guy who's going to jump off a building?

"Hum you should really step away, it's dangerous" Tao ignored him and just kept staring at the city below and around them. Kris cleared his throat taking a small step foward "But really, you shouldn't jump" "Why? Why should I? I don't have a reason to live, so why should I keep living?" he didn't turn to him to speak, he just crained his neck upwards to stare at the few weak sparkles in the sky. "People don't necessarily need a noble reason to live, or a reason at all. I certainly don't. I keep living because everyday my eyes open and my heart keeps beating" "That may be enough for you Mr-" Tao rolled his head to the side fixing his gaze on Kris's tall figure just a few meters away, scanning him "Blondie-" "Kris, my name is Kris" Tao ignored him and kept talking "but I need a reason to draw another breath, open my eyes and just keep living"

Kris noticed his slurred speech and swaying movements and shook his head in disbelief "Are you drunk?" Tao laughed, head hanging back "Nope" Kris raised his eyebrows skeptically. Who did he think he was fooling? Tao turned to look at him, chuckling when he saw his plain disbelief "But I might have smoked a tiiny bit" Kris shook his head again. Awesome, he was dealing with a high guy about to jump off the building. Tao laughed at him again "You've never smoked before, have you Mr. Blondie?" Kris sighed taking a step foward, and another one when Tao didn't protest "My name is Kris not Mr. Blondie, and no, I've never smoked" Tao nodded humming "You can't understand untill you've tried" Kris shrugged taking another two steps. If he got close enough then maybe he could drag him off or something. Or stop him from falling. "I'm not intrested" Tao made a sound of disapproval scrunching his nose cutely "Then that's your loss Mr. Blondie" "My name is Kris" Tao threw his arms up in exasperation "Names,names,names. What are names?! They're just a word your parents stuck on you. Just a useless unoriginal way to label people. My name is Huang Zitao, some people call me Huang, some call me Zitao, others Tao some even call me Taozi, but who cares? Names don't mean anything" "Well Zitao, names aren't useless. Whithout names how would you call someone? We'd be all the same" another step "And isn't Mr. Blondie just another "stupid way to label me"?" Tao smirked "I said useless unoriginal way, and at least I'm more original. Nobody would call their son Mr. Blondie" Kris took another step. He was just a couple of meters away from him now and could properly see his face. Tao had feline features with dark rings under his eyes, ink black straight hair and pale skin. He was quite attractive , Kris had to admit.

"How can you do it?" Kris blinked confused, taken aback by another change of subject. "Do what?" Tao gestured with his hands vaguely "Keep...living. Without a reason" Kris shrugged "I just do" "But how? How can you keep living without meaning? How can you keep living with no reason to open your eyes, breathe, 'live your life'?" "I don't know, I just live" Tao scrunched his nose again, unsatisfaied with the answer.

He turned toward the city and started swaying to some invisible beat. What a stupid saying, he thought. The beat was invisible, shouldn't they say imaginary, non-existent, unhearable, instead?

"Stop swaying, it's dangerous" Tao huffed "You're boring. Just because it's dangerous it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. If you don't risk in life you don't accomplish anything" Kris sighed but didn't comment. Maybe his life was a bit boring and without risks, but he liked it this way. It was safe. Really? Are you sure this is what you want?

He huffed too, wondering when voices had started to appear in his head. So maybe he wasn't completely satisfied with his life. But who was?

"I really don't think you should be doing this while you're high" he said instead, making Tao laugh. He wondered what was so funny about him, to make Tao laugh this much. Maybe it was the weed. "It's not like I'm going to regret it in the morning"

Kris walked closer to him, roughly a meter away now, worried by his words. From this distance he could see his dilatated pupils and the red that circled them. "If you don't care then think about somebody you care about. Don't you have anyone who would care if you jumped?" Tao shrugged his shoulders "I can't believe it. There must be someone" "Nobody of importance. They'd survive and forget me eventually. Like everything" "Then think about me. I'd care if you jumped" "Why? Because you'd feel guilty for letting me die?" he turned to face him "Then jump with me. You don't have a reason to live either, and they say falling feels like flying. Haven't you ever wondered what flying feels like? How it feels to let everything go and just be free in the air?" "I'm not going to jump off a building just to know what flying feels like. You're not either" Tao laughed at him "Maybe I should change your name to Mr. y. You already have a face" Kris frowned grimacing "Yeah I get that a lot" Tao's eyes widened "I'm surpried anyone has the courage to do it" "You have" "I don't have anything to lose. And several years of wushu by my side" This time it was Kris to raise his eyebrows. Tao didn't look like someone to do a martial art. "But don't worry, I like your face. It's amusing" "Comforting" he said sarcasm thick in his voice. The other just laughed again.

"Come sit here next to me" he patted the concrete by his side "Promise I won't bite. Oh, well I can't actually promise that, but I promise not to push you down" he smiled amusedly at Kris's weirded expression. "You're weird, has anyone ever told you that?" Kris questioned while sitting down next to him. "Yep. It's the greatest compliment one could give. Being different is the key of everything"

They sat in silence after that, both lost in their thoughts, or just pretending to. "Not that I'm complaining, but so far you haven't even tried to jump" Tao shrugged looking at the sky, an amused smile still stretching his lips. Kris didn't understand what the other saw in the sky, with all these lights there was hardly anything but the dark bluish-black to see. "I don't know if I actually want to do it. I'm just considering it as a life changing experience" he chuckled at his own joke. He sure didn't look like he desperatly wanted to end his life, jumping off buildings or else. He just looked... complicated. Like a person it would take you time and effort on both sides to understand. And only if he let you in, allowing you to see fragments of him and how he saw the world and really thought. That's the feeling he got off him as he stared at his profile. And that feeling intrigued him, made him want to understand and know him better. He shook his head at his own thoughts. Talking with him must've messed with his head.

"You know, even if you jump, you're not necessarily going to die. There are a lot of people that fall off buildings and survive. Paralized, with a few broken bones or even some without as much as a scratch" "Still life changing" Kris shook his head smiling in spite of himself. "I don't think you want to jump" he challenged "No I don't" he glanced at him surprised, not expecting him to agree immediately "I only came here tonight because I knew you'd be here. I only sat here waiting for you to make your night worth living and life changing" the amazing thing was that he said all this with a straight face. Unbelivable.

He ignored the weird feeling his words and eyes gave him. "Oh really" he said, voice dripping sarcasm. "Yes" the other nodded his face completely serious, less the glint his eyes always carried "To change the way you see things, life. To make you realize you should do that thing you always wanted to do, go to that place, kiss that person you always wanted to but didn't have the courage to do it... because life is too short to waste it like this. Everything flies by so fast, nothing stayes. You have to enjoy it while it lasts, savour every moment while you have it before it flies away and never comes back. You were born to die anyway, might as well just enjoy all the time you have left" this time the one to laugh was Kris. "And I should take life lessons by a pothead who considers jumping off a building because "it's a life changing experience" and he "wants to know what flying feels like"?" Tao shrugged not even offended by the other's sarcastic tone. "You can learn something from everybody, everywhere, everyday" Kris shook his head amusedly.

"I still think you don't want to jump" Tao shrugged again, staring in the distance "Maybe not, who knows. Maybe I just need a distraction. Maybe I just need a reason to don't jump, to keep living"

They sat in silence, Kris not knowing what to say and Tao... who knew what went through his head?

The air between them filled with the noise of the street below, the wind carrying the noises and smells of the city around them.

"There's so much beauty when your eyes lay lost in all the city lights" Tao murmured "The wax will drip as so as blood, romance is dead and all is lust" Tao glanced at him surprised "You are the water in my lungs, we've lost it. We are all alone" he finished. "You know this song?" "Yeah it's nice" "You know that song is about suicide, right?" "Kind of figured it, yeah" Tao hummed "Just nice doesn't seem like an appropriated adjective" Kris shrugged "Maybe you're not that boring afterall" Tao mused nudging him on the arm playfully, earning a halfhearted glare. Silence befell them, neither feeling the urge to fill it with words, as there weren't any of much importance or interest to exchange. Kris feeling relieved and more at ease knowing Tao wasn't going to jump off at any moment.

The door to the roof opened and they both turned to find a short boy with chubby cheeks that strangely resembled a pixie. "There you are" he walked closer his eyebrows raising when he noticed Kris "And who is he?" he asked Tao, who only shrugged getting up "A blonde angel" the guy narrowed his eyes "You're high again, aren't you?" Tao laughed "Maybe" the other rolled his eyes "Sehun's looking for you, it must be something very important if he disentangled himself from Luhan" they both laughed at some joke Kris couldn't understand and Tao turned towards him. "See you around" then they disappeard behinde the door, leaving Kris to wonder what the hell did he just waste his night for.

 

 

 

 

Hope you liked it! The song mentioned and that inspired this story ,kind of but not exactly, is City Lights by Motionless In White. It's a really nice song, you should check it out ^^ also got inspired by Kris's teaser, that's why he was dressed in white lol. So hum comment to let me know what you think?