-01。

folding in your midst
It’s another Saturday afternoon at her place. Saturdays at her house, Sundays at his. It’s a cycle they haven’t broken for years. 

 

She’s blasting some light tunes in the background and sitting at her desk, eyebrows furrowing as she puts her expertise to use. Kevin watches her nimble fingers in the midst of folding a siege of colorful paper cranes, adding to her collection of intricately crafted origami pieces situated on her shelf. From flowers, to turtles, to pencils, to jars full of tiny lucky stars; just about everything she made was on that shelf. The younger of the two was trying to occupy himself by reading his book, but it wasn't able to keep his attention as he'd wanted. He spends their time together content with observing Sunny and her paper folding. The comfortable, laidback atmosphere puts them both in a good mood. Their light, bubbly conversation is not awkward in the slightest. As bits of mellow acoustic guitar and soft vocals meld in the air, Kevin wonders if they’re real. 

 

“Are we real?” Kevin blurts out inquisitively, eyes imploring. It wasn't always that he spoke without carefully considering what to say, causing Sunny mild surprise.

 

She takes a glance back at her raven haired companion with her eyes peeking out of her no lens glasses. She’s wearing her favorite chocolate brown frames, the round ones with the baby blue tips at the end. She snorts, reaching for another piece of colored origami paper and goes, “Silly.” Sunny turns around, leans forward, and taps his nose. 

 

Sunny resumes her work and Kevin leans back on his hands, yearning for more of an answer. He raises his legs onto her bed and positions himself crosslegged. “Sun, I mean it.”

 

“Mean what?” Her eyes flicker back to him in confusion. Sunny sets her unfinished crane down and meanders over to her bedroom window, framed in sparkly white tulle. She stares out the window, nothing especially catching her interest as she looks back at Kevin after a few moments. “Of course we are; we’re living, breathing, our hearts are beating…If that's what you're suggesting, then yes.”

 

No, I mean... He pauses, attempting to gather some sense of composure and confidence in his tone before continuing, Are we real?

 

Something changes in the way she looks at him, and the male unknowingly shrinks back slightly.

 

Kev.” She audibly stifles a chuckle, making her way back to her swivel chair and pulling it so that it faces Kevin. She takes a seat, moistening her lips before she speaks.  "I don't know where you've suddenly gotten the balls to ask me that, but you know what?” His demeanor stiffens, and Sunny places her hands on his.

 

...Wha” 

 

I want us to be.” She silences whatever Kevin was going to say next with an almost sickeningly sweet kiss, and many more after that.